Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Belly

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

I’m scared the father of Keyshawn’s baby is going to do something to her. Or kidnap the baby. He scares me. He’s already beating her up. 

Mercedes and Hailey should be interesting, but that guy with the hat is after Hailey, probably tracked her via those transfers.

IMO Mercedes should leave her daughter where she is. It seems she’s been given lots of opportunities to see her and spend time with her, but ripping the girl away from her primary caregiver AND the only home she’s ever known as a teen because Mercedes as regrets isn’t right. She should just work on guiding her and building a better relationship. 

Im a little confused- Clifford is very comfortable with who he is and isn’t in the closet by any means. So why is he scared to go on a date? He goes everywhere else he wants. 

• Love 2

I also wanted to add- Mercedes bio daughter is being raised by her step mom (wife to her bio Dad whos now deceased) not her aunt (my Mom assumed it was her aunt because of the age difference). Many a woman have loved and raised a child that was conceived in their husbands affair, but what’s striking me is that given the age gap Mercedes didn’t become pregnant by another teen boy but a GROWN ASS MAN with a wife. Preying on a TEENAGER (she may have not been over the age of consent at the time).

It seems like the woman is doing a good job raising the daughter, but to know your husband was a piece of shit like that, a TEENAGER.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I'm so here for Clifford and La'Marcus! 

On 8/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Im a little confused- Clifford is very comfortable with who he is and isn’t in the closet by any means. So why is he scared to go on a date? He goes everywhere else he wants. 

It seems folks might be more willing to turn a blind eye to someone cross dressing as opposed to actually flaunting a relationship as normal.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I'm so here for Clifford and La'Marcus! 

It seems folks might be more willing to turn a blind eye to someone cross dressing as opposed to actually flaunting a relationship as normal.

Oh okay thank you for explaining. I do think they are awesome though. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I also wanted to add- Mercedes bio daughter is being raised by her step mom (wife to her bio Dad whos now deceased) not her aunt (my Mom assumed it was her aunt because of the age difference). Many a woman have loved and raised a child that was conceived in their husbands affair, but what’s striking me is that given the age gap Mercedes didn’t become pregnant by another teen boy but a GROWN ASS MAN with a wife. Preying on a TEENAGER (she may have not been over the age of consent at the time).

It seems like the woman is doing a good job raising the daughter, but to know your husband was a piece of shit like that, a TEENAGER.  

I was trying to do the Math and it left me devastated. Mercedes is 25 now. Her daughter is about 12/13/14? So she was in the pre-teen to 13. That muthafucker needed his ass beat and should be buried under the jail. My heart hurts for her. That's why she's so tough on those girl. I bet you her Mom blamed her and not the grown ass Man!

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
Just now, shoetingstar said:

I was trying to do the Math and it left me devastated. Mercedes is 25 now. Her daughter is about 12/13/14? So she was in the pre-teen to 13. That muthafucker needed his ass beat and should be buried under the jail. My heart hurts for her. That's why she's so tough on those girl. I bet you her Mom blamed her and not the grown ass Man!

I thought Mercedes was 30???? 25??? 

Her daughter is 13/14yrs old, I assumed she was around 30. There I go assuming. 

No that mofo needed to be under the damn jail. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought Mercedes was 30???? 25??? 

Her daughter is 13/14yrs old, I assumed she was around 30. There I go assuming. 

No that mofo needed to be under the damn jail. 

I can't stand pedo predators! 30 is still awful. In the first conversation about her retirement she says 25 is the right age for strippers to retire. She's lived a lot of years with that mother of hers to deal with.

Edited by shoetingstar
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2020 at 9:43 PM, shoetingstar said:

I can't stand pedo predators! 30 is still awful. In the first conversation about her retirement she says 25 is the right age for strippers to retire. She's lived a lot of years with that mother of hers to deal with.

You’re right she did say that. Fuck man. I just thought it was theoretical, and that she was 16/17 when she had her daughter. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, Scarlett45 said:

This is actually the rule more than the exception. Teenagers who get pregnant are often impregnated by legally of age men between 3 and 10 years older than they are. It’s covered but it’s true. And the girl gets the blame, as usual. 
I’m loving the show. Some of the dialogue is poetic and reminds me in intent if not content of the high Victorian echoes of Shakespeare that was done so successfully in Deadwood. This seems to be the rap version of that in spots. 
The secrets that we’re following are true to life and that is what makes them compelling. The hypocritical, abusive mother who found “God” but can’t seem to find any compassion for her daughter. The women trapped in the life for various reasons. The men alternately sweet and brutal. I was so happy to read there is a Season 2 coming. 

• Love 2
On 12/4/2021 at 7:38 AM, AuntieMame said:

Some of the dialogue is poetic and reminds me in intent if not content of the high Victorian echoes of Shakespeare that was done so successfully in Deadwood. This seems to be the rap version of that in spots. 

Yes! I thought of Deadwood too. The language and dialogue on this show are so well done. I read this has been described as a "neon noir" but I also get strong southern gothic vibes. On the surface this seems like a straightforward show about life at a strip club, but once I started watching it I realized how layered the story is. There's incredibly moving subtext at work here.

I had so many emotions watching the jail scenes and the side characters in those scenes did great work. Like the woman who acknowledged how messed up it is to have a parent with bad credit put bills in their kid's name because she had one of her parents do it to her. Or the older woman who thought there couldn't possibly be any reason for Mercedes to treat her mom that way only to realize that, yeah, maybe she had it coming. Or the drunk woman who admitted to having an extramarital affair with her mother in law and the hilarious reactions from the other women. Also, how Patrice was able to win people over and have an impromptu worship session that seemed to genuinely inspire these women who are feeling low and are basically having the worst day ever. Interesting too that Patrice was able to win over a bunch of strangers but not her daughter who knows the real woman beneath the preacher facade.