Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: There's Something About Harry

• Start Topic

What a subjective term. That Heather doesn't live in a fancy building doesn't automatically make her "middle class," comfortable or otherwise. I'd bet that she and her husband are in the seven figure range of income, which is a far cry from middle class (or even upper middle class).

Depends on where you live. In NYC, 7 figures could mean comfortably middle class.

Agreed, from what I understand, Heather and Jonathan have a place in the city that they need because they both work in the city, but they consider themselves to "live" in their house in the Berkshires.  Maybe they decided that they don't need an apartment on Park Avenue to serve that purpose or that they would rather invest/spend/donate/save their money elsewhere.  I, too, suspect their income is in the seven figure range, which would put them in the top 1% of income/wealth.  I know it's NYC, so that distorts the perception a little bit, but let's not get crazy. 

I don't believe that the Berkshire house is where they consider home. There is no way they would live there with no AC on a regular basis. It wouldn't happen, not with how hot and humid it gets in the east.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't believe that the Berkshire house is where they consider home. There is no way they would live there with no AC on a regular basis. It wouldn't happen, not with how hot and humid it gets in the east.

I am pretty sure that in the first season Heather joined the show, she says that they "live" in the Berkshires and they work in the city, she was throwing a party to honor her father while home in the Berkshires, and the no AC thing doesn't seem to be an issue for her, as the house was built to be open with the outside air being able to blow through.  I am also pretty sure she has mentioned that they go to the Berkshires on the weekends, so while she may spend the majority of the time in the city, their focus in on the Berkshires. 

Depends on where you live. In NYC, 7 figures could mean comfortably middle class.

It doesn't really depend on where you live, as "middle class" is a term used to describe the income across the country, and "middle class" in the United States is between 50-100k in income, upper middle class is low to mid 6 figures, and a 7 figure income is in the top 1% of the country.  So yes, while living in NYC might be more expensive and therefore, your money might not go as far as it would in say, Denver or Cleveland, and there may be more people per capita with a top 1% income (or even top .1%) living in Manhattan, but a 7 figure income is not middle class by any standard.  The point of middle class is that you are in the middle in terms of income, and the top 1% does not mean you are in the middle.  It means you are at the top.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't know. I continue to hear this, and it always just feels like something bouncing around an echo chamber. Sure, there have been a lot of changes to happen to NYC over the past two decades, but the idea that seven figures can be classified as comfortably middle class just doesn't sit well with me. And what of a public school teacher in NYC making, let's say, $80,000 a year? Maybe it's a husband and wife who are teachers, so their annual household income could be under $200,000? That to me says middle class.

That's why the idea of a seven figure income (likely seven figures on both Heather's and Jon's end) being middle class (comfortable or otherwise) strikes such a discordant note. 

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh, I was just kiddn' saying Heather was middle class.  Clearly, she's not.  But it's all relative really.  She & her hubby may be worth maybe a few mil, but that's very small coin, compared to many, many others in this town.  Btw, where you live speaks volumes here.  So does where you travel & when & how often.  And how you spend your summers.  And other homes/properties.  Just sayin'.

Bout Jonathan, here's info from another site-

"he worked as a managing director of Colliers ABR, a commercial real estate and management firm in New York and he is currently Senior Managing Director and Principal of Cassidy Turley, a commercial real estate company."

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

YASSS! I have been looking for a way to appear more edgy and/or gangster to my 30- and 40-something, middle class friends. WHO KNEW I just had to pepper my conversations with a few "hollas" and "mamas"?? Instant street cred!

I tried to read if anyone else posted this, but let's add Kristin to the (not)Gangsta list with her, "You better check yourself, player!" when she interrupted her hubby's Conference Call with Six People. That was a cringe-worthy moment. Ugh.

I tried to read if anyone else posted this, but let's add Kristin to the (not)Gangsta list with her, "You better check yourself, player!" when she interrupted her hubby's Conference Call with Six People. That was a cringe-worthy moment. Ugh.

I caught it.  Then she said it again.

On re watch, I noticed that Sonja's dress at the party is damaged. The lace under one armpit is torn. It's not the "style" because the other side showed more lace. Yikes! Guess we shouldn't be surprised.

On re watch, I noticed that Sonja's dress at the party is damaged. The lace under one armpit is torn. It's not the "style" because the other side showed more lace. Yikes! Guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Looks like Sonja should invest in some duct tape to go with her Sharpies. 

(edited)

I am so sick of Aviva throwing shit at people to prove her point. Whoever held onto the xrays and doctor notes was nicer than I would have been. That crap would be tossed on the floor. She also threw her asthma meds. Don't even let me get started on the leg...... How tacky.

She needs to go.

Edited by ihartcoffee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Why do I get the feeling that Aviva was the kind of kid who would throw her toys at other kids, or toss the Monopoly board at them when she was losing?

Maybe that's why she and Ramona get along these days.  Ramona likes to throw glasses at people, and Aviva likes to throw everything else at them.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3

Or maybe the building doesn't allow filming like Aviva's old place.

Wait, they filmed the anniversary party on what appeared to be someone's balcony or perhaps building rooftop. I had asked about that at the time if any New Yorkers could enlighten mne as to whether the pool was theirs, or whether it was like my condo where we have a community pool. But ours is a regular old in ground number not a rooftop pool so that kind of fascinated me. 

Looks like Sonja should invest in some duct tape to go with her Sharpies.

And denture adhesive.