Type keyword(s) to search

Lovecraft Country in the Media: Road Trippin’ through the Inter-webs, Social Media etc

• Start Topic

Yeah, the episode one audio is about an hour (since I watch the episodes OnDemand, I also just catch the podcast there on the HBO site, too). The content is really great, but words of warning: A) the vocal fry is STRONG in the writer for the discussion (if that's a big turn-off for you), and B) if you listen with kids, or those with delicate sensibilities, lol, the "fucks" are also strong in this one. Really interesting discussion, though, and I'm hopeful it adds to my already strong like for the show the way the podcasts for The Plot Against America did.

I like this new, associated-podcast trend HBO has going on.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2020 at 12:03 PM, tljgator said:

Yeah, the episode one audio is about an hour (since I watch the episodes OnDemand, I also just catch the podcast there on the HBO site, too). The content is really great, but words of warning: A) the vocal fry is STRONG in the writer for the discussion (if that's a big turn-off for you), and B) if you listen with kids, or those with delicate sensibilities, lol, the "fucks" are also strong in this one. Really interesting discussion, though, and I'm hopeful it adds to my already strong like for the show the way the podcasts for The Plot Against America did.

I like this new, associated-podcast trend HBO has going on.

I want to listen to everything.  I liked the McMillions podcasts.  But that vocal fry!  I wonder if they will be on every week?

37 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

I want to listen to everything.  I liked the McMillions podcasts.  But that vocal fry!  I wonder if they will be on every week?

The McMillions podcasts were great -- loved those, too! I'm hoping they keep Ashley and maybe rotate to different writers or actors each week -- I might be able to manage the vocal fry better if it's not constant, lol. Not gonna lie, though, that was a rough hour.

Summary: Episodes 3 - 5 Zap2It

Holy Ghost - Leti turns a ramshackle Victorian on Chicago's North Side into a boarding house, an endeavor that stokes racism and awakens dormant spirits stuck in the house; George's wife, Hippolyta, presses Atticus for the full story of what happened in Ardham.

A History of Violence - After Christina shows up at her doorstep, Leti confronts Atticus about his plan to surreptitiously return to Florida; in search of missing pages to a crucial text, Leti, Tic and Montrose head to Boston, with Hippolyta and Diana along for the ride.

Strange Case - After making a devil's bargain with William, Ruby steps into the charmed shoes of a white woman; a betrayal by Montrose unleashes Atticus' pent-up rage, leaving Leti deeply disturbed and sending Montrose into the comforting arms of his secret lover.

• Love 2

The podcast coverage for episode 3 was really good. They discussed Leti’s trauma over DYING and coming back to life. As well as religious themes. 

Maybe we should have a thread just to discuss the podcast if enough ppl are interested?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

The podcast coverage for episode 3 was really good. They discussed Leti’s trauma over DYING and coming back to life. As well as religious themes. 

Maybe we should have a thread just to discuss the podcast if enough ppl are interested?

It would probably be OK to discuss whatever they say in the regular episode thread since they never discuss anything pertaining to future episodes. 

• Love 1

I really hope that there's going to be some sort of companion book of the show when it's done. I'd love to see the notes about references, costume design, set design pieces that have greater significance than we might notice at first, and so on.

• Love 3

New question: Does anyone know of any sites that they consider especially valuable for informative recaps? I'm only actively following "The Safe Negro Travel Guide to Lovecraft Country" on The Root, so I know I must be missing other good writers. [Yes, I know of the podcast Lovecraft Country Radio; I'm specifically looking for text, please.]

Edited by Epeolatrix
To clarify my question
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Epeolatrix said:

New question: Does anyone know of any sites that they consider especially valuable for informative recaps? I'm only actively following "The Safe Negro Travel Guide to Lovecraft Country" on The Root, so I know I must be missing other good writers. [Yes, I know of the podcast Lovecraft Country Radio; I'm specifically looking for text, please.]

I don’t but I will keep an eye out and share here if I find one. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Epeolatrix said:

I like: 

Vulture.com (limited free articles but worth the subscription IMO)

https://www.vulture.com/article/lovecraft-country-season-1-episode-3-recap-holy-ghost.html

Alan Sepinwall/Rolling Stone (free)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/lovecraft-country-recap-episode-3-holy-ghost-1050954/amp/

AV Club (free)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tv.avclub.com/lovecraft-country-is-better-than-an-allegory-it-s-fan-f-1844743557/amp

The Ringer (free)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/tv/2020/8/17/21371365/lovecraft-country-premiere-recap-review

I’m going to add The Root to my reading! Thank you!

Edited by LBS
  • Love 3

Tom and Lorenzo's recaps of this have been pretty good.

Most Recent:

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2020/08/lovecraft-country-holy-ghost/#.X07rCvJ7nr4

Their LC index page:

https://tomandlorenzo.com/tag/lovecraft-country/#.X07rSvJ7nr4

Since they are a fashion site primarily, they've also done a fashion specific analysis of the first episode.  I expect they'll do more.

Pro-tip to read articles behind a paywall that you don't want to subscribe to:  There is a site called outline.com where if you put in the article URL it'll bypass the paywall.  It doesn't work for every site (NY Times and LA TImes are two major exceptions) but I've had good luck with quite a few. 

• Love 4

The Hollywood Reporter is doing a bunch of year-end "best of" lists, including a "Best TV Performances of 2020" list. Before I opened it, I actually said out loud, "If Jurnee Smollett isn't on this list, I'm gonna throw something."  Thankfully, all items are safe in my house. 😊
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/hollywood-reporter-critics-pick-the-best-tv-performances-of-2020

Jurnee Smollett, Lovecraft Country (HBO)
There are times, especially in the second half of the season, when I couldn't tell you exactly what was going on in HBO's Lovecraft Country, or why. But in shows this bizarre, sometimes it's enough to believe that the actors/characters care what's happening — and there is no point during the entirety of this period horror pastiche at which Smollett isn't 100 percent locked in. The Friday Night Lights and Underground veteran, who has earned the right to be considered an A-list star a dozen times over by now, gives a blazing turn; in one early scene, she's on a rampage with a baseball bat, and if any moment was designed to be the representative gif of 2020, it's that one. Plus, Smollett and Jonathan Majors’ chemistry should be bottled (though to what end I'm not sure). — D.F.

Also, from THR's  "10 Best TV Episodes of 2020."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/hollywood-reporter-tv-critics-pick-the-10-best-episodes-of-2020

"Strange Case," Lovecraft Country (HBO)
The fun and disorienting thing about HBO's ambitious racial allegory/horror pastiche is that nearly every episode was something different. The events of "Strange Case" — somewhere between a body-swap satire and an American Werewolf in London-style transformation story — were the piece of Matt Ruff's book that I was most curious to see Misha Green and company tackle. And in the hands of indie director Cheryl Dunye, the episode proved to be audaciously gross, full of skin-sloughing viscera, and an appropriately probing examination of racial identity and gender fluidity in America in the 1950s and today. Kudos to Dunye for never flinching and to Wunmi Mosaku and Jamie Neumann for their episode-anchoring performances. — D.F.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 3

It is the Golden Globes.  My personal pet theory is that underneath it all, the GGs chase clout.  They'll recognize a known name over a superior performance by a lesser name.   I mean, Al Pacino in Hunters?  Really?

• Love 2

HOLY SHOGGOTH! 'LOVECRAFT COUNTRY' HOME RELEASE PEELS BACK THE COSMIC CURTAIN ON THE SHOW'S VARIOUS MONSTERS

Lovecraft Country's first season arrives on DVD ($29.98) and Blu-Ray ($39.99)  Tuesday, Feb. 16. It's currently available to purchase via digital platforms such as Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play, Vudu, PlayStation, Xbox, and more. Certain Blu-Rays will come with digital download redemption codes.

lovecraft-country-s1-bd-boxart1.jpeg

bonus material: 

"Orithyia Blue and the Imagination of Diana Freeman"

"Crafting Lovecraft Country"

"Exploring Lovecraft Country"

"Lovecraft Country The Craft"

"Compendium of Horrors" 

• Love 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Period Television
Bridgerton: "Diamond of the First Water" – Ellen Mirojnick & John W. Glaser III
The Crown: "Terra Nullius" – Amy Roberts
Lovecraft Country: "I Am." – Dayna Pink
Mrs. America: "Shirley" – Bina Daigeler
The Queen's Gambit: "End Game" – Gabriele Binder

• Love 2

Apparently, S2 was going to take place in a world where the U.S. had been split into separate subnations -- a tribal nation in the west, a Jeffersonian republic in the northeast, a New Negro Republic in the South, and a dangerous border area called the Whitelands with a large zombie population in the Midwest, according to the former showrunner's Twitter:

• Useful 1