Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: Back on the Hump

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, chewycandy said:

However, that incident with Che wasn’t even on the show. We weren’t subjected to it. 

I'm glad to have been made aware of it though.  It's helpful in understanding her current behavior when looking back and seeing how she reacted to previous situations in her life.  For example, in the episode where the ladies were at that outdoor lunch and she really lost her shit, she started out by telling us that she'd had some issue with a guy she was dating (the one she sent the picture to - I can't remember the details), but when he didn't want to see her that's when she spiraled out of control.  I remember thinking that it was odd that she'd let a seemingly benign situation make her lose it like that.  Reading that she went off the rails about another guy helps to put things into perspective for me.  I'm seeing a pattern with her and it's not pretty!   

• Love 19
On 8/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, Neurochick said:

Maybe, but I think a lot of shit gets put on menopause that has nothing to do with menopause, and this is from someone who's going through, or has been through it. 

Everyone's menopause is different. I am a complete mess. 

• Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

She can't just let go and enjoy the moment.  She's too on guard.  She has too much anger --- see Ramona's Hamptons party.  She got drunk and then super angry.  It's like she has the wrong energy for this group.

Even Bethenny would let go and enjoy the moment - remember that party in the Bluestone Manor (basement?) where they were all dancing on pool tables and Bethenny put it all on Instagram?  I can't imagine Leah letting go with them like that.  She's too insecure around these women or something.  

Age is part of the issue, but it's something else.  Tinsley was able to party with these women.  Jules didn't really "party" with them but she didn't really change the energy of the group in a bad way the way Leah does.  It's like Leah always reads the room wrong and then goes sideways.  It's almost impressive how she does it.  

With another group, on another show, maybe Leah would be totally fine and "fit in".

I didn't like that episode at all,  and thought I was going to hate her going forward.  But I generally like her.  Is she too vulgar at times, sure.  But so was Beth.  I think a lot of what we were seeing is amped up so she can stay, but most of the cast are amping it up.  

I think she has some good talking heads.   I liked that she told Dorinda she was wrong even though Dorinda wasn't having it.  I think she'll settle in and be great next season!

I totally get why people may not like her, but I think she's pretty much fitting in except age.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I didn't like that episode at all,  and thought I was going to hate her going forward.  But I generally like her.  Is she too vulgar at times, sure.  But so was Beth.  I think a lot of what we were seeing is amped up so she can stay, but most of the cast are amping it up.  

I think she has some good talking heads.   I liked that she told Dorinda she was wrong even though Dorinda wasn't having it.  I think she'll settle in and be great next season!

I totally get why people may not like her, but I think she's pretty much fitting in except age.

I agree that Bethenny was vulgar. That’s why I didn’t like her either. It is not entertaining.

• Love 9
On 8/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

She can't just let go and enjoy the moment.  She's too on guard.  She has too much anger --- see Ramona's Hamptons party.  She got drunk and then super angry.  It's like she has the wrong energy for this group.

Even Bethenny would let go and enjoy the moment - remember that party in the Bluestone Manor (basement?) where they were all dancing on pool tables and Bethenny put it all on Instagram?  I can't imagine Leah letting go with them like that.  She's too insecure around these women or something.  

Age is part of the issue, but it's something else.  Tinsley was able to party with these women.  Jules didn't really "party" with them but she didn't really change the energy of the group in a bad way the way Leah does.  It's like Leah always reads the room wrong and then goes sideways.  It's almost impressive how she does it.  

With another group, on another show, maybe Leah would be totally fine and "fit in".

Totally agree, good assessment of the Leah situation.

It’s obvious she dislikes certain “types” of people, as in, the type of ladies Ramona likes to hang out with, and the type of men (very rich) Ramona, Sonja, Lu are trying to snag.  Leah is behaving as the peanut gallery, she’s there to yank Ramona’s chain and make it clear, she’s not fond of her crowd.  Leah went into that party at Ramona’s friends house (was it Joe?) and Ramona’s birthday party with the goal of making it clear it’s not her crowd and she’s not having it.  Now, Sonja and Dorinda were doing the same thing...but they know Ramona well.  Why did Leah go into these situations as if she couldn’t bare another ladies who lunch activity, knowing that’s kind of what these shows are about?  Is it her storyline, or a personal grudge?  

Tinsley fit in more, for many reasons, because Tinsley’s mother, Dale...she is a part of the ladies who lunch.  She really did seem like the little sister to some of these ladies.  

That spa “Wall st bath and spa 88” that Leah loves, is the last place Ramona, Sonja, Lu, Tinsley would choose to go for spa day.  One of my homes (apartment in this case) is actually near Wall St.  This spa is not on Wall St, it’s a few streets away, it’s in on Fulton St, which I avoid like the plague.  I only go to Fulton to my pharmacy or to the subway.  It’s a filthy street, and when you walk by that spa, it looks like you could catch something in there.  Gross.  I was shocked when they filmed there.  Leah is just so different.  I think that’s okay, but it’s why she’s not as in sync with the “ladies who lunch” crowd. 

I would like Leah better if she wasn’t such a “try hard” to seem as if she’s cool.  It’s not that she’s “downtown” it’s because sometimes she acts like a jerk.  If she let go, she would be funnier and more pleasant to watch.  Bethenny, Carole, Kristin, Kelly,  and others lived downtown and other neighborhoods that were not Upper East side.

Edited by IKnowRight
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, IKnowRight said:

That spa “Wall st bath and spa 88” that Leah loves, is the last place Ramona, Sonja, Lu, Tinsley would choose to go for spa day.  One of my homes (apartment in this case) in near Wall St.  This spa is not on Wall St, it’s in on Fulton St, which I avoid like the plague.  I only go to Fulton to my pharmacy or to the subway.  It’s a filthy street, and when you walk by that spa, it looks like you could catch something in there.  Gross.  I was shocked when they filmed there.  Leah is just so different.  I think that’s okay, but it’s why she’s not as in sync with the “ladies who lunch” crowd. 

I wouldn't like that spa either.  And I'm not rich at all, or a lady who lunches.  LOL.  It just WOULD NOT be my scene.  I'm just kind of a princess who would never go camping and would rather go to a hotel.  So yeah, I agree. They're like oil and water.

3 minutes ago, IKnowRight said:

I would like Leah better if she wasn’t such a “try hard” to seem as if she’s cool.  It’s not that she’s “downtown” it’s because sometimes she acts like a jerk.  If she let go, she would be funnier and more pleasant to watch.  Bethenny, Carole, Kristin, Kelly,  and others lived downtown and other neighborhoods that were not Upper East side.

Good point.  I definitely see what you mean with regards to Bethenny and Carole especially.  They were seamlessly fitting in with Ramona and Sonja even though every single one of these women is wildly different from one another.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wouldn't like that spa either.  And I'm not rich at all, or a lady who lunches.  LOL.  It just WOULD NOT be my scene.  I'm just kind of a princess who would never go camping and would rather go to a hotel.  So yeah, I agree. They're like oil and water.

I think Leah chose that spa to make the ladies uncomfortable...to get a reaction. We have money, but not F**k you money, and I wouldn’t even dream if walking in that place! There are many nice spas/places to go that are not Upper East side. You know those ladies held their noses to film in there, just so they wouldn’t miss camera time.  You would literally not consider it if you went by the entrance, that’s for sure.   FYI, If you watch Bravo’s Summer house, Kyle and Amanda have an apartment a few doors up the street.  

• Love 6

I've seen worse streets than Fulton St, so I'm not opposed to the location. I find it annoying whenever these ladies start clutching their pearls about heading downtown. Spa 88 looks exactly how I pictured it. That street has been under scaffolding for so long that I didn't even know it was open. 

But it's Leah's spot, so whatever. I'll compare it to that bar they used to go to to pick up men. The Regency? Not comparing it in quality, but I'm sure to others it's probably meh, but they love it. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 1

We do have to see Ramona ditching the ladies for a date in practically every episode. It’s getting old. 

At this point, I think there's repetitive stuff from all of them, including Leah. 

By the ninth/tenth episode,  she'd already established her pattern: behave badly, act indignant when called out, act out even further, give a talking head blaming the person she aggressed against.  Same shit, different episode. 

And I say that having liked her initially, but the Leah Loop set in so fast, I can predict what she'll do in every situation. And since her reactions are a mix of the worst RHoNY tropes  (get drunk, scream, behave badly,  be snarky in a talking head to cover your messy ass, show no self awareness, take no responsibility ) it doesn't feel fresh.  It's like they cloned her, instead of found her.

But I'm glad you enjoy her (genuine, not snide) because in this hot and brutal summer of Covid,  it's been a 'mindless' tv loss for me watching RHoNY go rinse/repeat.  Of all years, this is the season I wish the new cast member had brought something new.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 21
On 8/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, njbchlover said:

Lu: I’m pretty good at volleyball. Then she hits the ball into the net, gets smacked in the face and lands on her ass. That was funny! 

So perfect. Lu gets instant vacation karma. I recall she was being her particularly unbearable self on the trip when the camel bucked her too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

I've seen worse streets than Fulton St, so I'm not opposed to the location. I find it annoying whenever these ladies start clutching their pearls about heading downtown. Spa 88 looks exactly how I pictured it. That street has been under scaffolding for so long that I didn't even know it was open. 

But it's Leah's spot, so whatever. I'll compare it to that bar they used to go to to pick up men. The Regency? Not comparing it in quality, but I'm sure to others it's probably meh, but they love it. 

Of course there are worse streets in Manhattan than Fulton, but how often do we see these ladies in the less than posh areas?  They griped going to see Alex in Brooklyn.  Sonja griped going downtown to meet Cindy B. They seem okay with Cipriani’s on Wall St though.  If these were “regular people” with limited pocket change, they wouldn’t be selected for the show.  Leah is like the Brandi on RHONY.  Yes, the Regency on Park Avenue, is in a much nicer area.  It’s just a bar/hotel, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t feel a need to scrub in an antiseptic bath when I return home from any of their typical destinations.  I’ve been to the Regency a few times with my husband, it’s fine, it’s clean.  I wouldn’t try to avoid that area, the way I go out of my way to avoid Fulton. Fulton/John are very dirty in comparison.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, AryasMum said:

These women are aged 37-63. There is no excuse for their ignorance in thinking a vagina can be seen without spread legs and a speculum.  Have they never heard of labia or vulva?  Know your damn parts, ladies!

Aah, a fellow tilter at windmills.

But in this case, I'm thinking maybe Leah was using the word correctly, and it's just a case of Ramona rudely interrupting her path to get there.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, chewycandy said:

Lu says her Spanish is terrible but I’m surprised at how much she does know and how she kept attempting it with the staff.

Luann called the breakfast dish "huevos a las rancheros."  It's huevos rancheros.  So that part was terrible, anyway.  But her French, from this non-French-speaking person's perspective, much more than makes up for it.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, Bluesky said:

That type of stomach that goes up to her boobs is not menopause.  Menopause can give women extra fat around the lower middle.  She has that distended bloat look, almost like a man’s beer belly.  

That's why I think it's a combination of menopot and alcohol. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:05 PM, ichbin said:

To suggest that the hormonal changes during menopause cannot possibly be a contributing factor if someone going through it is displaying a change in emotions or behavior is essentially ignoring science. Hormone replacement therapies aren't just for hot flashes. We don't know if this is or is not a reason for Dorinda's actions, but it could certainly be within the realm of possibility. 

I haven't noticed menopause causing women to slur their words.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Double A said:

So perfect. Lu gets instant vacation karma. I recall she was being her particularly unbearable self on the trip when the camel bucked her too.

I think Lu is probably fairly good at volleyball and what we saw were the few times she really flubbed it. One should be careful about bragging in front of Bravo production because they are sure to put together a ménage  of shots to make one look foolish.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, Boo Boo said:

So who are the people here that, like me, like Leah?

"Like" is way too strong for a HW rookie but Leah is great contrast to the others and these franchises need freshening up. I would have liked to see more Tinsley with her. The deadly second season will be the true test tho.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, film noire said:

But I'm glad you enjoy her (genuine, not snide) because in this hot and brutal summer of Covid,  it's been a 'mindless' tv loss for me watching RHoNY go rinse/repeat.  Of all years, this is the season I wish the new cast member had brought something new.

No worries! For as many times as I defend her, I don’t think she rounds out the cast absolutely perfectly. I think watching her and Tinsley together for more episodes would have been more entertaining. I miss Tins. 

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Luann called the breakfast dish "huevos a las rancheros."  It's huevos rancheros.  So that part was terrible, anyway. 

I know a lot of Spanish and honestly, I was surprised she knew that, and is able to converse, albeit very basically. She can understand French, Italian, and Spanish—impressive. It was better than Ramona screaming “hola! hola!” At dinner 😛

• Love 12

Aah, a fellow tilter at windmills.

But in this case, I'm thinking maybe Leah was using the word correctly, and it's just a case of Ramona rudely interrupting her path to get there.

Luann called the breakfast dish "huevos a las rancheros."  It's huevos rancheros.  So that part was terrible, anyway.  But her French, from this non-French-speaking person's perspective, much more than makes up for it.

That's why I think it's a combination of menopot and alcohol. 

Swear to Valhalla, I am even slurring my words as a symptom of dry mouth due to freakin, menopause.

• LOL 3

I don't slur my words, I simply forget them!  

5 minutes ago, chewycandy said:

I miss Tins. 

I thought the show was a little more entertaining with Tinsley.  She brought a pleasant energy to the bunch that is sorely missed.  

• Love 20

If Moaner liked Meah, and Slurinda was uncunty, there would be no storyline this season. It is time to recast with some women that actually have something interesting going on in their lives. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, janiema said:

I think Lu is probably fairly good at volleyball and what we saw were the few times she really flubbed it. One should be careful about bragging in front of Bravo production because they are sure to put together a ménage  of shots to make one look foolish.

I think Luann is very familiar with balls of all shapes and sizes.

In fact I bet she got hit in the face by more balls than Yogi Berra.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 10:13 PM, Boo Boo said:

I agree with you 100% on hormonal aspect of menopause.  For me, I had this intense sexual desire (boyfriend was happy about that) also very emotional.  For me, emotional before menopause was just weepy but during the early stage of menopause, I had a couple of incidences where I was very hostile.  Now I'm back to normal emotionally and unfortunately that intense sexual desire has left me.  

I don't think this is what is going on with Dorinda though.  She's 55 and likely already through it already and her hormones settled.  I think what we're seeing is her being in the throes of alcohol addiction.  She could hide it before, but now it's impacting her every day.  Her defensiveness tells me she knows deep down she has a problem but doesn't want to quit.

Me too. It’s a progressive disease. I hope Dorinda gets to the point in which she admits she needs help. I also think she was in a blackout when she had that exchange with Luanne and doesn’t remember a lot of what she said. She was trying to save face the next day. 

This is why I feel uncomfortable watching Leah. I don’t find her drunken antics entertaining. I feel worried for her. I can understand why her mother is upset. 

Agree that Ramona made the mistake I’ve seen many others make: implants are too large and actually make her look matronly and heavy when she really isn’t. I’m not sure what is up with her stomach, but it does look larger.

Sonja must’ve lost 30 pounds of water weight when she dried out after filming LOL! She looks so very different in her THs. Even her voice sounds different to me but maybe that’s because she’s not drunk and yelling? 

Hats off to Luann for having the confidence to play volleyball in her bikini... with strangers. I have never felt that secure. As soon as I get up from my beach towel, I put on a cover-up. Wish this wasn’t the case but it is. I don’t look like Luann either though so there you have it. By the way, I am Luann’s age and not overweight but menopause has NOT been kind to me. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
On 8/8/2020 at 11:51 AM, chewycandy said:

It’s you and me, kid.

Just kidding...there’s got to be a few more (I’m hoping). 
RHONY needs a shake up and I like the addition of her. 

I’ll admit to liking her, although I’m sure her “wasted” behavior is mostly acting for the cameras. 

• Love 3
On 8/9/2020 at 9:59 AM, snarts said:

I think you're forgetting Alex quite willingly taking on the role of Bethenny's messenger in that drama https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-3/episode-9/videos/shoot-the-messenger

...and then doing the same thing during the argument between Ramona & Jill in Morocco and acting so afraid she was shaking during Jill's arrivial to Scary Island https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-3/episode-13/videos/jills-surprise-visit

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder or what?  Alex (& Simon) provided some unintentional comic relief in seasons 1-2 but she was meddling shrew most of seasons 3-4 before thankfully getting the ax. 

i haven't forgotten anything....i stand by my statement...i thought it then and still think it 

• Love 3
On 8/7/2020 at 3:23 PM, ChitChat said:

Leah seems to have some sort of weird need to make a spectacle out of herself while out in public.  I think the same can be said about Dorinda.  Last night's episode was a real eye-opener for me in terms of seeing Dorinda turn an innocent conversation completely around on someone.  She's always done it, but when LuAnn gave us the play-by-play of it in her THs, then it really hit home with me just how often she does it.  I think of this scene in the movie 'The Terminator' when it comes to Dorinda:  The Terminator

"That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."  🙂

Yes!  I don’t understand why they don’t have drunk, racist Dorinda berating the Haitian charity head (in a public restaurant) on loop.  She is a vile, vile drunk who, apparently, can’t see that for herself even If it is all on film!?!

Edited by escatefromny
  • Love 8
On 8/8/2020 at 11:51 AM, chewycandy said:

It’s you and me, kid.

Just kidding...there’s got to be a few more (I’m hoping). 
RHONY needs a shake up and I like the addition of her. 

I like Leah too. She's very smart, articulate, funny & sarcastic. But she needs to rein in the drinking, & you can't just do whatever you want wherever you are. Throwing tiki torches at her age is a bit childish. I do like her though...

• Love 3
On 8/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, dosodog said:

I found it fascinating that Luanne was on with Andy for WWHL, celebrating the anniversary of RHONY.  And they added The Countess and Friends to the opening.  Brought back Jill, Kelly, Kristen, Cindy and I think Heather.

It was almost a Countessapoolza.

I think Ramona's head may have exploded.

I think everyone's head exploded when Luanne had a "before she was a Housewife" special.  I think that was a first and as far as I know, the only one.

• Love 9

Believe me, boys and girls, Luann's French is not good. She sounds more like a Canadian than the Parisienne she imagines herself to be, She's got that banging bod, though. I'd trade my quite good accent (that makes me sound more fluent than I actually am) for that.

Interesting post about Dorinda being in the throes of alcohol addiction. That is probably very true. Sonya should have invited her on the spa cleanse because she looks and sounds great. Hopefully she'll stay that way. I hope they'll address Dorinda's anger and aggressiveness and denial syndrome at the reunion. 

Leah is a pill and I hope she gets swallowed after this season because she's petulant and annoying AF.

• Love 5
On 8/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jules didn't really "party" with them but she didn't really change the energy of the group in a bad way the way Leah does.  It's like Leah always reads the room wrong and then goes sideways.  It's almost impressive how she does it.  

I really enjoyed Jules on the show and was sorry to see her go.  I feel bad she is going through hard times because of her little marshmallow.

• Love 8
On 8/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Leah bonded with Ramona when Ramona said that she rarely goes on a fourth date with a man. Did Ramona admit that men lose interest, or did she imply that she ends it?

I meant to rewind that & watch it again! I felt like the implication was she ends it & moves on to the next victim man.

• Love 2

Also, Luann can be insufferable but I just love how she’s happily throwing herself into the activities on this trip. Ride a camel? Jump into a volleyball game? Dance with a waiter? It’s refreshing. She’s become the Heather Dubrow of this franchise. 

• Love 7
On 8/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, politichick said:

girls, Luann's French is not good. She sounds more like a Canadian than the Parisienne she

Well given she learned it from her mother who is French Canadian that makes sense.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/6/2020 at 10:10 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, that's what I thought.  But when Ramona acts affronted because Leah is like "Pussy pussy pussy" at dinner, Leah says, "What about you, you say Turtle time!"  Seriously?  What do those two phrases have in common?  "Turtle time" sounds like the most innocent thing ever, so how can she compare the two?

I watched the season and I remember all of that, but has Ramona actually explained what the phrase means and how "turtle" comes to be part of it?

I was confused too. It's like when I confront a man about locker room talk and he's like "I heard you say damn!"

I don't need these shows to have rated G conversations and behavior, but I wish we had more classy cast members. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I wish we had more classy cast members. 

But those classy women do not go on reality shows so yeah, there's that.

I know Leah is a foul mouthed. disgusting, preachy person but Ramona acted like she was so above her but we have seen her own brand of disgusting, man crazy, sex starved, insulting behavior so to me it is potato potato with those two women.

I thought Turtle Time was her chant about wanting to go to a bar named The Turtle something or other not as a euphemism for sex.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, biakbiak said:

Well given she learned it from her mother who is French Canadian that makes sense.

I would love to speak any French well, Canadian or otherwise, she does speak it with a lot of confidence. I stumble thru and the French take pity on my language skills and and answer in English, le sigh.

• Like 3