Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lantern7

Assassination Classroom

As we wait for the next season of My Hero Academia, Toonami is bringing us another offbeat school-based anime: Assassination Classroom. Instead of kids with "Quirks," we have a large yellow creature with lots and lots of tentacles. I know, "tentacles" and anime leads the mind to bad places. Here's a quick summary from Wikipedia . . .

The series follows the daily lives of an extremely powerful octopus-like being working as a junior high homeroom teacher, and his students dedicated to the task of assassinating him to prevent Earth from being destroyed. The students are considered “misfits” in their school and are taught in a separate building; the class he teaches is called 3-E.

. . . here's the trailer from Toonami (which does not embed here, for some reason) . . .

. . . and here's an interview I did with mangaka Yusei Matsui back in 2016.

I also got three sketches from artists based on the series. I'll share those down the line.

I never watched the anime, but I did complete the manga. It looks weird, but it's a great coming-of-age story about misfits trying to show what they can do. Also: a yellow monster with tentacles.

Edited by Lantern7

It went by so fast but let's see if I have this right. The kid who was acting the suicide bomber was protected from the blast by Korosensei's shed skin. But the grenade was filled with the anti-Koro BB's which were shown a little earlier in the episode to be quite effective in damaging Korosensei.

Obvious question: Then how was that skin able to protect anything from the anti-Koro BB's?

Now the skin would presumably be able to protect against the shrapnel of the casing and maybe diffuse the kinetic impact of the blast itself but the BB's should still have shredded it.

Edited by Terrafamilia · Reason: further thoughts

On 8/31/2020 at 7:01 PM, Terrafamilia said:

It went by so fast but let's see if I have this right. The kid who was acting the suicide bomber was protected from the blast by Korosensei's shed skin. But the grenade was filled with the anti-Koro BB's which were shown a little earlier in the episode to be quite effective in damaging Korosensei.

Obvious question: Then how was that skin able to protect anything from the anti-Koro BB's?

Now the skin would presumably be able to protect against the shrapnel of the casing and maybe diffuse the kinetic impact of the blast itself but the BB's should still have shredded it.

I think it’s that Korosensei is so fast he dodged the pellets, just like at the beginning of the ep.  

I think my favorite mystery is that he’s from Earth somehow. 

I thought Nagisa was a girl until they explicitly said it was a guy. This is all going to be some elaborate fakeout about getting them to try harder, isn't it? I have not read any spoilers, just my speculation.