Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Friday - The Father

• Start Topic

After Sam, a London family man in crisis, rescues a troubled young girl in the woods, he brings her home to the ominous Osea Island, where inhabitants are preparing for a curious annual festival involving the island's history. As he meets Osea's secretive locals, Sam grows increasingly desperate to return to the mainland to make an important call - but the island proves difficult to escape.

Airdate 09.14.2020

• Love 1

Hello? Hello...hello...hello. Did no one besides me watch this? *crickets*

*tumbleweed blows by*

Just in case I'm not talking to myself...at the end of the episode Jude Law did not look surprised to find the 40,000 pounds in the trunk (or boot) of his car. Did anyone else get that impression? Did he steal it himself? If so, why was he surprised by the text he got from his wife about the 40,000 getting burgled? Or was that even the same money? Was it a flash forward?

Also, before he grabbed the bag and the money fell out, I totally thought that the bag was actually the striped t-shirt he had sent down the rapids and it had come back somehow. I think they were both blue and white striped.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I watched!  Because Jude Law!!! 

I had no idea what to expect going in as I had never heard of this - just saw it on the lineup and recorded.  It seems there is some supernatural stuff going on?  Lots of unexplained weirdness with the girl and the little boy - makes me wonder if they were intended to lure Jude Law's character to that island for some reason, like for that festival they are planning.  Maybe they need someone from the real world to be part of it for some reason?

I have no idea what's what with the money, but I think that's one of those supernatural things that are unexplained.  I'm ready to believe anything, even that Jude Law is in a coma and this is a weird coma-dream or that he is dead.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The overhead view of the causeway was terrifying!  I would be driving the exact same way as Jude was when he first came to the island.  I couldn't live in a place that was only accessible for a few hours a day.

I didn't know what the kids were doing at first, and it startled me when the girl jumped with the noose around her neck. 

The whole town was pretty creepy, I'm surprised Jude's character didn't try to leave as soon as possible.  Though that may have been deliberate, since he had the cash all along. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peridot said:

The overhead view of the causeway was terrifying!  I would be driving the exact same way as Jude was when he first came to the island.  I couldn't live in a place that was only accessible for a few hours a day.

That is the one of the big "suspension of disbelief" things they are asking of us.  Every island and coastal area I have been to has a thriving boating community.  There should have been a ferry that goes back and forth during the day, there should have been a marina and docks, and there should have been lots of boats!  It's weird that no one has a boat, much less a ferry.  Island dwellers tend to love fishing and swimming and sailing. 

The lack of boats makes me think this place is like Brigadoon...it only appears once every 100 years, although much more creepy than magically delicious.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This seems like another variation on Wicker Man/Midsommar, but it's only 6 episodes so I'll watch. There are worse ways to spend an hour than with Jude Law and nice cinematography.

For those who didn't know: Osea Island is a real place.

• Useful 2

OMG, watching someone hang themselves. And a kid too.

So the money hadn't been stolen at all? The guy just forgot he'd put it in his car?

What kind of illicit drugs do I need to be on to watch this series? It's like an M. Night Shyamalan fever dream. 🤤

• LOL 5

I'm intrigued! No idea what's happening, but it's spooky AF so far, and Jude Law! He is always worth watching.

I'm sure the real Osea must have ferries or boat services to take you back to the mainland, and it's gorgeous, but that is so creepy ,those stunning, terrifying overhead views of the causeway becoming engulfed by water. Of course it's nuts that nobody mentioned a boat and Jude never asked, and of course he's going to wind up sleeping with Katherine Waterston, cuz he's Jude Law, and of course, I have no idea if he was shocked to find that money or not, but I'm there next week.

• Love 2

So I finally got to watch. So good to see my sexy Pope again (tee hee) ! The place is pretty spooky, and I would have dropped that poor girl off and headed right back before the causeway closed. The people there are pretty odd (but everyone says they are good). I'm thinking since the island was/is a place for people with substance abuse problems to try to rehab maybe that's why they strike me as odd. Did Sam steal the money himself? And why is the pub owners wife so mean to him? If I talked to my hubby like that I would hear about it for sure. And sand/salt? all over the bathroom floor. Hmmm. Guess I shall keep watching to find out!

I'm a weirdo who never found Jude Law handsome, but I like his acting, and this seems creepy and atmospheric enough to hold my attention, which in these times is quite something. Wow, that hanging scene was rough. The sound effects made me think she'd snapped her neck. That was rough. 

I like it, and also thought "Wicker Man." I think there's a punish the sinner thing going on. Like, he confessed to bribing the official, so now they can punish (kill him). BTW, I always speculate and am mostly always wrong. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm always concerned when I'm told these are GOOD people. 

So did Jude put the money in the truck for a payoff, not tell his wife, then forget it was there? Does he regret sleeping with the nanny?

I guess some things will be explained. Just hope those explanations will be different than the ones they're foreshadowing with anvils.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So, that scene where Jude is in the bathroom, overhears a commotion, looks out the window, and sees the girl's overwrought father.

At one point, the father is holding the rifle and crying, and a tall man dressed in a light yellow or cream-coloured suit has his hand on the father's shoulder. That one quick shot is the only time you see this tall man. Did that figure seem odd to anyone? Kind of washed out? I got the fleeting impression that it was a ghost that only Jude was actually seeing.

Maybe I'm the only one this seemed odd to.

Mer-people?  The salt water made me think of Splash.

A hanging (you would think her neck would be broken), weird purge festivals and Village costumes, photos of the dead, and hearing “you won’t believe what these people can do.”  That’s a good start. 

Wondering why the one woman’s face was blurred out.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:44 PM, Darian said:

I'm a weirdo who never found Jude Law handsome, but I like his acting, and this seems creepy and atmospheric enough to hold my attention, which in these times is quite something. Wow, that hanging scene was rough. The sound effects made me think she'd snapped her neck. That was rough.

I find him too wiry and bug-eyed. He's especially loathsome because he schtupped his nanny while he was married.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I find him too wiry and bug-eyed. He's especially loathsome because he schtupped his nanny while he was married.

Not married. Divorced. Engaged to Sienna Miller though 😳

So...these guys gonna wheel the Wickerman out now, or are they saving that for the grand finale? 

I am often a sucker for these "creepy little town with a dark secret" stories, and this one is very Wickerman-ish (obviously I mean the one from the 70s, not the hilariously stupid Nick Cage remake) right down to the guy getting dragged into this weird town out of concern for a girl who may be in danger and this seems like it could be fun, although it could also really quickly dive into being overly weird for the sake of being weird. 

The cinematography is really nice, so even when I inevitably get super confused by the plot, I will have something pretty to look at. 

• Love 1