Type keyword(s) to search

PLL Clothing: What The Hell Is She Wearing!?

I'm sure Sasha is not as thin as she was at 14 (who is?) but her outfits this season have all been very unflattering.

There should be a show rule that no one gets to wear costuming that is uglier or less flattering than Aria's, A's hoodie excepted.  In fact, they kind of stated that in the last episode, when Ella showed Aria her new sequined miniskirt and asked Aria, "Would you wear this?"  And Aria says, "Yes, which is why you shouldn't."  Of course this was directed at Ella, but not a bad rule for the town of Rosewood as a whole.

This x 100. At least Aria has the excuse of being quirky/artsy.

If not, I'm wondering about the wardrobe team, and why they are getting away with such horrid outfits for Ali.  Wardrobe should never be responsible for making an actress look pregnant when she or her character are not.  That seems a pretty basic styling guideline to me.  Where is Tim Gunn when you need him?

Remember back when some videos and interviews were released with the show's stylist where she talked about how she does her thing and that she puts a lot of thought on each of the girls' outfits and she sort of struggled with Paige for a while and MK sometimes has to reel her in from going to out there (!!!!). I really hope we get one of those commenting on Alison's style at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she comes clean about struggling with getting an older Alison's personality and the concept of having Alison wearing her Mom's clothes (which she's totally doing) was a miss.

I think Grunge Hanna is adorable. Though I am starting to find it funny that it all started because she wanted to separate herself from Ali when Ali is now dressed like a real estate agent with bad taste.

Spencer is still my favorite dresser though. I just LOVE her crazy themed outfits. Ali is now my least favorite because at least Aria's clothes are amusing. lol

I don't mind the grunge, in and of itself, but it doesn't feel like how Hanna Marin would do grunge. She's not owning it. It seems more of her idea of what a grunge person would wear/behave rather than making it part of her own personal style.

The whole shift in style for Hanna makes no sense because it doesn't resonate with who Hanna was pre-Mona makeover. Of course, everyone's style evolves overtime. However, to me it seems like no one knew how to give Hanna a different style so they put styles in a hat and grunge was the winner.

• Love 3

Scarletregina, I couldn't agree more that the grounge look just doesn't feel true to Hanna. Going from "It Girl" to a grounge look was way too overdramatic. Maybe she took some inspiration from Caleb's decidely hobo style and since she was feeling dark and twisty inside and so was he...

(The only character who I've see who has ever been able manage to make that type of extreme style change look seemingless was Jenny from Gossip girl and that's because the actress definitely owned it, down to the ugly raccoom make up and ever uglier extentions, unlike Hanna.)

Hefty!Hanna, from what I remember, had a casual sort of preppy style with lots of pastel colors in her palette. I think the fact that Spencer is the preppy girl (turned up to 11) made them afraid of going there with Hanna so they most likely decided to go for the approach of putting all styles in a hat a pull a random one.

I believe it would have been truer to Hanna's real style if the stylist had her stop putting so much effort in her outfits and started going for a more effortless and simple but still fashionable look. We've seen her on the show sometimes "clean faced" and dressed down, either loudging around her house with those of-the-shoulder loose fitting tops, hair in a messy ponytail, or even during that season 1 episode she got run by Mona where she had her hair straightened and was wearing a really confortable, casual look and she always looked very pretty. That's a style that would have felt more anti-alison to me than her squished into stuff that looks like a darker and less pretty and less flatetting version of what Hanna used to wear.

Or maybe that's what they're going for.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

I like grungy Hanna, partly because I like seeing one of the girls dress like a more normal high school student with casual clothes (Emily is the only one of the four who regularly dresses in outfits that don't have heels, short skirts, or something that looks like a costume).

• Love 1

I love it when Hanna does a little grunge or punk chic, but this full-on grunge is underwhelming, even if it's closer to what high schoolers wear.  Even in past seasons, Hanna often had a little edge to her ladylike looks, so I haven't found the tough clothes transition impossible to believe in theory. What I find hard to believe is that Hanna would pick out so many ugly clothes (starting with that hideous top she stole this season).  So I guess to buy this I have to read her wardrobe change as a sign of rebellion and desire to distinguish herself from Ali (remember the funeral home director who commented on them looking alike), as well as a sign of the ugliness of Hanna's feelings, which certainly were compounded by the horrid Zach encounters.    

What were those horrible white thigh socks Emily was wearing? It looked like something from a Britney Spears video in the late 90's and that's not a good thing.

And Paige looked like a reject from a 1980's teen movie with that black dress and super big hot rolled hair.

• Love 1

What were those horrible white thigh socks Emily was wearing? It looked like something from a Britney Spears video in the late 90's and that's not a good thing.

Don't forget the weird multi-colored keyhole top, the short skirt, and the giant shirt tied around her waist. I turned to my friend and asked if Jenna had helped Emily get dressed that morning.

• Love 2

I thought Paige-on-a-date looked so, so weird. Then realized people were doing a bit of a classic look (Aria missed that opportunity, thankfully), so maybe that explains it.

Spencer curling up with those boots at the bar was my favorite moment of the episode.

Bringing over my thoughts from the episode thread:

What happened to Emiily? She is usually the most casually dressed but tonight she was wearing a tight dress with a keyhole neckline, thigh high white athletic socks with stripes at the top, a sweatshirt tied around her waist, and a leather jacket.

Aria, as usual, did not disappoint in the wardrobe department. A t-shirt with mountain lions and shredded sleeves and a black leather skirt with lightning bolts? And her jean jacket had some sort of tiger print on the back too. Yup, that's just another Tuesday for Aria.

Caleb was wearing a striped shirt with a plaid flannel. I know he's all traumatized and being an alcoholic, but come on, Caleb.

I didn't get that it was dress up night at the movies either, and was all weirded out at first by Paige's dated prom hair and dress at the coffee shop.  Then, when Aria walked into the theater I thought, this is one of the cuter outfits I've seen her in lately.  I was digging the dress, if not the leopard belt with leopard scarf, but then I freaked when I saw her ruffled bobby socks.  I was like, nice sexed-up school girl look for family night, Aria.  And then I realized everyone was going retro and I laughed because I sort of liked Aria in costume better than Aria in her regular clothes, but also because I had been unable to tell the difference.  Yes, Mike did look very handsome in his suspenders, but I'm not sure how old he is, so I haven't decided yet that he's old enough for me to rate him as "smoking."  Mona's pants on the other hand, were hot as hell on her.  

Oh, Emily!  I was as baffled as everyone else.  I thought the cutout neckline dress and leather jacket she was wearing actually were quite chic.  The crazy knee highs took the ensemble down a notch (they look like something Aria would wear--as thigh highs), and that denim shirt tied sloppily around her waist derailed everything.  The pressing question is: why???

Sad that an animal probably died for Aria's superhero lightning leather flounce skirt.  I'll just hope it was pleather.  

Edited by M1977G

that denim shirt tied sloppily around her waist derailed everything. The pressing question is: why???

That shirt tied around the waist thing reminds me of middle school when girls first got their periods and were so afraid they would have blood on the back of their pants that they tied shirts around their waists. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the motivation behind Emily's look but I'm still really perplexed as to why she had that shirt around her waist all day PLUS a jacket.

• Love 1

Yeah, I was seriously freaked out by Aria's shoes until I realized it was supposed to be a costume. I stopped wearing those by the time I was 8.

Usually all I can compute with both Emily's and Hanna's current style is that it looks like a great pile of tight fabric in earthy tones with more leather and cut outs that I'd be comfortable with but that Emily usually pulls it off but not tonight. I'll echoe everyone when it comes to that fuggly shirt wrapped around her waist.

Spencer once again looked gorgeous. I coveted both her dresses but especially the first one:

tumblr_nal3zmlN9S1t3zlb4o1_500.png

tumblr_nal8x0AgHy1t3zlb4o1_500.png

Mona also looked amazing. I want that top:

tumblr_n7sf2x0X9e1t3zlb4o1_500.png

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

I feel the same about Ashley Benson: she looks good in everything. Shay Mitchell too, but I think Emily's style is more casual and I don't really notice it - just her hair which is often straight out of commercials, even when she got glass in it and/or is busy being in danger.

• Love 3

There's this picture of Shay Mitchell at a gas station. Her hair looks just as perfect. She's in sweats and is completely casual otherwise, but her face/hair...she looked like she was modeling. 

All of these dresses are straight-up hideous!! WHy do they put them in this junk. You could tell they could not run AT ALL. Like that is not how one looks running for their life...

Edited by hqtextbook

All of these dresses are straight-up hideous!! WHy do they put them in this junk. You could tell they could not run AT ALL. Like that is not how one looks running for their life...

I was legit yelling at the TV to take off their high heels.

• Love 4

I was marveling that Hanna didn't have a "wardrobe malfunction" when running in that dress.  She looked like it could barely contain her chest even when she was standing still.  I guess we didn't see that her dress box contained 4 rolls of doublesided tape.

Aria's cowl made her look like a vampire.

On the plus side, Emily's dress shows off her legs nicely.

• Love 6

Aria's cowl made her look like a vampire.

On the plus side, Emily's dress shows off her legs nicely.

I'm still holding hope for an Aria/Bill Compton crossover-spinoff.

Also, I love how Emily's dress are always about boobs (remember that crazy ass victorian dress in Ravenswood?)

• Love 1

Given that at least this time in th context of the show, the dresses were supplied by A, i have no problem with them being hideous!

In a weird way I like Aria's dress. I would not wear it, but it's kind of cool... I agree with everyone about Hanna's dress. Spencer's looked like something Aria might wear. Mona looked like a Barbie doll, I can't picture Alison wearing that dress. Emily is all about the boobs, but she is pretty.

• Love 1

In a weird way I like Aria's dress. I would not wear it, but it's kind of cool... I agree with everyone about Hanna's dress. Spencer's looked like something Aria might wear. Mona looked like a Barbie doll, I can't picture Alison wearing that dress. Emily is all about the boobs, but she is pretty.

I know, right? I thought she looked gorgeous in that dress, could not see where all the bashing was coming from... Shay Mitchell would look good in a potato sack! 

• Love 1

I know, right? I thought she looked gorgeous in that dress, could not see where all the bashing was coming from... Shay Mitchell would look good in a potato sack!

So true, I don't think she has ever looked bad in anything.

• Love 2