Type keyword(s) to search

International Soccer/Football & UEFA Champions League

Athena
  • Start Topic

You have got to be kidding me.

My partner was at the game (we were in Barcelona last week for his life goal of seeing Messi & co. in action). I'm not sure he's come back down to Earth just yet.

We went together to the two games at Camp Nou leading up to the PSG game, and then he saw that one with a friend who lives in France (heh) while I watched in the hotel before our 6 am flight home. The goal differential for the three games we saw was 17-2, but no numbers can even really come close to that PSG game. It was just...wow.

I wouldn't call Sevilla choking. They didn't play well, and dude was an idiot for headbutting someone while on a yellow. Even if they got the PK, they were a man down for 40 more minutes. 

Draws!

Real v Bayern

Barca v Juve

Leicester v Atletico

Dortmund v Monaco

Welp. Leicester are for sure done. They don't have enough quality to beat a team like Atletico.

Meanwhile, Ancelotti can get some revenge against the club that fired him.

Leicester would be an underdog in any of the matchups though. If Schmeichel plays out of his gourd they might have a chance. Atletico aren't known for scoring at will like the others. 

• Love 1

I agree, anything can happen especially where Leicester are concerned. Atletico aren't exactly Barca in terms of free scoring, but they do have a strong defense and a quality striker in Griezmann -- it should be enough for Leicester. But Leicester have defied some big odds before, so Atletico shouldn't be complacent. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

As a Real Madrid fan, I'm happy they made it through to the semifinals, but I can't help wondering if things would've been different if Bayern hadn't had a player sent off in each leg. Real Madrid gets the job done, but they suffer in every game and concede silly goals like today with Sergio Ramos. Real Madrid can play better and that usually happens when the BBC aren't all playing at the same time.

I really hope Real Madrid don't face off against Atlético Madrid yet again. I'm kind of tired of them, lol.

As a Bayern fan, ugh. I'm heartbroken Philip Lahm and Xabi Alonso couldn't end their careers with a Champions League trophy, but luck (and the refs) just weren't on their side yesterday. I guess I'm rooting for Juventus now? Who else is there that it's halfway palatable to root for? Wouldn't it be fun if they won the CL the season after Pogba finally followed the money back to Man U? I'm a petty bitch, it's fine. 

• Love 1

It's crazy everything that had to go wrong to eliminate the US.

This winning Panama goal never crossed the line.

qxwxa5jn5lk7egw4unpj.gif

This double-doink was the winning goal for Honduras.

k9flwozngablhnjaqox3.gif?resize=800,450&

And the two Trinidad and Tobago goals were a clearance shank that just evaded the keeper for an own goal, and a 35 yard prayer that was placed perfected.

If any one of these one in a thousand goals don't go against the US, then they're at least alive for a one game playoff vs. Australia. Crazy. Suffice it to say that the ball did not bounce their way today.

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

This is the reason why USA not qualifying the the last two Olympics is so important. 

Yeah, player development is the weakness of the US program, and this really hurt those young guys who needed to replace the aging dinosaurs this year.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, JustaPerson said:

Oof indeed. The Netherlands not qualifying, I think is a bigger loss but they failed to qualify for the last Euros too so it's not that surprising. At least Messi and Ronaldo will be there?

The Dutch team is a big steaming pile of flaming poop who think they are a world class team while in reality they haven't been in a long time. There doesn't seem to be any interest in looking into why it's going so wrong or admitting that we just don't have the talent right now. Robben is retiring from the national team and there are no big names left.

(I'm Dutch, I have a lot of feelings)

I'm not Dutch though I did vacation in your amazing country earlier this year, and I always root for the Dutch national team in the World Cup so I'm very sad they didn't qualify.  Over the years I've said they were the best team never to win it all and I still believe that.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm not Dutch though I did vacation in your amazing country earlier this year, and I always root for the Dutch national team in the World Cup so I'm very sad they didn't qualify.  Over the years I've said they were the best team never to win it all and I still believe that.

Outside of 1974, which is still traumatic to people my parents age, I think the best chance they had to win a WC was in Italy 1990. That was the group that had won the previous EC and had the likes of Gullit, Van Basten, and Rijkaard playing. That team was destroyed by in-fighting and mismanagement by the coach and the rest of the staff.

I agree that my birth country is the best country to have never won a title and it's a shame. The European title of '88 is still one of the, if not THE, greatest moment in my country's sports history.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

The Dutch team is a big steaming pile of flaming poop who think they are a world class team while in reality they haven't been in a long time. There doesn't seem to be any interest in looking into why it's going so wrong or admitting that we just don't have the talent right now. Robben is retiring from the national team and there are no big names left.

(I'm Dutch, I have a lot of feelings)

They were pretty good in Brazil in 2014.  But I'll agree that the World Cup qualifying campaign was bad.  There should be good young players coming up - there used to be on a regular basis - what's happened?

The groups for the 2018 World Cup are set:

Group A — Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

Group B — Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

Group C — France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

Group D — Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

Group E — Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

Group F — Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Group G — Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

Group H — Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Poor Iceland, they're in something of a Group of Death; the other contender is Group F.  Russia got an easy group, but they probably still won't advance out of the group round because they really are that bad.  England's got a good group for advancement.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Poor Iceland, they're in something of a Group of Death; the other contender is Group F.  Russia got an easy group, but they probably still won't advance out of the group round because they really are that bad.  England's got a good group for advancement.

I was in Iceland when they qualified for the World Cup. I now have a soft spot for them and hope they make it out of Group.

Italy and USA didn't even make the cut, so I only have Portugal to route for this time around.

Let's go Portugal and Iceland ?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

So Manchester City and Liverpool are the only Premier League teams left in the Champions League. I'm curious to see how Manchester City performs - how far they go in the rest of the competition. They haven't done well the few years (save their one semi-final appearance), but with Pep at the helm now, they might have a better shot.

17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Thank you, Liverpool, for vindicating my opinion that you stood a chance of eliminating City.  Now just don't blow it at the Etihad, and you'll be my second favorite Prem club.  For now, anyway.

I was so glad that they won as well. I think Klopp is currently my favourite EPL manager. It use to be Arsene, but not anymore sadly.

I'm a Real Madrid fan, but I actually don't want to see them win the Champions League this season. I can't explain why, but I hope Bayern beats them in the semis. I know it means Zinedine Zidane (whom I've loved since the '98 World Cup final) will lose his job, but two CL titles in a row is enough. Plus, I just don't think they're good enough to win this season. The second leg against Juve is evidence enough of that.

I do think that Liverpool-Bayern would be a great final.

• Love 1
(edited)

Except for Liverpool's display against Roma in the first leg at Anfield, these semi-finals were a mess. I still don't know how Real Madrid are alive in this competition. They've done very little to distinguish themselves over the course of it. Anyway, I think Liverpool should be able to beat Real, but the defenses of these 2 two teams is like mutually assured destruction.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1