Type keyword(s) to search

Lovecraft Country Cast In Other Roles

• Start Topic

Given the caliber of the Lovecraft Country cast, they've done many other things, like, say, Jonathan Majors in The Last Black Man In San Francisco, Jurnee Smolett-Bell's role in Birds Of Prey  Courtney B. Vance's Emmy-winning performance as Johnnie Cochran in American Crime Story: the People Vs O.J. Simpson or Michael Kenneth Williams' iconic role as Omar Little in The Wire.

Discuss any of the Lovecraft Country cast's other roles, past, present or future.

• Love 1

Just watched Birds of Prey this past weekend. The movie overall is kind of uneven. Go into it with low expectations, and being able to ignore that the main villain is a whiny brat and that it should have made its mind up to be either entirely a Harley Quinn movie or a Birds of Prey movie, and there are worse ways to spend a couple hours. 

Jurnee was pretty decent in it. I'd check out a sequel if they make one and would hope that she'd get more chances to shine.

Since I mentioned it in the episode 2 thread, I'll put it here.  But I first saw Jurnee in Eve's Bayou (she played the titular character).  The movie was excellent and all the performances were great.  I remember thinking Jurnee was so cute, but Debi Morgan (who I stanned as Angie from All My Children forever) was the stand out.

• Love 1

Big news for Jonathan Majors: word is he is set to be a big villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Kang the Conqueror!

For those not familiar with comics, Kang is basically one of the most powerful threats in the Marvel Universe, a time-travveling warlord who's wearing a suit of armor that makes Iron Man's look like tinfoil cosplay. It's Galactus, Thanos, Doom, and then Kang, most likely in terms of big ticket threats.

I don't know if we have ever seen Kang unmasked, but the notion that he's a black guy is mind-blowing.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/jonathan-majors-ant-man-3-marvel-universe-1203028234/

• Love 2

I remember first seeing Jonathan Majors in a supporting role in Hostiles, a Western starring Christian Bale, Rosamund Pike, and Wes Studi.  A pretty brutal and dark film at times, but I thought it was great, and Majors did a good job amongst a pretty stacked cast (which also included Ben Foster, Jesse Plemons, and a "before he was famous" Timothee Chalamet.)

Since she just had her big episode, Jamie Chung is someone who has had an interesting career.  She has been in shows like Gotham, Once Upon a Time, and The Gifted, and films like The Hangover III, Sucker Punch, and voiced Go Go in Big Hero 6 (and, err, was in Dragonball Evolution, but I think most want to pretend that film doesn't exist!)  But what I find fun is that she got her start on the reality show, The Real World, of all things.  She was in the San Diego season in 2004.  As I mentioned in the episode thread, I have to think she has had one of; if not the; most successful career out of The Real World alumnus!

Abbey Lee (Christina) played a different kind of crazy as one of Immortan Joe's wives in Mad Max: Fury Road.  Meanwhile, her other half, Jordan Patrick Smith (William) is also currently Ubbe on Vikings, and is completely different there!

• Love 2