Type keyword(s) to search

Married - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the show more, too. I don't like it as much as You're the Worst, but I think it's settled into a nice groove. I don't despise Russ as much as I used to. I can even sympathize with him just a little. I'd like some sort of a flashback episode, if only to show how much fun Lina and Russ were before they had kids and lost the surf shop.

Not seeing too many promotions for season 2, which is suppose to start airing in a few weeks.

Hope to see some reviews of Married and You're the Worst.

Not seeing too many promotions for season 2, which is suppose to start airing in a few weeks.

Hope to see some reviews of Married and You're the Worst.

I would see at least one promo per episode during Louie.  I haven't seen any at all for YTW, although from what I've read it isn't coming back until the Fall, so it may be a bit early still.

Looking forward to the return of both - Louie's done for the season and Maron's winding down. Got to get my cult shows going again.

Lina and Russ throw a surprise Thanksgiving; Jess and AJ decide it's best to pretend that they don't know each other.

Very well written and acted episode.

Serious subject but they wring comic moments. Where else are they going to combine "elder abuse" with "lube."

The B plot was okay, you figured it would work out in the end. Maybe they tamp down on the crazy with AJ.

The B plot was okay, you figured it would work out in the end. Maybe they tamp down on the crazy with AJ.

He seemed a more normal.  And looked like he lost some weight.

I'm not sure why Lina was having the problem she was having with Ed.  He's been married to Janice for 14 years (or since 2003, depending on which of the stated time frames you want to go by), so you'd think Lina would have gotten to know him and have a comfort level about his and Janice's relationship.  Also, Alzheimer's being progressive, Janice would have been equally "confused" if she was still married to Lina's father - would Lina have been all rape phobic if that was the case?

All in all, an okay but not great ep for me; I was as pleased about seeing the commercial for You're The Worst as I was about this premiere.

I liked this episode better than the opener dealing w/ Alzheimers, elder rape, and lube.

As soon as they entered the mansion for the party and find the Stacey and her husband fighting saying party's off, I loved how Russ automatically said her 50th birthday party will be awesome.  That was a great moment/line.

Stacey just trashing all the hors d'oeuvre's then downing the pills and dressing up in ski attire was funny.  The fact that she was actually feeding the miniatures to the dog was interesting as well, I mean that one they pulled out of the poop was huge, no dog would be able to eat that.

It was strange that Jess and Shep weren't there for the party, especially since Jess talked about how big this birthday was.

It was so awkward with Lina inviting the babysitter to the party, and then to have her show up just to say she couldn't stay due to a prior engagement.  It made me more mad that Lina didn't call her out and say that yeah, the prior engagement was babysitting for my kids.

Did we know that Lina was a substitute teacher before?

F/X really should stop shipping off their best comedies, You're the Worst and It's Always Sunny off to FXX....or as I call it, the Simpsons channel.

(edited)

"Is that...dog shit?"

"His name is Jay."   HA!

Also liked AJ sniffing the shoes in the store.

Overall I'm still enjoying the show, but so far I liked last season more.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Is anybody still watching this show? I have seen all the episodes this season and it seems to be getting weirder, if that's possible.

Last night's was about how Lina makes her daughter go on a playdate in order for her to ask the mom if they can use her beachfront condo for a spring break vacation. The oddest line is when Lina tells her daughter (who's maybe 7 or 8) how many shitty moms she has had to put up with because of her. Way beyond satire, it's crossed a line from being funny, if dark, to being simply mean.

I'm still watching (slim Summer pickings, I guess) and I agree it's getting weirder and not, to me, in a good way.

There's something about this show that really hits bad notes with me. I'm all for dark humor and just plain dark but this is just not very funny to me at this point. I'm not sure it ever was, come to think of it but now it's kind of pulling stuff out of the more unhappy parts of myself and my life that I'd rather not really see in a comedy format. Hard to describe.

Everyone on the show seems to be a miserable, unlikeable, unfully asshole.

• Love 1

I still like the show, but I agree it's gotten a bit wallowy and stagnant. I don't need there to be a lot of plot-driven nonsense, but the way they're playing it, it's hard to even remember these people are 40, not 20. They whine more than teenagers, and they seem to be completely devoid of energy for anything else.

I am totally down for a portrayal of the doldrums of middle age, but if you have the time and energy to barhop and attend parties and play hooky from work every week, how much complaining can you really do without just seeming like the problem is your personality and attitude more than your circumstances or phase of life? Am I supposed to believe this is the result of years of stuggle against an overwhelming tide? Because what I'm seeing is more like the obvious conclusion of blandness + no effort over a lifetime of ennui.

They don't even seem to be trying to portray a marriage or a family, more like a couple of middle aged slackers who got too old for a coming of age flick, lacked the money and connections to get into a Rogen-Franco romp, so decided that drunken self-pity was the only alternative.

• Love 1

Well, there's no thread for the separate shows anymore, but last night I happened to catch both episodes 6 and 7. I thought episode 6, called Murder, was the funniest storyline I've seen so far this season. Somehow a random tenant is living in the guest house and the parents end up playing hooky from work to follow him around a hardware store in disguise. She also opens the tenant's mail and figures he must have murdered his girlfriend and buried her in the yard. Very dark comedy, but I thought it was genuinely absurd and funny. I guess the writers made an effort for this episode more than the others.

I'm really surprised that no one's been posting about this show. The last two episodes have been great. Last week in The Cruise, Russ's mother, played by Joanna Cassidy, visited. And, boy, seeing her explained a whole lot about Russ and his attitude towards marriage, and life in general.

This week's episode, Mother's Day, may be the show's best episode to date. While the show is ostensibly a sitcom, it's really more of a dramady because what it does so very well is reveal the emotional complexity of the human condition through the the most mundane aspects of everyday life, in this case, dealing with their teenaged daughter, who balks at her mother's choice of a restaurant for Mother's Day brunch.

Edited by wonderwoman

I watch every week, and I liked the Mother's Day episode more than I've liked some of the others this season. I think the show is best when they are dealing with being parents, and not just whining to each other. I agree the emotional complexity with the daughter was rewarding at the end. For most of the episode, I couldn't believe they let her keep the phone, didn't ground her until she was 40, and that ANY kid would be bratty enough to refuse to let mom pick the restaurant on Mother's Day. But then they had that little chat when Lina arrived, and I thought: hmmmn.

I liked it a lot, actually. It wasn't that funny, but I didn't mind the seriousness.

I saw the end coming, with them asking Shep, even before I saw the break up. Somehow I didn't mind it being telegraphed, because I didn't see how it was going to work. I kept thinking: are they actually trying to convince us that she's not as dysfunctional as she looks? Is that supposed to be the great reveal, i.e. that she really is networking for some great business opportunity, and she really is a responsible parent? I was actually pleased they didn't show that, because I think it's a fantasy that happens in Hollywood, that everyone is actually redeemably wonderful, despite all evidence. In my life, I've known far more people who are worse than you'd hope than better than you'd think.

• Love 1

This was probably one of the show's best episodes, the murder one would be the other if only for Martin Starr. I'm so glad that the show called Jess on her crap,for a long time I thought they were going for 'lovable screw up' with her when her actions were actually neglectful and maybe borderline abusive towards her husband and son. Shep has always come across as a really nice guy and totally undeserving of her attitude. Shep's schtick isn't that dissimilar to Paul in Mad About You and I used to find it kind of annoying in him but it works more from Shep as his sarcasm is more low key and resigned and he has a lot to be unhappy with. I loved the bit where she told Shep she 'just wants to be happy' and he pointed out that everyone wants that. Kudos to him for being so sweet to her at the end but I think he has been pretty much over her for a long time. Hopefully and presumably he will have custody of Harrison and the kid can now have a birthday party wherever he wants.

Edited by AllyB

I've read that the ratings for season 2 are even lower than they were for season 1, so I'm wondering if it will be cancelled. I haven't seen any advertising for this show, either....are there about 3 episodes left now? I guess we'll find out if it'll be back next summer by the fall. Part of the problem is that the show may not know what it wants to be exactly...comedy, drama, or somewhere in between?

• Love 1

Yeah not much activity here either so pretty sure the show's done, unless FX has no other shows lined up.  But that isn't going to be the case since there are dozens of pilots produced for every one that makes it on the air.