Type keyword(s) to search

Season 22 Live Feed Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, keke23 said:

I've been one of the people who hasn't been easy on Memphis from the beginning. I think this might be the case of Memphis using a term his own way when he has no clue about the origins. Though not a great term to use, people have to be judged more on intent (which I don't think he had bad intent) and then educated about what they are saying. Same with people and their micro-aggressions. Though some need to be burned at the stake with a scarlet letter R on them not all do.

Given that the term "coonass" is used in his part of the country to describe poor Cajuns, I don't see it as racially charged. If anything, he was describing how a certain type of people talk in his "neck of the woods". Cajuns aren't black; they're white. In contrast, the word "c***" definitely has racist connotations, and absolutely has been used against black Americans. I think there is a clear difference between the two. 

And why I am still defending Memphis this morning? I guess my love for Dan has made me give a shit about Memphis. 🙂

But I do care when the internet crucifies someone for something that wasn't said or intended. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18

Last night Ian told David his big realization at the Final 7 in BB14 was that anyone who brought Dan to the end would win. I think this is were a lot of Ian's entitlement stands from. He thinks he is some mastermind for figuring this out and deserves credit for bringing Dan to the end over Danielle and since it was such an obvious move no one has given him credit. It would be like giving Jordan credit for bringing Gnatalie over Kevin. 

It's pretty clear he really cares what the superfans think on the internet. The fact that they all correctly say he won because of a bitter jury bothers him. He has gone on reddit to defend his win on why he deserves more credit, that even though Dan is the better Big Brother player he is a top 20-30 player and would be higher if he ever played again because his social skills have improved. Taran said on RHAP last night that Ian has wanted to prove to the fan base that his win over Dan wasn't a fluke by coming back. Clearly he has shown that was the case and since he thinks he is some mastermind and smarter than everyone else in the house he can't handle the fact Dani the person who was snowed by Jeff and co-signed the Lawon move outplayed him. I think his animosity towards Kevin is that that Kevin is playing the game Ian wanted to play and the fact well Jordan beat Kevin in the F3 competition that marks him down a peg in Ian's mind.

Ian should just own his win. The one thing I always liked about Jordan was that she always owned her win by saying yeah I was nice to people and people gave me the money at the end cus they liked me more. I'm starting to think Ian/Jordan are somewhat alike if you just replace Ian's comp wins at the end of BB14 with Jordan's social game. They both came back on a returning season with not great attitudes for different reasons. I think Jordan's bad attitude had more to do with the fact she only did BB13 because of Jeff while Ian thinks he is better than everyone else in the house and wanted to prove his win.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ian said that it's not fair he went from winner to first in jury. 

Not sure what's going on with him but he definitely has some weird entitlement issues.

“You see, Ian, the thing is this... the season you won was ANOTHER season, ok?  
And this is a DIFFERENT season from the one you won, ok?  

So it’s entirely possible things may go DIFFERENTLY this season, ok?  

You get that, right?  

Right...?”

2 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

Gotcha. I'm sure CBS is under the same restrictions that all of us are. The temperature dropped. But there was a car fire on the highway last night so my phone still lists the weather as "smoke." I guess that he can't move it inside either as David got a warning the other day about moving furniture.

I started to say, “Only in California would ‘smoke’ be considered a kind of weather” - but we can’t say that any more, can we now...?  (/globalwarming)

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Rocky Top, TN (Memphis) is up! But he's not wearing his black hoodie today - something must be wrong in the universe.

OK, he's got his hoodie on now. All's right with the world. Rocky Top is chatting with Christmas in her bed. She has her sunglasses on. Rocky Top is on top of the coverings so nothing hinky going on.

Yoyo everyone, Enzo is up wearing a disguise of sunglasses and beanie so no one can recognize him. David is struggling with the gray Linus blanket - he's tangled up in it and is trying to break free. OK, Enzo is snuggling back into bed.

Rocky Top is at the small kitchen table with his cup of coffee, pondering what to do with the million when he gets it. That table is a mess. Just a quiet morning. At first I couldn't tell if the siren was on the feeds or actually outside just a block over from my house. It was in real life a block away.

Yaknow, sometimes reading these feed descriptions is simply SO much more fun than actually watching them..... 😆

6 minutes ago, Fallacy said:

Given that the term "coonass" is used in his part of the country to describe poor Cajuns, I don't see it as racially charged. If anything, he was describing how a certain type of people talk in his "neck of the woods". Cajuns aren't black; they're white. In contrast, the word "c***" definitely has racist connotations, and absolutely has been used against black Americans. I think there is a clear difference between the two. 

And why I am still defending Memphis this morning? I guess my love for Dan has made me give a shit about Memphis. 🙂

But I do care when the internet crucifies someone for something that wasn't said or intended. 

@Fallacy beat me to it.  You spend much time down around the Louisiana bottomlands, and you’ll hear “Coonass” fairly frequently - but it’s a Cajun reference, not a black/AA reference.  Any pejorative association would be more along the lines of “dirt farmer” or “country hick” - or, if you’re wanting to get nasty about it, “white trash”.

Edited by Nashville
Smoke on the water....
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Are the votes tonight at 5-3 or leaning 4-4?

Wait ... what???   I thought new school would require ... insist on ... 8-0.  

Now if we are playing by pre-school rules .... we will only see ‘stars’.  🙄

I think for the next new season Production should lie and tell each HG they are "America's Player" and if they tell any other HG, they get automatically evicted. And the viewers vote for every single thing each player should do so they become America's puppets. We don't need their minds, just their ability to walk and talk.

Edited by Shorty186
spelling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Nashville said:

@Fallacy beat me to it.  You spend much time down around the Louisiana bottomlands, and you’ll hear “Coonass” fairly frequently - but it’s a Cajun reference, not a black/AA reference.  Any pejorative association would be more along the lines of “dirt farmer” or “country hick” - or, if you’re wanting to get nasty about it, “white trash”.

Yep, it's a perjorative for rednecks.  Just glad nobody used the word "niggardly". Yet.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I hope it's 4-4 because that will cause maximum drama!

I can see where David has reason to keep Ian. What is the reason for Kevin now? The only thing they gain by keeping Ian is creating the shake up but ultimately everything is really only dependent on the next HOH. Either way Kevin is a sitting duck.  Ian spent all day trashing Kevin and saying his target was Da'vonne. Do Kevin and Day know this?

Ian’s gonna go out 8-0 unless Ratcole decides to throw a pity vote. 

Ratcole really should try to get The House to give Tyler votes and give him one herself so that it’s a tie and Dani has to be the ultimate decider publicly but no one wants things to be fun so it won’t happen.

• Love 6
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

Ian’s gonna go out 8-0 unless Ratcole decides to throw a pity vote. 

Ratcole really should try to get The House to give Ian votes and give him one herself so that it’s a tie and Dani has to be the ultimate decider publicly but no one wants things to be fun so it won’t happen.

that would be amaaaaaaaazing. 

but we can't have nice things

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

I can see where David has reason to keep Ian. What is the reason for Kevin now? The only thing they gain by keeping Ian is creating the shake up but ultimately everything is really only dependent on the next HOH. Either way Kevin is a sitting duck.  Ian spent all day trashing Kevin and saying his target was Da'vonne. Do Kevin and Day know this?

Out of the outsiders David is least likely to keep Ian remember he thinks Ian is the mastermind and Day manipulated Dani in putting one of her own lol.

I think for Day & Kevin it comes down to out of Ian and Tyler would hurt the core group the most. I think they realize they don't have the votes to keep Ian because of David. Though they might be able to flip Nicole. Also, they think there is a chance Tyler works with them vs Ian who won't work with them cus of Nicole. 

I don't think Day or Kevin know that Ian has been trashing them. 

35 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Wait ... what???   I thought new school would require ... insist on ... 8-0.  

Now if we are playing by pre-school rules .... we will only see ‘stars’.  🙄

It happened in the original All-Stars too. 😞 I remember the night before Jase went home the vote looked like it was about to flip to vote out Will, but Marcellus wouldn't flip. 

1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

Nicole said "Good morning" and the feeds went to STARS. I guess things got too sensitive for feed viewers.

Is Bay the new button girl?

• LOL 4

I felt really bad about Dom's twitter meltdown last night. A twitter "spoiler" said that it was triggered when CBS contacted Dom to do a home segment and asked if it was okay to include questions about Dani and Cody. 

Every marriage is different but Dani's neediness about Cody is definitely problematic, to use one of her favorite words. I'm not sure it's sexual and not sure she'd actually cheat on Dom. But when your husband is holding down the fort with your small child and he fires up the feeds and sees Dani begging Cody to stay in her HoH room ... 

I also think Dani is lowkey jealous of Nicole and Victor and Tangela and how they've really been able to monetize their relationships. She can't do that with Dom because she says he does not really like Big Brother and it's her obsession, not his. He tweets mostly about basketball.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

I felt really bad about Dom's twitter meltdown last night. A twitter "spoiler" said that it was triggered when CBS contacted Dom to do a home segment and asked if it was okay to include questions about Dani and Cody. 

Every marriage is different but Dani's neediness about Cody is definitely problematic, to use one of her favorite words. I'm not sure it's sexual and not sure she'd actually cheat on Dom. But when your husband is holding down the fort with your small child and he fires up the feeds and sees Dani begging Cody to stay in her HoH room ... 

I also think Dani is lowkey jealous of Nicole and Victor and Tangela and how they've really been able to monetize their relationships. She can't do that with Dom because she says he does not really like Big Brother and it's her obsession, not his. He tweets mostly about basketball.

I thought this tweet set off his meltdown 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fallacy said:

Totally agree. I don't think it's a case of Memphis being racist at all. Though, if I was one of those poor Cajuns, I might take exception

Nothing to do with BB but kind of does. My brother was on assignment in Louisiana last week. He said an older white guy was telling him a story and kept referring to a really nice "colored" girl. My brother asked should he be offended. In the end we just laughed and said that's progress in 2020 because who knows what term he may have been comfortable using a few years ago. 

Back to Big Brother. I'm so afraid for tonight's HOH comp. I just no someone I deeply dislike (Xmas or Cody) is going to win. Has anyone been talking about throwing?

• Love 2
Just now, keke23 said:

Totally agree. I don't think it's a case of Memphis being racist at all. Though, if I was one of those poor Cajuns, I might take exception

Nothing to do with BB but kind of does. My brother was on assignment in Louisiana last week. He said an older white guy was telling him a story and kept referring to a really nice "colored" girl. My brother asked should he be offended. In the end we just laughed and said that's progress in 2020 because who knows what term he may have been comfortable using a few years ago. 

Back to Big Brother. I'm so afraid for tonight's HOH comp. I just no someone I deeply dislike (Xmas or Cody) is going to win. Has anyone been talking about throwing?

Memphis and Xmas have been talking to each other about throwing it, but who knows lol.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

You spend much time down around the Louisiana bottomlands, and you’ll hear “Coonass” fairly frequently - but it’s a Cajun reference, not a black/AA reference.  Any pejorative association would be more along the lines of “dirt farmer” or “country hick” - or, if you’re wanting to get nasty about it, “white trash”.

Hmm... ok. I don’t live in Louisiana, so I can’t argue with this. I will say I have heard the term as a slur against black people, so who knows what Memphis intended. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about poor Cajun people.

I’m not sure that earns him a total pass, though. It sounds like it has pejorative intent, even in that context. And given his ugly comments about Ian earlier in the week, Grumpy Gramps is not coming across as a beacon of sensitivity. (People need to give that whole “David is a n- “ business a rest, though. Memphis should not be held responsible for any audio clips that require an assist from the listener’s imagination.)

• Love 3

Feeds are back! Tyler and Kevin are working on lunch in the kitchen, while Rocky Top is eating something in a bowl, now wearing his Confederate hat. Enzo is in the living room, panting after excercising with a band. Cody's walking around with a toothbrush in his mouth. Da'Vonne walked through carrying pillows and blankets (?). At first I thought laundry, but they can't go outside.

All cameras on Enzo as he works out with hand-held weights.

From Joker’s:

Thu 12:11 PM PT 12:06 PM BB tells Ian that there are fresh batteries in the SR. Ian: "I changed my batteries already. What are you talking about? I most definitely changed my batteries today. Most definitely changed my batteries."

...wtf?  Has Ian given up on BB, and is now auditioning for a Rain Man sequel???

• LOL 11

I

Feeds are back! Tyler and Kevin are working on lunch in the kitchen, while Rocky Top is eating something in a bowl,

Is it weird that every time I see a HG carrying a bowl and eating something out of it with a fork, I really want to know what they're eating? 

And does Ian know yet that he's going, and that it might be unanimous?  Is he going to be enraged?  

• Love 1

Enzo, tired from the weights, mutters "I used to be able to do that." Christmas is running and clapping her hands. I guess she's is National Constitution Day today.

It looks like Rocky Top is getting up the nerve to go into HOH room. Now Enzo is going for situps. Well this isn't too exciting so I better go back to work.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Cody is spouting frustration to Tyler. He’s mad at Dani for going against his wishes: First with the Tyler nom, then putting up Ian instead of Day.

I've seen it mentioned several times that Cody wanted Dani to put up Day instead of Ian.  Wasn't that impossible because she won the veto and used it on Kevin?  Doesn't that keep her safe from the renom as well?  Kevin was vetoed, David was "safe" due to his power and Day was the veto holder.  The only options Dani had were  The Committee, Enzo or Ian...you'd think he'd be happy that she went with Ian.  Cody really can't handle any adversity at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Rocky Top told David that he is voting for Ian to go because Ian is one of the few people smarter than Rocky Top. David and Da'Vonne are trying to figure out the votes. David said he doesn't want to be one of the few votes.  He said Christmas is voting out Ian and that Christmas is on the bubble. David feels that the only people who wouldn't put him up are him, Da'Vonne, Kevin. He is bitter about people who are skating by, who don't need to win comps so they throw them.

What Da'Vonne was doing earlier - she was bringing her stuff down from the Have Not room. 

5 minutes ago, leocadia said:

I've seen it mentioned several times that Cody wanted Dani to put up Day instead of Ian.  Wasn't that impossible because she won the veto and used it on Kevin?  Doesn't that keep her safe from the renom as well?  Kevin was vetoed, David was "safe" due to his power and Day was the veto holder.  The only options Dani had were  The Committee, Enzo or Ian...you'd think he'd be happy that she went with Ian.  Cody really can't handle any adversity at all.

Cody wanted Day up instead of Tyler after David's power was used. So she wouldn't be able to take anyone off the block. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Is it weird that every time I see a HG carrying a bowl and eating something out of it with a fork, I really want to know what they're eating

Going just by the broadcast show, you'd think the houseguests are continually eating or drinking. Everyone seems to wander around carrying a large cup or glass at all times. And yes, I always want to know what's in the bowl or cup. 

I suppose if my life was filmed I'd appear to spend a fair bit of eating or drinking, usually water. I'm so glad I'm not being filmed. 

Edited by Melina22

Ian is campaigning to Da'Vonne. He said that David told him he would vote for Ian to stay and then shook on it with Ian. She's telling Kevin, instead.  Da'Vonne and David in the Heart room. David is confirming it. Da'Vonne says he can't switch votes at the last minute. But she thinks Nicole is going to vote for Ian to stay, which I'm not sure is the case.

So here's where I sit on the Memphis: Racist Dumbass or Just Dumb Dumbass debate, not that it matters. 

He used a word that contains a slur against black people. The fact that the term is being defended as not racist because it's a regional nickname and that we have to dig for references back to the 1800s in order to the defend it doesn't make it okay. On the surface, it contains a slur against black people. "Oh, but it's not used against black people!" Doesn't matter. "Oh, but intent matters." Yes but no. Words matter. Now do I think that Memphis puts on a white sheet and a pointy cap and leaves burning crosses on people's lawns? No I don't. I also don't think that he would drop the N word in casual conversation. But the fact still remains that probably 80% or more of the audience has no frame of reference for what he said and can only take it at face value. Face value? There's a slur!

It's no different from the post above:

2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Just glad nobody used the word "niggardly". Yet.

Do we know it's a word? Sure. It only ever comes out during debates about racism in an attempt to deflect from a white person being called racist. But it contains a slur, right? Yeah and there's a reason why the word has dropped out of popular usage. Yes, it has a definition. Tell me the last time anyone heard it or used it in casual conversation that didn't have anything to do with race. Come on now. Are we really going to do that?

To finish, because my feet are starting to ache from standing on this soap box, do I think Memphis is racist? Not necessarily. I think he's more ignorant. But that doesn't give him a pass any more than it gives Christmas a pass for the shit that she said or Dani a pass for the shit that she said. I do find it interesting, however, that there is far more support for a white male possibly saying racially charged things than the white women who were throwing out microaggressions like their life depended on it. 

(I now await a person to come back and say "But what about the Maine C*** cat? Or a c*** hound? butbutbut-" Whatever.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

OK, now Da'Vonne is talking with Kevin and Nicole. I think Nicole is actually working with Da'Vonne and Kevin on this. Kevin is asking if David is going to screw them over. He's going to talk with David.

And David announces he is going Alfredo!

By the way "niggardly" is a word. I've seen it in English (as opposed to U.S.) books a lot. I think it means cheap, miserly, stingy, not just in money but in spirit, especially when they don't have to be that way because of poverty but they choose to be that way. I haven't seen it in a racist context, more as describing someone's behavior.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 2

By the way "niggardly" is a word. I've seen it in English (as opposed to U.S.) books a lot. I think it means cheap, miserly, stingy, not just in money but in spirit, especially when they don't have to be that way because of spirit but they choose to be that way. I haven't seen it in a racist context, more as describing someone's behavior.

Yes and my point is that in a North American setting, you don't see or hear it in casual conversation unless someone is debating racism and racist terms hidden in everyday words. It always comes up during these debates in order to excuse a person for using a word that contains a slur. But no one actually uses that word except as an example to say "See! Not racist!". 

• Love 1

Ian started crying so Kevin said he would check with David. He went to David who is pissed that Ian is showing his cards but he wants the blood on Dani's hands. Kevin goes back to Ian and tells him to stop crying and Ian responds wouldn't crying help? So now it looks like it will be 5-3. 

• Useful 1

Now Kevin is talking to Dani, telling her the plan. At first I though he was going to ruin the plan, but actually I think Dani really wants to get Tyler out, but she wants to be forced to by a tied vote.

This is going to be a very interesting vote.

• Love 2

I have no idea what is going on. Kevin goes to Dani and tells him the plan is on and that Dani will break the tie and vote out Tyler, but she can't tell Christmas or Cody per Day's orders. 

It sounds like they maybe they are going back to Nicole's plan? The vote is 5-3 and Nicole blames David for flipping.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Useful 1

So for now Ian and everyone think he has David, Day, Kevin, Nicole with Dani as tie. But Ian also believes he has Cody which no one is supposed to no about so he believes he is now for sure safe.  Nicole will secretly not vote for Ian though - and then say it was David who flipped thereby making David the target of everyone... OR... Enzo throws a hinky and it works like originally planned with Dani breaking the tie and she will blame that all on Nicole... OR... 8-0.... fun times... 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

So for now Ian and everyone think he has David, Day, Kevin, Nicole with Dani as tie. But Ian also believes he has Cody which no one is supposed to no about so he believes he is now for sure safe.  Nicole will secretly not vote for Ian though - and then say it was David who flipped thereby making David the target of everyone... OR... Enzo throws a hinky and it works like originally planned with Dani breaking the tie and she will blame that all on Nicole... OR... 8-0.... fun times... 

The other part of the plan is for Tyler to give David a big hug and thanking him for his vote to keep him lol.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

David's going to need another power...this isn't good for him at all.

At least he sort of screwed up Dani/Nicole plan that didn't make sense to begin with lol by just being David.

Words I thought I would never say a year ago Chris/Bayleigh and Kaysar/his wife are going on a double date this weekend according to Bay's twitter account. 

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Hmm... ok. I don’t live in Louisiana, so I can’t argue with this. I will say I have heard the term as a slur against black people, so who knows what Memphis intended. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about poor Cajun people.

Don't give him too much of a pass. David's bio says he's from Atlanta, which is a lot of things but definitely not Cajun country.