Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Our Mojo

paulvdb

Such a cute “morning after” scene for Deckerstar.  I love that they continued the gag that Chloe is a snorer.  They were cute and fun and I wish their happiness could have lasted a little longer.  However, the plot of his passing his mojo to her and really struggling with that felt like a good, organic development in their relationship.  I lol’d at Chloe asking Lucifer if he expected her to pass his mojo back to him like some STD.  

Minor, minor nerd quibble about Lucifer’s scene with Linda at her house.  Although it was super, super cute how Linda said something like, “This is so exciting” when she was going to try to mojo, and the whole scene is completely delightful, she actually has already asked Lucifer in the past what he truly desired in one of the best scenes of S3.  She wasn’t trying to mojo back then, but rather was earnestly trying to get Lucifer to admit he wanted to be with Chloe (“Tell me, what do you, the Devil, truly desire?”  “I want her to choose me.”)  But I wasn’t expecting them to reference that here, just thought it was fun to note.

• Love 5

I keep trying to remember if Chloe has ever asked him what he desired before. Because the first time she did it in this ep, I didn't think it had anything to do with the sex. I thought they were revealing not only is she the only one he can't mojo, but she's the only one who can mojo him. Like that was always a package deal and they never noticed before because she never said that to him before, even as a joke. But I'm not sure if that's true in terms of what's been shown on screen. I kind of hope it tracks though, because I think it'd be significantly more interesting than some sort of "it's all related to Lucifer's psychology" explanation.

• Love 12

Yeah, I agree.  I mean, yes, it’s super, super unethical in real life, but it has just always worked in the context of the show.

I really liked the Deckerstar scene at the end of this ep before Dan came in and shot Lucifer.  Chloe saying something like how she sometimes forgets how powerful Lucifer is worked for me because I like their exploring the mind boggling implications of what it means to be in a relationship with an immortal being, who’s been alive for billions of years, is related to God, has ruled Hell, and now just kind of wants an ordinary life with the one person with whom he has ever been in love.

I thought I might hate Dan for shooting Lucifer, but I just felt sorry for him.  He is so broken, despite trying so hard this season, and then Michael manipulates him in the worst way possible.

• Love 11

I don't like Dan being a punching bag. He's actually good at his job, and Charlotte isn't his fault. I thought the show dropped the ball on Am talking to him about her, but there's more show to go and Am doesn't know Dan knows. 

• Love 6

I like that Lucifer had a reasonably freaked-out reaction to losing one of the major pillars of his identity, that his feelings were consistently validated by Chloe (once Linda gave her some perspective), and how well they communicated in general: direct, supportive, no misunderstandings, no unnecessarily hurtful angst. I was also relieved that his latest crisis didn't sabotage the case or their brand new relationship in any way, but actually brought him and Chloe closer (and his new gun saved them both!). This was one of those positive expectation subversions that this show has made more of a habit of since its network change.

• Love 11

Uh oh!  Lucifer lost his "What do you desire?" mojo!  And it looks like Chloe can use it on him and him alone.  Interesting development.  I thought they did a good job with addressing that a loss like that would effect Lucifer and even if it is something that normal humans have been able to live without since the dawn of time, it makes sense that Lucifer would feel lost without it.  And while Chloe's initial dismissive reactions were understandable, I'm glad they did have Linda point out that his feelings are still valid, so Chloe started being more understanding and supportive with him.  This is actually a surprisingly mature take on the pair and makes me optimistic about them being an official couple.

Case of the week being a simple serial killer was different, but I have to think that the scene at the end of Chloe having questions about something not sitting right means there will be more to it.

Hope Pete continues to be on the up and up, because he seems to be good with Ellie.  Do not become another Junior!

The Amenadiel/Maze scenes were great.  Also enjoy that pairing.

So, Michael's plan of exposing Lucifer's true identity to Dan was to use Dan's guilt and vulnerability to have him shoot Lucifer near Chloe, and likely kill him.  I guess we'll see how this all plays out in the next episode!

• Love 5

I don’t get a good vibe from Pete this episode.  And I noted that there was a darkroom in Les’s apt.  Could Les be Pete’s dad?  Or they work in conjunction - a serial killing writing & photography team.  Also for some reason Lucifer doesn’t seem to like Pete.  Does he sense something?

Can we please get Amenadiel & Linda back 2gether?  I just love those two.

Oh poor Dan.  That first scene with him at Charlotte’s grave was heartbreaking.  He’s been putting on a facade & Michael knows it.  Is this why Michael has been hanging around?  Waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike Lucifer down?  He does know that a Lucifer can fly right back up, correct?  Dan needs a healing Ella hug.

• Love 9

One of the little things I found really amusing, was when Lucifer realized he'd lost his mojo, running around in the background trying it on everyone while Chloe ignored him and just kept interviewing the neighbor.

Of course it freaked him out, because as we've seen before, Luci is really insecure about Chloe choosing to be with him and why. So he'd worry if he can't mojo someone into confessing key information, she would not want to partner with him anymore. And if he can't help her with her cases, why would she want him around?

But a theme this season has been that Luci has learned how to do a bit of actual detective work: reading transcripts, cross referencing records, and plain old interviews. Chloe tried to tell him he brings other things to their partnership like being able to charm suspects, linguistic skills, and super strength, unfortunately he's too caught up in his own fears and worry that he'll mess up this thing he's wanted for so long he can't see it.

Also when are Lucifer's brothers going to learn to stop sending people to his pent house to kill him? First Amenadiel with Malcolm and now Micheal with Dan, it never works.

• Love 10
On 8/23/2020 at 10:11 PM, Gwendolyn said:

One of the little things I found really amusing, was when Lucifer realized he'd lost his mojo, running around in the background trying it on everyone while Chloe ignored him and just kept interviewing the neighbor.

"Is this about the secret Santa?" 

This is certainly an interesting development, now Lucifer has lost his desire power, and Chloe got it, but only for him. Devil powers work in mysterious ways I guess. 

Nice seeing Chloe and Lucifer actually doing couple stuff and trying this whole communication thing, and Chloe saying how she kind of struggles with relating to Lucifer's issues, because they're either so massively cosmic or because Lucifer has such a big personality, but will try to see things from his perspective more, was a nice moment for her. Linda is really a grade a therapist, she made a lot of really good points, and its nice to see them being so mature as a couple, especially when communication has always been an issue between them. 

I think its been awhile since we had a serial killer so they got me on that one. Pete seems nice and he and Ella seem to be great together, but I am kind of getting a weird vibe off of him, so he is making me nervous. With Ella's luck in romance, the one seemingly nice guy she meets will turn out to be the worst one yet. 

Poor Dan, I know he shot Lucifer and thats bad and all, but I really just feel so sorry for him. He is so hurt and confused and filled with self loathing, that he is terribly vulnerable to awful Michael and his manipulations. Dan really has no clue what is going on, he didn't even get told by Lucifer himself like most of the characters, he just got shown his devil face without context and then had Michael showing up all glowing wings to tell him how awful Lucifer is and how his family is in danger. I really hope that Dan can get a win soon, he is such a decent guy and always seems to get crapped on. Maybe he and Maze can finally hook up and bond over feeling abandoned and treated like second fiddle?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

Pete has to be the killer (or one of them), but I will be happy to be proven wrong. He's just too perfect for Ella, and that kind of thing never works out. 

I liked Chloe's response to her having "taken" his mojo. "Cool!" LOL. Only to find that it didn't work on anyone else. 

Lucifer has to survive, so Dan won't have killed him, he can be let into the loop, and he can get together with Ella, or Maze. I like everyone on this show, and don't like them being screwed with. 

• Love 2