Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: What Happened Last Night?

• Start Topic

Just now watching this episode. (Have not read comments, so forgive me) Some thoughts:

When Bennett was having lunch with Amelia's family, why did he have his leg up/knee bent on the chair? It was bothering me! Amelia and Bennett are so adorable together. 

Woody means well, but I fear that he may stray, as he has done so in his previous relationship. I love Amani! I hope he stays faithful.

Brett's brothers annoy me to no end. Rude and crude. Brett is a sarcastic, arrogant, and obnoxious tool. (His personality reminds me of every "d-bag/ a-hole" character from the 80s movies - think "Pretty in Pink" and "Karate Kid" - LOL) Olivia is such a darling. She deserves SO much better. Damn, those "experts" for matching her with him. Hopefully she will leave this marriage without too much heartbreak so she can move on and meet/marry a wonderful man - someone like Miles. 

Speaking of...can we clone Miles? LOL. I just adore him. Karen continues to bother me. No sure exactly why though. Maybe because she comes off as so self-centered. Girl, this is not all about you. Consider your husband! So much for her bs about being a submissive wife. 

Christina is a snob about traveling. Most of her international traveling is due to her career.  Her bragging about her high class treatment irked me. She belittles him too much...unbelievably disrespectfully. LET IT GO about him not traveling out of the country. Henry seems like a real drip (as my grandma used to say), but deserves respect. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Archer27 said:

Christina is a snob about traveling. Most of her international traveling is due to her career.

I’m actually quite shocked that someone who travels for work in what is likely rather uncomfortable and tiring environment, is excited about travel. I have travelled the world and not as a flight attendant, as a tourist and as a business traveler.  My cross continent travel has been mostly business/first class. And I absolutely HATE travel. I avoid it at any cost and find nothing exciting about it. It’s absolutely exhausting, big cities around the world start to look alike, you can still get food related illnesses at 5 star hotels and restaurants and it just plain sucks. I can’t even imagine how much I’d hate it if I were a flight attendant. Ugh.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 8/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, Boo Boo said:

Hi neighbor!  I'm in the Frederick area and not that far from MoCo!

Awwww I’m a 10 year Frederick MD survivor! Or should I say veteran. Currently a Florida resident and loving it. I also giggled when Henry was talking about Northern VA. It was the place to go for weekend getaways unless it was winter and you wanted snow in which case we always went west into PA and WV. But still funny!

• Love 3

As a pasty white girl with beyond baby fine hair - I must admit my huge jealousy of the "don't have to think about mucking with your hair for a week" braids.  Dang, I only wish.  If I make a pony tail it's more of a rat-tail.

As far as Bennet and Amelia sitting on one foot, I have to admit, I am nearly 50 and do the same thing.  Habit.   I do hope for the best for these two.  They really seem quite adorable.  Pukey mustard night dress aside.  (I think that would have made my girly bits retreat), but he really is a handsome guy.  

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, ShowFan said:

Awwww I’m a 10 year Frederick MD survivor! Or should I say veteran. Currently a Florida resident and loving it. I also giggled when Henry was talking about Northern VA. It was the place to go for weekend getaways unless it was winter and you wanted snow in which case we always went west into PA and WV. But still funny!

Hi former neighbor!  At some point I'll probably move from here in retirement and every now and then I think about having a pool in my backyard in Florida!  Maryland is def. not retiree friendly.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

I was also pleasantly struck by how they are literally "in tune," and hum/sing/identify each other's songs in a playful way.  (She plays in a band after all, and I am guessing he must be musical too.) I expected to be completely bugged by that but it seems so natural with the two of them.  I'm increasingly convinced that they may already have been dating and are pretending to have barely met.

Bennett is in the band.

12 hours ago, Archer27 said:

Christina is a snob about traveling. Most of her international traveling is due to her career. 

I'm pretty sure Christina's regular travel is a commuter route between Podunk and NO Lakefront airport. She may have dead headed a couple of times on other flights on other planes which are much bigger and nicer than the ones she flies regularly and thinks that that makes her an international traveler.

• Love 2
On 8/5/2020 at 6:19 PM, rebel2u said:

Haven't read the comments but... Henry's dad seems like an asshole.  If you want to tell mean, embarrassing stories, tell them about yourself. 

I totally agree.  Dad doesn't seem to even like his son much.  He's not someone I'd want to spend much time around

• Love 11
On 8/7/2020 at 7:28 PM, ShowFan said:

But it’s awesome how different was Amelia when Bennett whipped out that sleep dress...which...btw...all so had a stain and was a terrible color (I’m not claiming to be as morally elevated as Amelia) 

And when she came to bed in basically a plaid flannel onsie, I figured they might just do well together. 

16 hours ago, ShowFan said:

I noticed that too!!

Her body language throughout was telling.  When they were sitting at their table at the reception, during the toasts, she was leaning away from him.

• Useful 1
On 8/8/2020 at 7:34 AM, OnTime said:

There have been 10 seasons with 34 marriages, 9 still married and 25 divorces.

Although I would asterisk two of those divorces. Both Courtney and Jason and Tom and Lillian were married well past the expiration date of people who chose to stay married but divorced post show. I think they deserve to be considered successful matches even though it didn’t work out long term.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Although I would asterisk two of those divorces. Both Courtney and Jason and Tom and Lillian were married well past the expiration date of people who chose to stay married but divorced post show. I think they deserve to be considered successful matches even though it didn’t work out long term.

huh, I thought a successful marriage was one that endured for many years.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, shok said:

I'm pretty sure Christina's regular travel is a commuter route between Podunk and NO Lakefront airport.

I'd agree, since she hasn't been at it very long.

9 hours ago, shok said:

She may have dead headed a couple of times on other flights on other planes which are much bigger and nicer than the ones she flies regularly and thinks that that makes her an international traveler.

In my book, any American whose list of places visited outside the country includes Iceland qualifies as an international traveler.

Years ago when I was around 26, I went on date with a man who, like Christina, rattled off all the countries he had traveled to (mostly for his job, so there is that). He asked me which countries I had been to...Canada a few times, Mexico a couple of times, and Bermuda. He mocked me in that same arrogant way Christina did to Henry. I was embarrassed, so I felt for Henry. Not everyone has the means to travel or a career which affords them opportunities. 

I saw on the previews of this season, maybe after Unfiltered that it seems one couple many have ended their marriage earlier than the 8 weeks. But, of course that may be the usual MAFS bs editing.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, cinsays said:
20 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

If there are divorce papers, they are in the "divorced column"! Jason and Tom have both gotten remarried, which didn't seem to take either one of them too much time after getting divorced.

Shawniece and Jept are in the "married column" even though they might not be a successful match.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, cinsays said:

Well, Jason and Courtney were married five years, so to me that is "many" years. I wouldn't put the divorce on the experts for a poor match. I would still consider this a successful match even though they ultimately divorced. Tom and Lily was shorter (14 months), but to me, that was also a successful match. I'm not arguing about who is divorced, but just that I would include these two as successes for the show.

• Love 4
On 8/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, ShowFan said:

I noticed that too!!

She was making amply sure no one suspected anything happened.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:06 PM, Archer27 said:

Years ago when I was around 26, I went on date with a man who, like Christina, rattled off all the countries he had traveled to (mostly for his job, so there is that). He asked me which countries I had been to...Canada a few times, Mexico a couple of times, and Bermuda. He mocked me in that same arrogant way Christina did to Henry. I was embarrassed, so I felt for Henry. Not everyone has the means to travel or a career which affords them opportunities. 

I saw on the previews of this season, maybe after Unfiltered that it seems one couple many have ended their marriage earlier than the 8 weeks. But, of course that may be the usual MAFS bs editing.

I've been to Canada, Mexico but If I travel there are too many places here in the USA I want to visit before I go anywhere else.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 2:12 AM, Adeejay said:

A poster up thread said that Henry isn’t  very nice. Based on the fact that he hasn’t really said or done anything so far, I am wondering how they arrived at that conclusion. Henry specifically told “the experts” that he prefers a woman who is petite. The first thing he said when he saw Christina was, “wow; she is really tall.”  He doesn’t appear to be trying because he probably isn’t attracted to her. Plain and simple.

In my opinion not trying = not very nice.  The whole point of the "experiment" is to try, even if you're not feeling it originally.  Not trying before you even get to the honeymoon says self-centered jerk to me - a nice person would maybe realize that the spouse might feel awkward too, and try for that reason alone.

• Love 3
On 8/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, spunky said:

The braids are a protective style to keep her hair safe from all the elements. The length of time depends on the style and how quickly the stylist can braid, so anywhere from 45 mins -2 hours. It also depends on whether or not two people were braiding her hair at the same time. Amani’s definitely needed two people to get hers done as she had micro box braids which take even longer.

Some consider it bad luck to have two sets of hands in your head at once. 

I only just watched the episode because it’s back on tonight. Henry’s father is an insufferable asshole. He’s probably the reason his son is so strange and withdrawn. Why speak at all when everything you say or do will be mocked? 

I love Amani and Woody. I hope they make it. Bennett and Amelia are growing on me as well, though I hate the singing. I have hope for Miles and Karen but the other two couples are blah. Olivia’s husband is not sincere. Christina is stuck up and Henry needs to take a page from Woody and seek counseling. 

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 5
On 8/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, Stella Rose said:

Did you have the giant champagne glass hot tub???  I saw that in a catalogue when I was about 5 and have coveted it ever since.  Even with the red shag and mirrored ceilings!

I am almost sure we have the Poconos discussion every season.  I went there on my honeymoon 40 years ago.  They didn't have the champagne glass tubs yet but we did have a heart shaped one.  We went back on our 10th anniversary and had the champagne glass, though.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, ShowFan said:

US population is not going down. The growth rate is going down. Overall population is going up, just slower than it did before. After peaking around 2014-2015, growth rate is now around half a percent. Still growing 

I believe the US population might be growing more from immigration than births.  At the very least the census has predicted that US population will decline without immigration.  So there are arguments on both sides on this.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, gonecrackers said:

Christina is trying to get Henry excited about traveling with her (or just have some kind of reaction), but he's clearly not interested. I don't think he's interested in her at all or traveling in general. He seems to be a set-in-his-stay-close-to-home-&-what-he-knows kind, which is fine, but that's not for her - horrible match. I also am feeling like he never wanted to do this show at all, but that his friend (whatever her name was that came with him to the initial interviews) set this up for him, & the show chose him to give everyone someone to talk about. Sucks really.

Christina is acting amused at his lack of experience like she likes the idea of being the one to introduce him to all these new experiences, but I fear he may just be that much of a stick in the mud and no amount of patience is going to draw him out.  Plus she may not be the ideal person to achieve this with him.  We'll see.  Then again she says that but then looks at him like he's some kind of rube, not someone to respect, so that doesn't bode well either.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, Neurochick said:

Confused.  I understood everything he said.  He was speaking English, then again I have closed captions.

I've come to the conclusion that a fair number of the men on this show mumble and slur their words a lot.  Woody is one.  Jephte from a few seasons ago is another - Basement Ryan was another.  I needed closed captioning for all of them and I normally don't need it at all.  I'm sure there are more I'm not remembering.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:12 AM, Adeejay said:

A poster up thread said that Henry isn’t  very nice. Based on the fact that he hasn’t really said or done anything so far, I am wondering how they arrived at that conclusion. Henry specifically told “the experts” that he prefers a woman who is petite. The first thing he said when he saw Christina was, “wow; she is really tall.”  He doesn’t appear to be trying because he probably isn’t attracted to her. Plain and simple.

Non-verbal communication can tell a lot about a person and I think Henry's is not making him look that good, unfortunately.  If he were just a shy, nice guy he would at least crack a smile or show some concern toward his new bride (think of Austin from last season).  If he is THAT riddled with anxiety that he can't think of anyone but himself he is likely full of dysfunction, which can't be good for a romantic relationship.  He can't be "nice" if he's always preoccupied with himself.  Plus I don't think Christina realizes that she's only making him worse by not saying things to put him at ease.  Olivia has the kind of personality that could possibly help him in that regard.

• Love 3
On 8/8/2020 at 2:26 AM, JapMo said:

I think they are a cute couple but I've had this nagging feeling since the wedding that they knew each other a lot better than just talking for a few minutes at a party.  There was something about Bennett's friends' reactions when they saw her.  To me they looked shocked and kind of like uh oh....you guys already know each other...that's against the rules.  

On 8/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, JapMo said:

Just thought of this possible theory......maybe when Bennett & Amelia first applied for the show, they didn't know each other, but during the vetting process they met innocently somewhere else and maybe not dated but did hang out, possibly with Bennett's friends.  They had both already committed to the show so they weren't looking for anyone else during that stretch of time before being selected.  Meanwhile they were off-the-charts compatible and the show was ecstatic.  Then the bombshell at the wedding that they did know each other.   The show didn't want to give up on such a great match so they allowed them to go through with the wedding...just not tell the audience the whole truth about how well they knew each other.

I've had the same feeling and have posted very similar theories in the spoiler/speculation thread so if you want to talk about this more, have a look over there.  Also, someone else posted about how suspicious it looked that Amelia's little niece rushed up to him at the reception with a level of familiarity one wouldn't expect if she'd never met him before, especially by calling him "Uncle Bennett".

• Love 1

On 8/9/2020 at 5:06 PM, Archer27 said:

I could see the bemused look on her face and quasi-internal eye roll, but did she really openly "mock" him?  I didn't see that happen.  That scene was so heavily edited that I don't believe the spin they were trying to create there so my jury is out on how she really reacted.

24 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I only just watched the episode because it’s back on tonight. Henry’s father is an insufferable asshole. He’s probably the reason his son is so strange and withdrawn. Why speak at all when everything you say or do will be mocked? 

I know, ITA, and I'm surprised there weren't more comments on this.  While I think some of Henry's father's comments were producer-encouraged, I do think there's enough evidence to show that Henry has been damaged by his father's attitude toward him in a way that accounts for his mortifyingly withdrawn behavior.  Who wouldn't be?  I feel sorry for him.  Then again this doesn't exactly make him good relationship material.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, OnTime said:

I think Henry is getting a bad edit.

Maybe he isn't the best personality for this show and that could have been exactly why they picked him.  Was he casted for the "nice guy" role after the hot mess of Brandon and Michael?  I don't trust the producers. 

I think he is getting a bad edit. But I also noticed that during his interviews before the wedding, he was much more vocal. He was still shy and a little awkward, but he gave detailed answers to the producers‘ questions and seem fairly comfortable in front of the camera. Now with his wife, he gives one word answers, he’s monotone, and of course there’s no eye contact. I think Henry has a pathological level of social anxiety. He needs therapy, not a reality show marriage. And of course that’s why he was picked. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Some consider it bad luck to have two sets of hands in your head at once. 

I love Amani and Woody. I hope they make it. Bennett and Amelia are growing on me as well, though I hate the singing. I have hope for Miles and Karen but the other two couples are blah. Olivia’s husband is not sincere. Christina is stuck up and Henry needs to take a page from Woody and seek counseling. 

You learn something new everyday.  I had no idea some people believe it's bad luck to have two seats of hands in your head at once. 

Poor Henry may have been traumatized by his father's behavior.  His father swears he's funny, when he's just a jerk. Woody may need to refer him to his therapist.  Christina is giving me serious Katie vibes. My Trini people would diagnose her with "Never thought", because it seems like she never thought she would be where she is today .

• Love 1

I’m kinda thinking Henry is just shell-shocked at the moment and is way out of his comfort zone but I think he’ll relax after getting in to the groove a little if Christina lets him be himself and walk all over him. 
If I had a dad like Henry’s I think I would be very withdrawn just to protect myself. He’s kind of a shithead. 

1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m kinda thinking Henry is just shell-shocked at the moment and is way out of his comfort zone but I think he’ll relax after getting in to the groove a little if Christina lets him be himself and walk all over him. 
If I had a dad like Henry’s I think I would be very withdrawn just to protect myself. He’s kind of a shithead. 

I'm hoping he'll relax as well but have my reservations on whether that will happen given how awkward and cringeworthy their interactions have been so far.  She hasn't found the way to make him feel at ease yet and given her personality I worry it won't happen.