Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: A Gamble in the Desert

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah I wonder if there is more of it now or in the past people just didn’t talk about it.

It’s because of the internet and 24/hour news circles. Now you get any news from anywhere at the touch of a button so you have access to more information more quickly... I don’t think it’s more prevalent now then it was then when it was reported it’s just we now have access to all the information from everywhere at any time 

• Love 5

What baffles me is the level of denial of the non-prison "better" halves . Quaylon has spent his entire adult life in prison.  Does Shavel think he is ready to step up, get married and be a father? (and don't get me going about her constant moaning that her daughter "already calls him "Daddy". That was NOT the child's idea.) I have heard that kids who get sick (such as cancer) experience arrested development at the point they become sick. I think it is true of those who go to jail young also. This guy has not experienced anything as an adult- having a job, family responsibilities, paying bills, balancing a checkbook, setting up an apartment and utilities.  He's basically a 17 year old. Of course he promised her the world... I'm sure there were a lot of- ahem- promises made (and she did say she was gonna treat him like a grown-ass man, y'all!) So any guy who's been in the clinker for ten or so years is going to first and foremost make good on the sexual promises. I realize Shavel got taken once before in her life, but she seems to have learned zilch from the experience.

Destinee makes my skin crawl. She doesn't even hide her motives: yup, she's taking this guy for all he'll give her now that she's free, and she wants to drink, dance, and swear as much as she damn well pleases. The friends seem slightly amused by her... now, if they really are true friends they need to tell Shawn to plan his escape route once he gets her to her hearing. Shawn has a weird angle on all his talking heads- it's as if the camera is in his lap, which just accentuates his odd looks and flipper teeth.

I think the whole "breaking parole" thing with Maurice was fake. We didn't really need the added wailing sirens twice in there, Matt Sharp. Jessica acts like she is tweaking most of the time. I don't think this relationship will end well.

Tyrice and Chanda... ugh.  The butt-admiring/slapping, Tyrice's forthright "I wanted to have sex with her", along with the constant comments about her ass are pathetic. He did seem rather empathetic with her as they ate their "appetizers" of desserts in plastic containers. But she's already confessed to us that she's communicated with numerous men... the big "I haven't told him but I have a secret..." that we've known to expect and love. We are all left wondering... will Tyrice's love of a bubble butt be enough to sustain their love for eternity?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Shawn has a weird angle on all his talking heads- it's as if the camera is in his lap, which just accentuates his odd looks and flipper teeth

He looks like if Cliff the mailman on Cheers and John Prine had a love child.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Goldfish have better reasoning skills.

Thus Shavel/Quaalude’s decision to bring a goldfish to My Eela (Daughter Shavel) for their first meeting. Gotta have something with brains to help these two star-crossed lovers figure out what to do when tomorrow arrives.

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Are we sure Shawn's house isn't an Air Bnb? 

I think it is. Production probably set it up for him. I bet he really lives in a seedy studio apartment on the crime infested side of town. No way can he afford a nice home, 50K for his goddess and support for his SIX kids. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Thus Shavel/Quaalude’s decision to bring a goldfish to My Eela (Daughter Shavel) for their first meeting. Gotta have something with brains to help these two star-crossed lovers figure out what to do when tomorrow arrives.

It looked like they had plastic wrap over the fish.  Might have explained why it wasn’t moving much.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:
7 hours ago, Kayz Opinion said:

Perhaps his BLUUUE suit and blue Slippery Earls shut down her sex drive for 24 hours.

He ended up with blue balls.

Maybe when this pandemic is over we can team up and write for TV.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Destinee makes my skin crawl. She doesn't even hide her motives: yup, she's taking this guy for all he'll give her now that she's free, and she wants to drink, dance, and swear as much as she damn well pleases.

I think there's a degree of mental illness there...and perhaps child abuse from an early age.  She'll be back in the slammer in no time.  Buh-bye $5,000.  Sad...really sad for everyone, her, her mother, Shawn, his pretend wife and thirty kids ....

1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

The friends seem slightly amused by her... now, if they really are true friends they need to tell Shawn to plan his escape route once he gets her to her hearing.

I think they WILL tell him...and then he'll DUMP 'EM for not being loyal.   He'll go slithering back to those true friends when he's broke and brokenhearted.  

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Cammi said:

She will NEVER find another sucker like Shawn again. No good man wants that trash. How bad of a woman was his ex with the six kids not to get that lifestyle?

His ex is probably a good, hard working person.  I bet life was good (for him) and a struggle for her. Her problem?  She wasn't DANGEROUS, WILD and EXCITING like DESTINIE.   Destinie probably talked about sexual activities Shawn had never (ever!) heard or read about.  Led down the garden path...and everyone is worse off.  Everyone. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

His ex is probably a good, hard working person.  I bet life was good (for him) and a struggle for her. Her problem?  She wasn't DANGEROUS, WILD and EXCITING like DESTINIE.   Destinie probably talked about sexual activities Shawn had never (ever!) heard or read about.  Led down the garden path...and everyone is worse off.  Everyone. 

Took him SIX kids to figure out that he didn’t love the mother of those kids. Would have been cheaper for Shawn to find a hooker and get his freak on (do people still say that?). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Shawn being a shitty parent isn't about shopping at Plato's closet.  His poor choice is spending so much money chasing younger women, looking for love in prison, choosing someone base purely on physical attraction and building her into a great person in his head.  And when she messes up (and she will) he'll lose $50K that he does not have. He's in debt and adding to it for the dream that is Destinie.  I would say after a day with her, even dimbulb Shawn figured something out.

giphy.gif

Exactly 

If he can't see her for who she is, he deserves whatever he gets. She's awful 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Maybeitsme said:

Exactly 

She must have been sending him packets of her underwear and steamy erotica in her letters. It something. Cause yeah, she's shown nothing redeemable so far.

2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Took him SIX kids to figure out that he didn’t love the mother of those kids. Would have been cheaper for Shawn to find a hooker and get his freak on (do people still say that?). 

In this context? Yes. "Freak" is the totally appropriate word for him.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Sometimes people find out their spouses or other family members are molesters.  At some point you just have to live.

When Mini Persnickety was about 12, I dated but never took anyone around her, never gave out my address and instead would meet the other person somewhere, and even had a Tracphone (burner phone) that I used if I wanted to give my number to someone I didn't know well and didn't want to have them track me down via my regular cell phone.  Probably sounds a tad paranoid, but protecting her was #1 priority and I took every precaution I could.

Mother Persnickety started to trying to fix up her best friend's son with me.  He was so handsome, so nice, so respectful, loved his mother, gainfully employed, yada yada yada.  I told her I'd think about it and did a little internet research on the guy.

Yep, right there on the Megan's Law site, there he was.  The son of my mother's best friend had been arrested and convicted more than once for unlawful sexual contact with someone under 14 (I can't remember the wording now of the exact charges).  My daughter was 12, apparently right in his preferred age range.

A lot of people wouldn't think twice about inviting someone into their home if that person had known the family all of his life and the parents were best friends.  When I showed my mom what this guy was REALLY like, she tried to make excuses for him.  "Maybe the girl was closer to 14 and lied about her age."  She got a bit indignant when I replied, "Or maybe he's just a fucking pervert and shouldn't be around ANY children."  

As you said, sometimes people find out that unlikely suspects are the ones that turn out to be the molesters.  Even the ones that don't raise any red flags or set off any particular alarms.

When the participants on this show start dragging home these inmates they don't even know and expose them to their children, I'm beyond mortified.  It's the one major drawback to this show, as entertaining as it.  I really wish they wouldn't cast participants with children.  I hate to see that reckless behavior encouraged with a paycheck, because the kids would pay the ultimate price.  

• Love 10

@Persnickety1 . . . 

You are a wise parent and an example of the safety measures ANYONE (especially someone with kids) should take.  You didn't JUST keep "MiniPersnickety" off of a TV show, you protected her . . . and yourself.

I get the feeling that if anyone HAD tried to be inappropriate with her, there would be one less penis in the world.  MamaBearPersnickety1.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Maybeitsme said:

This is going to end up being one BIG/LIFELONG error.  Surely he comes out of it alive.  Ruined financially.  Ruined personally. Lost all respectability...but alive.  He's such a dumb guy...in the ways of the world.

• Love 2

You are with me or against me... her being with you means keeping you OUT of trouble you fucking dip shit her not wanting you to skip out on a part of your parole is being with you ugh he deserves to go back to jail just for thinking the rules don’t apply to him especially with this being his third strike 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think it is. Production probably set it up for him. I bet he really lives in a seedy studio apartment on the crime infested side of town. No way can he afford a nice home, 50K for his goddess and support for his SIX kids. 

Shawn has some kind of a side gig to be able to support six kids, send gifts to prison, have $50 available in a 401K and $5 for the down payment.  Now a trip to Vegas.  Something tells me the Shawn we are seeing is only the tip of the iceburg.  Maybe he inherited money from deceased parents and he owns the garage?  Maybe he sell something other than tires.

Something just isn't sitting right with him.  Dumb bunny or slick as a whip.

I've got my EYE on you Shawn.  I'm watching you!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Now a trip to Vegas. 

He lives there. 

Jessica whined for days that she wanted to return to Vegas but didn’t want to be away from Maurice.  He (stupidly) tries to accommodate her and now she is protesting?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

When the participants on this show start dragging home these inmates they don't even know and expose them to their children, I'm beyond mortified.  It's the one major drawback to this show, as entertaining as it.  I really wish they wouldn't cast participants with children.

I keep thinking about that too. Lacey married a man she barely knew and moved him in with her three very young kids. That's appalling. John has issues, but the kids at least appear to know and be bonded to John. (I remember at that beach scene that devolved into a fight, her kids ran up to John and hugged him, happy to see him.) At least she has a father who is actively involved with her kids and appears to have some sense, but that's a scenario that could go VERY left very quickly.

Shavel's daughter calling Qualon Daddy was 100% not her idea, and Shavel should not have initiated that. Why she thinks a man who has not spent a second of his adult life out of prison is a good father for her kid/partner for her.

(I'm on the older side of the millennial generation and did a LOT of babysitting from middle school through college and I was great at it - I like kids. I have had several background checks because I also did more "formal" work with kids at after-school programs and camps. My friends who have kids do use babysitters but very often they're the kids' teachers - like, my best friend's youngest is in preschool and his teacher, who is in her mid-20s, babysits for most of the kids on the side. I don't know if any of my friends with kids use, like, the teenage neighbor down the street.)

Maurice's wife's privilege showed when she wanted to appeal to a supervisor. "I want to speak to a manager" works for a white woman with a professional job. It's not the same for Maurice. Maurice and Jessica are the Cheryl and Josh of this season in that I like Maurice more than Jessica. I don't understand why they didn't get this parole thing straight when he was locked up.

John telling his MIL, basically, "I ain't shit" was hilarious. He's a felon who ran off with his wife's cousin and then proceeded to marry twice more, AND he has 8 kids. Of all of them, he is the one that creeps me out the most. Like, if he has bodies in the basement, I wouldn't be that surprised.

Tyrice's GF is a very old-looking 28. I thought it was funny that she gave him shit for being overdressed.

Shawn is a trick, plain and simple. Destinie isn't even hiding it. It's embarrassing to watch.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Kayz Opinion said:

It wasn't the "overdressed" as much as the BRIGHT BLUE !!!

He was overdressed though. She had on jeans and a t-shirt & they weren’t at a fancy restaurant. I mean, better overdressed than underdressed - at least he put in some effort.

• Love 3
On 8/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, MrBuhBye said:

John’s MIL with the COPD and the deadpan vocal delivery.  Oy vey.  Looks like they both ordered pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes with brown gravy at the sad Dubuque diner.  In the good part of town, not near that dad gummed halfway house.

Her food looked downright inedible.  The sort of food where portion size is the selling point.  They could have served it to her in a shake cup to go.  It was all so.....taupe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I keep thinking about that too. Lacey married a man she barely knew and moved him in with her three very young kids. That's appalling. John has issues, but the kids at least appear to know and be bonded to John. (I remember at that beach scene that devolved into a fight, her kids ran up to John and hugged him, happy to see him.) At least she has a father who is actively involved with her kids and appears to have some sense, but that's a scenario that could go VERY left very quickly.

Shavel's daughter calling Qualon Daddy was 100% not her idea, and Shavel should not have initiated that. Why she thinks a man who has not spent a second of his adult life out of prison is a good father for her kid/partner for her.

(I'm on the older side of the millennial generation and did a LOT of babysitting from middle school through college and I was great at it - I like kids. I have had several background checks because I also did more "formal" work with kids at after-school programs and camps. My friends who have kids do use babysitters but very often they're the kids' teachers - like, my best friend's youngest is in preschool and his teacher, who is in her mid-20s, babysits for most of the kids on the side. I don't know if any of my friends with kids use, like, the teenage neighbor down the street.)

Maurice's wife's privilege showed when she wanted to appeal to a supervisor. "I want to speak to a manager" works for a white woman with a professional job. It's not the same for Maurice. Maurice and Jessica are the Cheryl and Josh of this season in that I like Maurice more than Jessica. I don't understand why they didn't get this parole thing straight when he was locked up.

John telling his MIL, basically, "I ain't shit" was hilarious. He's a felon who ran off with his wife's cousin and then proceeded to marry twice more, AND he has 8 kids. Of all of them, he is the one that creeps me out the most. Like, if he has bodies in the basement, I wouldn't be that surprised.

Tyrice's GF is a very old-looking 28. I thought it was funny that she gave him shit for being overdressed.

Shawn is a trick, plain and simple. Destinie isn't even hiding it. It's embarrassing to watch.

Jessica is a textbook Karen.  All she needs is the haircut.  

That supervisor line catapulted her right into the most annoying person this season.  

As if Maurice hasn't appealed and begged as much as he can....Karen Jessica will come in and talk to a supervisor because no one can deny a pissy white woman.  JFC.  

Maybe.....MAYBE....if she wasn't so unpleasant and sour faced all the fucking time Maurice wouldn't feel like he has to run to Vegas to keep her happy.  Yes, he is a grown adult but I can see how a man who knows that Jessica is his key to some of the trappings of a good life would try to do anything to keep her happy. 

Does he just have to stay in Cali?  Why not rent an Airbnb where they could spend most of the time?

Anyways, Jessica seems super needy and she is physically unattractive.  Maurice is going to cheat on her as soon as he gets comfortably set up. 

• Love 4
On 8/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, mamadrama said:

She must have been sending him packets of her underwear and steamy erotica in her letters. It something. Cause yeah, she's shown nothing redeemable so far.

In this context? Yes. "Freak" is the totally appropriate word for him.

LOL if destinee was sending him underwear Shawn would have figured out she gained 30 pounds.  

She really did lucky.  She looks like a troll.  Even when she is dressed up for her ITMs she looks like trash.  And as someone else pointed out, she looks around Shawn's age. 

I think Chandra (tyrices girlfriend) looks beautiful in her ITMs.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

LOL if destinee was sending him underwear Shawn would have figured out she gained 30 pounds.  

She really did lucky.  She looks like a troll.  Even when she is dressed up for her ITMs she looks like trash.  And as someone else pointed out, she looks around Shawn's age. 

I think Chandra (tyrices girlfriend) looks beautiful in her ITMs.  

True...but maybe they were her girlfriend's undies!

She's making Lizzy seem downright wholesome.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

But how do you really feel?

I can have my opinion like you can lol no one is off limits on reality tv. I’m sorry if that hurts peoples feelings. 

Shavel is a nice single mom looking for love just like Lacey is. The posters have not been kind about this single mom smh. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ErikaOnline said:

Lindsay is just like Lacey

Maybe it's just me, but we've seen only a few minutes of Lindsey's talking heads so far. Other than a few seconds on the phone with Scott, we haven't seen her actually interacting with anybody in real life, so how would we know she's 'like Lacey'?

1 hour ago, ErikaOnline said:

I can have my opinion like you can lol no one is off limits on reality tv. I’m sorry if that hurts peoples feelings. 

Shavel is a nice single mom looking for love just like Lacey is. The posters have not been kind about this single mom smh. 

No that is a cliche line when someone is candid not a criticism.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

No that is a cliche line when someone is candid not a criticism.

What do you mean? everyone can talk about all of the characters. I don’t understand why certain people on this show are painted as victims and then you guys attack other people on the show hmmm. 

5 minutes ago, ErikaOnline said:

What do you mean? everyone can talk about all of the characters. I don’t understand why certain people on this show are painted as victims and then you guys attack other people on the show hmmm. 

Again, I was not criticizing you.  

An ironic use, as a reaction to a strong opinion:

"I hate him, I never want to see him again, and I hope he catches a terrible disease!"

"But tell us what you really think about him, Sally."

• Love 10

Lindsay is obvious. She’s using that man that lost his son and her grandma to take care of her child. She is definitely like Lacey. But posters are picking on Shavel. Megan was on the other season. They are nothing alike haha. 

Personally I see no victims on this show.  There are fools.  There are users.  But there are no victims since anyone being victimized is choosing to participate in it through their own behaviors.  For example, Shawn was so hot for Destinie based on her clearly old photo and letters that he is spending $$$$ on her.  Same goes for Scott and his obsession with Lindsey, or Tyrice with Chanda.  They want the young thing and are making poor choices based on that desire. 

Lindsey is using Scott for money some of which goes toward her daughter.  Destinie is using Shawn to have a place to land. Not sure about Chanda yet in terms of future actions, but she had no problem taking $$$ from Tyrice. As she stated, it easier on the inside if you have someone on the outside looking after you.  These are transactional relationships that the non-cons hope are more than that.  Only time will tell if that is possible. 

To me, Shavel is just misguided in her expectations that Quaylon is ready to jump into a father role for her daughter.  We've seen this before where the outside folks decide that folks coming right out of prison will want to settle into domesticity rather than picking life up where they left off and figuring out their best path forward.  Jessica is doing the same thing with Maurice, only in Jessica's case there is no child as of yet and she seems to want to be the center of his world.  It is easier to feel like that when the person is in prison and does not have as many other options.  Both Maurice and Quaylon need time to figure out how they move forward from here. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, ErikaOnline said:

Lindsay is obvious. She’s using that man that lost his son and her grandma to take care of her child. She is definitely like Lacey. But posters are picking on Shavel. Megan was on the other season. They are nothing alike haha. 

Megan was all dickmatized by Murgh who was playing multiple women.  Shavel is looking for a father for her child.  They are very different to me.  Both being young, black women does not make them the same at all.

Quaylon in not Murgh with his desires to spread his seed through the world, creating as many children as he can to prove his manhood/desirability.  So far, Quaylon seems like one of the more level-headed folks on this show.  While he may have overstated his case to Shavel when he was incarcerated, he seems to be taking a more reasoned approach now that he's out.  

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ErikaOnline said:

The poster was just being facetious, joking.

I don’t think anyone here likes anyone on the show.  I don’t see favorites because they are all gross and pathetic, in their own way.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ErikaOnline said:

I dont think it was a critique either.  We do all give our opinions but you gave a pretty funny and snarky one liner and that's the type of person I'd say that to. 

While Lindsay hasnt said a lot, what she has said, or at least what I infer she said through Scott makes me think that she isn't a great person.  Most specifically, I think she has painted herself as some pretty white girl whose only crime is being so pretty that all the minority girls are picking on her.  She isn't at fault for anything...her mom seems to know the score. 

Taking advantage of a sucker doesn't bother me as much, but that did.  

• Love 3
On 8/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, KateHearts said:

will Tyrice's love of a bubble butt be enough to sustain their love for eternity?

Tyrice is taking no chances.  The tag is still on the sleeve of his technicolor blue suit, and the new car papers are still pasted to the rear window of his SUV.  There should be no problem if he wants to return either or both should things not work out.  Hell, the car might be just on a prolonged test drive.

• LOL 2
On 8/24/2020 at 8:16 PM, RealReality said:

I dont think it was a critique either.  We do all give our opinions but you gave a pretty funny and snarky one liner and that's the type of person I'd say that to. 

While Lindsay hasnt said a lot, what she has said, or at least what I infer she said through Scott makes me think that she isn't a great person.  Most specifically, I think she has painted herself as some pretty white girl whose only crime is being so pretty that all the minority girls are picking on her.  She isn't at fault for anything...her mom seems to know the score. 

Taking advantage of a sucker doesn't bother me as much, but that did.  

What does her race have to do with anything? I’m sure other Caucasian girls pick on Lindsay too hahaha 

On 8/24/2020 at 7:05 AM, ErikaOnline said:

I honestly thought Jessica was the one in prison when they showed the previews for this season lol no lie. She looks like she does drugs but her body says otherwise imo haha.

lol I grew up in drug infested nyc 1980’s, and skinny to us was part of telling if someone is on drugs. Not so. In my time I have known some chunky addicts. Not all drugs make u skinny. 

personally I think she’s just stupid and entitled. 

• Love 2
On 8/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, ErikaOnline said:

What does her race have to do with anything? I’m sure other Caucasian girls pick on Lindsay too hahaha 

I agree.  I would bet people of all races and ethnicities risk massive eye strain from the eye rolling they do when dealing with Lindsay, not to mention possible broken bones in their hands from clenching their fists so hard.  Scott somehow decided the other women were jealous because she is "pretty" and "white"; yes, he included her race as important.  He really has bought a truckload of BS from her.  He would be smart to listen to her parental figure and not her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1