Type keyword(s) to search

International Soccer/Football & UEFA Champions League

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 8:49 AM, Fukui San said:

Is this the right thread to ask why Zidane is stepping down as the manager of Real Madrid? 

The thinking among some pundits is that since Real Madrid is expected to be doing a lot of rebuilding this summer, Zidane didn't want to have to deal with that process. I'm also guessing he didn't want to get into the politics of the Ronaldo and Bale transfer sagas (frankly, I don't blame him on that one). 

It may just be that he didn't see what else he could do at RM after winning three UCLs in a row, which is understandable. 

While I loved having Zidane as RM manager, I get why he left. I wish him well. He is still one of my all-time favorite players.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Hey, so can some one educate me as to the mechanics of moving football players from club to club? Ronaldo gets sold from Real Madrid to Juventus. Who initiated it? Does the player have a say in where he goes? Are there ever true free agents? Trades? Salary caps? Thanks in advance. 

17 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Hey, so can some one educate me as to the mechanics of moving football players from club to club? Ronaldo gets sold from Real Madrid to Juventus. Who initiated it? Does the player have a say in where he goes? Are there ever true free agents? Trades? Salary caps? Thanks in advance. 

Juventus is buying Ronaldo's contract from Real Madrid for a 100m euro transfer fee. This is basically a buyout of the player's current contract from their old club. It is not the player's actual wages. In general, players have a say even if their old club agrees to it. There's more politics for bigger stars. Ronaldo has not been happy for a few years at Madrid and may not be getting along with the President of Real Madrid so they both wanted cash in/out. Ronaldo, his agent, his team of middlemen (lawyers, consultants, whomever) and Juventus all hash out a new contract which will include his actual wages. Juventus will need to pay the one-time transfer fee to Real Madrid and pay Ronaldo at least four times what they are paying their previous most expensive player. New clubs do their research and due diligence before making offers to other clubs. There are no salary caps, only what all parties agree to. You can read this article from the BBC on the basics of it. 

Free agents in football are basically players whose contracts are about to expire. They are allowed to negotiate and talk to new clubs the last six months before their contract expires, usually the January before the summer transfer. Since they will be free agents, there is no transfer fee which means they can sometimes negotiate a better wage because they are saving the new club money. Their old club may not renew/make a new contract for a few reasons: the player had a bad couple of years (injury or whatnot), doesn't get along with their team mates/ management/ coaching, they want save money, and/or buy other players. 

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, ganesh said:

With only Napoli being any real competition for Juve, Ronaldo is going to burn up Serie A. 

True, Serie A is a bit of a step down for him.  Don't get me wrong, I like Juve, but this is at best a lateral move for him.  But he hasn't been happy at Real for awhile and the money's probably going to be phenomenal.  And he'll get away from Spanish tax authorities.

I suppose it's what he wants. He's done all he can at Madrid with trophies all over the place. He'll be in CL with Juve basically every year. Maybe he wants to get titles in as many leagues as he can. I mean, at this point, legacy-wise, he's playing with house money. 

Well, I'm glad Ronaldo's moved on. I didn't want him finishing his career at Real Madrid, but nor did I want United to go and spend stupid money to bring him back. This way, he gets to win a couple of championships in Italy, to further fatten his record.

This also, hopefully, means Real will keep Bale, and save United from wasting money on him instead.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:35 AM, Silver Raven said:

Ada Hergerberg of the Norway national team was awarded the inaugural women's Ballon d'Or, and the guy hosting the event asked her to twerk.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ada-hegerberg-s-historic-moment-overshadowed-twerk-request-n943371?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

I know it's old, but that's not exactly what happened.  He jokingly asked her if she knew how to twerk, allegedly in the context of her being great at everything else.  Now, I'm not saying that was good, either, but it's not quite the outrage some reporting has made it appear.  Hegerberg herself seemed more taken aback to the reaction than to what he actually said.

I don't know if it's that EPL teams have a better mental toughness because the league is better, or the Ajax and Barca just didn't have the mental acuity to play a second leg or what. I have no idea. 

I mean, as stealth as Liverpool was for the fourth goal, there's no way the Barca GK should play a game of pro soccer ever again. He's the single defensive player in charge on a free kick. 

They, whomever "they" are, needs to shut this Super League thing down ASAP. Since its all about $$$ (as some of the bigger clubs are in a deep financial morass due to the Covid), maybe some sort of governmental tax breaks or other incentives would be helpful (given that at least in England both Boris and Prince William (the head of the British FA) are opposed to the Super League, you think they could make this happen). It will kill footie. :(

Congratulations Super League! You have supplanted New Coke as the worst product rollout ever!

(The next ownership meeting in the PL sure is going to be fun!)

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Please tell me someone else is watching these Euro matches today.

Oh yeah, didn't see all of the Spain-Croatia one, but the France-Switzerland match was off the hook.  And Arsenal's own Granit Xhaka was man of the match.  Which he absolutely deserved, because he and his stupid q-tip hair was everywhere.  (Like Xhaka, hate the hair.)  So now I'll be rooting for the Swiss.

If I had done a bracket, the Netherlands' shock loss would've busted it, but this would've as well.

I like most of the teams in the quarterfinals, though I would've preferred the Dutch to the Czechs.  (Nothing against the Czechs, but the Dutch World Cup team in 1998 was my first soccer love.)  Now all I need is England to beat Germany and I'll be happy.  Doesn't matter to me whether Sweden or Ukraine go through; I like them both.

France gave the game away imo. I don't know if France thought the Swiss were just going to quit or what, but once they got into ET France seemed disoriented. I actually like the players, so I'm not trashing them because they're favored or anything, MBappe blew it in ET going with his left foot instead of opening up with the right. I'm curious as to why he went last too. I said before they started he should have gone third. Giroud should have been last. 

I mean, I can't believe not only 3-3, but the way all the goals were scored - long range, header, breakaway. Even the PKs were killer. 

I don't know if Hazard is going to play, but I think winner of Italy/Belgium is the champ. I root for Belgium, again, I like a lot of the players.