Type keyword(s) to search

Doubling Down With The Derricos - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 7:

That certainly was scary.  All 4 adults had COVID-19, and only Dawsyn caught it out of the 14 children.  I can only imagine what would have happened had Karen gone down with symptoms like Deon. 

As for Darian going to camp, GG lives in Detroit. She would have stayed with GG and gotten a breather from being one of many children.  It's a shame that she didn't get to go. Damn pandemic.

At the end of episode 5, the Derricos were going to look for a bigger house.  I can imagine how tight things were with GG and Eric being forced to stay at the outbreak, then to give up a room to quarantine the sick. 

The children are so beautiful. I can give Deon the side eye, but he and Karen do a wonderful job raising their children.  I'm in for season 2 when it happens. I'll keep following them on the 'gram.   

• Love 6
On 9/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

I am especially interested in how they address the oldest daughter's request to go away for summer camp in Michigan which is 2,000 miles away from the family.

This is exactly why she wants to go.   It is too far to be recalled easily by her parents in an "emergency."   She is far enough away that she is just another 14 year old, not one of a herd of Derricos.   Do not underestimate this child's willingness to do whatever it takes to get away from being Junior Mom in the family because her parents chose to have too many kids to easily parent themselves.

• Love 9

I'd love to see the real living situation of the Derricos!  What we are seeing is Reality fantasy tv!

None of this is their real life!

Karen all dressed up with hair and nails!  Kids always ready for a glamour shoot!  Dad wearing chef clothing!

Naw...I'm not buying the Derricos!

• Love 12

I'm happy that GG,  Dawysn and Deon all survived COVID.  Poor Darian's plans were squashed due to Corona. I can understand why she chose a camp in Michigan, it's close to GG but far enough away that she can't be called upon for an emergency to be mom #2.

• Love 1

Did they ever say the camp was in Detroit, MI ? Michigan is a good sized state. so "close" to GG might not be all that close...Some parts of MI are actually closer to WI...

Another reason I mention there is a large well known prestigious arts (all arts) camp/school,  lnterlochen , which is 4 hrs northwest of Detroit .

image.png.4959cce08df560a37c99d2602b28884a.png

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Did they ever say the camp was in Detroit, MI ? Michigan is a good sized state. so "close" to GG might not be all that close...Some parts of MI are actually closer to WI...

Another reason I mention there is a large well known prestigious arts (all arts) camp/school,  lnterlochen , which is 4 hrs northwest of Detroit .

image.png.4959cce08df560a37c99d2602b28884a.png

The first time they mentioned it, Interlochen was my first thought. 

• Love 1
On 9/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Episode 7:

That certainly was scary.  All 4 adults had COVID-19, and only Dawsyn caught it out of the 14 children.  I can only imagine what would have happened had Karen gone down with symptoms like Deon. 

As for Darian going to camp, GG lives in Detroit. She would have stayed with GG and gotten a breather from being one of many children.  It's a shame that she didn't get to go. Damn pandemic.

At the end of episode 5, the Derricos were going to look for a bigger house.  I can imagine how tight things were with GG and Eric being forced to stay at the outbreak, then to give up a room to quarantine the sick. 

The children are so beautiful. I can give Deon the side eye, but he and Karen do a wonderful job raising their children.  I'm in for season 2 when it happens. I'll keep following them on the 'gram.   

I am right there with you.  Deon and Karen seem like they could be sketchy, but their kids are delightful and fun to watch.  

• Love 2
On 9/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, sATL said:

would be nice to know how the dad's real estate job fared during the shut-down.... I hadn't seen the man do any work...

Does he have a job other than real estate? Does he actually have a real estate license?

• Useful 2

I assumed that Darian's camp was going to be a day camp and that she'd live with GG, which would be a lot more affordable than sleep-away camp.

A 4-bedroom house for 16+ people sounds bananas. Most houses in Vegas do not have basements. I'd be surprised to hear that there's any hidden space for some extra beds. At least the kids can spend a lot of time outdoors most of the year.

Dawsyn is absolutely precious. Keep hanging on, Dawsyn!

• Love 1
On 9/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Anybody ever check to see if they even are living in that 'show' house?  It seems too clean, small and neat for all those people. 

I think they are living there since Deon owns 25% and his corporation owns 75% of that property.

4 beds/ 3 baths/ 3,084 sq ft

Edited by druzy
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, druzy said:

I think they are living there since Deon owns 25% and his corporation owns 75% of that property.

That’s a lot more square footage than we are seeing on the show. We only see kitchen, family room combo!

Thats kind of odd compared to the other families with kids shows where the tv seems to travel to every room!

I wonder why?  I think you give up your privacy when you take your family into reality tv. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, druzy said:

Where did you get the info on that? That house looks like any other tiny house in Vegas. I don’t see 3k sq ft. 

On 9/29/2020 at 10:31 AM, Jeanne222 said:

That’s a lot more square footage than we are seeing on the show. We only see kitchen, family room combo!

Thats kind of odd compared to the other families with kids shows where the tv seems to travel to every room!

I wonder why?  I think you give up your privacy when you take your family into reality tv. 

1ST FLOOR SQ. FT.: 1,548

2ND FLOOR SQ. FT.: 1,536

• Love 1
On 9/9/2020 at 8:33 AM, Boofish said:

Late to the hair conversation but let me just say it is very unfortunate but that is a lesson those babies need to learn early. As a black woman with a giant head of kinky curls I have had to tell people it is not ok to touch. It's pathetic that anyone would even think to touch a strangers hair. Boogles the mind every time it happens.

From the time I was 10 until 21, I had straight blonde hair to my waist. During school assemblies people would take turns braiding/finger brushing it, and I can't count how many would reach out and touch while commenting on it. It never bothered me, and only recently occurred to me (thanks covid) that maybe this behaviour wasn't cool.

I just watched Housewives of Johannesburg and they were adamant that one should never touch a black woman's hair. One woman explained that between wigs, pieces, extensions, etc it is poor form to potentially mess an important hair style. This really helped me understand further.

Edited by Chalby
Learned more
  • Love 4

Thoughts on this latest offering by TLC:

The kids are adorable. Too adorable. Also too clean, too coordinated in dress, too articulate to be real and too choreographed.

Also over-rehearsed.

But....cute!

The parents are over the top in the same ways. The drama is forced and shallow; too quickly solved, which makes me wonder if they're also fake. There's just something "off" about this bunch.

The house seems to be nothing more than a set. It doesn't appear that a family actually lives there.

I feel no need for another season.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Not Buyin It said:

Thoughts on this latest offering by TLC:

The kids are adorable. Too adorable. Also too clean, too coordinated in dress, too articulate to be real and too choreographed.

Also over-rehearsed.

But....cute!

The parents are over the top in the same ways. The drama is forced and shallow; too quickly solved, which makes me wonder if they're also fake. There's just something "off" about this bunch.

The house seems to be nothing more than a set. It doesn't appear that a family actually lives there.

I've continued to say something is off with this family!

• Love 7
On 10/4/2020 at 10:15 AM, Not Buyin It said:

is the season over?  I opted out after about 3 episodes.   I usually want these humongous families to just do a yearly follow-up, but I am not even sure I will remember them in a year.   Totally unrelated,  I cannot believe "Little People, Big World" is on for its millionth season.  Will they never go away?  Nevermind, it may have been a re-run, I didn't check the date.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2020 at 8:43 PM, Twopper said:

is the season over?  I opted out after about 3 episodes.   I usually want these humongous families to just do a yearly follow-up, but I am not even sure I will remember them in a year.   Totally unrelated,  I cannot believe "Little People, Big World" is on for its millionth season.  Will they never go away?  Nevermind, it may have been a re-run, I didn't check the date.

I had to ask myself the same question. 5 yr divorced couple, of past grown children, who both now own separate homes independently,  fighting over the marital house, that is full of hoards and needs repairs.

As for this show- I might pop in from time to time if they are renewed. The oldest daughter being treated worse than John-Boy Walton, breaks my heart.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2020 at 4:18 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Anybody hearing if the show has been renewed?  With Covid and filming almost impossible anything is possible. 

Deon and Karen have been posting on IG a bit more lately and they both keep saying "hopefully soon" when asked if the show is coming back. Not sure if that means they've already been filming or if they're hoping for renewal news soon, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, SilverLake0315 said:

Season 2 premieres June 1st!

I marked that useful so I will know to avoid it.  They are showing re-runs of it this morning so I figured it might be back.  and the Rollofs are back as well.  I may have to binge-watch Downton Abby again. 

• Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, SilverLake0315 said:

Season 2 premieres June 1st!

Oh no now all those kids will have to pretend they're happy!

Plus we'll be guessing it it's their real house or a rental like last time!

I will say with the network money they might have a real home now!

I wonder if they'll premier with her pregnant????

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 8/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, After7Only said:

I enjoyed the show.  I personally can’t judge anyone for choosing to have a large family especially if they can afford to do so.   Large families were once the norm, and people turned out fine.    The kids all looked happy and the parents appeared to be very engaged in the kids lives.  

If they could afford it they wouldn't be wh*ring their children out. And PLEASE stop dressing those children alike. Please let the girls and boys wear non-gendered clothing. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 4

I don't feel bad for the parents.   They chose this.   The kids, especially the oldest who is not a multiple and just wants O.U.T, yeah her I feel for.  She has no choice but to be a part of this and act like she is thrilled to sister mom her siblings.

• Love 13

The father is the one I don't like.  I think the mom was on board but after several multiples and the miscarriage I kind of feel sorry for her.  She's so very thin just the thought of her pregnant again......

I guess the husband's "OCD" is going to be a storyline this season. Isn't their son too old to reshape his head? Treatment is generally considered ineffective after age 1 because the skull has started to fuse together. I'm not finished watching the show so maybe they will come up with another treatment by the end of the show.

• Love 3

I can’t watch this again. After seeing the commercial with the father excitedly saying “I suspect WE’RE pregnant again (there’s no we since you don’t have a uterus, dumbass) and the mom saying a cutesie “ohhh no!” like shucks, more kids! When really they don’t need anymore. They already have the oldest daughter helping and their youngest had all those issues. If I recall, dad didn’t do shit when it came to childcare and mom was stressed. Plus I think they’re lying. There’s no way all those multiples were natural. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I can’t watch this again. After seeing the commercial with the father excitedly saying “I suspect WE’RE pregnant again (there’s no we since you don’t have a uterus, dumbass) and the mom saying a cutesie “ohhh no!” like shucks, more kids! When really they don’t need anymore. They already have the oldest daughter helping and their youngest had all those issues. If I recall, dad didn’t do shit when it came to childcare and mom was stressed. Plus I think they’re lying. There’s no way all those multiples were natural. 

At least his mother showed some level of disgust at the idea of another pregnancy.  

• Love 8

If she’s pregnant again then shame on both of them. They have more than enough children to raise. 

I wonder if they are on any kind of public assistance with that brood?

I keep hoping grandma will rescue the oldest daughter and take her home to live with her in ‘one of dads rentals’

He had to make a big shot remark about that!

• Love 6

Why did they wait so long to check on his head? The kid is 3, so I wont blame Covid. My god son had the same condition and he was not in the NICU at all, sometimes it just happens, he was maybe a little over  a year old and had the operation, sure it was scary for his mom, but he is doing great now at 23 years old 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Why did they wait so long to check on his head? The kid is 3, so I wont blame Covid. My god son had the same condition and he was not in the NICU at all, sometimes it just happens, he was maybe a little over  a year old and had the operation, sure it was scary for his mom, but he is doing great now at 23 years old 

The mom was very upset because she said they HAD asked about it before and kept being told there was nothing wrong with his head. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's obvious looking at that kid that something was wrong with his head shape.   I suspect this is all another storyline, and refuse to believe that any physician would look at him and say nothing was wrong.  

Spoiler

No, I don't believe they can get public assistance after a previous case about it.    After convictions for fraud, you don't ever get public assistance again.   Here's the citation to the case:

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5b6d86dd37e72f5c8a5fc8ce

I don't believe anything the parents say, and I don't even believe they're married to each other, or anything else they say.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, xls said:

that guy in the ice cream shop looks like he would have run over the kids to get to the ice cream🤣

Well, he did say how glad he was to have gotten there before they did! lol

• LOL 4
(edited)

The father is an a-hole and the mother is an idiot.  The poor lady looks tired and worn out  and here he is talking about having another kid.  What the eff is wrong with him?  While the kids look happy, they do not look healthy.  Plus, they have two that are going to  need surgery. I wish they would prioritize the kids that they have. I can’t help but wonder why Karen’s family aren’t around. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

This episode really made me angry.  Poor Gigi.  She's old and tired and they frivolously hand her another baby for her to help with.  And of course if the mom is put on bed rest for a couple of months like what happened before, who will be called on to help?  Gigi, of course.  I wish someone would tell them that the United States has a higher rate of mothers dying in childbirth than many other countries.  Each time she gives birth, she's risking something going wrong and leaving all those kids without a mother.  How selfish.  And on top of that, they have one child who still has issues and another about to have surgery. 

I wanted to throw up when the dad said he's raising a village.🤢 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

This episode really made me angry.  Poor Gigi.  She's old and tired and they frivolously hand her another baby for her to help with.  And of course if the mom is put on bed rest for a couple of months like what happened before, who will be called on to help?  Gigi, of course.  I wish someone would tell them that the United States has a higher rate of mothers dying in childbirth than many other countries.  Each time she gives birth, she's risking something going wrong and leaving all those kids without a mother.  How selfish.  And on top of that, they have one child who still has issues and another about to have surgery. 

I wanted to throw up when the dad said he's raising a village.🤢 

Another Jim Bob Dugger, doesn't care if he works his wife and mother to death as long as he keeps the babies popping out and the TLC  money rolling in!

• Love 10
(edited)

“Poppy” Derrico’s vocabulary is so pretentious. I’m all for using proper terms, but telling the children about the dog “defecating” in the house and smelling its “urine” and “feces” just sounds ridiculous. He refers to the children as “babies,” but uses adult terminology with them. And I hate how he refers to himself in the third person as “Poppy” 

And, I’m sorry, to me Koko looks like a junk yard dog 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 6

The stupidity and irresponsibility inherent in the fact Karen might be pregnant is astounding, and for the sake of her health and the health of any future babies, I sincerely hope this is just another TLC teaser.  Gigi put it best when she said that at this point, having more kids just feels like a "novelty."  And yes, I did laugh out loud when she asked Deon if he thought the possibility of Karen being pregnant again was 'cute."

• Love 7