Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Fight, Pray, Love

• Start Topic

On 8/11/2020 at 2:39 AM, Quof said:

FFS, baby Dracula's legs are 2 feet long. None of the adults could outrun her?  

And she is still in diapers? 

My two year old niece did the exact same thing to me. I put her down at her skirming request and she took off. Ran to a neighbor’s and tried to go into their house. She didn’t know them and had never interacted with them. But the point is I couldn’t catch and I ran a 5K three times a week, uphill halfway.

18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Tijuana is actually 60 miles up the road.  I looked up the exact location of the resort because it looks like a place that might be nice to visit.  IF we ever get to leave home again.

not familiar with hotel, assumed it was in Rosarito or bajamar.  still wouldn't put my foot in the water....although raw  sewage knows no borders and just as easily flows up to the the US.  it is truly disgusting, and everyone tries to ignore it. 

36 minutes ago, 2dogmom said:

not familiar with hotel, assumed it was in Rosarito or bajamar.  still wouldn't put my foot in the water....although raw  sewage knows no borders and just as easily flows up to the the US.  it is truly disgusting, and everyone tries to ignore it. 

My philosophy of life is "I don't get in bodies of water where fish (or humans might) pee."  In other words, no natural bodies of water, no swimming pools, no open-to-everyone hot tubs."

Here's the hotel.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, RealReality said:

This is an interesting perspective I had never thought of.  I had never considered that it might be a slap in the face to jihoon's parents.  

I jihoons parents enable him, but at this point it is what it is.  They have raised a son who is great at apologizing and taking blame but pretty piss poor at taking action.  

Even his friends seem to think jihoons behavior is unacceptable.  

What interests me is when jihoons mom said that in Korean culture, women are expected to form their men into good providers or something along those lines.  

Is there anyone familiar with Korean culture who can speak on this?  Is it expected for Korean men to stretch the truth to impress a woman they like?  Do women have to assume that they are getting half truths?  And upon marriage do Korean wives then work (hen peck) their men into successful careers?  

Jihoons mom seems to wear all the pants in that family and so I'm wondering if maybe that's just how it works. 

Not Korean, but Asian (Vietnamese).  My son was engaged to a young woman from Vietnam who bossed him around mercilessly.  Some of it I approved of ("John!  Help your mother!") and some not so much, like when she ordered him around in front of people who were strangers to her.  I guess, in her eyes, I was a failure as a mom, but the disapproval of his friends about how she talked to him in public was a big reason for their breakup.

And I agree about the depth of Jihoon's well of apologies but his inability or refusal to change his behavior to rectify the situation he's apologizing for.  Given that it may be very, very difficult for him to find work, he ought be be at least spending  8 hours a day looking for one.

I don't understand about the $30,000.  Wasn't that money his parents loaned him to pay off his credit debt or something?  How in the hell did he accumulate $30,000?

• Useful 2
31 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Given that it may be very, very difficult for him to find work, he ought be be at least spending  8 hours a day looking for one.

"If you're not spending 8 hours a day at a job because you're unemployed, your job is to spend 8 hours a day looking for one."  Dr. Phil

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Not Korean, but Asian (Vietnamese).  My son was engaged to a young woman from Vietnam who bossed him around mercilessly.  Some of it I approved of ("John!  Help your mother!") and some not so much, like when she ordered him around in front of people who were strangers to her.  I guess, in her eyes, I was a failure as a mom, but the disapproval of his friends about how she talked to him in public was a big reason for their breakup.

And I agree about the depth of Jihoon's well of apologies but his inability or refusal to change his behavior to rectify the situation he's apologizing for.  Given that it may be very, very difficult for him to find work, he ought be be at least spending  8 hours a day looking for one.

I don't understand about the $30,000.  Wasn't that money his parents loaned him to pay off his credit debt or something?  How in the hell did he accumulate $30,000?

Gosh, I sure hope she didn't think that.  Your son sounds like he was really patient, cause I might have snapped.  

I don't go for the idea of publicly shaming anyone.  It also sounds miserable to be ordered around and to order around another human adult.    

But I kinda felt daya, from the philipines, was the same way with Brett.  I wonder if there is a cultural connection?  

I'm also deeply confused about the $30k.  I thought he borrowed it from his parents....so is he on some sort of payment plan where he like gives his mom some of his money to pay back the debt and has her save some of the money? 

Or did he only give his parents 3k, which was supposed to go towards the debt and when Devan started to complain mother jihoon just said it was money jihoon was saving for Devan and his family?  

To me, mother jihoon seems eager to foist her n'aer do well son onto someone else.  He is devans problem now!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"If you're not spending 8 hours a day at a job because you're unemployed, your job is to spend 8 hours a day looking for one."  Dr. Phil

as much as I hate dr phil, yeah, you should be trying

• Love 7

I have a theory about why everyone was crying at the end of the Deavan/Jihoon segment.  Could it be because Jihoon actually brought Drascilla back?  I know, I know.......

Thank you to those who don't think Brittany is a raving beauty.   Every time I see her speak, I remember the time when I was 9 and I put a popsicle stick inside my mouth sideways and tried to talk.  Between that and the constant use of "like" coupled with that irritating vocal fry, I have to fast forward thru their scenes (besides, they are boring and put me to sleep).  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I'm also deeply confused about the $30k.  I thought he borrowed it from his parents....so is he on some sort of payment plan where he like gives his mom some of his money to pay back the debt and has her save some of the money? 

Or did he only give his parents 3k, which was supposed to go towards the debt and when Devan started to complain mother jihoon just said it was money jihoon was saving for Devan and his family?  

To me, mother jihoon seems eager to foist her n'aer do well son onto someone else.  He is devans problem now!

I probably misheard.  It can't have been $30,000, could it?  It must've been $3000.

• Love 2

I think the story is that a few years ago when Jihoon got caught selling stolen phones and maybe even smuggling them to another country he had to pay a fine or restitution that was a large amount.  He paid some from his part time jobs and his parents lent him the rest.  So the last couple of years he was paying that off which is why he had no savings the last time she visited.  He just recently finished paying off the debt.  The 3000 he earned since paying off the debt he had his mom put in her account so he wouldn’t be tempted to waste it.  I think paying off his debts took longer than expected because he was not devoting all his salary to it but using some for going out and other frivolous things.  I think that’s the gist.  I’m not sure if he still owes his parents money or he has retired all debt.

3 hours ago, JDAlexander said:

I have a theory about why everyone was crying at the end of the Deavan/Jihoon segment.  Could it be because Jihoon actually brought Drascilla back?  I know, I know.......

Thank you to those who don't think Brittany is a raving beauty.   Every time I see her speak, I remember the time when I was 9 and I put a popsicle stick inside my mouth sideways and tried to talk.  Between that and the constant use of "like" coupled with that irritating vocal fry, I have to fast forward thru their scenes (besides, they are boring and put me to sleep).  

Yeah she has a mouth like that muppet Animal that plays the drums.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, JDAlexander said:

I wish this would let us o two reactions! Tried and it just erased the first one. "Like" AND "Laugh"!!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think paying off his debts took longer than expected because he was not devoting all his salary to it but using some for going out and other frivolous things.

Haircare.  Fashionable cut-and-dye jobs.  Nice wardrobe.  He doesn't deprive himself.

• Love 4
On 8/14/2020 at 1:04 AM, RealReality said:

She has full custody of one child (dad isn't involved) and joint custody with the father of the older child.  

I don't know if I can copy something her husband posted on another website, but among things he said were that she never sees the older child. He has full custody. Avery doesn't pay ordered child support.  She has never taken the child to a doctor's appointment...nor attended one with her.   She "disappeared" from that child's life 2014-2017 and couldn't remember what grade she was in.  NO IDEA if any of this was truly reported by the child's father...

• Useful 2
On 8/12/2020 at 1:56 AM, RealReality said:

I usually haaaate on camera proposals but I loved the one between Kenneth and armando.  

It was just so sweet.  I hope those two make it.  I just love Armando, Kenneth really got lucky.  

In other news, color me shocked that drascilla ran out into the street.  My nephew, who is around the same age, doesn't run into the street.  At what age do children stop doing this?

Brittneys lashes are ridiculous and I suspect she wore the hijab because she had to wash her wig. 

A typical 4 year old should not be running out into the street. That is typical of a 2 year old. 

I hate being an outlier, Kenneth and Armando are sweet but bordering corny. And the age difference is off putting, as with any other couple. ESPECIALLY since to me, Armando looks teenager-ish. Also, Kenneth LEERS a lot around Armando, which is a little icky because, again, Armando looks so young. 

Also, Im sick of Deavan and her self-righteous tear filled eyes. She will likely accumulate another child by a different man within 3 years, given her history.  

Im tired of Melyza. Why, in the world, does she announce to her parents about Tim cheating ? They will never forgive him, even if she does. Marital problems should not be vented to family members, ever. (unless there is abuse). Tim pleasantly surprised me. He looks like a blockhead but speaks Spanish nicely for an Iowa dude who calls himself Cheestick. 

If a partner cheats, the other person has 2 reasonable options. Dump him, or stay and forgive and continue. Both are hard options. Melysa is choosing to stay w him, but keep a perennial sour face at all times and be, overall, bitchy. Good times ahead. Im a little dumbfounded at this storyline, however. In many parts of the world, it is common for men to cheat on their wives and have sidechicks. Of course it is wrong on every level, and its not open, but I will take a wild guess that in Colombia, men would look at Tim's anguish and remorse over cheating on his (long distance girlfriend) and say he is a "p*ssy". 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 8

Okay, granted Jihoon isn't an example of ambition or responsibility but Devan....lgetting preggo by someone you knew from a dating app and spent one night with if I remember right is not responsible either. He could have been another Charles Manson for all you knew! Did her mom express any feelings on that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, AZChristian said:

Tijuana is actually 60 miles up the road.  I looked up the exact location of the resort because it looks like a place that might be nice to visit.  IF we ever get to leave home again.

I was going to ask for a link to the resort, but I see you posted it up thread a bit.  😉

Edited by Persnickety1
3 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Do you have a link you can share about the resort, @AZChristian?  

I think their little apartment is adorable and I'd love to learn more about the resort.  

Grazi!  ❤️ 

This is a link to the resort.  I think it's about an hour from their apartment.

We know people in our age group (70s) who have retired to that coast of Mexico.  There are several VERY nice condominium communities that cater to ex-pats.  The cost of living is much lower.  It's not something I would do, though.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
Just now, AZChristian said:

This is a link to the resort.  I think it's about an hour from their apartment.

We know people in our age group (70s) who have retired to that coast of Mexico.  There are several VERY nice condominium communities that cater to ex-pats.  The cost of living is much lower.  It's not something I would do, though.  

My ex-sister-in-law and her husband did this when they retired.  They lived about 9 months out of the year in a beautiful condo in Mexico and 3 months out of the year in the La Jolla area.  They had researched it and discovered they could get a lot more bang for their retirement bucks in Mexico.  

Do you perchance know anything about the apartment complex in which Kenny and Armando are residing?  Mini Persnickety and I love their little place.  I wouldn't mind renting a place in Mexico for a month or so every year, especially one with that view.  

Then again, I'm so tired of playing musical chairs with quarantine in California, I'd probably be open to spending a month in Antarctica just for a change in scenery.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Do you perchance know anything about the apartment complex in which Kenny and Armando are residing?  Mini Persnickety and I love their little place.  I wouldn't mind renting a place in Mexico for a month or so every year, especially one with that view.  

Then again, I'm so tired of playing musical chairs with quarantine in California, I'd probably be open to spending a month in Antarctica just for a change in scenery.  

If you check out sites like VRBO or HomeAway, you'll see lots of options.  I just googled one on VRBO that took my breath away.  Some are priced for shorter stays, but some do have discounts for a month or more.

This "musical chairs" thing is definitely getting ridiculous.  Arizona was a hot spot until the governor tightened up restrictions again.  Now we're doing great, but instead of maintaining the tight hold, he's going to release some restrictions again.  I can just see our numbers starting to climb back up when that happens.

Sigh.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, JDAlexander said:

Well, come sit by me.  

Without the wigs and the Geoffrey the Giraffe eyelashes, I think she would be a total man face, especially while wearing a jihab.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
On 8/11/2020 at 9:30 AM, MrBuhBye said:

The story was that Jihoon was supposed to get them an apartment but he procrastinated so she rented the first place sight unseen for a month to give him time to find a permanent place. But then she moved to a hotel because she didn’t like the place she had rented.  He found this place for a month until they can find a permanent place. This place is likely too big and too nice for permanent rental and is probably an Air BnB that is not available for lengthy periods.  What I wonder is if he turned all of his money over to Deavan last episode how did he rent this apartment?

So at least as I understand it the vast majority of apartments in South Korea are rented using a practice called Jeonse or "Key money", basically it's a truly massive deposit often secured by a bank loan based on the total value of the property you are renting. There are places that will rent using systems closer to what we use in the US but it is most common for those properties to be rented to foreign nationals and they still require quite onerous deposits and again, focused on properties rented by foreign nationals (i.e. executives pulling down big salaries).

Maybe things have changed some but some quick googling tells me that is still the prevailing rental system in South Korea. Deavan is an idiot if she thinks Jihoon is going to be able to come up with a large western style apartment. Well, I mean an idiot overall but even most idiots can Google how to rent an apartment in South Korea.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, Persnickety1 said:

My ex-sister-in-law and her husband did this when they retired.  They lived about 9 months out of the year in a beautiful condo in Mexico and 3 months out of the year in the La Jolla area.  They had researched it and discovered they could get a lot more bang for their retirement bucks in Mexico.  

Funnily enough completely unrelated to the episode because my husband hasn't seen it yet, we were just talking the other day about refinancing our house that he bought for a song pre-gentrification, getting it paid off by 55, spending the next ten years plowing money into savings and retiring in Mexico overlooking the ocean.

I think some of this discussion of homosexuality in Mexico is so funny because gay men of comfortable but not extravagant means retiring to Mexico is EXTREMELY COMMON. I seriously doubt this is some crazy leap of faith that Kenny is making just because of Armando,  he's probably been planning this for YEARS and knows other gay expats already living there. Maybe his timeline changed because of Armando but what he is doing is not trailblazing homosexuality.

Edited by John M
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 8/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, Ms. Me said:

It makes me sick that after Kenny and Armando became engaged, the young women waiting to congratulate the couple shot what appeared to be plastic glitter/confetti into the air.  They threw plastic garbage on the ground that will be washed into the ocean.   Not the best way to celebrate the happy occasion. Was it plastic? That’s what it looked like. 

Maybe it wasn't plastic, but was colored rice paper, which disintegrates quickly into rice water? Not sure, but I do know that this is what cab be used instead of plastic. Sure hope it wasn't plastic!! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Devan is a piss-poor parent. “Free range” Drascilla is a total brat!!!!  The kid should have been disciplined years ago. Devan keeps calling Drascilla “the baby”—for heaven’s sake that kid is 5 years old!!!!!!  I’ve raised 3 children without ever needing to spank them!!  They were taught from a very young age that there are rules to be followed and they needed to be respectful, obedient and honest. So when Devan allowed Drascilla to run around, screaming and sit on the kitchen counter in the house Devan rented in Vegas when Jihoon and his parents flew in for a visit, that brat should have been yanked off the counter instead of letting her put her dirty paws in the food that was being prepared!!!!  And then later Devan expected her “baby” to sleep in the same bed with her and Jihoon that night, I was screaming at the TV in disbelief!!!!!!  Jihoon looked totally confused. Devan keeps throwing that kid at Jihoon but he is NOT her father and she expects him to act like he is!  I don’t think I’ve ever seen Devan “downer” smile. She’s got a sour puss all the time!!!!!!!  And now, Jihoon is accused of “vile” things toward Drascilla!  Well if you saw the part when he was babysitting the 2 kids while Devan and her mom went out, then you saw how Drascilla was hitting and punching Jihoon and he kept telling her to stop but she didn’t!  If he yelled at her, put her in the corner, or popped her on the butt, Devan calls that “vile” and “abusive”!!!  Why doesn’t she discipline that kid???!!!!!!!  If she’s not disciplined now Drascilla will grow up as an entitled brat!!!!!!!  Jihoon dodged a bullet here but it’s sad he’s missing his son.                         Then the Brittney/Yazan story line is disgusting!  She knows they have absolutely NOTHING in common but she’s looking to get famous on this show! Shame on her!!!                 Tim and Myliza are BORING!!!!  They’re not gonna last and everybody knows it!!!!!!               I like Kenny and Armando but it feels like Kenny isn’t very sympathetic to Armando’s family’s feelings. Kenny has been “out” since 1988. Give Armando a chance to catch up!!!!!!!

• Love 2
On 9/25/2020 at 8:09 PM, Mona Cooper said:

Devan keeps calling Drascilla “the baby”—for heaven’s sake that kid is 5 years old!!!!!!

My sister-in-law still calls her son "the baby," and he's 22.