Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: The End Is at Hand / S07.E13: What We’re Fighting For

• Start Topic

With their backs against the wall and Nathaniel and Sibyl edging ever closer to eliminating S.H.I.E.L.D. from the history books, the agents must rely on their strengths to outsmart and outlast the Chronicoms. This is their most important fight, and it will take the help of friends and teammates, past and present, to survive.

Airdate: August 12, 2020

Deke rubbing Jemma's back and saying "Relax. Get some rest. I got you" made me like him 50% more, along with all of his protectiveness as he took her everywhere explaining she had memory loss. It had a very real grandma/grandson vibe to it. This finale was really Deke at his best. Staying behind to help the team and because he knew they could still have a future Deke, but also because he's "basically a rock god" in this timeline and declaring himself the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D? Such a Deke move.

Daisousa kiss! (did we ever name them?) Love that they're just traveling through space together on missions. And that ET made Sousa cry.

Garrett thinking he could just teleport away in the handcuffs was so stupid. But he tried to be decent, so I feel bad for him getting shot in the head. Then the karma of it being someone Old Garrett killed was just a perfect moment. 

May hugged Daisy!

I didn't get teary-eyed at Jemma's wedding ring being the final piece of the machine. Or Fitz's relieved "Jemma!" upon arrival. Like I think we all knew when a man arrived it would be Fitz, but I also went "Yep, that's definitely the sound of Fitz breathing" as confirmation more than his shape was. 

The quantum realm!

Fitz talking Jemma through the future was so beautiful. And it was very obvious where they were going with Alya. Their reunion was really sweet. I got Fringe finale vibes from the picnic with their tiny blonde daughter. 

I really respect that they didn't even put a commercial break between Daisy "dying" and reviving. Like, we knew that wouldn't stick, and they didn't even act like they thought we would. 

Coulson got his car back!

Fitting that in the time of Covid, the series basically ended with a Zoom meeting. This was beautiful. Deeply satisfying. The only way I could have liked it more is if we got a Bobbi/Hunter cameo and brought Tripp back from the dead. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 24

That was just a perfect finale.

Everybody got a happy ending, and nobody (outside of Garrett) died.  Even secondary characters got happy endings.  Flint's at the Academy, which is named after Coulson.  Piper asked for her bestie back.

Loved May taking control of The Cavalry nickname.  She hated it, because she got it by killing a child, but to protect her family, she's gonna be The Cavalry.

There was nothing to hate about this finale, except for when it went to commercials.  Thanks for a great finale and a great 7 years.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So Daisy: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.

Mack: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (With the trench, even)

May: Instructor at S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy

Fitzsimmons: Consultants, I guess?

Coulson: On Sabbatical

Deke: Rock Star, Ruler of the World?

Drne is Nick Fury in a different timeline. I loved that “yes”. 

Deke’s mother is a cutie.

Not a horrible ending but I mostly hated this season so even though the finale mostly pulled it out in the end I am going to give it a middle mark.  You know not gonna go in my best series finales ever but also not gonna make me retroactively hate the series. 

I did like Deke being made leader of shield in the past.    I also liked the final battle stuff.  I was briefly annoyed that Daisy was brought back to life so easily.   I honestly thought her sacrificing herself was perfect for her character arc  but then the Cora arc and giving Daisy a  family to hold onto was also in her stc

Loved May finally making the Cavalry name her own.   

it was a little too clean for my tastes but honestly a good finale regardless 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Just watched it (East coast time).  Just wanted to share my (final!) thoughts:

- I think overall, I am happiest with May's arch, not just this season, but this series.  I was a bit concerned that her new empathy powers would negate her history as the the strong fighter she has always been.  Her new path as an instructor at the Academy builds on everything she was and became.  As a teacher and mentor she will be the cornerstone of the future of SHIELD.  

- FitzSimmons family - even though I saw it coming, I teared up.  My only wish is that we saw had more Fitz this season.  Also, Deke could be old but alive- felt there should have been a moment there.  For a season that ruminated on finding a path, and the value of family, the absence of Deke was a flaw to me.

- Deke - he found a place for himself, a "family" so to speak.  I knew he would be left behind the second it was discussed.  If there was a character I was rooting for this season above all others, it was Deke- our orphan desperate to belong, our misfit desperate to be valued.  His ending wasn't perfect for me, but it was as good as I could hope.  

- Daisy: I'm grateful she wasn't set up as the only 'savior' of everything, but a member of the team as a whole with a part to play. I've been up and down over the years with how the writers have written this character, but this season was solid for me.  Even the Cora story line, though extremely rushed, fit a larger theme of finding one's place in the world, and setting up Daisy as the Coulson to Cora.  I felt we saw a maturity to the character necessary to the plot. 

- Mack & YoYo: I think their ending made sense.  Overall, to me, their ending felt a bit flat- yes they are enjoying great professional success, as they should, but I was always hoping for something more for Mack in particular (the story of his daughter always pierced my heart).  I don't know what exactly I wanted, but it was something more.  

- Coulson: I actually liked the ambiguity of his ending, because I have (likely unrealistic) hope that he may still have a future MCU appearance. 

Overall, I liked the ending more than I wanted to, though the best parts of this season wasn't the final 3 episodes.

• Love 5

And so it ends!

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good series finale.  Glad everyone got a happy ending, and while it is bittersweet that the team will likely only remain together through holographic Zoom calls (I guess COV-19 is still an issue!  Way to stay on top of social distancing, S.H.I.E.L.D!), I'm glad that everyone seems to be in a great place either professionally or personally!

Of course, the highlight for me was Fitz finally returning for good and getting to see Iain De Caestacker interact with everyone again.  I'm not sure if it was an availability issue or if this season was always going to be Fitz-lite, but I really did miss him.  Hell, his brief exchanges with Sousa made me sad that we didn't get more of that, because that could have been fun as well!  But I'm just glad that Simmons did get her memories back, and both of them are together with their child.  Aww!  I'm choosing to believe that the rest of their lives is carefree and happy going forward, and no one gets kidnapped/memory wiped/turned evil/dies and has to be plucked from a different timeline/stuck on an alien planet ever again!

Deke staying back in the alternate timeline is strangely fitting for him.  I'm sure he will make for a great, if unorthodox leader of that version of S.H.I.E.L.D.!  Assuming he doesn't spend all of his time just stealing more songs from 80s rock bands...

Oh, hey, it's Flint.  And Piper!  And Piper used her favor from Simmons to make a LMD version of Davis!!  Again, aww!!

Glad we got some final scenes with Enoch.  Joel Stoffer really is the best.

I know he was a bad guy and all, but I did feel a little bad for Garrett at the end.  Sure, his assist at the end was mainly self-serving, but dammit, he was trying!

I wish I cared more about Kora, but I guess it's cool that she came around at the end.  Nathaniel still was dull final baddie.  All I could think of when he was talking himself up at the end was "Dude, you're not even the best Malick.  Sure, Gideon didn't have any superpowers, but he at least brought the gravitas and epic snarls of Powers Boothe to the proceedings!"

The Mack/Sousa scenes were the best.  I'm glad that the series brought Sousa back and gave him a good send-off after Agent Carter.

Coulson got his car again!

Bummed we didn't get any surprise cameos from Tripp or Bobbi/Lance.  Heck, I would have even been down for a Ward sighting.  Maybe.

Fare thee well, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  You weren't perfect, but you ended up being way better than you had any right to be (especially after the admittedly very rough pre-Winter Solider first half of first season), and ended up being some of the best entertainment Marvel had to offer.  Not sure what my favorite season is (if I was put on the spot, I'd probably lean towards to Framework arc), but each season had episodes and moments that I truly enjoyed, and there was never a moment that made me want to throw my hands up in the air and quit.  And in this day and age, that's kind of impressive.  I'm glad they ended things on their own terms, but I will miss these characters and their journeys.  Hopefully, we'll be seeing these actors again in other things.  I'm especially curious to see what Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge do next.

Well done, everybody!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 18

I thought it was great that they took about 10 minutes with the "One Year Later" epilogue. They took the time to finalize the story arcs of all the major characters. 

If I have a complaint it was that they didn't kill off Nathaniel quickly enough! 😏

I'm so happy Fitzsimmons got their happily ever after. 💖

Lola!!! That just tied everything up with a giant ribbon for me! 🏎️

I really don't think I could ask much more from a series finale. This may be one of the most satisfying series finales ever, IMO. 👍

• Love 12

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, like finding out that Fitz was dying of some terminal illness and Jemma was pregnant, or some silly plot twist that makes things super complicated and convoluted, but instead, they gave us a really satisfying finale, one that nicely wrapped the story up, giving all of the characters happy endings that felt well earned, and we got closure as well as a "And the Adventure Goes On" type of ending, where we can image that everyone goes off to have even more adventures after the show ends. Everyone is separated, but they are off living their best lives and can still Zoom each other when they want to chat, so while its bittersweet, its more on the sweet side. 

Everyone got a happy ending (Davis even got brought back to life!!) and after how much everyone has suffered over the years, this happy ending is very well earned. I especially loved May finally owning her Calvary nickname, after hating it for so long, and now reclaiming it to protect the people she loves, and then becoming a teacher for the next generation of agents, Fits and Simmons finally getting their happy ending with their adorable daughter, and the full circle ending for Daisy, where, like Coulson did for her at the start of the show, she is mentoring a troubled young woman unsure of her place in the universe by giving her a home, family, and purpose in SHIELD. The show even managed to grab Sousa out of a completely different show, and give him a happy ending too! I ended up really shipping Daisy and Sousa, so I am thrilled that they got together and found each other (even in really off circumstances) after so many relationships that ended in failure and/or tragedy. And Coulson is even reunited with his car, with some super cool upgrades! I kind of saw Deke being the one to stay behind to save the other universe coming, especially as he spent the most time immersed in that universe (Mack spent most of his time there being depressed and alone) and is from a totally different time line anyway, and while I am sad that he was separated from everyone

My only complaints are pretty minor, like Nathaniel being kind of a lame bad guy to go out on, and some of the ambiguity of the ending, like I dont know if Yo-Yo and Mack are still a thing, and I would have liked to see a few old characters like Bobbi, Hunter, Tripp, or even an alternate Ward show up, but over all, I am very satisfied, its pretty much exactly what I wanted from the ending of this show, which has been one heck of a ride, with many high highs (the Ghost Rider/Framework season is one of my favorite seasons of TV ever) and showed vast improvement over its bland beginning. Its the finale that I wanted, and they gave it to me, what else could I ask for?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

The writing for this finale was sloppy.  Then again, when it comes to time travel, the MCU is not very good at handling it.  And the writing mistakes for this particular season began in the first episode when the Chronicoms tried to kill Wilfrid Malick in order to prevent the formation of S.H.I.E.L.D.  That never made any sense to me.

• Love 2

Daisy detonated several radioactive domes..but her body did not fragment into thousands of pieces or get incinerated. WTF.

I must have missed the explanation of why Yo-Yo did not pick up the installed Chronibombs and throw them in the lake BEFORE trapping Garrett.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

I loved the reference to Serenity (the movie) with Mack's knockout device being the same kind of weapon Simon used when rescuing River.

The Chronicoms duct-taped to the missiles was hilarious, especially the way their hands were flapping around.

I think I was a little spoiled (not in the spoiler sense) by Blindspot's finale which had an astonishing number of appearances from previous guest stars. I was hoping Samuel L. Jackson or Cobie Smulders would show up at the end. And the show never did explicitly tie back in to the MCU as a whole (although we did get the quantum realm and Fitz's device which was a scaled-down version of the time machine from Endgame) so we didn't get any answers to how these characters would deal with the Snap. Don't get me wrong though, I think this show entirely stands on its own.

Regarding Sousa, I'm trying to think of other shows where a character started on one show and ended up on another. Denny Crane and Alan Shore went from The Practice to Boston Legal. Worf and Chief O'Brien went from TNG to DS9. Picard and Seven of Nine went from TNG and Voyager to Picard. In any case, Sousa is among some rare company. I liked what he brought to the show and I liked his relationship with Daisy more than any previous love interests of hers.

Fitz was initially dismayed that Jiaying wasn't alive because she had some crucial role to play. I wish we had heard a little more about that.

It was cool to see Victoria Hand again and poetic that she shot Garrett. While I appreciate that Garrett had somewhat of a redemption arc, I interpret his rather casual death as an indication that he would have eventually betrayed the team again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, paigow said:

I must have missed the explanation of why Yo-Yo did not pick up the installed Chronibombs and throw them in the lake BEFORE trapping Garrett.

They had already locked down the Lighthouse, while Garret could jump through obstacles Yo-Yo would have had to go around them and we don't know how fast she is. except as fast as needed for the plot.

• Love 2

Fitz was initially dismayed that Jiaying wasn't alive because she had some crucial role to play. I wish we had heard a little more about that

Nah, I think it was all about Cora, not Jiaying, it was just worded confusing.

So...the finale....

What I didn't like: No explanation for the snap but I guess I go with "it happened around the same time they were busy taking out Graviton and it was just never mentioned in the show because the focus was always on something more pressing". You could interpret the "so many are lost" line that way at least....

Also, seven season and there is still one big plot point unsolved. Well, there are a couple smaller ones, too, but we still don't know what happened to the Inhuman on the bottom of the ocean. Granted, I didn't really expect them to squeeze that in the last two episodes, but still, for a perfectly wrapped up ending, this is kind of missing, which is odd, since usually the writers don't just forget about plot points.

Also, their finale twist sadly didn't work. The fandom figured it out way, waaaaay in advance. Nice try, AoS.

What I liked: Pretty much everything else!!! They really gave everyone the perfect ending, but left also a lot of room for fan theories. In my mind, Mack and Elena are still together and are kind of parenting Flint. And Daisy, Sousa and Cora aren't jut travelling space, they are also travelling time, which might or might not have involved a mission during the battle of new York.  It's kind of the happy ending after the bitter-sweet one. And how fitting to end the last episode just like the first one: With Lola!!!! And yes, it was kind of snort-worthy that they basically ended on a Zoom call.

Favourite scene: All those Shield agents in the bar. I mean, it was a little bit odd that they all just accepted what as happening without question (yes, they are agents, but THAT was a little bit much), but it was still great to see them all. Hey, and if you want, you can imagine that Gareth survived after all (kind of feel bad for him, he was a little shit, but it is kind of harsh to get betrayed in every reality). Loved to see a softer version of Victoria Hand. Still trying to figure out if the old guy with the late bus was meant to be Fury's father or Triplets Grandfather. I have to watch that scene closely again. Just too bad that they couldn't get Peggy or Thompson or someone else along the line for that scene….

Small timeline count:

1. The MCU timeline

2. The 1932 or 1955 Split, when the Cromicoms derayled everything (I kind of assume that what they did in the 1930s was more a ripple and not a wave).

3. The 2012 split when Loki escapes with the tessaract

4. The 2014 Split where Thanos vanishes out of one reality (also the perfect place for all the "infinity war never happened" fanfic AUs....)

5. The 2018 Split where Graviton destroyed the earth and the Kree took over

6. The whenever Cap went back split, in which Cap decided to be with Peggy.

There is also a possible split in 1970 where Howard, inspired from his talk to Tony, ends up being a better father….

Anyway, my finale judgement is that the show still is damn impressive. Seven seasons, 136 episodes, and I can count the bad episodes on one hand and still would have some fingers left. I can't even do a top ten of "meh" episodes (I can do a top nine which I will publish soon, though).

• Love 6

And the show never did explicitly tie back in to the MCU as a whole (although we did get the quantum realm and Fitz's device which was a scaled-down version of the time machine from Endgame) so we didn't get any answers to how these characters would deal with the Snap.

Considering that the films had never bothered to acknowledge the characters from the series or any events, I never understood this demand that the series had to adhere to the franchise's canon and not the films.

Loved to see a softer version of Victoria Hand. 

Why was Victoria Hand a SHIELD agent in the 1980s?  She struck me as being too young to be an agent during that decade.

Edited by LJones41
  • Love 2

Some of us like the "all is connected concept".

They never specified when Victoria Hand was born.  The fall of shield happend towards the end of 2013, though, and she was at least in her 40s during that period, possible older. It isn't far fetched that she was a young agent in the mid 1980s.  

• Love 2

Enoch, the lonely Chronicom  turned out to be a predictor too and seeded history with parts. The human resistance pulled that trick on the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Even as a young agent Victoria Hand was shoot first ask questions later. I guess Director Shaw will be the ones responsible to get her back from a near friendly fire killing. Another agent with his grandfather's Howling Commando gear, I wonder if he is Tripp's cousin but between The First Avenger and Agent Carter we know of at least two Black Howling Commandos.

In the end the one year later seemed too soon for all that was going on. Daisy has her bus in space and they are quick to trust Kora. I guess the season 6 rebuilt Big S.H.I.E.L.D. was a lot bigger than I thought. A year after dropping back into that timeline a helicarrier is up and running. May is a teacher at S.H.I.E.L.D. prep getting Flint ready for the academy.  I do need to do a rewatch but am only in the first season pre Turn, Turn, Turn at the moment. Did Agent Davis who seems shares Coulson's survival superpower  get snatched for the Framework brain scan? I guess Mack has softened on the robots there being at least two sentient  LMDs in the ranks.

As a finale it felt like the DS9 in both my anticipation of the 7 years of fun provided and the feeling that they tried to stuff too much stuff in with the rush towards the epilogue. But after seeing Endgame I would have brought Jeff Ward and others back for an Old Man Deke scene, partially out of spite for being cutoff after Joss Whedon was pushed out

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Which reminds me: did anyone else think "Independence Day" when the Zephyr was sucked into the airship?

I thought Independence Day since  the trailer after Coulson's  "yes" to the computer genius question when the Chronicom enhanced missile firing scene, although we didn't get the defaced robots strapped to the missiles was used to sell the action next week.. Then they went and gave us Star Wars with one team, Daisy going for a rescue and the other trying to find a way to set up the ship's escape.

Edited by Raja

Honestly, I am not sure when I started watching AoS just for the created family and not for the plot, and, although, I hated most of the villains during its tenure, most of the time travel stuff, and there was always at least one thing each season that made me go "WHY!" I loved how the ensemble cast of characters formed this rag-tag family. So, I am happy the ending was happy. I squeeled when I saw Fitz--although, I knew it was coming.

I do wish that Crazy Cal would have made an appearance. I loved him. I am glad Sousa did not die. I kept expecting, when he and Mac were just shooting the breeze, for a Chronicom to come behind him and shoot him. I was hoping for some way to resurrect Enoch too. I am on the fence with Deke staying behind. It made me sad.

Overall, I am not mad at this.

• Love 5

So, I've been watching all season but I haven't commented. With this finale, though, there's just so much to say about it.

I really did love the finale. Yes, there were some issues, but no finale is perfect. This one satisfied me, though. I love that they did give everyone a happy ending.

I think, after a bad two seasons for me, this entire season was pretty good and a step-up from what I expected. I knew there'd be timeline issues (there ALWAYS is with time travel shows) but I think they handled it as best as they could.

Daisy/Sousa get a happy ending together! I was convinced one of them would die so I'm glad they're sticking together. I thought Sousa would die after appearing in only three episodes, but he stuck around to the very end! And I wish we got more Kora, instead of only four episodes. She's a character who had a lot to her but very little time to show it onscreen. 

The Fitzsimmons conclusion was also satisfying, even if it was predictable. It was obvious the moment they said that they spent years together that they had their daughter in that time. Still, it worked very well, especially with Deke's ending.

Speaking of Deke, I guess the ending for him works. I don't quite get why they couldn't have had one of the agents from the alternate timeline hit the button and why Deke had to stay behind, but I guess they really wanted to reiterate the message that Enoch had given to the team about it being their last mission and they'd never be in the same room as a full team again. It kind of cheapens the message by only having one team member get left behind but it's really not a bad ending for Deke. I think what worked with Deke here is his relationship with his grandmother. They hadn't really explored that as much in the last couple of seasons (he's been too busy pining over Daisy) so I'm glad they gave him a lot of excellent material this season where he's not just comedic relief, especially in this finale with his caretaking for Simmons. 

Even LMD Coulson gets a happy ending with him getting Lola back! Well, at least Lola 2.0. I also thought May's arc concluded very well, especially with them incorporating her empathy powers to help save the day. Her being an instructor at Coulson Academy was a great way for her to end her arc.

Mack and Yo-Yo also great a great ending as well. I love where their characters ended up. And Piper's back! And they build LMD Davis! Yeah! And Flint's back! 

Honestly, this finale was as good as it was going to be. I love the way that this series concluded. The only thing I would have loved to see was a Samuel L Jackson cameo with Coulson at the end but otherwise, it was probably one of my favourite series finales of recent years. If any set of characters deserve a complete happy ending, it's these ones.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Fitz was initially dismayed that Jiaying wasn't alive because she had some crucial role to play. I wish we had heard a little more about that.

Guessing he knew Daisy would die and wanted someone with magic healing superpowers...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I am still trying to remember what happened to the first Lola.

Technically they weren't in the same room together. They were all on their own mission.

In my every growing headcanon Deke will be spending the next years looking out for a bunch of mini-agents. Minus Daisy, naturally. But he can now watch out for his bobo while he grows up fatherless….

• Love 2

Wow that was an awkward ending with them barely knowing what to say to each other. I don't buy that for a second. Even if they were doing different jobs they would still be very close. They've literally faced death together. I feel like they should have had them have a better goodbye then that. Especially since the great one they had at the end of season 5. It would have been cute to have them together for some life event. Maybe Fitz and Simmon's daughter's birthday or something. And show that they are still close even if they aren't on a "team".  The only thing I did like was Coulson driving off in Lola. Which I remember wanting back in season 5. And seeing Davis. Other than that it felt cold and emotionless. Which I didn't care for.

Anyhow as for the rest of the episode. It was very rushed and confusing. Like figuring out who was were and how they got there lol. Then the stuff with Simmon's and Fitz was sort of just shoved in there. It should have been a whole episode instead of 5 minutes.  So Fitz was like Antman by being in the quatum realm. That doesn't explain how he could do anything with their time jumps as for him little time would have passed and there would be no interaction with anything outside of it. Plus there is the outside factor of where would they even get access to that, but that's a whole other question.There was way to much focus on Malack and Kora. I don't care about them and never did. It would have been better to use that time to focus on the team together. 

Overall, looking back at the show. I feel like the last two seasons almost shouldn't have been made. Season 5 had such a great ending and was hopeful. Obviously it's great that they were able to save Fitz but I feel like there were a lot more "meh" episodes then I liked. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, dwmarch said:

And the show never did explicitly tie back in to the MCU as a whole (although we did get the quantum realm and Fitz's device which was a scaled-down version of the time machine from Endgame) so we didn't get any answers to how these characters would deal with the Snap.

I thought the machine Fitz built was a scaled down version of Hank Pym's machine.  I also thought that this is an alternative timeline to the snap.

What was Piper's and Flint's wish? I didn't catch them.  I knew Colsoun would get Lola back.  I like the fact that it was a clean ending and not a stupid what if or black out screen ala Sopranos.

One thing they could have added was allowing us a peek into what Deke was doing in the alternative timeline. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I thought the machine Fitz built was a scaled down version of Hank Pym's machine.  I also thought that this is an alternative timeline to the snap.

What was Piper's and Flint's wish? I didn't catch them.  I knew Colsoun would get Lola back.  I like the fact that it was a clean ending and not a stupid what if or black out screen ala Sopranos.

One thing they could have added was allowing us a peek into what Deke was doing in the alternative timeline. 

I didn't catch that line from Agent Piper and Flint but Piper got her best friend and partner back in the same way the main team got Coulson back and Flint is in school to become an enhanced S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

Oh Yo-Yo gave the line about Piper's reward.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, swanpride said:

Favourite scene: All those Shield agents in the bar. I mean, it was a little bit odd that they all just accepted what as happening without question (yes, they are agents, but THAT was a little bit much), but it was still great to see them all. Hey, and if you want, you can imagine that Gareth survived after all (kind of feel bad for him, he was a little shit, but it is kind of harsh to get betrayed in every reality). Loved to see a softer version of Victoria Hand. Still trying to figure out if the old guy with the late bus was meant to be Fury's father or Triplets Grandfather. I have to watch that scene closely again. Just too bad that they couldn't get Peggy or Thompson or someone else along the line for that scene….

Victoria Hand was still in shock for her fast trigger but the rest of the agents with family secret missions did seem oddly passive for survivors of  a S.H.I.E.L.D.  Pearl Harbor while Fitz went on his mad scientist routine. 

As all the old guy carried was a musician's tuning fork and drop Koeing's and Enoch's names I would guess his connection was there, maybe a young Black guy in the season premiere, if I went back and looked for one and not as an active SSR Agent or Howling Commando. 

• Love 1

Kind of, but remember how S.H.I.E.L.D. used to work. They don't really question other levels. There were people turning up obviously knowing what this was all about, so they followed orders. Hopefully Deke did something about this attitude later on...

• Love 5

As I said in the media thread I consider seasons 6 and 7 taking place in a timeline where Thor went for the head. Or Starlord didn't eff up on Titan! Everything might have happened to the team in the movie timeline as we've seen these last two seasons except they mention The Snap.

• Love 2

Oh man, I am going to miss this show so much. I might have to go back and do another all-seasons rewatch now. I really loved this finale - maybe not so much the plot as the satisfying resolution of it all. A friend of mine has been deeply anxious about how it would all end but I've been assuring her all season that there would be a happy ending, somehow I had absolute faith it would work out that way, and I'm so happy to have that faith vindicated! I don't even know where to begin with talking about it all, so I'm just going to comment on a few things others have said, instead!

15 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Daisousa kiss! (did we ever name them?) Love that they're just traveling through space together on missions. 

Dousy is the ship portmanteau I've seen most often.

3 hours ago, swanpride said:

I am still trying to remember what happened to the first Lola.

I don't think we've seen Lola since...maybe since the base got blown up in the middle of S4? If I had to take a stab at when Coulson lost her, that's where I'd put it. They'd settled in that base, then it got blown up, then they were all in the framework, then they were in space, then they were in hiding in the lighthouse, and then they were travelling through time. So, yeah, I'd say season 4 is when he lost Lola!

3 hours ago, blueray said:

Wow that was an awkward ending with them barely knowing what to say to each other. I don't buy that for a second. Even if they were doing different jobs they would still be very close. They've literally faced death together. I feel like they should have had them have a better goodbye then that.

...I feel like we watched completely different versions of the same scene. I saw no awkwardness, but rather a cosy chat between old friends, catching up after a long period of not getting the chance to all talk to one another at the same time. They've all moved on, but they all still love one another as family, even if they don't talk as often as they once did, since all their lives are so different now.

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

What was Piper's and Flint's wish? I didn't catch them. 

Piper wished for her bestie back as her reward for protecting Fitz and Alya - Davis, as an LMD. He seemed to be coping with it better than Coulson did at first, but you'd think there'd be complications around his wife and child - were they ever notified of his death? Do they know he's now an LMD? Are they cool with it? We weren't told that Flint also got a wish, but I'd guess that living a safe, comfortable life on a non-destroyed Earth and training to be a SHIELD agent is his reward.

I was a bit puzzled about Flint being on his feet - weren't those scenes set in conjunction with the last scenes of the S6 finale? Shouldn't he have still had his broken leg?

There's loads more I want to say, but I can't get my thoughts together just yet!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I was a bit puzzled about Flint being on his feet - weren't those scenes set in conjunction with the last scenes of the S6 finale? Shouldn't he have still had his broken leg?

There's loads more I want to say, but I can't get my thoughts together just yet!

As I understand it they got out and went hiding into the future with Enoch and then later went back in time with a recovered Flint again building a time monolith like he did for Izel.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

What was Kora's power?

It seemed some sort of energy blast close to the mutant Havok in X-Men First Class  for a cinematic analogue.

29 minutes ago, Raja said:

As I understand it they got out and went hiding into the future with Enoch and then later went back in time with a recovered Flint again building a time monolith like he did for Izel.

I'd have to watch again, but I thought Fitzsimmons and Enoch joined Piper and Flint on the Quinjet as they were flying it away from the S6 finale. They landed, Piper and Flint got off the Quinjet. Flint created another bit of the time monolith. Fitzsimmons and Enoch then left them there, saying they would be back in just a moment - then they promptly went off into space for something like five years, before returning to Piper and Flint in the forest literally seconds after they left, this time bringing with them the containment pod to be guarded. And then turned up again just moments later, giving Piper and Flint the shock of their lives because Fitz was meant to be inside the pod. So, for Piper and Flint the whole of S7 was no more than five minutes - and Flint should still have had his broken leg.

Am I missing something?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I'd have to watch again, but I thought Fitzsimmons and Enoch joined Piper and Flint on the Quinjet as they were flying it away from the S6 finale. They landed, Piper and Flint got off the Quinjet. Flint created another bit of the time monolith. Fitzsimmons and Enoch then left them there, saying they would be back in just a moment - then they promptly went off into space for something like five years, before returning to Piper and Flint in the forest literally seconds after they left, this time bringing with them the containment pod to be guarded. And then turned up again just moments later, giving Piper and Flint the shock of their lives because Fitz was meant to be inside the pod. So, for Piper and Flint the whole of S7 was no more than five minutes - and Flint should still have had his broken leg.

Am I missing something?

Could be  I guess as the talk continues and long form podcast get in on this the continuity miss will be confirmed 

14 hours ago, paigow said:

They were hoping Garrett would be able to disable them, maybe he (or Nathaniel) wouldn't be able to do that if they were in the lake.

Good finale, happy endings all around.  Good to see Fitz and Simmons get theirs most of all, probably.  A little bittersweet that Coulson and May don't get together, but oh well.  I knew that Coulson's car had a name, but I couldn't remember it, had to look it up:  Lola.

The only thing that bums me out is we never got to see Graviton.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Raja said:

Could be  I guess as the talk continues and long form podcast get in on this the continuity miss will be confirmed 

Maybe SHIELD field splints are Just That Good?

18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The only thing that bums me out is we never got to see Graviton.

Graviton? You mean Talbot? He's dead. And back in the 80s he'd have been a junior army officer who had nothing to do with SHIELD.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Maybe SHIELD field splints are Just That Good?

Graviton? You mean Talbot? He's dead. And back in the 80s he'd have been a junior army officer who had nothing to do with SHIELD.

I was thinking more of pain killers than splints

General Talbot USAF, but I live in a split family 😎. However from the army regiment supporting the SSR  through the Area 51 and the Endgame second time jump we have seen US military on S.S.R./S.H.I.E.L.D.  bases

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

I was thinking more of pain killers than splints

General Talbot USAF, but I live in a split family 😎. However from the army regiment supporting the SSR  through the Area 51 and the Endgame second time jump we have seen US military on S.S.R./S.H.I.E.L.D.  bases

I was just thinking that we saw the team splinting Flint's leg back in the S6 finale. But probably painkillers, yes!

Air force, yes, sorry.

I don't think Talbot had any contact with SHIELD before being assigned to hunt them down in S2. I mean, there's no reason that couldn't be changed in the alternate timeline, but thereally the only opportunity during the season to see a US military officer working with SHIELD was back in 1955 and Talbot is too young for that. During the episodes in the 80s and in the finale, when he'd have been the right age, we saw SHIELD agents only, so no opening for a young Talbot.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2020 at 1:46 AM, dwmarch said:

I loved the reference to Serenity (the movie) with Mack's knockout device being the same kind of weapon Simon used when rescuing River.

I was wondering why it looked familiar -- I thought it might have been an early 084 that I'd forgotten about.

I was glad that everyone (except crazyass Garrett) got their happy ending, and I probably should be miffed that Daisy's self-sacrifice was of a strictly temporary kind; it felt a little cheap (along with Agent Davis's "oh, ain't no thing" return as LMDavis) -- but I'm feeling so much affection for the characters I can't really feel upset about it. The return of Lola inclines me to forgive much, too. Even Kora's sudden Heel-Face Turn probably worked better than it ought to have.

Too see Fitz and Simmons alive, together, and radiantly happy seems deeply right -- surely no characters on the show deserve it more than they. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, thuganomics85 said:

And Piper used her favor from Simmons to make a LMD version of Davis!!  Again, aww!!

Again, I should probably find this creepier than I do -- I'm just happy to see Piper and Davis again.    

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

..I feel like we watched completely different versions of the same scene. I saw no awkwardness, but rather a cosy chat between old friends, catching up after a long period of not getting the chance to all talk to one another at the same time. They've all moved on, but they all still love one another as family, even if they don't talk as often as they once did, since all their lives are so different now.

Some of it maybe because of Covid but I would have preferred a scene where they were physically together and not seem like they were all squeezing time in a busy schedule to see each other for a few minutes. Also "same time next year" well that's sad, so they really don't see each other. That being said, I will say I am happy that they did mostly get a happy ending. And that Fitz and Simmon's can raise their daughter together. And that May is teaching.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I was wondering why it looked familiar -- I thought it might have been an early 084 that I'd forgotten about.

I was glad that everyone (except crazyass Garrett) got their happy ending, and I probably should be miffed that Daisy's self-sacrifice was of a strictly temporary kind; it felt a little cheap (along with Agent Davis's "oh, ain't no thing retun as LMDavis) -- but I'm feeling so much affection for the characters I can't really feel upset about it. The return of Lola inclines me to forgive much, too. Even Kora's sudden Heel-Face Turn probably worked better than it ought to have.

Too see Fitz and Simmons alive, together, and radiantly happy seems deeply right -- surely no characters on the show deserve it more than they. 

Again, I should probably find this creepier than I do -- I'm just happy to see Piper and Davis again.    

The scene was ripped from Firefly but the tech came from season 1 episode 2, 0-8-4.

At first talk with friends nobody remembers Davis being scanned for the Framework. He was down there with Aida and used his survival superpower that he shares with LMD Coulson. But with Fitz jumping branches timeline tech I can head canon a mission like Old Man Steve made to get a brain scan to reward Agent Piper.

I do wonder if Director MacKenzie has more robots running around big S.H.I.E.L.D.

Edited by Raja