Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 & 2 Discussion

Avabelle
Message added by Whimsy,

This thread is now locked.  There are individual episode threads where you can take the discussion.  Feel free to quote a post from this thread and carry it over to the episode thread to continue discussions. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, ahisma said:

I love Keeley. I love Roy. I LOVE Keeley+Roy. I love Beard and Nate and Higgins and Dani and Mae and the peanut gallery in her pub... I love to hate Jamie Tarrt (and his Baby Shark theme song), yet still empathize with how his father caused him to turn out the way he is. I hope the high school girl Ted would spar with in the street shows up in future seasons. I’m so glad there will be more!

There's not one weak link among the actors or the characters, which is quite a feat considering how many people there are. I watched the show as it was released and at first it seemed like they were setting up Keeley and Ted to be the couple, but I'm glad they didn't go that way. Though one of my favorite scenes in the entire season is when she and Ted were talking about the photos the paparazzi took of both of them. "Tartt's tart breaks Tartt's heart" "Lasso makes passo and creates team fiasco" "You have no idea the power of rhyming in this god damn country."

• Love 20

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, I highly recommend this article on the real life coaches that led Sudeikis to create the Lasso character. 

When Donnie Campbell coached high school basketball, he began every practice with a quote. He pulled the words from a small quote book in his office desk at Shawnee Mission West High School, stuck them on a bulletin board, then asked his players to memorize the message. On most days, he quoted John Wooden.

Campbell was a young coach then, barely 30, and if he’s being honest, maybe he was learning, too. Thousands of high school coaches have quoted Wooden in gymnasiums across America. Thousands more have taught enthusiasm and industriousness and the Pyramid of Success. Campbell was no different, of course, no different than any other well-meaning coach trying to reach young kids, except for one point guard who happened to listen: Jason Sudeikis, the future creator and star of “Ted Lasso,” a television show about what it means to coach.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 3/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, Johnny Dollar said:

Brett Goldstein is perfect as Roy, so the fact that he was initially hired only as a writer is quite impressive. He’s like a literal “Nate the Great”!

There are so many little moments where Roy crack me up - his "Good lad" to Nate when he accidentally breaks the window after a loss, his comments to the kids when they're practising headers at the school (especially the annoyed "Well done" when Ted does it) and my absolute favourite, his mouthing the lyrics while Rebecca sings 'Let it Go'.

This show was such a lovely little spark of light - I'm a football supporter myself so very much enjoyed that part of it, too. Can't wait for next season.

• Love 11
On 8/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, bourbon said:

I like it. It's charming and sweet and full of likable people. Even the "villains" are surprisingly likable. It's refreshing to see a show with characters who are decent people who sometimes do the wrong thing. Perfect show for this silly season. 

On 9/12/2020 at 5:57 PM, iLoveNny said:

I love this show because it could have just been silly for silly sake, but it instead has so much heart. 

Hide contents

I legitimately teared up when Ted started having his panic attack. 

I passed this show up so many times just because Jason looks like such a goober in the promo shot, I was sure it was going to be a stupid schlocky wreck. I was bored yesterday.... and finished binging the season this morning. I couldn't have been more wrong with my impression! I loved it! It's such an endearing show, just the right amount of sweet and salty. All of the characters are perfectly imperfect, but with the exception of the ex-husband, they all have redeeming qualities. I even like the you're a wanker crowd at the bar! LOL! I can't wait for the new season to start. As an added bonus, I'm loving the music for the show. 

• Love 19

Writers Guild of America awards!

Best Comedy Series: Jane Becker, Leann Bowen, Brett Goldstein, Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly, Bill Lawrence, Jamie Lee, Jason Sudeikis, Phoebe Walsh & Bill Wrubel (Ted Lasso)
Best New Series: Jane Becker, Leann Bowen, Brett Goldstein, Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly, Bill Lawrence, Jamie Lee, Jason Sudeikis, Phoebe Walsh & Bill Wrubel (Ted Lasso)

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I passed this show up so many times just because Jason looks like such a goober in the promo shot, I was sure it was going to be a stupid schlocky wreck. I was bored yesterday.... and finished binging the season this morning. I couldn't have been more wrong with my impression! I loved it! It's such an endearing show, just the right amount of sweet and salty. All of the characters are perfectly imperfect, but with the exception of the ex-husband, they all have redeeming qualities. I even like the you're a wanker crowd at the bar! LOL! I can't wait for the new season to start. As an added bonus, I'm loving the music for the show. 

Oh, same here! I saw some clips on various talk shows when Jason was promoting it, and it just looked such typically "silly sit-com-ish" that I really had no interest in watching it (plus we didn't have Apple Plus until recently). Like a few others, it took me till episode 3 or 4 to really get into it, and then I was totally hooked. As in head-over-heads hooked. It's charming (and that's not a word I use often) without being a bit cloying, a real gem.  I also loved Jason's reaction to winning the Golden Globe, not quite sure what was going on there, but he definitely came off as humble and completely surprised. ❤️

• Love 8

I thought I would watch an episode of this to see what it’s about around 10 pm one night.  I ended up watching until the wee hours of the morning and woke up my sleeping cats laughing. I’m in for season 2. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

First look at Ted Lasso's surprise SAG Awards pep talk

Though season 2 of Ted Lasso won't premiere on Apple TV+ until this summer, fans who tune into the SAG Awards will be treated to a new sketch starring the AFC Richmond gang, which will open the ceremony on April 4. EW has the exclusive teaser for the two-minute video, in which Coach Ted Lasso (Jason Sudeikis) gives his team a pep talk following their SAG Award nomination for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series.

• Love 12
On 3/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, Johnny Dollar said:

Brett Goldstein is perfect as Roy, so the fact that he was initially hired only as a writer is quite impressive. He’s like a literal “Nate the Great”!

I have listened to a couple of episodes of Brett's podcast Films to be Buried With and I was stunned by how big a marshmallow he is. I really enjoyed Roy's arc this season and it's very pleasant to know Brett is also one of the writers.

• Love 5

The best episode of Brett's podcast IMHO is the one with Yvette Nicole Brown. She moderated one of the panel's for the show and it was a love fest that is reflected in that podcast episode.

I love Nick Mohammad in this as Nate that it makes me sad that I don't like the series he stars in and created called INTELLIGENCE.  I have enjoyed the series Brett co-created called SOULMATES.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

SAG Award win!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Jason Sudeikis 

I'm very happy for Jason, but I'm disappointed they didn't get the cast award. This is one cast where everyone, even the one line players (like Zoreaux, or however you spell his name), are SO GOOD and so good together. Like @MerBearStare said, there just isn't a weak link in the group and I love them all so much, even dumb Jamie. Rupert can GTFO, but every show needs a villain and I think we all know at least one of these assholes in real life.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I'm very happy for Jason, but I'm disappointed they didn't get the cast award.

I would agree, except Schitt’s Creek won and I can’t argue with that. Ted Lasso’s next season, though, I will be fully behind them sweeping every award!

• Love 10
On 4/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, Night Cheese said:

Season 2 teaser trailer up. Season 2 kicks off July 23!

And... all the free trials that people got with new Apple devices were extended to July!  Just enough to see the first episode, I guess.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

So...Jamie Tart has been written out of the series?  After seeing how his Dad treated him, I wished he'd have more Ted Lasso in his life.

This is just speculation on my part, but I'm gonna hide it just in case.

Spoiler

In the season 2 trailer, someone puts a green plastic army man down next to Ted, on a bar it looks like, and it's the same green plastic army man Ted gave to Jaime at the end of season 1 (a guy with binoculars). So my guess is that he'll be back to help the team make a comeback

• Love 10
(edited)

Today is the anniversary of Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson's "Practice" rant. You may know it as this.

Allen should have gotten a writing credit for the episode.

I'm a big Sixers fan and as Ted started, I was like "Wait, are they really going to do this? They are!"

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 9
  • Love 9

I haven’t been able to find how many episodes the season is (not listed in IMDb beyond 2.01 and nothing in Variety). If it’s 10 episodes again, I’ll see y’all on September 24, when I can binge it. (Right before the AppleTV+ complimentary subscription expires!)

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, ahisma said:

I haven’t been able to find how many episodes the season is (not listed in IMDb beyond 2.01 and nothing in Variety). If it’s 10 episodes again, I’ll see y’all on September 24, when I can binge it. (Right before the AppleTV+ complimentary subscription expires!)

According to Wikipedia, season 2 will have 12 episodes.

ETA:  Here's their source:  https://collider.com/ted-lasso-season-2-how-many-episodes/ 

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 6/21/2021 at 10:16 PM, ahisma said:

Mine ends 3 weeks prior to the show premiering and I'm not happy about it (and will not be paying for Apple for six months when this is the only thing I really enjoy on it). 

So, I didn't catch up to the show until after the first season - so does it not all drop on the same day? It is an week-by-week episode drop?

My Apple TV expires like four days after the premiere, so I guess I need to make peace with paying for a subscription? Boo!

9 hours ago, weightyghost said:

Mine ends 3 weeks prior to the show premiering and I'm not happy about it (and will not be paying for Apple for six months when this is the only thing I really enjoy on it). 

I do really love For All Mankind, too. (Different feel than TL, though.) But those have been the only standouts for me.

(edited)

“A Golden Retriever humped a motivational poster until Ned Flanders popped out” is pretty accurate! (Also Coach Beard being every King of the Hill character combined into one guy.)

Edited by ahisma
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

Entertainment Writer Mike Ryan shared an email he received from Jason Sudeikis five years ago after the loss of his (Ryan's) father. He published it with Sudeikis' permission to show how kind Sudeikis is. 

But here’s why I am sharing this: I see the positive effects that a positive character like Ted Lasso is having on people. His folksy niceness is infectious and, well, it sure as heck felt refreshing during its first season and it sure as heck feels refreshing during this second season. And, as it turns out, Jason Sudeikis, someone I’ve been fortunate to get to know a bit professionally, but certainly not well, did a truly nice thing for me when I really needed it and, frankly, I want people to know he did this. Also, the very few people I’ve actually told this story to always have a very positive reaction to it and now I just want to share it with others.

https://uproxx.com/tv/jason-sudeikis-is-ted-lasso/

• Love 24
7 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

Entertainment Writer Mike Ryan shared an email he received from Jason Sudeikis five years ago after the loss of his (Ryan's) father. He published it with Sudeikis' permission to show how kind Sudeikis is. 

But here’s why I am sharing this: I see the positive effects that a positive character like Ted Lasso is having on people. His folksy niceness is infectious and, well, it sure as heck felt refreshing during its first season and it sure as heck feels refreshing during this second season. And, as it turns out, Jason Sudeikis, someone I’ve been fortunate to get to know a bit professionally, but certainly not well, did a truly nice thing for me when I really needed it and, frankly, I want people to know he did this. Also, the very few people I’ve actually told this story to always have a very positive reaction to it and now I just want to share it with others.

https://uproxx.com/tv/jason-sudeikis-is-ted-lasso/

Oh my goodness, this is wonderful.  I'm married to a guy from Kansas City and we especially love Jason and Ted because they are both just so genuine and Midwest (and a little lovably goofy) in their "folksy niceness".  Thank you for sharing this article -- well done, Jason.

• Love 3

I think it's interesting, because it's a real dichotomy that the stereotype of people from that region (Kansas, Missouri) is kind, but (if we're being totally honest) a decent amount of conflict has emerged from that area in recent times too.  I don't expect Ted Lasso to delve into that though. This is a world they've created without vaccinations, protests, guns, and certain divisive political figures being of primary importance, with religion and race being a bit less essential to the world of the show too.  The issues that might surround a Ted Lasso back home aren't important to this story. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I didn't watch this last year because I didn't have any interest in the material. A folksy fish out of water story featuring someone who has an accent that absolutely no one in KC has sounds absolutely terrible to me.

However, I decided to watch it after all the love and fanfare, and I'm really glad I I did.

My inner feminist was not happy with the vindictive divorcee trope and even after watching the whole season and really liking it, I still think they could have chosen Rebecca's motivation to be something less sexist.

However, the characters have depth and heart and the cast is absolutely phenomenal.

Rebecca's character arc was riveting, especially when her best friend talked about how much she changed during the last half of her marriage. Keeley starting out as a girlfriend could have gone so wrong so quickly, but they made her smart, funny, and no nonsense. I would have loved more Coach Beard. He was funny and interesting every time he was on screen. I'm glad they gave Ted more depth than what he projects to others.

I'm surprised by how much I like this show. We definitely need more joy right now and this show helps in some small way.

• Love 8