Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Hot Tempers And Cold Feet

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Speaking of large...the boobs out at the therapists office, trying to hide them behind her hair...just wear clothes that cover them!

Those boobs are the equivalent of packing snacks and meals for both of her kids.  She doesn't want to take the time to dig snacks out of a diaper bag, and the way she dresses, the older kid can help himself to snacks.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I wish I wasn’t so preoccupied with all the bad grammar - from the Americans.

Paul uses his family as collateral and for free money.  If he and Karine got divorced and she went back home, he would have to stand on his own 2 feet and he would have no excuses for being a fuckup. He is so manipulative and gross.

Colt is so trashy.  I can’t speak about him.  Jesse and Larissa... well, I can’t believe you both hooked up with that lard-o.

Angela couldn’t choke out a “please” or “thank you“ if her life depended on it.  Still just gross.  So Michael knows who is the US president.  I wonder if Angela knows who is the ruler/President.  I also noticed how she treated her “ friend” Jojo who kissed her check every time she left the scene.  Angela treated her like a hired assistant.  Her exposed titty tat would certainly gross out Michael’s family.

kalani & Asuelu - my opinion is that if you move to another country for good, you try to assimilate.   Maybe make some “white” friends...  I wonder what kind of guys Kolini dates?  Maybe do some double dates?

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

kalani & Asuelu - my opinion is that if you move to another country for good, you try to assimilate.   Maybe make some “white” friends...  I wonder what kind of guys Kolini dates?  Maybe do some double dates?

This makes me nuts. 

Brittney goes to Jordan and she's not going to be submissive because SHE'S AN AMERICAN, DAMMIT.  No.  Once you move to Jordan and marry a Muslim, you are expected to act like a Jordanian Muslim wife.  They might be willing to overlook a few things, but your twerking videos are nowhere near almost okay with them (or even with a lot of Americans).

Angela goes to Nigeria . . . same story.

Baby Girl Lisa goes to Usman's country . . . same story.

Turnabout . . . Asuelo moves to the USA and marries.  But he still wants to follow the strict Samoan tradition of financially supporting his mother . . . WHO DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN SAMOA HERSELF!!!

If people don't want to change their customs and culture, why would they move to a place where they are expected to do so?

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Her JoJo friend looks like she has a little something wrong with her, can't put my finger on it. 

Maybe being besties with Angela is a clue? I couldn’t believe how Angela barking orders at her when she was getting ready for the wedding. “Jo! Git my flowers!” “Git my dress!” “I need a cigarette!” * and JoJo running around like a servant.  

* how could I forget, “Sissy, come over here and hold up my ****!” Now that’s a loyal friend 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 17
3 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Maybe being besties with Angela is a clue? I couldn’t believe how Angela barking orders at her when she was getting ready for the wedding. “Jo! Git my flowers!” “Git my dress!” “I need a cigarette!” and JoJo running around like a servant.  

Knowing how Angela's viewing preferences lean towards trash TV, maybe she's watched so many episodes of Bridezillas that she thinks that's proper bridal behavior.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Knowing how Angela's viewing preferences lean towards trash TV,

Sadly, mine, too. But my second most viewed station is PBS. Talk about “from the ridiculous to the sublime” 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

I bet when Colt was a kid, his favorite activity was pulling wings off bugs!

He baited Larissa and then Jess.

Very passive agressive.  Very unattractive in EVERY way.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Colt is an expert shit stirrer and gaslighter. It's never okay to assault your spouse but there were times when he actively pushed Larissa knowing that she was volatile. Like the time she was being fairly quiet and subdued and he said, "I don't love you anymore." When she didn't react he smirked and raised his voice and said. "I'm going to DIVORCE you." I think he enjoys it when women get angry and riled up. He screws with their heads. IMO it's because Debbie controls him so he's getting his power back by trying to exert power over women.

My blood still runs cold when I remember this scene--Larissa is depressed, she's been in bed in a darkened room for some time. (Was it after one of her arrests? Someone will know!) But Colt, even though she has asked to be left alone, insists on going in to her, saying "Larissa? Honey? Do you need anything? You should eat something!" and so on. It was so patently, blatantly manipulative, so cold. He is a terrible person, cruel and unfeeling. He and his mother's weird, enmeshed relationship is horrifying. She's a mean old drunk, he's a sociopath. He'd goad Larissa then call the cops on her, to show her that he was in control of her life and fortunes. Why TLC continues with this creep I'll never know. He's not just pathetic, like Danielle. 

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I don't remember either but I took it to be a hangover cure.

Here in Baltimore we have something called a Boh Job, it is Natty Boh in OJ, it is good but from an outsider it may look icky so I cannot say that beer in tomato juice is icky.

Beer and tomato juice is a thing. Its usually called a Red Eye but it has lots of other names, depending where you're from: 

https://www.reference.com/world-view/tomato-juice-beer-called-7f9a3498ab0492d1

1 hour ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I really wish Angela had chosen a dress that supported her girls a bit more. At least she wasnt totin' anything in her bra down the aisle.

We don't know that! She probably has the rings and her toss bouquet down there. Along with some Slim Jims and a can of Dr. Pepper, in case she needs a little snack.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Maybe being besties with Angela is a clue? I couldn’t believe how Angela barking orders at her when she was getting ready for the wedding. “Jo! Git my flowers!” “Git my dress!” “I need a cigarette!” and JoJo running around like a servant.  

Everyone is Angela's servant, Michael should feel lucky that she only blows in to town once in a while, he can tote her bag or fetch her cigarettes for a week or so then she goes home. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Everyone is Angela's servant, Michael should feel lucky that she only blows in to town once in a while, he can tote her bag or fetch her cigarettes for a week or so then she goes home. 

Right!  People always ask why Michael puts up with this cr*p.  Um, because he knows it's only a few short days till she's back on a plane home.  Then, he FaceTimes with her a few times a day, hangs up, and goes on about his life.  All while under his guise of "love" for horrid Angie, with his MAGA hat and U.S. flag pre-packed for his flight to his new home.

Michael is smarter than us all.

He's playing the long game.  He's playing Mohamed's game (of Danielle), and he too, will win.  Michael will have so many cute American women to choose from.  I think he's adorable, and he has a sweet nature.  Cackling Angie won't be able to catch him, once he runs from her.  

Angela said he's only had sex with her once (this trip?).  What red-blooded young man would only have sex with the woman he's "madly in love with" only once, given how infrequently they see each other?  Especially on their wedding week?  He did it to appease her, as he rehearses "Oh say can you see......."   

Edited by Starlight925
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, endure said:

So creepy Paul taking Karine to a poop treatment plant and the way he was talking was chilling.  Preview looks like they do go to Brazil or maybe just a fake out, I just can't imagine she would return to the US once she got home.  How can they afford to do that?

He's taken her to a supermarket to show her how much better food shopping is in the US (vs. a country where the variety of fruits and vegetables may be more limited (so what? she know what she wants, and it's available in Brazil) but what is there is fresher and cheaper, and to a sewage treatment plant (to back up his demonstration of why it's safe to drink water from the faucet; now she knows how they strain the turds out), something that can't matter to her a fraction of how much her loneliness living with an unemployed psychopath matters to her.  How could she ever want to leave a country with such an abundance of choices in the Feminine Hygiene aisle?  How could she not want to spend the rest of her life with a creepy unemployed man who shoves maxipads and tampons in her face and demands she choose, because America is a great country?

What's *wrong* with this woman?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

It was Michael making that drink for Angela.  

It looked like a can of Heineken, tabasco sauce, and maybe some Frank's hot sauce.

Just looking at it made my stomach roll.  🤢

Apparently, it’s a normal thing and tastes amazing.  I’ll never know, since I don’t drink and if I ever decide to start, beer will be my last choice.

Beer and hot sauce

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2020 at 11:03 PM, Frozendiva said:

Kalani, you are being reasonable with your manchild husband. He has no real desire to be reasonable with you. He will agree to 'therapy' if it is with a doctor from a Samoan background and has to be male. Marriage counsellors come in both male and female versions. They don't take 'sides' but try to see both views and then help the couple make their own understanding and suggest options for communication. He only wants a male version who will side with him, as his Samoan culture overrides a marriage partnership. He wants the counsellor to validate him. A translator is a reasonable suggestion, but it won't get temper tantrum throwing Asuelu his own way. I'd probably use it as a last ditch attempt, and then send him back to Samoa so he can find a nice subservient Samoan woman who will send money to mama.

I don't understand what Kalani is angry about now.  Earlier, Asuelu was a jerk for leaving her to tote their kids *and* the luggage *and* the groceries and generally treating her like a pack mule.  She talked to him about that, several times, and apparently he's doing better in that department because she hasn't mentioned being left alone to care for the boys for a while now.  She was justifiably angry that he was playing ?basketball? with his friends and spending too much time on video games, and that apparently has been sorted out.  She didn't mention any of these completely justifiable complaints to the therapist.  At this point, it sounds to me as if she's complaining about his being Samoan.

We saw her stand down Asuelu's mother and sisters, and we saw his supportive (to Kalani) response when she told him about it, but then it seemed as if she had not heard any of what he say, misinterpreting his "I don't want my family to talk to you like that" to "why are you such a bitch to my mother and sisters?"

I totally get his wanting a Samoan therapist.  His English is OK but he can't respond quickly enough in conversation--he needs time to translate what was said into Samoan and then back into English, and like the game "Telephone" it doesn't always keep the original meaning of the message.  He needed someone (a man) who understood his culture without his having to start at ground zero to explain--in English, not his native tongue--why he did what he did and what he did not understand about what Kalani was asking of him.

It seems to me that Asuelu is trying really, really hard to do what Kalani asks of him, but he keeps fucking up because he does not understand the cultural norms behind her expectations.  I think a Samoan--a *male* Samoan--therapist is what they need.

Edited by Mothra
  • Love 11
41 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Right!  People always ask why Michael puts up with this cr*p.  Um, because he knows it's only a few short days till she's back on a plane home.  Then, he FaceTimes with her a few times a day, hangs up, and goes on about his life.  All while under his guise of "love" for horrid Angie, with his MAGA hat and U.S. flag pre-packed for his flight to his new home.

Michael is smarter than us all.

He's playing the long game.  He's playing Mohamed's game (of Danielle), and he too, will win.  Michael will have so many cute American women to choose from.  I think he's adorable, and he has a sweet nature.  Cackling Angie won't be able to catch him, once he runs from her.  

Angela said he's only had sex with her once (this trip?).  What red-blooded young man would only have sex with the woman he's "madly in love with" only once, given how infrequently they see each other?  Especially on their wedding week?  He did it to appease her, as he rehearses "Oh say can you see......."   

I think Michael has figured out that the odds of him getting to the US are slim to none but if he marries Angela, she'll go home and continue to send him money. Meanwhile, he can live a carefree life in Nigeria, financed by his American wife, and maybe even get a local girl to "tote a baby" for him. 

I'm not surprised about the claim they only had sex once this trip since they probably had an argument about something every day and went to bed angry each night. 

edited to add: Or as Andrei thought the lyrics were, "Oh say can you sing." 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I don't understand what Kalani is angry about now.  Earlier, Asuelu was a jerk for leaving her to tote their kids *and* the luggage *and* the groceries and generally treating her like a pack mule.  She talked to him about that, several times, and apparently he's doing better in that department because she hasn't mentioned being left alone to care for the boys for a while now.  She was justifiably angry that he was playing ?basketball? with his friends and spending too much time on video games, and that apparently has been sorted out.  She didn't mention any of these completely justifiable complaints to the therapist.  At this point, it sounds to me as if she's complaining about his being Samoan.

We saw her stand down Asuelu's mother and sister's, and we saw his supportive (to Kalani) response when she told him about it, but then it seemed as if she had not heard any of what he say, misinterpreting his "I don't want my family to talk to you like that" to "why are you such a bitch to my mother and sisters?"

I totally get his wanting a Samoan therapist.  His English is OK but he can't respond quickly enough in conversation--he needs time to translate what was said into Samoan and then back into English, and like the game "Telephone" it doesn't always keep the original meaning of the message.  He needed someone (a man) who understood his culture without his having to start at ground zero to explain--in English, not his native tongue--why he did what he did and what he did not understand about what Kalani was asking of him.

It seems to me that Asuelu is trying really, really hard to do what Kalani asks of him, but he keeps fucking up because he does not understand the cultural norms behind her expectations.  I think a Samoan--a *male* Samoan--therapist is what they need.

They may have to do some searching on the Internet to find one that they can have sessions via Zoom or Skype, or FaceTime, etc. They would still need a translator or maybe her dad since Kalani does not speak Samoan.

• Love 3

Just not buying the Andrei story. When you grow up in a country like that, you grow up knowing that the police are corrupt. You know the drill where you live, you know who to stay away from, who not to get involved with, etc., just like you know who is who in your neighborhood/town. We're supposed to believe Andrei chose to join the well known to be corrupt police force, saw lots of corrupt behavior, and then began pearl clutching at such things to such an extreme that he called a come to Jesus meeting with the corrupt officers, explained that he is just not into this, and they told him he is free to go. And now he's talking about all the corruption on television? With his family still living in Moldova? What?

Kalani's asshole father, Mr. tough guy knows how Asuelu was raised, but instead of acknowledging that and maybe trying to mentor him or help him adjust, he spends his time threatening him with physical violence if he upsets his daughter. Very helpful. 

I FF past Larissa, Colt, Angela and Paul so that's all I got.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, lilysmom said:

I think Paul's job search consists of showing up at a business (like to have his mother buy dog food) or a sewage facility (for a family outing) and just randomly ask a random person there if they are hiring.  When they say "no," that (in his mind) consists of an attempt to get a job. Also mom was there at the first ask, and Karine was there at the second. Obviously that is enough to convince his mom and his wife that he is out there trying really hard! And, am I remembering this correctly, he actually asked Karine if she had a good time??!! It was as if they went to the ZOO!

I'm no big fan of Dr. Phil, but something he said to multiple out of work guests over the years really stuck with me:

"When you're out of work, looking for a job is your job; eight hours a day, five days a week."

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

<snip>

Turnabout . . . Asuelo moves to the USA and marries.  But he still wants to follow the strict Samoan tradition of financially supporting his mother . . . WHO DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN SAMOA HERSELF!!!

If people don't want to change their customs and culture, why would they move to a place where they are expected to do so?

Eh...I don't think anyone should be expected to completely abandon all of their cultural norms when they move to another country.

In the case of Kalani and Asuelu, according to my research, financially supporting one's parents is a cornerstone of Samoan culture.

Does that mean Kalani, Asuelu, and their children should do without to fulfill that obligation? Absolutely not.

However, I think it would be good for their marriage and good for their relationship with Asuelu's family to effect a compromise.

If Kalani and Asuelu sit down together and look at their budget, I'll bet they could find a token amount to send to Asuelu's mother on a monthly basis, without sacrificing any necessities for themselves or their children. Maybe that amount is only $20.00 a month. But then Asuelu can go to his mother and say "Yes, I know in our culture this is the expectation, and we've gone over our finances and this is what we can afford right now" and commit to sending it to her every month.

Maybe that wouldn't satisfy his mother - but that's okay. The gesture, though, would show Asuelu Kalani respects his Samoan culture and is willing to compromise on some things; that it's not about him doing all the changing for her.

BTW... Although I know Asuelu's mother doesn't live in Samoa full time*, $20.00 USD would go far in Samoa, where the minimum wage is WST 3.00, and WST 1.00 = $0.38 USD.

*E.T.A.: We've been told she divides her time between the U S. and Samoa.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

That trip to the waste treatment plant was beyond weird. I don't get the point. It was beyond strange. Paul is such a weirdo. A scary weirdo. 

Angela's bouquet was hideous. The colors were atrocious together. I know they meant something to her, but there could have been a prettier way to do it. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Eh...I don't think anyone should be expected to completely abandon all of their cultural norms when they move to another country.

In the case of Kalani and Asuelu, according to my research, financially supporting one's parents is a cornerstone of Samoan culture.

Does that mean Kalani, Asuelu, and their children should do without to fulfill that obligation? Absolutely not.

However, I think it would be good for their marriage and good for their relationship with Asuelu's family to effect a compromise.

If Kalani and Asuelu sit down together and look at their budget, I'll bet they could find a token amount to send to Asuelu's mother on a monthly basis, without sacrificing any necessities for themselves or their children. Maybe that amount is only $20.00 a month. But then Asuelu can go to his mother and say "Yes, I know in our culture this is the expectation, and we've gone over our finances and this is what we can afford right now" and commit to sending it to her every month.

Maybe that wouldn't satisfy his mother - but that's okay. The gesture, though, would show Asuelu Kalani respects his Samoan culture and is willing to compromise on some things; that it's not about him doing all the changing for her.

BTW... Although I know Asuelu's mother doesn't live in Samoa full time, $20.00 USD would go far in Samoa, where the minimum wage is WST 3.00, and WST 1.00 = $0.38 USD.

One of the things that chapped my hide during the demands from Family Asuelu was that they wanted money to give to their church.  I get that tithing is a thing, but screw you if you want me to deprive my children to give you money for you to give away, but in your name.

Edited by Kangatush
  • Love 19
28 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Just not buying the Andrei story. When you grow up in a country like that, you grow up knowing that the police are corrupt. You know the drill where you live, you know who to stay away from, who not to get involved with, etc., just like you know who is who in your neighborhood/town. We're supposed to believe Andrei chose to join the well known to be corrupt police force, saw lots of corrupt behavior, and then began pearl clutching at such things to such an extreme that he called a come to Jesus meeting with the corrupt officers, explained that he is just not into this, and they told him he is free to go. And now he's talking about all the corruption on television? With his family still living in Moldova? What?

Kalani's asshole father, Mr. tough guy knows how Asuelu was raised, but instead of acknowledging that and maybe trying to mentor him or help him adjust, he spends his time threatening him with physical violence if he upsets his daughter. Very helpful. 

I FF past Larissa, Colt, Angela and Paul so that's all I got.

I concur on both points. Andrei's story is full of holes, but Sharp apparently relies heavily on the ignorance of their viewers. "Wow, Lurleen, those Maldavians are corrupt! Andrei is lucky he got away from all that! Of course, he zeroed in on an American girl, that's why he went to Ireland!" Because American girls are thick on the ground in Ireland. Much likelier to meet an American there than, say, an Irish girl. 

And he had to flee, but now he's free to come back, talk freely about his harrowing experience, and film himself and his family as they rove the streets of Moldova. 

Kalani's father is one of my least favorite people. He sits there and rumbles that he doesn't want his daughter to marry a Samoan man, because they don't treat their women well. And he should know. His wife and daughters walk on eggshells around him and hang on his every word. No one dares make a peep when Lo speaks. He's a jackass. He's pissed that Kalani didn't snag herself a nice blond Mormon engineer or dentist. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Those boobs are the equivalent of packing snacks and meals for both of her kids.

maybe all three of her kids! 

2 hours ago, Kid said:

Why does Elizabeth go on and on? She’s ALREADY married to him.  

"Unless you're honest with me, I'm not going to marry you [AGAIN] tomorrow..." 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm right there with you.  PBS is my palate cleanser after some of the garbage on TLC.

Ditto, I want to believe I get some brain cells back.  Hell PBS was responsible for the first reality show An American Family The Louds.  We’ve been gawking and rubbernecking ever since. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Kalani's father is one of my least favorite people. He sits there and rumbles that he doesn't want his daughter to marry a Samoan man, because they don't treat their women well. And he should know. His wife and daughters walk on eggshells around him and hang on his every word. No one dares make a peep when Lo speaks. He's a jackass. He's pissed that Kalani didn't snag herself a nice blond Mormon engineer or dentist. 

This!  Yet, Kalani's perception is completely different, and the therapy session seemed unsatisfying.

When Kalani eats a pancake and discusses therapy with her mother, she says that she is not one to be put into place, after she projects that Asuelo thinks Americans have it backward and would figure out how to put her in place.  In the therapy session, she tells the counselor that, during their engagement, she told Asuelo that she hoped that they could be equals, and he agreed to it.   The counselor concludes that Kalani comes from a culture that is egalitarian, where the husband and the wife share the responsibilities, where Asuelo comes from a paternalistic culture. 

Also, at the session, Kalani frames their problem as Asuelo's treating her like she is his property.  Asuelo explains through the translator that Kalani crossed the line between the father-head and mother-neck of the family when Kalani told the family that they're no longer going to see them, rather than letting Asuelo decide what to do.  And, in doing so, she was breaking up his family.  The therapist assigns them homework to delegate household responsibilities.  

Kalani is already creating her exit story to tell her children ("I tried everything, even therapy."), and she declared that therapy was an ultimatum to save their marriage to Asuelo.  

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, 2dogmom said:

I wish Angela had worn a Nigerian dress. the wedding venue was lovely, I had no idea Nigeria was so green.

I totally agree. Nigerian dresses are colourful and hide a multitude of sins. She could’ve probably chosen material that incorporated the colours that meant something to her and then carried a less hideous bouquet. A Nigerian headdress to cover that fried platinum straw could have completed the outfit. Same for Michael. The awful purple suit was tight and unflattering.

Save the white bridal dress for the ‘Merican event. 

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I totally agree. Nigerian dresses are colourful and hide a multitude of sins. She could’ve probably chosen material that incorporated the colours that meant something to her and then carried a less hideous bouquet. A Nigerian headdress to cover that fried platinum straw could have completed the outfit. Same for Michael. The awful purple suit was tight and unflattering.

the tailoring and structure of the women's dresses, just impeccable.  momma mykul is a beauty and has the most amazing cheekbones.

Edited by 2dogmom
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, 2dogmom said:

I actually believed Andrei and think libby is an idiot, she acts like he had a 2nd family.

Yes, just like Chantel's family sowed doubt and discord by theorizing that Pedro had a second family in the DR. (Pedro! Happy go lucky Pedro!) Busily plotting deviously so he can whittle away at Chantel's fortune. Jesus take the wheel. And now the brain trust at Sharp comes this close to hauling out that tired old story again, trying it out for Libby and Andrei. I'm looking forward to the Family Libby's investigations taking them to Ireland, where they wonder why Andrei didn't marry an Irish girl, and why he was in such a hurry to leave Ireland. Will they, too, hire a "private investigator" to uncover the truth? I'm on the edge of my seat! Oh wait.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I'm guessing that there was a lot more said at the therapy session about the ultimatums from Family Asuelu, but if not then the therapist is only getting a little of the story of the issues in the family between Kalani, and Asuelu.   When Asuelu says he feels he should give everything to his mother, and the other relatives, then I'm done with him.     Even if it's producer shenanigans, then it's still awful to say.   I can't wait for next week's show after the previews 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, endure said:

So creepy Paul taking Karine to a poop treatment plant and the way he was talking was chilling.  Preview looks like they do go to Brazil or maybe just a fake out, I just can't imagine she would return to the US once she got home.  How can they afford to do that?

They can't in Show World. In Show World they're flat broke (except for this mysterious savings that's JUST enough for plane tickets) and Pole doesn't work. 

But that's not reality. 

In reality they ARE making money and most likely are not even paying for their own travel expenses.

And that's where I am right now. It's getting harder and harder to watch this because the longer they pretend that these guys aren't on a popular TV show the more ridiculous their storylines get.

My husband has a pretty solid fan base in his niche. He's constantly being sent t-shirts, mugs, etc from other podcasters, bloggers, etc so that he'll mention them. He also does SM ads. What some of these people pay him is crazy. He can earn more in a 10-second pitch than he brings home in a month from his University teaching position-and he only has a tiny fraction of the number of followers that some of the 90 Day people do. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm guessing that there was a lot more said at the therapy session about the ultimatums from Family Asuelu, but if not then the therapist is only getting a little of the story of the issues in the family between Kalani, and Asuelu.   When Asuelu says he feels he should give everything to his mother, and the other relatives, then I'm done with him.     Even if it's producer shenanigans, then it's still awful to say.   I can't wait for next week's show after the previews 

Yeah, I figured they only video taped some of it, probably the beginning and end. We know they were there for a few hours.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just wonder if Kalani's girls stayed inside the dress the entire therapy session?          

She uses her hair to cover them up.  Maybe if showing the girls to the doc gives her the full 60 min instead of the 50 minute hour, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

My husband has a pretty solid fan base in his niche. He's constantly being sent t-shirts, mugs, etc from other podcasters, bloggers, etc so that he'll mention them. He also does SM ads. What some of these people pay him is crazy. He can earn more in a 10-second pitch than he brings home in a month from his University teaching position-and he only has a tiny fraction of the number of followers that some of the 90 Day people do. 

Did I miss something?  Who is your husband and what is his podcast?  So intrigued!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

They can't in Show World. In Show World they're flat broke (except for this mysterious savings that's JUST enough for plane tickets) and Pole doesn't work. 

But that's not reality. 

In reality they ARE making money and most likely are not even paying for their own travel expenses.

And that's where I am right now. It's getting harder and harder to watch this because the longer they pretend that these guys aren't on a popular TV show the more ridiculous their storylines get.

Definitely, I've seen Paul flogging stuff on his social media, Karine too.  I completely agree with you, it is getting harder and harder to watch some of these people whose 15 min was up months ago.  Right now my TV has on B90 Strikes Back which I abhor and don't usually watch.  A lot of times producers just don't know when to quit.   Me = turning off B90! ✋🏻🛑

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My blood still runs cold when I remember this scene--Larissa is depressed, she's been in bed in a darkened room for some time. (Was it after one of her arrests? Someone will know!) But Colt, even though she has asked to be left alone, insists on going in to her, saying "Larissa? Honey? Do you need anything? You should eat something!" and so on. It was so patently, blatantly manipulative, so cold. He is a terrible person, cruel and unfeeling. He and his mother's weird, enmeshed relationship is horrifying. She's a mean old drunk, he's a sociopath. He'd goad Larissa then call the cops on her, to show her that he was in control of her life and fortunes. Why TLC continues with this creep I'll never know. He's not just pathetic, like Danielle. 

I didn't see it that way. 

What I remember was Larissa was in bed, in the darkened room.  She didn't want Colt to come in with the camera crew.  But Colt did go in there with the camera crew.  I don't know if the producers said something like, "we need to film you guys" or if Colt just wanted to suck up to TLC.

I don't like all this, "Colt goaded Larissa."   No.  Larissa didn't have to get violent with Colt.  She wanted Colt because she wanted to be on TV.  That's why she's with Eric-ee now.  She wants to get implants and filler and the like so she can be a soft porn star, or something.  I have zero sympathy for her.  She's not a victim IMO.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did I miss something?  Who is your husband and what is his podcast?  So intrigued!

I don't really get it myself, and it's kind of silly. He's huge in Fantasy Football (to the point where even players contact him and big networks have brought him on air during the draft). Started out as a fun hobby for him to learn more about American football and then somehow exploded. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I didn't see it that way. 

What I remember was Larissa was in bed, in the darkened room.  She didn't want Colt to come in with the camera crew.  But Colt did go in there with the camera crew.  I don't know if the producers said something like, "we need to film you guys" or if Colt just wanted to suck up to TLC.

I don't like all this, "Colt goaded Larissa."   No.  Larissa didn't have to get violent with Colt.  She wanted Colt because she wanted to be on TV.  That's why she's with Eric-ee now.  She wants to get implants and filler and the like so she can be a soft porn star, or something.  I have zero sympathy for her.  She's not a victim IMO.

None of us have said that getting violent is okay.

I don't like Larissa but you can be both an asshole and a victim at the same time. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Interesting.  maybe that's why reality TV is so unreal these days.  Before SM, a reality star got paid whatever the network paid them and that was it.  But now with SM, they can make money from Instagram, You Tube, etc. 

That's probably the reason some of these folks keep their storylines going season after season.  How many seasons has Colt and Larissa been on?  Angela and Michael?  Libby and Andrei? 

3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I don't like Larissa but you can be both an asshole and a victim at the same time. 

Sorry, but I don't think she's a victim, at least not now.  Karine yes, but Larissa, nope.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I don't really get it myself, and it's kind of silly. He's huge in Fantasy Football (to the point where even players contact him and big networks have brought him on air during the draft). Started out as a fun hobby for him to learn more about American football and then somehow exploded. 

I don't follow sports much but how fun for him to be able be up front and personal during the draft and to actually make contact with the players, great for insight.  I love stories like this, the local guy gets noticed, it's a Cinderella story!  Now if you get your husband to do the same with these nutjobs we watch, that would be amazing.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

They may have to do some searching on the Internet to find one that they can have sessions via Zoom or Skype, or FaceTime, etc. They would still need a translator or maybe her dad since Kalani does not speak Samoan.

At the time this was filmed, it would have had to have been a therapist in Utah though, because most states prohibited therapists from practicing across state lines, even telehealth.

After the COVID-19 pandemic began, many states changed to allow therapists to conduct telehealth sessions only across state lines.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Numerous spelling and grammar errors, because apparently I'm tired and getting sloppy.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1