Type keyword(s) to search

The Owl House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That fight between Eda and Lilith was incredibly well animated.  Plus seeing Hootie let loose was hilarious.  No wonder Eda said he was the ultimate protection system.  

The series as a whole has been great.  Amity's character arc has been great.  Eda is amazing (and the role seems to be designed for Wendie Malick) and this week they really showed her as the most powerful witch on the Boiling Isles.  While Luz is a bit one note, I still love her especially when she wanted to learn all the magic (I'd be the same).  King is always great comic relief as is Hootie.  I love how confident Gus is and how he's not bothered by his shortcomings (he really is his best self).   Willow's arc has also been good.  Seeing her go from shy to confident (and popular) has been a nice throughline for the show.  Lilith is a very interesting character.  I take it we'll learn more about her next week (season finale) but the show has made it clear that she's jealous of Eda and how powerful Eda is.  They care for each other but Lilith still went after her sister (and did the you know what).  

The Boiling Isles is such a different setting.  It's like a kid's version of a Bosch painting.  Having them live on a literal titan seems like it'll be more of a plot point than I would have expected.  Love the runner about how Giraffes are actually from there and were banished to the Human world.  

• Love 1

Ok, that wasn't what I was expecting. Still really good tho (could've been perfect with a little more PRIMODIAL FEAR)

I wasn't necessarily anticipating it to end on such a (relatively) happy note. I wasn't expecting a tragedy, but I was expecting a larger cliffhanger, like Luz being put back into the human realm temporarily. This isn't a flaw (also gives them more episodic freedom at the start of season 2), but a bit weird for me personally.

MOVING ON TO LILITH. If I had a twitter account I would be dunking on all the Lilith antis rn. Obviously she's still far from perfect, but in the end she made the right call, casting aside her own self-justifications for her sh*tty situation and actions and making a genuinely empathetic decision. Her taking on the curse (or at least part of it) to begin making amends was a great start. She'll obviously be Luz still doesn't like her, which is totally justified, given what she did, and I doubt Eda's going to be exactly chummy right after this, so she might go off on her own a bit towards the start of S2, gradually mending her relationships while also dealing with the curse (I wonder if she'll get a Ravenbeast form?) and her slowly receding magic. As for why she cursed Eda, I was kinda surprised by the reveal that it was because she wanted to win against Eda to get the Emperor's Coven spot (I was expecting it to be more of a "choose one horrible thing or another", a la amity), but the fact that she didn't nearly expect the extent of the curse (she though it would just block her power for a day) softens the blow a lot. Anyways, Lilith has shown herself to be a person capable of horrible, selfish things, but also capable of developing tremendous empathy, and I look forward to seeing where her path takes her (even if I was anticipating her staying as an antagonist for a little longer).

Luz was great this episode, exhibiting a wide range of emotion. Her rage against Lilith was very justified, and it was cool to see her anger both push her to fight harder than she ever has and overtake her in a way we really haven't seen outside of Sense and Insensitivity. Seeing her use her magic to it's fullest against her opponent was a treat (and Wrath was absolutely hilarious again). She's not on the level of even Lilith yet (and Belos was absolutely toying with her), but she's probably the most versatile and combat ready of her peers, which is very impressive. It was also great to see her explicitly familial bond with Eda, and how much they cared for eachother was really sweet. Also, her decision to both surrender and destroy the door was great and genuinely selfish; not only did she deprive herself of her only way back to her mother so that she could save her family, but she also did it so that the human world was safe from Belos. Overall best mc.

I want to talk a bit about the curse. It's still a factor in the story (with two people sharing it now), which means that it has plot relevance. Given that Belos seems to be the crux of the plot, it stands to reason that the curse has a connection to Belos. It also seems like he was (directly or indirectly) manipulating Lilith into cursing Eda, and given that the curse scroll glows with his red aura, it stands to reason that he had a hand in Lilith selecting that particular curse (either through telling her which one, or simply making it available). I don't think it's part of his essence anymore, but I do think that he made the curse as a means to manipulate Lilith and keep Eda under control.

Also, Belos himself seems to be a part of the body horror magic that he can utilize. Glad to finally know what that's about. I do really like the angle they're going at with Belos. He's playing a sort of pope role with his relationship with the Titan, and while I think that some of it is just him using it as a political tool (welcome to religion 101), I do think that there is some truth to his relationship with it. The opening to the episode definitely established that both Belos' backstory and the Titan's backstory will be important later. His role in the plot seems to be very unique for an overlord figure, as he's currently being set up to have a much more active role (he's the only named and important big bad, and has already come into direct physical conflict with the protagonists) than most, and I certainly hope that S2 picks up this steam. His interest in the human world is also kinda unique, as he doesn't want to conquer it. I suspect that, given how wild magic doesn't seem to work on Earth, Belos wants to use the gate on the Day of Unity (which is looking suspiciously like Sozin's comet) to control the wild magic via Earth technology. His power is also very interesting, displaying a wide range of capabilities (and we don't even know his full power, given how he was toying with Luz). Most Skilled Witch on The Boiling Isles is definitely an earned title, and even though Luz is feeling pretty good about her chances against him right now, I suspect that he'll pull the rug out from beneath her in mid-late S2 for some major angst. Also lmao they gave Belos Sans' eyes and powerset.

Eda was also great this episode, even if she didn't get too much to do. Her being so explicitly motherly towards Luz was great. Eda's relationship with Lilith pre-curse was so sweet, with Lilith actually caring for Eda, and Eda wanting both to follow her sister wherever they may end up and for her sister to be happy, which just makes the gut punch of the curse even harder (especially for Lilith).

• Love 1

Disney Channel Conjures a Third Season of "The Owl House" Ahead of Its Season Two Premiere Saturday, June 12

The new opening of season 2 of Disney Channel's The Owl House.

Season two picks up immediately following the confrontation with Emperor Belos and finds our heroes working together to return Luz to the Human Realm, help Eda confront her inner demons, and search for the truth about King's past.

Twenty-one new episodes of the fantasy-comedy series debut every Saturday from June 12 through Aug. 14 on Disney Channel and will also be available the same day on DisneyNOW.

The Season Two guest voice cast includes Peter Gallagher ("The O.C."), Felicia Day ("The Guild"), Harvey Guillén (FX's "What We Do in the Shadows"), Nik Dodani ("Atypical"), Alex Lawther ("The End of the F***ing World") and Debra Wilson ("MADtv").

The (5) Owl House Shorts: Owl Pellets 1) "Welcome to Hexside!", 2) "Eda's Cursed Brush", 3) "Paint Scare!", 4) "Art Lessons with Luz", 5) "Coven Lovin Soap Opera"

Season Three (The Final Season!) will be comprised of three 44-minute specials.

"The Owl House" was a top-five cable animated series with kids and girls 6-11. Two children's books inspired by the series, "The Owl House: Witches before Wizards" and "The Owl House: Hex-cellent Tales from The Boiling Isles," were released earlier this year from Disney Publishing Group and are available at www.DisneyBooks.com.

(edited)

Season 2 Episode 1 “Separate Tides” "spoilerly" synopsis and clip

Spoiler

Spoiler

Luz feeling guilty about Eda losing her powers, so she ventures out in search of a lucrative bounty that will help the Owl House. As a bounty hunter, she encounters a seemingly terrifying monster called Garlog, but soon realizes it is just a ruse.

Edited by AnimeMania

Does anyone else think that Emperor Bellows is related to Luz and he wanted the portal so he could get back to her mom and her (if he knew about Luz)?  Has there been any mention of Luz’s father?

On 6/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, Aliconehead said:

Does anyone else think that Emperor Bellows is related to Luz and he wanted the portal so he could get back to her mom and her (if he knew about Luz)?  Has there been any mention of Luz’s father?

I wouldn't be surprised if Belos turns out to be human (otherwise why wear that mask).

Meanwhile, one other mystery is "Who's been writing Luz's letters from camp?"

Also, today's episode was cool and Sailor Luz was really cute.

So great to see the show back!

Golden Guard is just a smug bastard, I'm gonna love him. I'm also loving the budding friendship between Hooty and Lilith (or Hoocifer and Lulu!), as well as the growing dynamic between Luz and Eda.

I appreciated the continuity nod that Eda and Lilith were in the Potion track at Hexside, so they're still able to brew potions. Just because they can't cast magic like they used to doesn't mean they're powerless.

9 hours ago, johntfs said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Belos turns out to be human (otherwise why wear that mask).

I thought Golden Guard could be human, too, but looking at the intro again shows he has witch ears. They both have staffs that look more mechanical than magical.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

Twenty-one new episodes of the fantasy-comedy series debut every Saturday from June 12 through Aug. 14 on Disney Channel and will also be available the same day on DisneyNOW.

So how does that work? Are they dropping multiple episodes per week? Because June 12 to Aug 14 isn’t close to 21 weeks.

1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:
On 5/17/2021 at 4:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

So how does that work? Are they dropping multiple episodes per week? Because June 12 to Aug 14 isn’t close to 21 weeks.

Since that is roughly 10 weeks, I am guessing that Season 2 will be shown in 2 separate parts.

(edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 11:19 PM, AnimeMania said:

Since that is roughly 10 weeks, I am guessing that Season 2 will be shown in 2 separate parts.

Probably so.  The first season during 2020 had episodes 1-10 run from Jan. 10 - March 13.  Then episode 11-19 ran from July 11 - August 29.  That was 16 weeks.

The first 10 episodes of S2 will run from June 19 - August 14.  16 weeks from then would be December 11.  Given how close to Christmas that is (and that Christmas and New Year's Day fall on Saturdays this time) I'd predict part 2 of Season 2 will start on January 9, 2022.

As I understand it (and I could easily be wrong), Season 3 will take the form of 3-4 44 minutes "movies" and be the final season.

Edited by johntfs
  • Useful 2

So they are progressing the Amity/Luz relationship.  Its been clear Amity had feelings for Luz but I never saw more than friendship from Luz until this episode.  Seems both are interested.  I also like that they have toned down the Twins bullying, making it more sibling less cruel.  

1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

So they are progressing the Amity/Luz relationship.  Its been clear Amity had feelings for Luz but I never saw more than friendship from Luz until this episode.  Seems both are interested.  I also like that they have toned down the Twins bullying, making it more sibling less cruel.  

You probably need to catch episode Two of this season and pay careful attention toward the end of the episode. 

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

You probably need to catch episode Two of this season and pay careful attention toward the end of the episode. 

I did see the blush on first watch. Thanks for reminding me.  You are right. 

(edited)

So where do you all think the storyline is going?  Who is Belos and what's wrong with him?  And geez, get together already, Luz and Amity! :). And of course,

Spoiler

what is the Luz doppelganger on Earth and who sent it?  I assume Belos, but why?  And now, since the portal hasn't been fixed yet.

And Hooty continues to not disappoint.  I appreciate that the writers realize he can only be used in relatively small doses.  But he's gold when they do use him.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:

So where do you all think the storyline is going?  Who is Belos and what's wrong with him?  And geez, get together already, Luz and Amity! :). And of course,

Reveal spoiler

what is the Luz doppelganger on Earth and who sent it?  I assume Belos, but why?  And now, since the portal hasn't been fixed yet.

And Hooty continues to not disappoint.  I appreciate that the writers realize he can only be used in relatively small doses.  But he's gold when they do use him.

1. Luz will continue to try to get back to the human realm and probably at least partially succed by the mid-season finale since it is guaranteed to end on an epic cliffhanger.

2. Belos is cursed like Eda, there are many theories as to his true origins but we have no way of knowing for sure yet. Some think he is Phillip, the ancient human from the 16th century who came to the Island.

3. I agree, Hooty is gold. Definitely my favorite character.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious forward motion on multiple fronts.  Luz and Amity are officially (going to be) going out on dates and stuff.

King gets a demon-superpower.  Eda reaches an armistice with her inner Owl-beast (which might let her get her magic back) and basically pulls a Banner-Hulk from Avengers: Endgame.

Lots of stuff happening and that ending.  Hooty is both the best and the fucking worst.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, johntfs said:

Lots of stuff happening and that ending.  Hooty is both the best and the fucking worst.

A definite summation of Hooty as a character.

And we all thought this was gonna be filler. Nope! We get demon lore! King developing a voice power! We see more of Eda's background (like her dad!) and reconciling with her curse to achieve a Harpy Owl Eda form! Hooty does his damndest to make Lumity a thing (it works!!)! We get more info from the echo mouse! AND King's dad at the end?!

I laughed really hard at the Tunnel of Love scene. Luz had that face that said "oh great, Hooty ships us." I knew that once Luz started worrying about being seen as cheesy, I wanted to yell at her saying that's what Amity loves about you! You could see it on her face that she was loving that tunnel of love!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I laughed really hard at the Tunnel of Love scene. Luz had that face that said "oh great, Hooty ships us." I knew that once Luz started worrying about being seen as cheesy, I wanted to yell at her saying that's what Amity loves about you! You could see it on her face that she was loving that tunnel of love!

I took Luz's look more as "Oh no!  Hooty's, stupid cheesy bullshit is going to ruin my chance with Amity!"  Luz wasn't annoyed.  She was terrified.

We don't know many details about her life on Earth but we can infer a few things.  For her school projects Luz did big, involved productions which frequently involved live animals and insects.  Luz was 14 when the show started, so even by then she'd probably had a few crushes on people.  Luz probably tried to act on them with some big, cheesy involved production that either scared them away or made her a school-wide laughing stock.

The only person Luz seems attached to from Earth is her mother.  She doesn't mention friends, teachers or anyone else.  Aside from missing her mother the main reason Luz cited for wanting to re-open the portal was "that's how books like this always end."  It was only after coming to the Boiling Isles that Luz has formed strong personal connections and friendships with others. 

More on point with Amity, this is the first time Luz has had a crush on someone who seems to return her feelings so Luz is desperate not to screw it up.  Luz can't see Amity getting sadder and more bummed at Luz destroying the cheesy Tunnel of Love because she's lost in her head recalling other cheesy stuff she did that blew up in her face.  Luz was so determined not to make her same mistakes that she made all new ones.  Fortunately it still worked out.

For my part I liked seeing Luz this way.  A lot of the times Luz has come off as a little "too good."  Here she felt more like an actual teenager, self-conscious "tunnel vision" and all.  It made Luz feel more real to me and if anything made her even more lovable.

• Love 3

God I loved how even in the end Luz had to psych herself up to ask Amity out.  The facial expressions were so on point.

I also love how while we see things from Luz's point of view, Amity's facial expressions throughout really give a good picture of her as well.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

How come Luz didn't ask Five how she made it to the Human World?

How has Eda been going back and forth to the Human World?

Didn’t five see Luz come to the Boiling Isle and use the same portal?  Isn’t that portal how Eda get to the human world also?  Luz then blew up the portal rather than give it to Belos 

glad Five was not evil taking over Luz’s life. She was just scared and looking for a place to belong  .  Five was also at camp, which makes the text from her mom saying she enjoyed Luz’s letters make sense. Nice call back

• Love 2
On 8/15/2021 at 10:21 PM, Aliconehead said:

Didn’t five see Luz come to the Boiling Isle and use the same portal?  Isn’t that portal how Eda get to the human world also?  Luz then blew up the portal rather than give it to Belos 

glad Five was not evil taking over Luz’s life. She was just scared and looking for a place to belong  .  Five was also at camp, which makes the text from her mom saying she enjoyed Luz’s letters make sense. Nice call back

I don't think she saw Luz arrive initially.  Five just saw the door Eda was using to get her human garage and decided to take a chance.  She saw Luz and recognized her as a human, but that was it, I think.

The Owl House Season 2 (second half) will start airing Saturday, March 19 on the Disney Channel. 

FLSQF-LVQAQFylM?format=jpg&name=medium

The Owl House Season 2 is 21 episodes in total, the first 10 has already aired. 

The Owl House's third and final season, will consist of three 44-minute specials.

S02.E12: Elsewhere and Elsewhen

Luz is desperate for more information about Philip Wittebane, the creator of the portal door. With Lilith's help, she sets off on a journey for the ages.

Original Airdate: Mar 26, 2022
FOh7nWhXsAYDHIJ?format=jpg&name=medium
FOpRXrTWUAo6FoB?format=jpg&name=medium

So Philip is probably Bellos. That was my theory very early on, but it got kinda shaky when we saw him and he didn't look human. But he probably changed his appearance with all the magic that is keeping him alive until the eclipse.

Belos not having human ears threw me too.  Also not sure what the deal is with him donating his diary to the library and then only emerging as Belos around 50 years ago.  

This was really a fulcrum episode.  We get a possible origin for Belos, more of Philip plus it looks like Phillip was traveling with another human based on the echo mouse's projection.  We also get Eda's Dad (Dell) and a nice Lilith episode.  

I wonder if the other human is connected to the Clawthorne family.  We learned earlier that people without magic, like Hunter, can use palismans for magic.  It's possible that the other human went in that direction instead of using glyphs and that's why the Clawthornes are known for making palismans.  Also may explain why the door was found on the Clawthorne property.

S02.E13: Any Sport in a Storm

Hunter goes undercover at Hexside for his most important mission yet. Meanwhile, Willow is determined to succeed at an exciting new sport.

Original Airdate: April 2, 2022
FPMjofmWYA8k0uA?format=jpg&name=900x900
zfibav7f2zm81.jpg?auto=webp&s=9a398e3c6b

That was a fun episode.  If you look at Amity's pic you can see Eda and Rain in the background and Amity's mom and I believe Darius in the foreground.  I was neat to see the Warden back and I like that we got more of Amity's dad and siblings.  I guess Amity is the only one who took after their dad by going abomination track.  I like what they did with Luz as well, it was nice to see a bit of her being homesick.  It was also nice seeing Vee with Luz's mom.  

It was interesting seeing an Eda without the curse weighing on her mind, how she was obviously more carefree, but seemed to have anxieties regarding her social life, with her only friend being her sister. Lilith, on the other hand, seems to be struggling with her own ego in regards to Eda, and is starting to push her away which helps paint a fuller picture of the situation the two were in at the time of the coven tryouts.

And there’s some interesting stuff (that they didn’t visit) in the “paintings” in the True Mind of Belos/Philip.  Like it looks that he may have killed his own brother and that his brother may have had a relationship with a Boiling Isles witch. (Presumably that’s why Philip killed him?)

• Love 1

That thing Belos summoned was very Bill Cypher.

On 4/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, QuantumMechanic said:

And there’s some interesting stuff (that they didn’t visit) in the “paintings” in the True Mind of Belos/Philip.  Like it looks that he may have killed his own brother and that his brother may have had a relationship with a Boiling Isles witch. (Presumably that’s why Philip killed him?)

Also Hunter is most likely a clone of said brother.

Belos talked about the golden guard always betraying him, that it always hurt to kill them and that he had to make new ones a bunch of times. The lie that Belos and Hutner are family probably isn't actually a lie. Just their exact relation is.

Plus, Hunter has the same hair as the brother...

Though Belos called him "an old friend". Either he didn't want to give too much away or they weren't brothers, but just grew up together.

Edit: I made screenshots of the paintings. I think I got them all: https://imgur.com/a/N8uIYaH

Edited by Zonk
20 hours ago, Zonk said:

Though Belos called him "an old friend". Either he didn't want to give too much away or they weren't brothers, but just grew up together.

It's possible that Belos/Phillip just doesn't consider the other guy family due to the "betrayal" of him getting with a witch.