Type keyword(s) to search

Doubling Down With The Derricos - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Diez had his surgery and is doing well.  His eyes were swollen shut at first, but returned to normal after a couple of days.  The family came back to their home in Las Vegas and the kids were thrilled with the refurbishments that were done while they were away.  They were especially excited about their new bunk beds.  

• Love 4

My heart broke when they showed little Diez after surgery, with those swollen, swollen eyes. And then my heart swelled when he went back to the rental and was sweetly greeted by his siblings. To see him smile when he recognized them.  Oh so wonderful. 

I was bothered by seeing the children start making up a song to record to put in the bear for Diez. The quints were talking about who would do what, one of the quint girls said she would be the DJ, and then Denver raced over and declared that he would be the DJ and who else would do what. I hope that quint girl (I’m sorry I don’t know her name) learns to stand up and speak up and not let others speak over her and take control. 

• Love 7

My heart hurt for Diez to see him so swollen, but thankfully towards the end of the episode it was almost gone. It took Lee 10 days to paint, put in carpet and furniture? I am glad the kids loved the bunk beds. Where is that poor dog? He has been MIA since episode 2

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Diez had his surgery and is doing well.  His eyes were swollen shut at first, but returned to normal after a couple of days.  The family came back to their home in Las Vegas and the kids were thrilled with the refurbishments that were done while they were away.  They were especially excited about their new bunk beds.  

I was glad to see the surgery went well and Diez seems to be making a good recovery.  However, I was shocked to see that they let him climb up the ladder on the bunk bed when they got home.

Also, I wonder what their sleeping arrangements were before if this is such a big improvement.  It looked to me like the bottom bunks were shared by two kids, and then there were several other beds (mattresses?) on the floor next to the bunk beds?  How many kids are sleeping in this room?   I really hope the oldest daughter doesn't have to sleep in there...

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, jabinlbc said:

I was shocked to see that they let him climb up the ladder on the bunk bed when they got home.

Yeah, I cringed when I saw that, especially as there were two or three energetic kids up there with him, right within bumping distance.  

• Love 5
(edited)

The mattresses “on the floor” looked to be trundle beds, real beds, which can be pushed under the lower bunks when not in use. 

Edited by SDVegas
Messed up a quote
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Say what you will about the parents, but I commend them on raising kind, compassionate, caring and loving children.  You can't fake that. I loved when Poppy had each sibling greet Diez and let him touch their faces and heads.

• Love 12
On 7/21/2021 at 2:28 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Where is that poor dog? He has been MIA since episode 2

No idea where he was during filming, but I'm almost positive I've seen him on Deon's IG stories recently, so he's still around.

• Love 5

The kids did a cute presentation for Black History Month.  The oldest daughter Darian had her first date with a boy (an old friend of Darian's)--supervised by Dad & Gigi, so it wasn't really a date--more like two friends getting together who hadn't seen each other since before Covid.  Diez continues to do well from his surgery; however, Dad & Karen are concerned that he's not eating like he did before and there are bumps on his head.  They had a video conference with one of the doctors and will fly to an in-person appointment so Diez can be checked over.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed last night's episode...it was very emotional for me. I usually can't stand Dad Derrico, constantly talking LOL, but I didn't mind last night. The children's Black History Month Presentation was everything and I wish I had thought of it when my children were young.   I understand more why Eric is with that family and his speech made me teary eyed.  I might have to not sip wine when watching these shows cuz I am taking things to a new level.  But what never changes is the fact that I adore those kids and I applaud their parents and the village that is helping them raise such nice, compassionate, loving, sweet and talented children.  

• Love 7
On 7/29/2021 at 6:30 AM, Jeanne222 said:

I think Poppy Derrico is full of s...!

Karen and Grandma Gigi are carrying the weight of this family! 

I cannot stand the father!!!  The Father is a selfish man who thinks the sun revolves around him!!!

I also have to agree that Karen and Gigi carry the family.

BUT Karen needs to stop having children cause;  The children are starting to have problems and How much more can Karen's body take.  If something happens to Karen I can see the father getting another wife Quickly!!!! 

• Love 9

Diez had his checkup with the doctor and all things are normal.  His head bumps will be gone in a year. 

To celebrate Karen's birthday, the dad took the family to the mountains in Utah to experience snow.  (I'm guessing this is a TLC-paid-for event so they are able to film the kids having fun in the snow.)  They stayed in a large lovely expensive-looking cabin with bunk beds for the kids.  Gigi didn't go since the elevation would have made her emphysema worse.  (I don't remember if we mentioned she has emphysema.  No wonder that she was out of breath running after the kids.)

Karen wants to start a clothing line, opening a factory in South Carolina  (I guess because she's not busy enough). 🙄  Her plan is to build a larger home in SC and they would live bi-coastally.

It really is a nutso idea when she has 14 kids.  The dad is very much against the idea and says they should wait five years.  Karen is pissed that he's not taking her idea seriously.  She wants to do it now and not wait five years. 

They showed the previews with Karen having stroke-like symptoms and being taken away in an ambulance.  My DVR cut off then, so I don't know if they showed more than that. 

eta:  I forgot to mention that the dog was briefly shown. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5

I guess the idea of running a clothing line seems easy to people on reality tv. They must believe you don’t need any experience in design, marketing or business to make a profit out of what you like to put on your children. 
I’m hoping this is a producer driven idea because it is so stupid. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

So tired of hearing them say deficate. Seriously when it comes to children and animals how many people use that term. 

I know, its just such a weird thing to say - why not use  like a term used for poop, shit, turds all sound better than that.

Yay, brief glimpse of the dog. That house in Utah was gorgeous, it seemed like they only stayed 2 nights, what a bummer   

Forgot to mention - the preview for next week seems scary with Karen, I really hope she didn't suffer a stroke, no way should she have more babies after something like that

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, Shelbie said:

I guess the idea of running a clothing line seems easy to people on reality tv. They must believe you don’t need any experience in design, marketing or business to make a profit out of what you like to put on your children. 

Plus there is already a ton of competition out there

• Love 3

Deon just posted some health news about GG on Twitter. I don't know what the rules are on here about spoilers or even if this would be considered spoiler. But if you have Twitter just search DerricoStrong.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Deon just posted some health news about GG on Twitter. I don't know what the rules are on here about spoilers or even if this would be considered spoiler. But if you have Twitter just search DerricoStrong.

Spoiler

I had read yesterday that she was in the hospital, but I didn't know what for.  Wow, triple bypass.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Shelbie said:

I haven't watched that episode just yet but the Bates girls are doing quite well with their Made in China shipments of womans clothing.  I wonder if that's what she wants to do.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Let me assure you that this is a conversation in Black households with little girls and their hair.  Adding to the fact that they are multiples, it would not surprise me that non-POC treat them like a personal petting zoo.  Hell, I am a grown woman with short 4C hair and I have to keep old ladies hands out of it!   We have to have our guard up because we don't want strangers touching us.  

Unfortunately, we are Black people living in a world where Anti-Blackness rules the roost.  We would like to assume the best in people, but sometimes there is no "best" in them.

And little black girls don’t want to touch a little white girls long straight hair. It’s harmless. 

• Love 1
On 8/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I haven't watched that episode just yet but the Bates girls are doing quite well with their Made in China shipments of womans clothing.  I wonder if that's what she wants to do.

As well as Danielle Busby and her twin sisters.  Seems to be a TLC thing (again).

But living bicoastally?  That airfare is going to start piling up as the kids grow...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

As well as Danielle Busby and her twin sisters.  Seems to be a TLC thing (again).

But living bicoastally?  That airfare is going to start piling up as the kids grow...

Danielle Busby sells clothing?

18 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Danielle Busby sells clothing?

Yes, they're cheapie T-shirts of drawings supposedly done by the little ones.    Then, the three sisters have a CADI or something like that that's Athleisure wear, for workouts. 

A lot of people on reality shows buy bulk clothing from the cheaper manufacturers in China, then resell on the internet for a huge markup to fans. 

The sellers can also have U.S. made by having their line constructed in a U.S. territory, where U.S. labor laws don't apply, so they get super cheap production costs, and still make a bundle.     

The Derricos wouldn't be the first to do this, and I'm sure won't be the last.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Forgot to mention - the preview for next week seems scary with Karen, I really hope she didn't suffer a stroke, no way should she have more babies after something like that

A popular Instagram homeschooling mom died suddenly last winter while pregnant with her 6th baby. Blood clot. She had had multiple c-sections. Your body can only take so much. Some people like Michelle Duggar get lucky and their body can take the strain, but others cannot. Karen is an idiot. Doctors must have told her this is dangerous to do to her body repeatedly. Especially after the strain of carrying quints and triplets. I read somewhere that you're not really supposed to have more than 3 c-sections. 

• Love 2

Deon went to a therapist to find out if he had OCD (obviously a producer-driven thing).  Her verdict was that he does not have OCD.

Gigi persuaded Darian to not jump at the first boy that likes her and wait until she finds a boy that she likes.  Gigi got pregnant at 15 and doesn't want the same thing to happen to Darian.

Karen's right side went limp during an interview, but she did not have a stroke.  It was a back spasm that caused temporary paralysis. 

Deon was so happy and grateful that she was OK, that he relented and agreed to move to South Carolina and be a bicoastal family.

Gigi is not happy that the family is moving.  She is adamant that she will not move.  She also said she may be married next year, so she apparently has a boyfriend.

The show ended with the family taking family photos.  This is the last show of the season.

• Love 3

I can't stand Poppy / Deon / Derrico / Derrick / Defecate or whatever his name is.  He is a terrible actor and it's obvious everything is always about him.  Something is seriously off with the parents.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  Why was Eric sleeping on the floor?  I was reading on Reddit the apparently he's married, yet it seems like he spends every waking moment with these people.  The whole arrangement seems so strange.  Poppy seemed to be beaming when him and Eric were alone in the snow holding hands looking for bears.  How stupid.  He looked like a total fool armed with his bear pepper spray.  That scene was cringe-worthy.  I cannot stand his fake crying/emotional testimonials to the camera. 

I'm not a doctor, but the whole stroke/back spasm thing was odd.  Does a back spasm render you barely able to speak?  Can a back spasm really paralyze one side of your body?  I also don't understand how the kids/GG/Eric were seemingly unaware that any of this happened.  How did they not notice the ambulance with flashing lights in front of the house, several paramedics inside, and Karen being wheeled out on a stretcher?  In the scene were Poppy was explaining to GG and Eric that his wife had maybe just had a STROKE! they both stood there with rather blank expressions and seemed to have no emotional response.  I would think news of that type would elicit a much different response than what we witnessed.  I wouldn’t put it past either of those two to fake the whole thing to further the storyline.  

Karen needs to pick up a dictionary and look up OCD, because she obviously doesn’t know the definition.  I am obviously not a Poppy fan, but I agree with him that the idea to move 14 kids across the country, buy acres of land, build a big new house, and opened a MANUFACTURING FACILITY! Is NOT a decision you make within 5 seconds!  The fact that he exercises control over the family’s decision making process is not a symptom of OCD!  Neither is wanting a clean house or a well decorated Christmas tree.  If they can’t afford a bigger house in Vegas, where are they getting the capital to buy all this imaginary land, build a new dream mansion, and buy all of the equipment and build/rent a manufacturing facility across the country?  I like Karen’s idea to manufacture in America, but there’s a reason most of that stuff is made offshore---American labor is not cheap! I think she is planning on using her cousins/siblings to do all the work and babysit her kids for next to nothing.  She also needs to look up the definition of bi-coastal.  Vegas Is hundreds of miles from the Pacific and doesn’t even border the ocean, and her hometown of Kingstree, SC isn’t near the Atlantic coast either. 

Lastly, I know it’s mean but I hate when the kids sing.  It’s virtually the exact same song every time with lyrics adjusted to fit the situation with the clapping.  There is no little Michael Jackson in this group because none of them seems particularly talented musically.  Something also irks me about small children talking about their mother being ‘lit’. 

Does anyone know if Derrico is GG's maiden name?  Last night I learned that Derrico didnt really have a relationship with his dad and I think he was born when GG was 15 and unmarried so I assume he did not take the father's last name.  Do they have Italian heritage?  

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 5

So next season is like Sister Wives, about the big move?   Or probably the house/land hunting, and failing to find anything.   I bet they could find something near Vegas, but in the burbs, and maybe older that could be remodeled. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Joan van Snark said:

I also don't understand how the kids/GG/Eric were seemingly unaware that any of this happened.  How did they not notice the ambulance with flashing lights in front of the house, several paramedics inside, and Karen being wheeled out on a stretcher? 

They weren’t home when it happened. They were at a studio somewhere filming their couch interview. 

41 minutes ago, magemaud said:

They weren’t home when it happened. They were at a studio somewhere filming their couch interview. 

It looked to me like the ambulance was in front of their house, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.  Regardless, unless it was a recreation scene being filmed, the response that GG and Eric had to the news of a possible stroke of a 41 yo mother of 14 seemed very off.  If I really thought my wife possibly had a stroke, I wouldn't be filming personal interviews and fake crying to the camera about it.  I don't even recall the Duggars doing stuff like that in the medical emergencies that have happened on that show.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 2

I don't watch regularly, but this is the way I saw it. They were at the studio for filming their couch interview when she had her episode and production stopped filming and called 911. Paramedics came and took Karen to the hospital but Derrick wasn't allowed to accompany her in the ambulance or go inside the hospital. Later, he was shown arriving home. One of the kids asked "Where's Mommy?" and he said she still had some "business to take care of" and shooed everyone upstairs so he could talk to GiGi and Eric. I've heard these scenes are often filmed several times so maybe that's why they didn't seem terribly surprised or upset when he told them the news. Karen was released from the hospital early enough that she got home before any of the children were awake. 

But, I don't watch regularly, so I was confused when he said he lost his "Mama" and brother to strokes. Was Mama what he called his grandmother? 

33 minutes ago, Joan van Snark said:

I wouldn't be filming personal interviews and fake crying to the camera about it. 

Again, I'm not a regular watcher, but it seems Derrick cries about SOMETHING every week, whether good news or bad. He's right up there with Darcey on 90 Days for crying scenes. 

• Love 2

I thoroughly enjoyed GiGi saying she had her own life and would not move with them. The parents seemed shocked that she wouldn’t be delighted to continue caring for their children.

I hope she sticks to her guns and doesn’t go.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

I thoroughly enjoyed GiGi saying she had her own life and would not move with them. The parents seemed shocked that she wouldn’t be delighted to continue caring for their children.

I hope she sticks to her guns and doesn’t go.

Yes, GG is the only one I really like on this show, although the fact she raised someone as suspect as Derrico tells me the more we see of her the less we might like her.

I believe "Mama" must have been his grandmother because he mentioned earlier a grandmother and brother suffering strokes.

I'll have to watch again to see if it looks like the ambulance was at the house or some studio somewhere.  I thought most of these shows filmed the "Talking Heads" in the participants actual homes but maybe that's not always the case.  I suppose there would be plenty of production facilities available in Las Vegas.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I can't stand Poppy / Deon / Derrico / Derrick / Defecate or whatever his name is.  He is a terrible actor and it's obvious everything is always about him.  Something is seriously off with the parents.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  Why was Eric sleeping on the floor?  I was reading on Reddit the apparently he's married, yet it seems like he spends every waking moment with these people.  The whole arrangement seems so strange.  Poppy seemed to be beaming when him and Eric were alone in the snow holding hands looking for bears.  How stupid.  He looked like a total fool armed with his bear pepper spray.  That scene was cringe-worthy.  I cannot stand his fake crying/emotional testimonials to the camera. 

I'm not a doctor, but the whole stroke/back spasm thing was odd.  Does a back spasm render you barely able to speak?  Can a back spasm really paralyze one side of your body?  I also don't understand how the kids/GG/Eric were seemingly unaware that any of this happened.  How did they not notice the ambulance with flashing lights in front of the house, several paramedics inside, and Karen being wheeled out on a stretcher?  In the scene were Poppy was explaining to GG and Eric that his wife had maybe just had a STROKE! they both stood there with rather blank expressions and seemed to have no emotional response.  I would think news of that type would elicit a much different response than what we witnessed.  I wouldn’t put it past either of those two to fake the whole thing to further the storyline.  

Karen needs to pick up a dictionary and look up OCD, because she obviously doesn’t know the definition.  I am obviously not a Poppy fan, but I agree with him that the idea to move 14 kids across the country, buy acres of land, build a big new house, and opened a MANUFACTURING FACILITY! Is NOT a decision you make within 5 seconds!  The fact that he exercises control over the family’s decision making process is not a symptom of OCD!  Neither is wanting a clean house or a well decorated Christmas tree.  If they can’t afford a bigger house in Vegas, where are they getting the capital to buy all this imaginary land, build a new dream mansion, and buy all of the equipment and build/rent a manufacturing facility across the country?  I like Karen’s idea to manufacture in America, but there’s a reason most of that stuff is made offshore---American labor is not cheap! I think she is planning on using her cousins/siblings to do all the work and babysit her kids for next to nothing.  She also needs to look up the definition of bi-coastal.  Vegas Is hundreds of miles from the Pacific and doesn’t even border the ocean, and her hometown of Kingstree, SC isn’t near the Atlantic coast either. 

Lastly, I know it’s mean but I hate when the kids sing.  It’s virtually the exact same song every time with lyrics adjusted to fit the situation with the clapping.  There is no little Michael Jackson in this group because none of them seems particularly talented musically.  Something also irks me about small children talking about their mother being ‘lit’.

I agree with everything you wrote.  I also think there is something very weird going on in that family.  I wonder if Eric and Deon have something on the DL going on?

To add to the mother being "lit", how do those young boys know a thing about the "club"?

I'm not believing the medical emergency and again, Deon is fake crying. 

• Love 5

Well I am glad Karen is ok and it wasn't a stroke, but give up on having more kids already. So she homeschools all the kids even pre-Covid? I can't imagine living in a house so crammed like that, and most certainly can't see the family being "bicoastal" at all, not flying 16 people back and forth all the time. It seems that Kingstree would be a much more affordable place to buy a bigger house. @Joan van Snark I totally agree about the kids singing, same tune, different lyrics. 

I do enjoy Gigi, and I would be super happy if she has a nice person in her life she is going to marry, she already raised her kids, she doesn't need to be raising her son's.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I thought most of these shows filmed the "Talking Heads" in the participants actual homes but maybe that's not always the case.  I suppose there would be plenty of production facilities available in Las Vegas.

I’ve never thought the THs were filmed in the subject’s homes. To me, they appear to be carefully decorated studio sets with professional lighting, sound and cameras. But I have wondered if they were filmed all at once. They seem to be careful to have them wear the same clothing and hairstyles, but Karen’s episode during filming makes me think they’re filmed throughout the season. 

I am glad Karen is okay. I am not a medical professional but damn did not know a muscle spasm could be that severe?!

They are saying she is only 41. All her body has been through has probably taken years off her life expectacy. And for her health and any future children I think she is at an age where she really needs to question more pregnancies.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, Joan van Snark said:

I'm not a doctor, but the whole stroke/back spasm thing was odd.  Does a back spasm render you barely able to speak?  Can a back spasm really paralyze one side of your body?  

I admit when I saw the ads I was wondering if she had an atypical migraine.  I had one once where the right side of my body went numb, but I could still read and walk.  It went away in about 15 minutes.  I got a CT and no signs of a stroke, but since I get migraines, that's what the diagnosis was.  It's never happened again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

I admit when I saw the ads I was wondering if she had an atypical migraine.  I had one once where the right side of my body went numb, but I could still read and walk.  It went away in about 15 minutes.  I got a CT and no signs of a stroke, but since I get migraines, that's what the diagnosis was.  It's never happened again.

That must have been very scary, glad it wasn't a stroke and that it has not happened again

• Love 4
On 8/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, Joan van Snark said:

If they can’t afford a bigger house in Vegas, where are they getting the capital to buy all this imaginary land, build a new dream mansion, and buy all of the equipment and build/rent a manufacturing facility across the country?  I

I'm willing to bet that in about 3 or 4 years we hear about them being busted for tax fraud.   And exhibit A will be the documents they submit for any real estate purchases.   Just like you  know who.   

• Love 3