Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Detective Amenadiel

paulvdb

Am I binging the whole season today?  Yes.  This is my life.  These are my choices.

The odd resolution of “hell no longer needing a warden” was anti-climactic.  I assume that the issue will resurface, but given that the entire season 4 finale revolved around this issue, kind of an odd temporary resolution.

That Deckerstar kiss at the end was everything I wanted.  “Dad,” they’re cute together.

• Love 4

I'm not sure I buy the explanation that the reason Lucifer is vulnerable to Chloe is that he subconsciously wants to be around her, although it fits somewhat with what happened to him last season-the more he hated himself, the more he thought he was the monster everyone made him out to be, the more grotesque he looked.  Although that doesn't quite explain how Chloe has been able to ignore Lucifer's mojo and make him vulnerable from the beginning, and it's what made him interested in Chole in the first place

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

The odd resolution of “hell no longer needing a warden” was anti-climactic.  I assume that the issue will resurface, but given that the entire season 4 finale revolved around this issue, kind of an odd temporary resolution.

Since Michael has the ear of his "Father" I was wondering if that was his doing. Setting up a larger problem for later in the season.

This is the first episode I really liked and seemed to be a turning point were the series starts to hit it's stride.

So Linda is only 17 years older than her daughter.

Edited by AnimeMania
Addition
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, StarBrand said:

Although that doesn't quite explain how Chloe has been able to ignore Lucifer's mojo and make him vulnerable from the beginning, ...

Actually it kind of does, because while she's been immune to his charms from the start, he wasn't vulnerable around her at first -- in the very first episode, he wasn't wounded when record producer Jimmy (John Pankow's character) shot him after shooting Chloe. It was at some point after their first case that he became that way, maybe even at the moment he yelled "Shoot me, Detective!" Amenadiel's point, I think, was that God's gift was to her -- letting her choose Lucifer, or not, rather than be helplessly sucked in by his mojo -- and Lucifer also, subconsciously, gave her the complementary gift of letting her hurt, even kill, him if she chose to.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, wilnil said:

Actually it kind of does, because while she's been immune to his charms from the start, he wasn't vulnerable around her at first -- in the very first episode, he wasn't wounded when record producer Jimmy (John Pankow's character) shot him after shooting Chloe. It was at some point after their first case that he became that way, maybe even at the moment he yelled "Shoot me, Detective!" Amenadiel's point, I think, was that God's gift was to her -- letting her choose Lucifer, or not, rather than be helplessly sucked in by his mojo -- and Lucifer also, subconsciously, gave her the complementary gift of letting her hurt, even kill, him if she chose to.

Yes, I came to realize it myself last night, it makes sense....:)

• Love 1
On 8/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, Peace 47 said:

I think there's some scheme "dad" is playing out. Because clearly things went haywire that Lucifer had to go back. Although, it did take some time for that to happen so I wouldn't call bs on it. 

Chloe's reaction shots to the nuns being so smitten with Am were priceless. 

• Love 1

As soon as I saw the title of this episode, I got very excited for it.  As I said before, I generally like this entire ensemble and all of its characters (which is saying something, since that is easier said than done, in my opinion), but I always like it when Amenadiel in particular gets to take front and center.  He's just a good character who can play off everyone extremely well, and D.B. Woodside is just such a reliable performer, who can deliver no matter what, so it's always a delight when he gets a chance to shine.  While it will probably be only temporary, it was great seeing Amenadiel get to "play detective", and I enjoyed watching him play off Chloe.  It helped make the case of the week one of the better ones, even if I knew it was going to be Hank, since Matt Gerald usually ends up being the bad guy.

Equally fun was watching Lucifer tag along with Dan with all of the "busy work", and while he did act like his normal arrogant and somewhat lazy self, he actually did end up listening to what Dan said, and it helped play a part in solving the case.  While Lucifer will probably always give Dan shit on this show, I do think he really is starting to respect "Detective Douche" in his own way.

So, Linda did end up having a child when she was seventeen, and feels guilt over abandoning her.  This also leads to friction between her and Maze thanks to the latter's own issues, but I'm glad they seem to be back on track.  It sucks that Maze didn't get a chance to really address her feelings with her mom.  They've really been giving Lesley-Ann Brandt some meaty material this season, and she's been nailing it.

I'm not entirely sure I understand Amenadiel's logic about Lucifer and Chloe, but I don't really care as long as it leads to them moving past the angst, and finally giving themselves a fair shot.

Yeah, something suspicious is happening with "Dad" telling Amenadiel that Hell doesn't need a warden.  Either someone was pretending to be God, or God is cooking some a grand scheme that is probably not going to end well for our gang.

Definitely my favorite episode so far this season.  The different pairs this go around (Chloe/Amenadiel and Lucifer/Dan) along with the always excellent Linda/Maze, really show how strong this ensemble is.

• Love 9

It never occurred to me that Michael was the one playing Amenadiel.  Damn, that’s a good theory.  And it allows Michael to be the “big bad” throughout the entire season (including 5B).  I kinda wish Amenadiel had shown his wings to the young nun that came to the precinct.  I don’t know why, because she had faith, but for some reason I just wanted her to know.  Tho I guess a non-believer is better to prove divinity to.

• Love 1

I thought the scene was super cute where Chloe drags Amenadiel and Lucifer into the interrogation room and asks some good questions about the craziness of the situation.  Is Amenadiel her dad?  (Amenadiel laughing in her face was kind of mean but very funny.)  Does she have superpowers like laser hands?  (I like how Chloe is always trying to assess celestial superpowers, like with Amenadiel in this ep and Eve last season.)  Just a fun and funny scene.

• Love 9

That was a really good episode, possibly my favorite of the season so far. They really used the ensemble well, with Amenadiel/Chloe, Dan/Lucifer, and Maze/Linda really working well as pairings. I especially always like when they give Amenadiel a major part in the story, he is probably my favorite character on the show, and seeing him interact with a bunch of nuns was hilarious and kind of sweet. Even beyond his angel vibes they were picking up, I cant blame the nuns for swooning all over him. Guy is a serious snack!

I liked the scene where Chloe sat Lucifer and Amenadiel down and just asked a ton of questions, its basically what I have been hoping for since Chloe found out about the whole gift thing. Not her being angry and moping and asking suspects really weirdly specific questions clearly based around her own issues, but just talking about it. So I am really glad that Amenadiel was able to give her another perspective, that no matter why she and Lucifer met, everything between them was real, maybe even more real than anyone else as she can resist his mojo. Now we can get this moving. 

God telling Amenadiel that Hell is just cool now seems very questionable, it sounds like dad has some kind of plan in the works. He does work in mysterious ways. 

Lucifer and Dan were a fun team this week, and while Lucifer complained incessantly about having to do the "boring" parts of police work, he did actually seem to walk away with some appreciation for doing the leg work, and even for Dan and how hard he works on cases, even ones that arnt actually his. I really prefer Dan and Lucifer as weird friends with an odd couple dynamic over them being bitter and pissy at each other like last season. 

So it turns out that Linda had a daughter very young, and gave her up, which also feeds into Mazs abandonment issues, and just in time for her mother to die. Oh the drama!

Hey its Alba from Jane the Virgin as the Mother Superior! I can totally see an Alba in an alternate universe running a convent after having fled her home after killing a man in self defense, that actually sounds very Jane the Virgin. 

• Love 7
On 8/22/2020 at 1:33 AM, AnimeMania said:

Linda is only 17 years older than her daughter.

They set her age as being 44 because the Polaroid of her daughter's birth was dated in 1994. (My sister also had a daughter in 1994 at age 17.) So Rachel Harris is playing about eight years younger. I did like meeting the daughter.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 3

Ugh, they just had to create a past pregnancy for Dr Linda. If it was really important, then they shouldn't just dump it on us half way through the final season. It should have at least have come up when she was pregnant, not as a convenient plot point to move Maze's story along.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, GaT said:

Ugh, they just had to create a past pregnancy for Dr Linda. If it was really important, then they shouldn't just dump it on us half way through the final season. It should have at least have come up when she was pregnant, not as a convenient plot point to move Maze's story along.

Well it's not the final season.  But i don't see it as dumping info.  Coming into the series she's a forty year old therapist,  I'd see no reason she'd tell her... literal pro Bono client she gave up a kid twenty years ago.   I have had friends get abortions when we were kids and didn't tell me until very recently. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maze tracked down Linda's daughter pretty easily.

It shouldn't have been too hard. Linda left the kid in the hospital, so the adoption records would be open and not private. With that information, a bounty hunter would have little trouble tracking her down.  I thought it was strange that Linda said she'd tried to find her a few times, but maybe she wasn't really trying either.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

It shouldn't have been too hard. Linda left the kid in the hospital, so the adoption records would be open and not private. With that information, a bounty hunter would have little trouble tracking her down.  I thought it was strange that Linda said she'd tried to find her a few times, but maybe she wasn't really trying either.

It's probably a bit of both. Maze as a bounty hunter has made a career out of finding people, so she probably has resources that Linda wouldn't. Plus Linda "abandoned" the baby, so that would have made local news. Being LA would've been buried deep, nothing more than a paragraph in a paper, but it would be a public record that Maze could follow. But mostly Linda's guilt and fear would have kept her from the most cursory of researches.

I'm kind of hoping we see Linda's daughter again in part B of the season and it's not a dropped thread. Partially because it's too deep a subject for  one and done subplot and I could see it being a fear that Michael goes back to mine, like he does with Chloe's insecurities about Luci's love for her, since Linda is great source of information about other characters that he'd use to manipulate the situation.

On a different note about the episode, doing a binge re-watch of earlier seasons, I noted when Mom told Maze that Amenadiel "blessed" Chloe's parents, she had the same first question about Amenadiel being Chloe's father. Clearly in this universe everyone assumes there's only one way to bless a woman with a child.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Aw. ❤️❤️❤️ I loved this episode. I'm glad I watched it tonight, instead of waiting. 🙂

I really like Amenadial, and liked Lucifer working with Dan (and them getting along). I'm also glad that Amenadial handled the one nun well, and kind of helped to explain what she was feeling. 

That ending. ❤️ 

• Love 2
On 8/26/2020 at 2:09 AM, GaT said:

I think what annoyed me a little bit about this particular chosen "past" for Linda is that it seems to contradict her behavior about her pregnancy with Charlie. With that pregnancy, she seemed like she'd never been pregnant before and that everything was brand new and scary to her. But that wouldn't be the case if she'd already been pregnant once. You can decide to walk away from it afterward, but you really can't forget how it works.

I love this show, but sometimes I think they try too hard to neatly tie together storylines (like a case that perfectly mirrors whatever Lucifer and Chloe are struggling with that week, or in this case Maze's mom tied together with Linda's past, etc.). It's not necessary. The audience will "get it" without a case or a piece of someone's past to tie it all together. And the characters can go through the struggle without a case to force them to see why their behavior is messed up. 

Of all the possible "sins" a show could have, it's a minor one, but it does sometimes feel like they're hitting us over the head with the message of the episode, and I don't need or want that in order to enjoy the show. 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

This has been my favorite episode so far from this season. Everyone got a little something to do, Amenadiel finally got some love and appreciation (from the nuns, LOL), there was a lot of funny going on, and interesting characters paired up for some terrific scenes. Linda and Maze are always so wonderful together, and I liked the unusual pairing of Chloe and Amenadiel working together (and how much that annoyed Lucifer, LOL). Of course, Lucifer and Dan are always a riot. And the end discussion between Chloe and Amenadiel was just lovely. I thought that was a good way for Chloe to move forward again. ❤️ 

• Love 2