Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Welcome Back

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He was there. 

I think it was deceptive because instead of pairing them by rank which it usually does, it went Bugsy alone, Tom alone, and then cycled through the rest but Pete was missing.  I'm not 100% sure on that but I think he was, because the number seemed "skimpy."

On 8/25/2020 at 12:22 PM, esco1822 said:

Good question. They WERE in Mallorca which, according to Google Maps is a 5 hour ferry ride. You’d think this boat would be faster than a ferry. Maybe they docked somewhere on the mainland.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE!  You people get up, get techy and find the shit out. 🙃

• Love 5
On 8/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Poaching is the last way I would want any mear cooked. It’s just lazy. 

I think he’s cooking the meat sous vide, which is long and slow cooking in a plastic bag placed in a pot with simmering water.  It keeps the meat juicy, and can be really delicious.  I think most chefs pan sear the meat once it’s cooked, so that it doesn’t have that pasty look.  But once you know that the guests don’t appreciate it, don’t do it again!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

I think he’s cooking the meat sous vide, which is long and slow cooking in a plastic bag placed in a pot with simmering water.  It keeps the meat juicy, and can be really delicious.  I think most chefs pan sear the meat once it’s cooked, so that it doesn’t have that pasty look.  But once you know that the guests don’t appreciate it, don’t do it again!

I thought he said poached because he said these guys don’t know what poached means but maybe that’s what he meant. He did say something about sous vide at the table when he was explaining poached. But yeah, he definitely should make that again for them. 

12 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I thought he said poached because he said these guys don’t know what poached means but maybe that’s what he meant. He did say something about sous vide at the table when he was explaining poached. But yeah, he definitely should make that again for them. 

There was also a sous vide machine on the counter in the galley and it’s the only thing that makes sense for him doing lobster for 2 hours (though that’s still an hour longer than any sous vide lobster recipe I have seen). I assumed he said poached because he is an idiot and not a very good chef.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There was also a sous vide machine on the counter in the galley and it’s the only thing that makes since for him doing lobster for 2 hours (though that’s still an hour longer than any sous vide lobster recipe I have seen). I assumed he said poached because he is an idiot and not a very good chef.

I was confused because he said poached and then sous vide, and did he think the guests wouldn't know what sous vide was? To be honest I didn't know what sous vide was until Top Chef (I've watched every season). Maybe Kiko's Vegas night would have been more suited to these guests?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I just watched an episode from season 1, the chief stew (blonde, forgot her name) told Capt. Lee mid season that she takes meds for anxiety, she showed him the pharma package with the prescription info on it, he handed it back to her and thanked her.  No muss, no fuss...why did Capt. Sandy go to extremes? Stupid.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

the chief stew (blonde, forgot her name) told Capt. Lee mid season that she takes meds for anxiety, she showed him the pharma package with the prescription info on it, he handed it back to her and thanked her.  No muss, no fuss...why did Capt. Sandy go to extremes? Stupid.

Her name was Kat she was the second stew.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2020 at 4:40 AM, njbchlover said:

Hey, Malia - I know things are different on a super-yacht, but it's also a HUGE "HR" problem when you refer to your employees as "fuckers"!!!!  

exactly, and now the guys should have run up to the captain saying that Malia called them "fuckers"

If Malia was told the is a "fucker" she would be in the captains office in 30 seconds crying and moaning.

what a complete asshole she is, disgusting person.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2020 at 2:08 AM, MartyQui said:

I do not understand the micro portions he is serving these peasants who are all overweight because the usually eat pizza most of the time. Fine dining is not for everybody and certainly not for these guests. That is asking for trouble. And if you are shocking oysters, always open at least 10 oysters more, in case the guests ask for them. The same with the rest of the food since the portions are really tiny.

I would personally be hungry all the time on this yacht.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, smeds said:

What I don't understand, instead of calling them &$#$&# and walking away because they weren't putting away the slide the way she wanted, why didn't she just stand her ground and tell them while how they want to do it might be the proper way, we don't have the time - this is how I want it done so just do it so we can move on to other things.  For someone who claims her brothers taught her to not let people walk all over her, she lets them walk all over her.  

A good leader bosun would DO THE JOB with the guys, but she IS a tiny woman and does not have the strength to do the job. The only good thing she is doing is running her mouth, and sucking up to the captain. Malia has her head so much into Sandys ass......... 

• Love 1
On 8/25/2020 at 9:32 PM, Mindthinkr said:

In fairness the cake should have been mentioned on the preference sheet, not 3 hours prior to service. 

It is pure incompetence to me that the crew do not know if any off the guests have a birthday prior to the charter. at least you You do get the passports prior to check in.....so you check if anybody has a birthday during the charter. It is not rocket science.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Milan said:

It is pure incompetence to me that the crew do not know if any off the guests have a birthday prior to the charter. at least you You do get the passports prior to check in.....so you check if anybody has a birthday during the charter. It is not rocket science.

Some guests may not want any kind of fuss made over their birthdays, and personally I don’t know how I’d feel if a relative stranger knew my birthday solely because it was on my passport, much less assume that I’d want a cake.

These kinds of requests for special desserts (always phrased as a “surprise” by a fellow guest) need to be on the preference sheet, if they’re that important to begin with. I think people just assume that it’s easy to get the cake of their dreams with only a couple hours notice, never mind all the prep and cooking the chef is already doing for that night’s dinner. Case in point is a few seasons back when the guests brought back somebody they met in a bar. It happened that it was the dude’s birthday...”can we do something?” Ben had a cheesecake planned so he just stuck a candle in it. And the episodes where they ran out to a bakery to get a cake...Can’t be choosy if you give no heads-up, which is the whole point of the preference sheet.

EDIT: There was one ep where they had no choice but to resort to a bakery (Leon’s grand exit) but I believe there was at least another episode where they had to punt like this...

Edited by RoseAllDay
Clarification of faulty memory
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2020 at 8:41 PM, RoseAllDay said:

Some guests may not want any kind of fuss made over their birthdays, and personally I don’t know how I’d feel if a relative stranger knew my birthday solely because it was on my passport, much less assume that I’d want a cake.

These kinds of requests for special desserts (always phrased as a “surprise” by a fellow guest) need to be on the preference sheet, if they’re that important to begin with. I think people just assume that it’s easy to get the cake of their dreams with only a couple hours notice, never mind all the prep and cooking the chef is already doing for that night’s dinner. Case in point is a few seasons back when the guests brought back somebody they met in a bar. It happened that it was the dude’s birthday...”can we do something?” Ben had a cheesecake planned so he just stuck a candle in it. And the episodes where they ran out to a bakery to get a cake...Can’t be choosy if you give no heads-up, which is the whole point of the preference sheet.

EDIT: There was one ep where they had no choice but to resort to a bakery (Leon’s grand exit) but I believe there was at least another episode where they had to punt like this...

I run a couple of luxury apartments in Croatia, and we ALWAYS check the dates in the passports when entering the details into the tourist check in data programme. We ALWAYS surprise any guest with a small cake or a bottle of wine and so far , NOBODY never had a problem with it. Nobody refuses cake.

Ok, if they do not want to do it on this yacht that is fine, but at least they should KNOW if somebody of the guests has a birthday to prevent any possible last minute surprises. This way the chef would at least be warned of a possible cake order ahead of time.

9 minutes ago, Milan said:

I run a couple of luxury apartments in Croatia, and we ALWAYS check the dates in the passports when entering the details into the tourist check in data programme. We ALWAYS surprise any guest with a small cake or a bottle of wine and so far , NOBODY never had a problem with it. Nobody refuses cake.

yeah we went on a NatGeo trip (boat) specifically to celebrate my husband's significant birthday and they definitely noticed it on our "discussion" on the phone, and asked about a cake, and what flavor! On that one-week trip two other guests (on a 50 person boat) were celebrating the same "significant" birthday and all got cakes for them, and whoever was at the table that evening got to share. Since my husband was last in line, we got to "sell seats" (JK) for our birthday table.