Type keyword(s) to search

Media Ninjas: ANW in the Media

• Start Topic

There's a discussion of walk-ons in the Philadelphia thread.  Here's an eye-opening article (long, but really detailed and interesting) about one ninja's experience this year. 

A Tale of Two Cities - Walk-On Edition

Every day was a rat race—make sure you’re at check-in on time, do something to stay sane and in shape, make sure you’re at check-out on time. Then, a few hours to try and recover the inevitable losses, whether physical, emotional, or monetary.

• Love 4

Thanks for posting the above link!  Fascinating.  Well-written too.  The walk-on line isn't anything like what I'd imagined and now I'm wondering why it's handled the way it is.  If the people have assigned numbers, why do they have to be physically present for weeks in advance?  I must be missing something.  I'm also wondering what the writer does for a living that allows him to take so much time off.

• Love 1

So.....going in they know that only the first twenty will get a chance?   I wondered if the producers were picking and choosing from the huge lines that we've seen.  Apparently not.

Why would anyone get in line at slot 57?  

Now I'll look at walkons with a whole new respect for what they've gone through because they definitely start with a major disadvantage.  

• Love 2

I just have a general question about the contestants. How do these people make a living all year when they have to train so hard for a slight chance at a million dollars? I know a lot of them to have regular jobs, but it does not seem unusual for the top contenders to quit to run Ninja gyms...is this stable? Also, I stopped watching after Isaac Caldiero won the million dollars in season 10 until this year. I really thought the first winner of this competition was going to become a big star considering how they promote the hell out of anyone with a back story. It is odd that it was not more of a media sensation since no one else had accomplished it and no one else has since. It almost seems like they did not really like the guy who won and would have preferred it to be someone more charismatic and camera friendly.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I just have a general question about the contestants. How do these people make a living all year when they have to train so hard for a slight chance at a million dollars? I know a lot of them to have regular jobs, but it does not seem unusual for the top contenders to quit to run Ninja gyms...is this stable? Also, I stopped watching after Isaac Caldiero won the million dollars in season 10 until this year. I really thought the first winner of this competition was going to become a big star considering how they promote the hell out of anyone with a back story. It is odd that it was not more of a media sensation since no one else had accomplished it and no one else has since. It almost seems like they did not really like the guy who won and would have preferred it to be someone more charismatic and camera friendly.

I think the more established Ninjas, like Drew and Daniel, get a decent number of gigs as motivational speakers or running local Ninja courses. I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are a decent number of groups that are willing to pay them a few thousand dollars to come and talk and run some Ninja training for a few hours.

Then there are the folks who own or work at Ninja gyms. If they are regulars on the show then they can probably get people to pay a decent monthly membership or run special events that people pay to attend that make an ok amount of money.

The walk ons are the ones who I think are nuts. Someone posted an article on a walk ons experience and it was insane. They have to get to the line by a certain day and then check in every morning and afternoon for weeks on end, like 2-3 weeks. And then they might get a chance to run the course but they might not. Most of them are not aired in full, even when they advance. They don't have the option of getting jobs because they need to train and check in. Plus paying for hotels and food and the like.

I am also guessing that the people who are invited to participate, the non- walk ons (drew and comp) are provide with a stipend or a pay check of some sort. The Ninja's who fail and are there cheering on their friends are probably paid to be there.

If you are someone in your early 20's and have an ok story or do really well on the show and with the fans, I can see you making some good money based on the show. More then enough to cover your expenses and give you the time to train.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2018 at 7:12 AM, JenMD said:

There's a discussion of walk-ons in the Philadelphia thread.  Here's an eye-opening article (long, but really detailed and interesting) about one ninja's experience this year. 

A Tale of Two Cities - Walk-On Edition

I read it. There’s gotta be a better way to do that. Yes, walk-on ninja stories are awesome if they become regulars, but the current system feels like a drain. I’ll have to check if an “Improve ANW” thread exists.

I like Grant. Seriously, there’s no one that I wish to fail so early, let alone break bones.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And guys like Grant . . . he worked for an airline, so got to travel for free.  And when he gets to the ANW cities, he gets a lifetime supply of free t-shirts, so he doesn't have to buy clothes.

hahahahahaha.  I don't know why that tickled me so much.  I've got a closet full of endurance ride shirts - haven't bought a t-shirt in 20 years, so I guess I can relate.  haha

• Love 3
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

There is a parkour/ninja gym in my area with several locations which does quite nicely for itself.  They got into the birthday party business, and run a bunch of kid's classes in addition to providing training for adults.  About 3/4 of the employees have been on the show, at least 2 have been to Vegas, according to their online bios, but no one I remember ever having heard of.  So in the right market, and with some smart management, running a gym can work out pretty well, even if you're not a superstar ninja gym owner like Drew.

• Love 4

I don't think you even need to be a superstar.  A friend of mine opened a gym a few years ago that featured silks and hoops, kind of cirque d'soleil style acrobatics.  She made it work by marketing to schools for field trips, birthdays, etc.  I expect that the same approach would work for a ninja gym regardless of whether the instructors were well-known.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, ProfCrash said:

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2018/09/competing-in-ninja-warrior-can-lead-to-success-and-a-lot-of-attention/slide/1/

An article on Ninja Warrior and what some of the Ninjas are doing. I had not thought about being an obstacle tester.

If you look on youtube, you can find video of Joe Moravsky testing stage 2 and 3 this year.  He only got one run on each.  He fell on the first wingnut in stage 2.  On stage 3 he got past the ultimate cliffhanger but then fell on the next one, forget what it's called but where you are pushing hands and feet against 2 plexiglas walls and have to shuffle along that way.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, Lantern7 said:

Why, Natalie?

Natalie, you deserved a better photograph.  All the other women looked great, and their clothes looked date worthy.  Why did you  let them use your grimace and ninja gear?  

If anyone would like to discuss American Ninja Warrior Jr., please create a topic for that show in the Other A Show area. This forum is for discussion of American Ninja Warrior and this topic, in particular, for just the media about that show. Thanks!

I am watching the USA vs. the World now.  They are doing the exact same challenges as they had in the regular season, that's unfair and gives a major leg up to the team USA...  Though Aussies are slaughtering it currently.

Also, they are still doing their "while you were away" shtick.  Seriously?  On a two-hour special?  Otherwise, exactly what you would expect.  

@Hellga. . .  .I started a thread just now. And yes, it might be better if the course was set up in a neutral nation. Or have NBC fly in the ninjas and give them two weeks to train.

ETA: How is Kacy fitting into the WWE? Once again, I cant see someone five-foot-nothin' being in that arena . . . unless Ronda Rousey uses her as an impromptu weapon.

Edited by Lantern7

I saw someone mention that Kacy made her WWE debut in the Royal Rumble tonight. I didn't hear how she did there, but I looked up some matches she had in the fall in NXT, WWE's minor leagues. She's doing a pretty unique style. They matched her up against bigger women, and she's basically doing gymnastic routines using her opponent as apparatus. In the comments people seem to like her jackrabbit style. Being in the WWE proper is a good sign.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:10 PM, Lantern7 said:

How is Kacy fitting into the WWE? Once again, I cant see someone five-foot-nothin' being in that arena . . . unless Ronda Rousey uses her as an impromptu weapon.

The fights are choreographed well in advance so I'm sure they use her height (or lack thereof) in a visually interesting way.

Has anyone ever attended a show? For the first time, it's going to film in my state (WA), and it's soooo close to my home, and it's so tempting to try to get tickets. Though by now, I think I'd be so far at the end of the waitlist, that it wouldn't happen. I believe Lance will be there for sure, not sure who else.

(edited)

I think this is pretty cool actually, and wonder how it will change the thought process of those who went for the mega wall last season! 

Basically, they get three attempts on the mega wall but CANNOT go back to the regular wall if they don’t get up the mega. Cash prize diminishes depending on what try they succeed on. 

I am just SO freaking excited for my show to come back!!

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 2
On 5/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

New season starts Weds, May 29th; moves to regular time on Mondays June 17th.

. . . and I just discovered it’ll run opposite The Amazing Race. Almost like NBC and CBS know what I like, and they’re just twisting the knife. I know it’s just three weeks, but it’s still a pain.

Also, I’m going to watch the first episode the next day because MTV is giving the Challenge reunion two hours. If you’re interested, Natalie Duran will be there. She did pretty well for herself. I’m okay with her transitioning, but I don’t want her bringing in ninjas with more potential.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, Lantern7 said:

. . . and I just discovered it’ll run opposite The Amazing Race. Almost like NBC and CBS know what I like, and they’re just twisting the knife. I know it’s just three weeks, but it’s still a pain.

Also, I’m going to watch the first episode the next day because MTV is giving the Challenge reunion two hours. If you’re interested, Natalie Duran will be there. She did pretty well for herself. I’m okay with her transitioning, but I don’t want her bringing in ninjas with more potential.

I wonder why it will be on Wednesday for the first few weeks?

(edited)

Since there's going to be promotion for The Secret Life of Pets 2, ANW let dogs take their turns at the [modified] Warped Wall.

ETA: . . . . aaaaaaaaand it got taken down. Of course.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

In case you didn't hear: NBC is pre-empting the Oklahoma City Qualifiers for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The next new episode will be on Monday, June 17. That means the Wednesday airings are over.

• Useful 1
On 6/10/2019 at 8:47 PM, Lantern7 said:

In case you didn't hear: NBC is pre-empting the Oklahoma City Qualifiers for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The next new episode will be on Monday, June 17. That means the Wednesday airings are over.

According to my TV listings, the OKC qualifiers will premier this Friday night and then re-air on Monday night. 

3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

According to my TV listings, the OKC qualifiers will premier this Friday night and then re-air on Monday night. 

Mine say that NBC will be re-airing the Atlanta qualifiers.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, Lantern7 said:

Mine say that NBC will be re-airing the Atlanta qualifiers.

My listings have since been updated to show the Atlanta repeat on Friday, new episode on Monday.   Sorry about the confusion. 

Spoiler

ANW’s Facebook page accidentally posted who the final two are earlier today. The post was quickly deleted but the damage was done, nearly every comment was a very ticked off viewer! Posting that info below if anyone wants to know. 

Spoiler

It comes down to a Stage 4 race between Drew and Daniel Gil. 

• Love 1