Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 & 2 Discussion

Avabelle
Message added by Whimsy,

This thread is now locked.  There are individual episode threads where you can take the discussion.  Feel free to quote a post from this thread and carry it over to the episode thread to continue discussions. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Now it's reminding me of a throwaway joke very early in the first season.  Someone says to Ted "Cheers!" and he replies "Night Court!" I commented on it at the time but not sure if too many people caught it.

There was a toasting scene in Three’s Company (aaaages ago) where Jack toasted “Good times!” then Janet toasted “Happy days!” and then Chrissie toasted “Little House On the Prairie!” It pops in my head pretty much anytime anyone says “good times.”

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, whiporee said:

No, I think she's mega rich. Private plane, chauffeurs, offering to buy the restaurant so Nate could get the good seat he wanted. The Christmas charity tour. Plus, she does own a major-league sports franchise. She's a long long long way from any middle class. She's no Beezos, but she's the richest person on the show (except for evil Giles) by far, and there are a lot of rich people on the show. 

And Sassy said so. 

That's irrelevant. All the money in the world won't make her upper class. She is very clearly middle class. It's not the same in the UK as it is in most other places.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2021 at 8:52 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I know I may be alone in this, but Rebecca and Sam don't bother me as much as they do others.  The actors have really good chemistry together and Rebecca isn't the coach and she doesn't make staffing decisions.  

She does, though.  She sent Jamie back to Man City in the first season, and she told Dubai Air that she would not be firing Sam in this season.  (Also ignoring the fact that she alone hired Ted...)

• Love 4

I’m not sure if I want to live on the plane of existence where buying a restaurant as a lark and being invited to Sir Elton John’s on fucking Christmas Day only achieves “middle class” status. I’d be rendered a street urchin. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 17
21 minutes ago, Trillium said:

I’m not sure if I want to live on the plane of existence where buying a restaurant as a lark and being invited to Sir Elton John’s on fucking Christmas Day only achieves “middle class” status. I’d be rendered a street urchin. 

But that's the reality in the UK. Kate Middleton's parents are millionaires but once she started dating Prince William some of his entourage made jokes about her middle-class upbringing. Just like characters in a Jane Austen novel who are clutching pearls about someone who has money that comes from trade instead of being a 'real' gentleman 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Trillium said:

I think the reference to middle class is referring social standing, not wealth.  Like new money vs old money.  

• Love 9

I’m a little late in this since we were out of town and JUST watched the latest episode (upside is only having to wait two days for E9!) … 

Glad I wasn’t the only one blown away by the trifecta of music supervision awesome with the last three songs. Not ashamed to admit I blubbered like a baby during “Beware of Darkness”.  

One observation to add to the “rom com” shoutouts in episodes … I’m pretty sure the scene where the guys are sharing their “secrets” was a reference to the airplane scene in “Almost Famous” (imho the best scene in that movie). 

It’s official: “Ted Lasso” is my all-time favorite show. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Trillium said:

I'm not sure I'd even make street urchin status...

But we're not using the same definitions here, as I'm assuming that some of us are in the US and some are in the UK (and elsewhere).  Whereas in the US we are talking about the basic fact of how much money does one person have, I think the people from the UK are talking about generational values, morals, acceptance into "high society," and more historical definitions of "high class."  My impression is that the UK standard is more deeply rooted in centuries-old standards - like royalty.  You aren't "upper class" aka "high class" unless you were royal or damn near close to royal, like having been given a title by a royal.  Here in the US, we don't have that caste system, and it's a younger country, so we just base it on how much sh*t you can buy with your craploads of money.  Upper class in the US does not automatically translate to what the UK thinks of upper class, because money can't buy you (at least the appearance of) generations worth of manners and morals.  

Rebecca isn't descended from royalty and doesn't have a title that we know of - she's just filthy rich.  I think that's the difference in her being "upper class" in the US but not in the UK. 

I may easily be wrong, but that's my take from this discussion. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Hey guys!  I’ve gotten approval to request a full-forum for Ted Lasso. I’m TERRIBLE at coming up with witty topic names and since we already have a mini-thread I thought I’d utilize you all to come up with something good. We’re not necessarily voting, but I’ll take any ideas. 

We need the following: 

• Small Talk
  • Media
  • Maybe a cast in other roles
  • other topics you’d like to see 

I’ll set up individual episode threads. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Hey guys!  I’ve gotten approval to request a full-forum for Ted Lasso. I’m TERRIBLE at coming up with witty topic names and since we already have a mini-thread I thought I’d utilize you all to come up with something good. We’re not necessarily voting, but I’ll take any ideas. 

We need the following: 

• Small Talk
  • Media

Media needs to somehow include Trent Crimm, The Independent 

Small Talk: Tea Hot Brown Water Talk

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
35 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

We need the following: 

• Small Talk
  • Media

Fun! Maybe there could be a football (or if you Americans would prefer, soccer) thread for people to discuss the footballing aspects of the show and where people wondering about rules or similar could ask questions, etc? Something like "The beautiful game: not all pitches are the same size".

• Love 5

Maybe incorporate "Sassy" into a thread about side characters?

Would love it if Jamie's thread could use Roy's quote about him being "a muppet, who he hopes dies of the incurable condition of being a little bitch," but... that's long and clunky.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LADreamr said:

Would love it if Jamie's thread could use Roy's quote about him being "a muppet, who he hopes dies of the incurable condition of being a little bitch," but... that's long and clunky.

If Jamie gets a thread it's gotta be "Ugly, ugly boy with bad hair", heh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Whimsy said:

We need the following: 

• Small Talk
  • Media

I feel like Small Talk should be "It's just a group of people who care, not unlike folks at a hip-hop concert whose hands are not in the air." Though that's a little wordy. 

Also love the idea of a favorite lines thread. I always have at least three favorite lines per episode.

• Love 2

I started watching this interview on Jimmy Kimmel with Hannah Waddingham and they started with a Ted Lasso clip and I was like, "Wait a minute, this is from an episode that hasn't aired yet." So, very minor spoiler alert.

Spoiler

Always happy to see Sassy and Deborah. It looks like they're at a funeral and I'm loving Keeley's funeral look. And I love how quickly Keeley figured out Rebecca's mystery man and Rebecca's reaction to it.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 4

Ep 9: Woof. Just not good. I’m sure by morning I’ll see reviews raving about the art of it, but it did not work for me. At all. If Amazon wants to capitalize on popularity after season has been  plotted out, I for one would have watched 2 episodes of outtakes and bloopers or 2 holiday specials. Never try to explain a man of mystery like this.  Just no.   

Im sure it was brilliant & arty & tons of references to stuff, so…bracing for impact🙂

Edited by pennben
  • Love 10

What was that? There were funny moments here and there, but that was way too different than a normal episode for me. I liked the hula hooping. I like that Thierry Henry appears to be Beard’s nemesis. I liked the reveal that the guy was really just chasing Beard to give back his wallet. But overall, I missed everyone! The cast’s chemistry is one of the show’s best assets, and I never want to see another episode where the cast doesn’t interact at all except for 10 seconds at the end.

• Love 4

I know this was the other stand-alone episode shot because they had an extra two eps ordered, and I can appreciate it for what it is because there was quite a lot of good stuff - but I don't know that it was a good idea to put it right after the last one where the stakes were so high. A breather episode like this would've worked better if this were a show where all the episodes were streaming at once so that you could get the next one right after it, I think. Having to wait another week for the plot to move forward after such an intense time last week is kinda frustrating and breaks momentum.

Did love Gary Lineker and Thierry Henry running commentary on Beard throughout the night, heh.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 6

They seem to make a lot more out of this loss than I would have thought. I mean, yes it was bad, but it was also expected. A second league team against a world class team? And only a 5-0 loss? Not that bad.

I mean it's not like it was a 7-1 loss in a world cup semi final, where the winning team took pity on the loosing team in the second half, played with half effort from then on and even the fans of the winning team started to cheer for the losing team to get a goal in, because they felt so much pity for them...

• Love 1

Yeah, I agree. 5-0 sucks, but it's not like it's an outrageous score or anything, not against a team like Manchester City. (The Premier League has just started and they've already beaten both Norwich and Arsenal five-nil.) But I guess maybe it was the manner of the drubbing, that they played so incredibly bad? If it really was "the only way to watch it is at ten times the speed with the Benny Hill theme playing over it" bad, then I get it.

But this reminds me of something - looking at the board back there with their standings, Richmond have been on one hell of a run in the league since the Christmas episode (where they had 4 wins, 4 losses and 14 draws)! If they've played 43 matches that means there are three matches left, and with 79 points they *should* be right up there in contention for either straight promotion back up to the Premier League, or at the very least a play-off spot for it. I really, really wish there had been more football this season where we could have seen this happen, but I'm guessing/hoping this means we'll see more of it as the season comes to an end. I swear, if they break my heart by having them miss out on promotion...

1950163365_Skrmavbild2021-09-17kl_14_50_21.thumb.jpg.d5902e3d690926b8c1ace9f5189d68d4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Zonk said:

I mean it's not like it was a 7-1 loss in a world cup semi final, where the winning team took pity on the loosing team in the second half, played with half effort from then on and even the fans of the winning team started to cheer for the losing team to get a goal in, because they felt so much pity for them...

Heh. [Steve Rogers I-understood-that-reference gif]

• Love 4

That was some fever-dream, acid trip stuff that didn't fit in with the rest of the show or episodes this season at all.  I can't say that I hated it, but I sure didn't like it.  The three locals playing on the pitch and Ted watching the game film at 10x speed with the Benny Hill theme music were the highlights.  

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Schweedie said:

Hey, I love Jamie and his headband, but every time I hear him say "I am an oog-leh, oog-leh boy" in my head I start giggling. 😆 Man, do I love a Manchester accent.

Love the way he says "Keel-ay" :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can someone refer me to the interview where someone refers to the show as a 3-act dramatic arc and this season is supposed to be reminiscent of Empire Strikes Back? I keep seeing people using that as a reason to predict some wildly dark ideas (in comparison to the rest of the show) so I'd like to finally read it for myself! Thanks!

Can someone refer me to the interview where someone refers to the show as a 3-act dramatic arc 

I'm sure there are other interviews but Sudeikis talks about it with the Kansas City Starhttps://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=jason+sudeikis+kansas+city+star+empire+strikes+back&d=4961099789041943&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=xKDNtITaqNPQDCMRpoBWCvSOmF75ZN4g

And the tail end of this USA Today article https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/07/22/jason-sudeikis-ted-lasso-season-2-star-wars-fans/7979429002/

• Love 2