Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: The Honeymoon is Over

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, topanga said:

Every episode, I wonder if Karen, Henry, or Olivia could be depressed—Henry could also have anxiety or be on the autism spectrum. They are all so low-energy. You can throw Christina and Brett into the low-energy group as well. Are they all that unhappy with their matches, or are these their baseline personalities?

Since Karen is often eating and tired, I wondered if she was depressed, too. 

5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I would guess Woody, Amani, and Miles don't make a ton because education isn't known for paying high salaries, and the show hasn't spun this narrative with them. (I would bet Karen makes more than Miles.)

This show casts a bunch of educators and people who work for non-profits. The poor educator narrative would annoy me. What does Karen do?  I remember her power couple aspirations but not her job title.  

30 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I found a document that lists government jobs and their pay rates in NO.

https://www.nola.gov/getattachment/Civil-Service/Classification-and-Compensation/Pay-Plan-(1)/Pay-Plan-Eff-6-7-20-(PDF)-(1).pdf/?lang=en-US

There is no System Administrator listed (which did not surprise me, I had never heard that title mentioned in a gov't job) but here are a few IT jobs with their minimum, maximum and the rate you get when hired. 

Thanks for the link.  Since I also work in local government, I looked up the salary range for my job title and also looked at listings for houses for sale in downtown New Orleans. It was interesting to see that government salaries are about 30% less than they are where I live while housing is about 50% less. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

This video gives you a good idea of why it is so difficult to buy in NYC.

It depends on where in NYC. Not all of NYC is Manhattan.  A friend of mine bought a co-op apartment just over a year ago, a very large one-bedroom in a really nice neighbourhood in Queens for $220,000. It takes around 30 mins on the subway into Manhattan, or about 20 mins to Penn Station on the LIRR. His mortgage is less than the rent he was paying on his old studio rental (also in Queens, but closer to Manhattan and thus more expensive.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, RaeSpellman said:

What does Karen do?  I remember her power couple aspirations but not her job title.  

She's a project manager. Could be lucrative depending on her industry.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Would be awesome if Brett dropped in here to have a few beers with his bench full of supporters...

Judging by everyone’s reactions to all things Brett on Unfiltered, I would caution that the Pro-Brett support might be premature. I find it interesting that the ladies particularly (Including his wife) have been pretty openly hostile when talking about Brett with Jamie O. I am curious about what will be upcoming with Brett and Olivia because I cannot imagine the disdain is a result of just the bachelor party footage.....

Having said that, the last few episodes have been kinder to Brett than Olivia. And I will always love his immediate shut down of meddling ChristinA. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Judging by everyone’s reactions to all things Brett on Unfiltered, I would caution that the Pro-Brett support might be premature. I find it interesting that the ladies particularly (Including his wife) have been pretty openly hostile when talking about Brett with Jamie O. I am curious about what will be upcoming with Brett and Olivia because I cannot imagine the disdain is a result of just the bachelor party footage.....

Having said that, the last few episodes have been kinder to Brett than Olivia. And I will always love his immediate shut down of meddling ChristinA. 

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so here goes: I loved the part in the most recent episode when Olivia's face started contorting and she began to cry, and Brett got up, looking like he was going to stalk out of the room, only to come back with a tissue that he'd retrieved for her. I sort of feel like that's symbolic of how the Brett edit has been handled all along. He's bad! No, wait, he's good! But maybe he's bad!  Then again, I'm probably an idiot for attempting to read any kind of symbolism into this half-witted show. 😉

I'm still pretty sure that Brett's a dog with women. I wouldn't let hiim anywhere near my platinum vagine (TM Corinne) in a million years. But if he wants to engage in snark and knock back a couple beers on the bench with me, I'll hold out a space for him. He seems like he'd be a funny friend.

Also, reading Brett's reddit posts just underscores further how mismatched he and Olivia really are (even though he pointedly doesn't say anything about her or their outcome). He's got a ready wit, and she is humorless. You can't have just one funny person in a relationship. Trust me, TheBiggerBopper and I crack each other up all the time, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by TheMediumBopper
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so here goes: I loved the part in the most recent episode when Olivia's face started contorting and she began to cry, and Brett got up, looking like he was going to stalk out of the room, only to come back with a tissue that he'd retrieved for her. I sort of feel like that's symbolic of how the Brett edit has been handled all along. He's bad! No, wait, he's good! But maybe he's bad!  Then again, I'm probably an idiot for attempting to read any kind of symbolism into this half-witted show. 😉

I'm a complete skeptic when it comes to most things and I think Brett got up to get the box of tissues to make himself look good in front of Cal or was producer driven. The face that he made before getting up was a pissy one designed to lead us to believe he walks out of room but all of a sudden we see him being a gentleman and getting her tissues. Bah.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Judging by everyone’s reactions to all things Brett on Unfiltered, I would caution that the Pro-Brett support might be premature. I find it interesting that the ladies particularly (Including his wife) have been pretty openly hostile when talking about Brett with Jamie O. I am curious about what will be upcoming with Brett and Olivia because I cannot imagine the disdain is a result of just the bachelor party footage.

Brett's problematic. Still I appreciate what he brings to the show and  take Amani and Christina's opinions about him w/ a grain of salt.

On Unfiltered, Amani had stuff to say about Miles and his ten relationships, too. She's pretty judgy for someone who has engaged in some questionable behavior of her own.  Smitten or not, her husband isn't necessarily better than the husbands she's criticizing. 

So far Amelia is the only one who hasn't said something negative about Brett. Even though he might be as sensitive as Miles, as insecure as Henry, and as full of himself as Woody, nobody seems to like him. For now, I'm just interested in watching his plot unfold. If Amelia becomes hostile toward Brett, maybe then I'll start disliking him, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

I'm a complete skeptic when it comes to most things and I think Brett got up to get the box of tissues to make himself look good in front of Cal or was producer driven. The face that he made before getting up was a pissy one designed to lead us to believe he walks out of room but all of a sudden we see him being a gentleman and getting her tissues. Bah.

I saw the pissy face, too, and was actually rooting for Brett to do the walk-out. I just don't like Olivia at all. When he returned with the Kleenex, I thought, "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I saw the pissy face, too, and was actually rooting for Brett to do the walk-out. I just don't like Olivia at all. When he returned with the Kleenex, I thought, "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din."

My guess is her crying is a recurring theme when the cameras aren't on and it's almost like he did it was a "here we go again" passive aggressive swipe.  

So of course I loved it!

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Every time Henry says Christina is “impatient” I can’t help but think he’s too kind to say what he really means...”total bitch.”  To me, couching it in “impatient” downplays her truly unpleasant personality. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I sort of feel like that's symbolic of how the Brett edit has been handled all along. He's bad! No, wait, he's good! But maybe he's bad!  Then again, I'm probably an idiot for attempting to read any kind of symbolism into this half-witted show. 😉

I'm still pretty sure that Brett's a dog with women. I wouldn't let hiim anywhere near my platinum vagine (TM Corinne) in a million years. But if he wants to engage in snark and knock back a couple beers on the bench with me, I'll hold out a space for him. He seems like he'd be a funny friend.

3 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Brett's problematic. Still I appreciate what he brings to the show and  take Amani and Christina's opinions about him w/ a grain of salt.

I agree with all of this. He’s direct and has a snarky wit I appreciate. Maybe it’s just the ladies rallying around “their friend” Olivia on Unfiltered. Brett has nobody on the guys side to connect with - I mean look at it: Miles and Woody are already friends, and I really don’t see Brett having anything in common with Bennett or Henry who we already know can’t stand him.

I also agree that he and Olivia are completely mismatched, but I think we all saw that coming from the get-go. It’s just that the unraveling has taken a surprising turn a little bit with Olivia’s unpleasant side showing up. At first I thought it was going to be a “Poor Olivia” situation along the lines of a Kate, Amber or Mindy. Now I’d ay it’s about 50-50.......

Personality-wise, he reminds me a little bit of Jon, the husband of Molly. 

• Love 2

Good for Brett that he bought a house; ownership isn't for everyone though & he didn't have to be snobby about it (yes, Olivia is snobby in her own way-I'm still stuck in the middle not liking either of them). It's wonderful he helps the animals & his cat is awesome, but that doesn't mean he's an all around great guy. I love me some snark but I'm not forgetting his bachelor party behavior & some of his passive aggressive responses. I'm seeing issues with him but am patiently waiting out the season to see what happens next...

• Love 4
19 hours ago, RaeSpellman said:

Henry could also have anxiety or be on the autism spectrum.

I noticed a significant facial "tic" on Henry that seemed to become more pronounced as Cal's "interrogation" progressed.  It was almost like a "Tourette's-type" reaction to stress.  

Later (I think in either a recap or a preview) Henry was seen storming down the hallway in quick pursuit (seemingly) of an elevator to get himself physically (and, presumably emotionally) out of this situation PRONTO.

It's very hard to believe that Henry's social anxiety was not revealed to the experts during the selection process. How they selected him to participate in the show (and he permitted them to recruit him) is really troublesome.

His entire "performance" reminds me of a hostage video.  I hope Henry pulls out of the show ASAP.  It's hard watching someone suffer.

• Love 5

The "moving in" episodes are always some of my favorites. I very voyeuristically love seeing how they live, their closets and the stuff they choose to decorate with.  It does puzzle me that some of them, knowing they'll be gone for a couple of weeks and then will be bringing their new spouse to their homes, leave mountains of trash (Miles), piles of clothes on the bed (Woody) and chaotic closets (usually most of the women). 

Olivia and Brett are looking rather bleak as a long-term prospect. I don't disagree with either of their defenses (she likes expensive activities, he doesn't; she rents and he has saved to own a house; she has debt and he saves carefully). A lot of couples have similar discrepancies; here, though, they don't know each other and are hard-pressed to compromise when they barely know one another and aren't even certain where the other is coming from (as pointed out here- does she not want to share her money? Or is she expecting that he'll want to spend similarly to her? Or does she want him to help pull her out of debt?  Does Brett think a person who has racked up debt is a no-go? Is he really scornful of a renter or just awkwardly proud that he is able to have a house at a young age?) Personally I can attest that in her position as a nurse practitioner in a Neurosurgery unit, she is probably making in the $120k range, which makes me side-eye a little her admission that she has accrued debt (let's assume credit card and maybe an expensive car) and that she hasn't considered buying a home. Or for that matter, doesn't live in what looks like an expensive apartment with nice furnishings. As for Brett, I think his saving and home ownership are admirable, but that doesn't excuse his scornful comments about "wasting" money on rent or his off-hand comments that he will not go on vacations. As others have said, they could have reached a compromise (you pitch in 35% and I'll pitch in 65%, for example) and prioritize recreational expenses vs housing/home improvement expenses. But they aren't there yet and likely won't ever be, because being so openly disdainful of another person's choice of priorities is a really bad way to start a relationship.

I was really off-put by Woody's comparison of an ex making a huge decision about an abortion to Amani's cutting her hair, but reading the comments here and re-thinking the progression of that conversation I get it now. It's good they drilled down on that topic, as it would be easy for either one to abruptly end the talk and walk away with totally wrong impressions (Woody: "she thinks it's ok to make major decisions independent of me," and Amani: "he wants to control every aspect of my life." I think they have a good chance to succeed.

Karen is using the "I was hurt before and I don't want to be hurt again" song as a way to keep Miles at arm's length and justify the fact that she thinks he's too young, she doesn't like whatever she read on his Instagram page, and that she's too good for him. I feel badly for him because I think he really wants this and she has already checked out.

I can't get over the fact that Christina has said several times on camera how she is baffled that, unlike other men, Henry hasn't fallen all over her and told her "how beautiful I am." Even if that were true (doubtful), it's so weird to bring that up repetitively. I think she is in love with a completely unrealistic ideal (i.e., flowers, romance, sweeping her off her feet) and she isn't at all invested in knowing Henry. Not that he is easy to draw out, but we've seen other couples in seasons past where the attraction/match was just not there, or something we didn't see happened (a grave lie committed, or a horrible comment made) that just doomed the relationship from the get-go.  I am wondering if that happened here. I know if I were just meeting someone who was supposed to be a great match for me, and they were more consumed with forgetting their earrings or sniped at people before they walked down the aisle, I would have immediate doubts. 

Bennett and Amelia are cute, and although I could never in a million years fallen for a guy like him, I see that they are very compatible. He would drive me nuts- the filthy feet, the naiveté about money, the apparent total disinterest in living an adult life, the weird clothing choices. But to each his own. I am sure he will trail along with her wherever she lands in residency.

• Love 7
On 8/28/2020 at 12:28 AM, topanga said:

The episodes of drag sometimes, although this one didn’t. I was actually surprised when we’d already reached previews for next week. 

Most of the people from this season confuse me. Every episode, I wonder if Karen, Henry, or Olivia could be depressed—Henry could also have anxiety or be on the autism spectrum. They are all so low-energy. You can throw Christina and Brett into the low-energy group as well. Are they all that unhappy with their matches, or are these their baseline personalities? Jeez. 

On reality TV you're used to people being amped up.  Regular people are not like reality people for the most part. If you're on TV encourage you to amp it up because the camera flattens out some of your perceived energy.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, essexjan said:

I'm not particularly keen on Brett or Olivia, but I'm on Team Brett this week. Olivia may earn more than him, but she's spending more than she can afford if she's in debt.  I know it's not unusual to have credit card debt, but I get the impression Olivia's been spoiled and always got what she wanted growing up, so she doesn't see why she can't have it all now, even if it means paying a shit-ton of interest on those good times.

Henry and ChristinA are a train wreck, but this week he was definitely looking the more attractive of the pair. So she lives out of her car and sofa surfs between friends when she's not flying between cities.  She has a sense of entitlement that isn't borne out by her circumstances. I also don't believe that multiple men have told her she's the most beautiful woman they've ever seen because she has Resting Bitch Face, a weak (and slightly double) chin, and an attitude that's really quite unpleasant. Nothing beautiful about that at all.

I still adore Bennett and Amelia. I think he's a great match for her.  She wants a career and also a husband and a family, but if she's been in school then she's been amongst men who are equally career-driven and she's probably wondered how she could have this with someone who's also a high-achieving professional. But with Bennett, she could pursue her career, he could (as he said) take care of kids and pursue his creative projects from home. I think they are probably the most well-matched people I've ever seen on this show. If they don't make it, I will be bereft!

Edited by Kira53
I don't remember to proofread.
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, pdlinda said:

His entire "performance" reminds me of a hostage video.  I hope Henry pulls out of the show ASAP.  It's hard watching someone suffer.

Man, is this ever true. A hostage video! Did his female friends force him to do this? Is this why Kristin brought him to the initial interview? Can we send in a negotiator? Free Henry! 

• Love 5

Henry's reason for his stand offish behavior is Christi-NA's impatience.

List of synonyms for impatience and what she must be showing to HennyPen....I totally see all of them towards him.

anger

annoyance

anxiety

edginess

excitement

nervousness

restlessness

uneasiness

agitation

avidity

disquietude

expectancy

fretfulness

hastiness

impetuosity

intolerance

irritability

rashness

restiveness

shortness

suspense

vehemence

violence

irritableness

quick temper

snappiness

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Brett does seem to be a rather good sport on reddit. I stopped reading once it turned into a gamer discussion board.

I can’t help but wonder what kind of friends would put Henry up to this knowing what they do about him Unless he’s a completely different person with them? 
Free Henry indeed and hopefully he does that for himself sooner than later. 

When Christina walked into their apartment she started criticizing the arrangement and wanted to move furniture right away. I dojo’s just see Henry over there withering. For a girl who lives in her car, she sure is picky. 

I must not be as observant because it took me ages to notice that Loren had a tic so I haven’t really seen it in Henry  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I must not be as observant because it took me ages to notice that Loren had a tic so I haven’t really seen it in Henry  

I was Loren's condition that immediately registered with me when I saw Henry's response to every conversation while he was on the couch with christina and Dr.Cal.

• Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, qtpye said:

Brett is a guy that likes to keep his life simple and in control. He works a forty hour low stress job that lets him go home, play with his cat, work out, and tinker with his hobbies. His field can pay very well but perhaps he does not want the stress that a higher salary would bring. He does not mind his current pay and everything will be alright as long as he is diligent with his finances.

Olivia reminds me of a lot of people with high pressure and high end jobs. She works very hard and enjoys helping other people. She probably does not get a lot of time off and feels that she more than deserves treating herself well. This means living life to the fullest.

She wants a man to go out with her and party. Unlike Amelia, she also wants that man to at least split the bill. She is not interested in supporting a homebody that makes half her salary. 
They are doomed.

The thing is when you are highly attracted to someone then you put up a lot of blinders to their faults. Amelia is over the moon with Bennett. In some ways he is her dream man.

Being a house husband or wife is difficult/tedious and gets no respect in this society. A doctor’s spouse has to be extremely independent. If Bennett takes on this role with vigor, there should be no issues.

However, if Bennett totally ignores the kids, lets the house fall apart, and Amelia finds out that he spent thousands of dollars for fancy music equipment, then there might be problems down the road when the bloom wears off the rose.

Similarly, I don’t think Miles’ depression would be an issue if Karen was highly attracted to him. She would happily agree to work things out together.

My parents were a lot like Brett and Olivia that way.  My Dad worked the low stress/lower paying job and my mother worked the high stress/higher paying job.  My father was kind of a tight wad and my mother was the spender.  My mother had refined gourmet/designer tastes and the desire to travel while my father was happy eating pot roast and grilled cheese and tinkering with his radio making hobbies all day at home (he TOTALLY would have been geek squad gamer Brett if he were born later!).  My father was like the Daily News, my mother the New York Times.  And yet they were married in 1954 until my mom passed in 2001. 

Why did it work?  Because they fell in love.  They had a lot in common in spite of these differences.  Plus my Dad was OK with my mother managing the finances and took a very accepting attitude about what she chose to spend on - with some limits, which they talked over and worked out together.  And it was all because of something similar to what you said in your next response about Amelia and Bennett - That when you click with and fall in love with someone you put up with things that you don't love about them and somehow it all works out.  But you have to be flexible and not always have to have your own way.  I think it depends on how you feel about the person and not being too into yourself that you can't make some sacrifices to be with them.  I made some amazing sacrifices to be with my husband but I wouldn't have it any other way because I love him that much.  So I think these two could work out their financial differences if they had enough in common and "clicked" and perhaps were more emotionally mature, which unfortunately is not happening.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, OnTime said:

She is the best!  I would have loved to see a pic of Homecoming Queen Amelia!

Can anyone parallel park like she did? That was so smooth.

I lived in the Bronx for the first 33 years of my life and had to park on the street so yes, I'm queen of the 3 move parallel park.  I'm even good at it on the left side of the street, LOL.  And it's a skill that never left me - even now when I go down to the city I can still pull that off without the assistance of anything but rear and side view mirrors.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, gonecrackers said:

Henry is getting a weird edit & I think he & ChristinA have talked more than we know, & he knows things about her he doesn't like. Previews say he's concerned about a "pattern of dishonesty", & with her previous living arrangements being unclear I'm curious as to what he will have to say. This could've started early (like even at the wedding when she told him where she was supposedly living), but we don't know what he's picking up on yet. Whether from nerves or something particular, I feel badly for him when they zoom in on his tics - shithead editors as usual.

Yeah, I've had that sense too.  I think she may have told him something about her past relationships that he didn't approve of - like that she had an affair with a married man, hence his remark about the "pattern of dishonesty".

On 8/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, TheMediumBopper said:

I want to know what high school Amelia went to where she was voted Homecoming Queen. It makes me wonder if she's changed a lot since high school or just went someplace really progressive and accepting. There was no way in hell a person who wore elastic-waist pants like Amelia was going to be elected Homecoming Queen at my bitchy high school, unless there was a bucket of pig blood waiting at the end of it. Good for you, Amelia!

Actually, in my sleuthing I found photos of her from years ago and even in college she was nowhere near the kooky mess she is now.  Her hair was combed and her clothing more conventional.  She just looked neat and put together.  This disheveled "look" of hers appears to be something she adopted recently.

• Love 5
On 8/27/2020 at 7:28 PM, Ilovepie said:

I was just going to say this - sometimes a spender/saver couple help each other! My husband & I make equivalent money - he is in sales so sometimes he makes more, and sometimes I do. We both make good money though either way. I love to shop and travel, and he would rather save the money (for what I don't know). At different times we compromise though, and this enriches both of of our lives because he lives in a nicer house than it would be on his own, and we have traveled to places he would never have visited on his own. I, on the other hand, would have finances like Olivia left to my own devices (which is terrible to admit - I'm an accountant for shit's sake, but my interest in financial matters kind of dies when I leave my office, sadly). It is possible to compromise if you are invested in the relationship! Which, unfortunately, neither of these people are.........

This sounds a lot like what I was saying about my parents.  The problem with Brett and Olivia is that they just haven't clicked on any real level so all of their differences are going to seem magnified to them.  When you get sweet on someone and fall in love you suddenly find ways to work these differences out or be more patient and flexible.  Or you would be thankful that if you were too much of a spender your spouse could help reel you back in, or if you were too much of a tight wad that your spouse would help you see that you could still save but have money aside to spend on travel and entertainment.  But the major problem is that she was probably looking for a guy who could help get her out of debt, so she's never going to be positively disposed to anything Brett has to offer.  So she's giving off these negative vibes and he's picking up on them and sending his own negative vibes back, which is only making them ever finding anything to like about each other impossible.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Starlight925 said:

Re:  Brett's interests.  He's into his tools/work area (not sure what he makes/builds, but it takes up a lot of his room), working out, gaming, and hanging with his family (they do seem close).  Olivia's interests simply cost more money:  One Saints game for 2 can cost $300+, when you factor in tickets, parking, food.  One trip, say a domestic location like Napa, can cost several thousand $.

They simply don't have interests that line up, it seems.  Heck, this would be such an easy compromise:  one Saints game a year to attend, plus have Saints viewing parties/sports bars for the others.  Travel to drivable destinations, except maybe one flying trip every other year.  Stuff like that.

Each has their heels dug in so far, it hurts.

Brett thinks he's better than Olivia because he owns, and she thinks she's better than Brett because she lives in a "cute bungalow" filled with ancient tchotzkes.  For the record, I don't think either is better than the other, but they are sitting on opposite sides of the fence, heels dug in like toddlers who are being made to eat asparagus.

That's pretty much what I said earlier in the thread - that the more these two don't find commonality the more they retreat to opposite corners and pull to the extremes.  I'm sure that if they clicked and found commonality they would suddenly not see any of this as a canyon too vast to cross.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree with all of this. He’s direct and has a snarky wit I appreciate. Maybe it’s just the ladies rallying around “their friend” Olivia on Unfiltered. Brett has nobody on the guys side to connect with - I mean look at it: Miles and Woody are already friends, and I really don’t see Brett having anything in common with Bennett or Henry who we already know can’t stand him.

I also agree that he and Olivia are completely mismatched, but I think we all saw that coming from the get-go. It’s just that the unraveling has taken a surprising turn a little bit with Olivia’s unpleasant side showing up. At first I thought it was going to be a “Poor Olivia” situation along the lines of a Kate, Amber or Mindy. Now I’d ay it’s about 50-50.......

Personality-wise, he reminds me a little bit of Jon, the husband of Molly. 

I still think Brett, who despite no shoulders, works out a lot took one look at Olivia in her wedding dress and saw a matronly bride, and just made up his mind at this point she ain't it for him.  To me the kickers was Olivia saying she works out all the time and him having this look of surprise.  Like really?  But you don't look like it...

Even though he said nice things about here, there's zero chemistry between them.  I really think that Olivia sensed he wasn't into her and still isn't, so now she's the jetsetter NP.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, TheMediumBopper said:

I want to know what high school Amelia went to where she was voted Homecoming Queen. It makes me wonder if she's changed a lot since high school or just went someplace really progressive and accepting. There was no way in hell a person who wore elastic-waist pants like Amelia was going to be elected Homecoming Queen at my bitchy high school, unless there was a bucket of pig blood waiting at the end of it. Good for you, Amelia!

Our homecoming queen wasn't the hottest in our class, but she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet and very popular, so she won the crown.

When we saw Amelia with make-up, I thought she looked pretty. I could see her being the smartest girl in class, cute, and she probably dressed a little quirky bot not as crazy quirky.  So maybe she was well loved in high school?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I still think Brett, who despite no shoulders, works out a lot took one look at Olivia in her wedding dress and saw a matronly bride, and just made up his mind at this point she ain't it for him.  To me the kickers was Olivia saying she works out all the time and him having this look of surprise.  Like really?  But you don't look like it...

Even though he said nice things about here, there's zero chemistry between them.  I really think that Olivia sensed he wasn't into her and still isn't, so now she's the jetsetter NP.

Our homecoming queen wasn't the hottest in our class, but she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet and very popular, so she won the crown.

When we saw Amelia with make-up, I thought she looked pretty. I could see her being the smartest girl in class, cute, and she probably dressed a little quirky bot not as crazy quirky.  So maybe she was well loved in high school?

Oh, sure! I think Amelia is naturally pretty and has a vibrant personality. I was just thinking about how shallow people were at my particular high school and how the 'quirky' girls weren't Homecoming Queen candidates as a rule. I say this as someone who was one of those so-called quirky girls. But hey, I did get voted 'Most Individual' in the high school yearbook!

Also, I'm glad you said that about Olivia because I've been secretly thinking she doesn't look like she works out. And that's fine if she doesn't, but she professes to be such a fitness buff, so...

• Love 4

I'm currently thinking that a lot of Henry's "symptoms" are really related to him not knowing what to do because he is totally not attracted to Christina. When Pastor Cal pressed him about his feeling toward Christina he really had the most symptoms so far. I had the opportunity to look again at his interview in the pre-show www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEYJf8J07.  Henry wants to be a gentleman and not say anything negative about his lack of attraction but he shows it with his reactions and his "not making a move."  Poor eye contact because he can't look you in the eye and lie.  He has said some funny things that were true.  I guess he was also working on the assumption that they would give him his physical type even though he was supposed to be open to everything.  He also wasn't his personality type. No wonder he look like a cornered animal.

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TheMediumBopper said:

Oh, sure! I think Amelia is naturally pretty and has a vibrant personality. I was just thinking about how shallow people were at my particular high school and how the 'quirky' girls weren't Homecoming Queen candidates as a rule. I say this as someone who was one of those so-called quirky girls. But hey, I did get voted 'Most Individual' in the high school yearbook!

Also, I'm glad you said that about Olivia because I've been secretly thinking she doesn't look like she works out. And that's fine if she doesn't, but she professes to be such a fitness buff, so...

If she works out all the time, she's not working the right parts.  We saw her doing her indoor bike.  She could use some weight lifting.  She's not fat, but she's got a little chunk on her.  And if you eat out all the time, it's hard to keep the weight off unless you eat filet mignon with no sides every time you go out.  

My boyfriend is eating out a lot.  And he's gain a lot of weight during COVID-19.  Every time he says he's going to get dinner somewhere I think "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" lol

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, configdotsys said:

Of course that won't happen because it's a show but it just makes me crazy when people get "mad" at others for doing things differently than they do, i.e., "Why don't they save? Why don't they buy a house? They're wasting money renting. They spend too much on X. Why waste money on vacations when you can buy tangible stuff? I don't understand why people....." It's no one's place to understand why others do what they do. Everyone designs their life around what works for them. Then comes the part where you try to find someone with as many compatibilities as possible. 

And that is why I can't stand Brett.  The comment he made about renting made him sound ignorant IMO.

• Love 2

Brett's not alone in thinking that renting doesn't build wealth. At the end of your rental contract, you've not built any equity.  You don't get any tax write off for the interest you pay towards your mortgage when you rent, although that feature has been significantly reduced, and you have no control over the space you're living in. Home ownership has always been the traditional path to building wealth. It's not a guarantee, of course, but home ownership has long been considered a sign of success.

Plus, I have a feeling he's been told to play up his home ownership point.  He could have been kinder about Olivia's pink bathroom, but she was pretty non-impressed with his home. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Brett's not alone in thinking that renting doesn't build wealth. At the end of your rental contract, you've not built any equity.  You don't get any tax write off for the interest you pay towards your mortgage when you rent, although that feature has been significantly reduced, and you have no control over the space you're living in. Home ownership has always been the traditional path to building wealth. It's not a guarantee, of course, but home ownership has long been considered a sign of success.

Plus, I have a feeling he's been told to play up his home ownership point.  He could have been kinder about Olivia's pink bathroom, but she was pretty non-impressed with his home. 

I kind of liked Olivia's pink bathroom. My family had a vintage pink bathroom when I was a kid, and I thought it was the purtiest thing ever.

And thus, my  List of Things I Like About Olivia is done.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I kind of liked Olivia's pink bathroom. My family had a vintage pink bathroom when I was a kid, and I thought it was the purtiest thing ever.

And thus, my  List of Things I Like About Olivia is done.

I had one too, in a my most favorite house I ever owned. 😉  I still miss that house, in Minneapolis.  Colonial style, built in 1927, 8 foot ceilings on the second floor as well as on the first floor.  She was a beauty.  The pink and black bathroom was okay, in great shape, but  my husband wasn't too fond of it. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I kind of liked Olivia's pink bathroom. My family had a vintage pink bathroom when I was a kid, and I thought it was the purtiest thing 

My great aunt had a pink and maroon tiled powder room with a pink tub....it was tres chic..

• Love 2

I see where Olivia is coming from with wanting to spend money on experiences and not things. I think Brett is being a little mean and snobby about owning a home and not going out to sporting events or traveling. There is a happy medium here though. Olivia can back off a little on her "frivilous" purchases and Brett can get out of his shell and experience things. But this is MAFS, and they of course, wouldn't be told this as the obvious anxwer. 

What is the deal with Christina? It's super shady that she told Henry at the wedding where she lived but then suddenly she doesn't really live in a place? I'm so confused. 

• Love 5

DISGUSTED by Woodrow & Amani's recklessness. Like Keith & Christine. So ridiculous. IT ONLY TAKES ONE TIME!!!! Is that what happened with Jepthe & Shawniece? 😂 SO. GROSS.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2020 at 8:56 PM, configdotsys said:

Thanks for the link. I started reading some of the stuff there but after all these years, I still can't deal with [opinion]how poorly Reddit is laid out[/opinion]. My patience wears out in about 5 minutes.

Me too! That thing is terrible! I was trying to figure out how to follow him and it’s pointless! I probably need some PhD to do that.

9 minutes ago, Lindz said:

Does Henry have a killer tick/twitch? 😅😂

Not here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEYJf8J07      He seems to be pretty normal during this interview.  Good eye contact, no ticks, and fluid conversation.

The presence of all those symptoms seem to be associated with being around Cristina and being asked about his attraction to Cristina or even trying to communicate with Cristina. I think he likes to be polite and not lie and so he can't have eye contact When he doesn't know what to say I think he was expecting to be set up with a petite young lady that he would be attracted to.  Then he would no trouble talking if they had chemistry.

What do you think about the 2 different Henrys?

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, gladitsover said:

I think she would be happy if he would just pay her a genuine compliment, or ask her about her life, show some damn interest in her! You can be an introvert and say nice things or at least have a conversation - especially when you are one on one with another person (who happens to be your spouse)

Does she do that?? What about what she could do that would make him happy? WHAT do they do?? Besides get a crap edit, looking like they barely talk. 😅

Aww. So sweet of Brett to get Olivia a tissue. I appreciate that about him, how he takes care of her in those ways. Miles just let Karen cry & we didn't see how she got the tissue.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sara416 said:

What is the deal with Christina? It's super shady that she told Henry at the wedding where she lived but then suddenly she doesn't really live in a place? I'm so confused. 

I'm not understanding why christina is basically "couch surfing" with friends or sleeping in her car (until the show began).  How can that be?  I was always under the impression that flight crews had a residence in the "hub city" of the airline they were flying for and the airline put them up in hotels at all destination stops elsewhere.  I know I have stayed in MANY hotels where I'm checking in and the flight crew "brigade" is waiting to check in as a group behind me.

I understand they are not going to divulge the name of the airline christina works for (understood); however, may we consider that it's not a nationally known carrier?  Maybe it's a charter company or a lower-tier economy-type airline where such amenities are not provided to flight crews?

On that basis, may we assume that christina does not make the kind of money first-tier airline flight attendants make?  

Just asking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I'm not understanding why christina is basically "couch surfing" with friends or sleeping in her car (until the show began).  How can that be?  I was always under the impression that flight crews had a residence in the "hub city" of the airline they were flying for and the airline put them up in hotels at all destination stops elsewhere.  I know I have stayed in MANY hotels where I'm checking in and the flight crew "brigade" is waiting to check in as a group behind me.

I understand they are not going to divulge the name of the airline christina works for (understood); however, may we consider that it's not a nationally known carrier?  Maybe it's a charter company or a lower-tier economy-type airline where such amenities are not provided to flight crews?

On that basis, may we assume that christina does not make the kind of money first-tier airline flight attendants make?  

Just asking.

I wonder if Christina was possibly fired from the airline and has covered that up? Sorry if that belongs in the spoiler/speculation thread; it's really just a wild guess.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 9:50 AM, Retired at last said:

ETA: I do NOT like Bennett's sister. She seems to have a very unhealthy relationship or obsession with her brother and has tried to sabotage this relationship the last time they were together when she told Amelia about how Bennet felt about having kids. Now she is telling him he shouldn't be a grown up and move to be with his wife and she doesn't want him to leave. The family dynamics are so strange, but Bennett seems to be able to know what he wants. His sister needs to lighten up, because he will follow his heart.

Haha. The woman in the preview is a completely different woman. 😅

• Useful 1
  • Love 1