Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Roles: They're all Double Agents

I started watching "Felicity" reruns yesterday. Keri Russell is an awesome actress. And she's beautiful. Of course, she's both of those things on "The Americans," but it's nice to know that she didn't just fall into a great role.

I enjoyed Russell (and Andy Griffith) in Waitress. Just a lovely little film, written and directed by Adrienne Shelley, who was murdered shortly before its release.

Wow. That's pretty tragic. But it makes me want to see the movie.

Death Comes to Pemberley, the Jane Austen-related project Matthew filmed for 1 of the BBC channels in the UK, over the hiatus between S1 & S2, will air in the US--as many of us expected/hoped.

It will air on October 26th *&* November 2nd. It will air on PBS' Masterpiece program (formerly Masterpiece Theatre).

Source for this info is a recent Tweet by Entertainment Weekly magazine (aka EW) which leads/led to an article/blurb with the airdate info on their website.

Noah Emmerich was in one of my favorite movies, "Beautiful Girls." Great cast (including a very young Natalie Portman). Directed by Ted Demme. Emmerich played a good, loyal family guy. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed seeing Matthew Rhys, who plays Philip on The Americans, on the ABC tv series, Brothers and Sisters for years.(2006-2011)  It was one of my favorite shows.  He played Sally's Field's character's son, who was a lawyer.  When I first saw him on The Americans, I felt quite comfortable with his character, even though he can be quite violent.  I really think he has grown as an actor since his days on Brothers and Sisters.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758737/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

I also regularly see Richard Thomas, who plays the role of Gaad, on the Hallmark Channel.  He is so familiar to me, due to me watching him throughout my childhood on the Waltons.  Still, it works though.  I like him in this role.  Does he still have that birth mark?  He sure has aged well.  He doesn't appear much different than he did in the 1970's!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001796/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

It's interesting that in both roles he lives in VA.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Annet Mahendru is in The Following with a couple repeat episodes.  I definitely do NOT recommend watching The Following, but I got sucked in and haven't found my way out yet.  She's very different from Nina, but it's a small part.

Finally caught Death Comes to Pemberly on Netflix, and it was a trip to see Clara from Doctor who chatting with Philip. Philip with a British accent, no less. He did a great job, of course, and I really enjoyed the whole show 

even if the killers identity is pretty obvious

I could do to watch MR in more period things. He slips into different places and times very naturally. 

Noah Emerich has a cameo role in Aziz Ansari's Master of None ... as Claire Dane's

husband

. The Americans and Homeland crossover vibes were probably not intended. Not. If anything it shows how good this little show is, check it out on Netflix.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

Noah Emerich has a cameo role in Aziz Ansari's Master of None ... as Claire Dane's

husband

. The Americans and Homeland crossover vibes were probably not intended. Not. If anything it shows how good this little show is, check it out on Netflix.

Love Master of None. Best thing I've seen in a while.

I enjoyed Noah's character in this. So different from Agent Beman!

• Love 1

Somehow I got a bit hooked on The Royals and have decided that Matthew should be on it- only as a guest a few times of course!!  He and Jake Maskall (the King, for now) remind me a lot of each other in several ways.

It's very campy yet dramatic and sad.  I know that he could play the sh*t out of one of their characters (maybe the King's brother) since we've seen him do quick and dark "comic relief" on The Americans. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3597912/

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/the-royals-season-2-review-elizabeth-hurley-e-1201634039/

Happy New Year and March can't get here fast enough.  I have my own version of March Madness and it's

"Soviets" vs. "Americans" and I can't decide who I want to win!!

Edited by crgirl412

Matthew Rhys and Matthew Goode are doing that show about wine that I swear they made up as a joke in an interview once.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/matthew-rhys-and-matthew-goode-have-a-wine-show.html

I swear looking at the picture it looks like Matthew Goode is the still-aristocratic descendant of his Downton Abbey character and that he's brought an actual wino with him to the wine tasting. Matthew Rhys has a Samson-like commitment to cutting any hair during the off-season!

• Love 2

While the UK premiere date is unspecified and US air date has not been announced, we have a forum up for The Wine Show. In any case, it'll probably be timed well that we can watch Matthew between the seasons and good golly, it's good to hear him speak his natural Welsh accent to another good looking Brit.

• Love 3

We rewatched The Truman Show on Netflix this weekend.  It's one of my favorite movies.  I was struck by how Noah Emmerich in that role was secretly "playing" Truman for all those years, when on The Americans, he is the one in the dark/ doesn't know what is really going on with Phillip & Elizabeth.

• Love 2

The first time I watched The Americans I cracked up when Stan brought over beer to Philip because it reminded me so much of The Truman Show. His character in that movie was always suggesting beer, IIRC because it was product placement.

• Love 3

It's crazy since in the Americans he's so beaten down, defeated and a sad sack but in Blindspot he's the MAN- making decisions to shut down programs (the Jane Doe Program) and yelling at his agents!!

I am watching Austenland.  Keri is playing a major Jane Austen geek who devoted her entire life to all things Darcy.  It is a fun movie.  Keri was good in it.  The anti-Elizabeth role.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope this is the correct forum for this post. I recently saw Frank Langella in a couple of other roles and was extremely surprised by a couple of things.

First, if you've never seen the movie, "The Twelve Chairs", you'll really be amazed to see Frang Langella (he is the lead in this movie) in 1970. You would never be able to pick him out if you had only ever seen The Americans. In 1970 he was 32 years old and he was the most incredibly handsome man I've ever seen. It's just amazing. I don't know how to post a picture in this forum or I would. On other forums, I have to open an account on some other board which is used to store pictures and although I did that once, that site was soon closed and they left a message that I had to open an account on another site and I just couldn't be bothered. Sorry.

But you can always go to the IMDB site and look up the movie there. They only have some B&W pictures, but I hope there are some other ways you can see what he looked like back then. Another film he made in 1979 was "Dracula" in which he played a vampire and it was a fairly popular film. You may have seen it. If you did, you likely wouldn't remember the actor in that movie with Frank Langella in The Americans.

The other thing about The  Twelve Chairs is that it was directed by Mel Brooks and is described as "The forgotten Brooks movie". It has a lot of his humor and so there's a good chance you may enjoy it. Brooks also acts in this film. If you do see this movie, there is one scene where a character has to pretend to be an actor and he walks onto the stage of a live play to read his part. I found the result so funny that I had a huge LOL. If you only skim through the movie, I  hope you will watch that scene.

Frank Langella also appears in two other movies that I found were quite wonderful and I'd like to recommend them to you. I really enjoyed these tremendously.

"Dave" (1993) casts him as the lead villian and "Muhammud Ali's Greatest Fight" (2013) was a fascinating historical drama that was almost a documentary explaining how the fighter was stripped of his World Heavyweight title championship because he wouldn't fight in Viet Nam. I never knew all the facts behind the story. But it went up to the US Supreme Court and they initially rejected hearing the case. The reasons why they then heard it and overturned the lower court were truly fascinating - especially if you have any interest in how cases are appealed. Frank Langella plays the Head Justice and does a terrific job. There are many other great actors in this film. I loved it.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 2

I just saw a movie starring Keri Russel called "Waitress" (2007). It's not a very good movie. But I enjoyed it and you may enjoy it too.

It's kind of sweet and sappy. But the one interesting part is that she is pregnant and has a baby daughter and the relationship she has with her daughter is really heart warming to see and reminded me of her relationship with her kids on The Americans.

She has a husband who hits her. He smacks her in the face - more than once. Eventually she tells him to, "get lost" and we never see him again. I would have liked it had they spent more time dealing with the process of his getting kicked out of that marriage. Also, I hated the casting of the husband because they chose an actor who is very hard to believe as a bad guy who would hit his wife. This actor appeared as a good guy in "Six Feet Under". Maybe that was why I could never accept him as a bad guy in this movie.

Anyway, to summarize, it was a sweet by silly movie. However, I really love Keri Russel in The Americans and I was very happy to watch her in this movie. I can't really recommend it to you. But if you love Keri as much as I do, you may enjoy it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aw...I loved Waitress. That's funny that you say you don't see Jeremy Sisto (who played the husband) as a bad guy. I've only ever seen him be a bad guy, so I expect it of all his roles now! In a terrible turn of events, the director of that movie was murdered about six months before it came out. That was pretty awful.

I agree with the above poster about Austenland too. It's funny and sweet, very light. Keri is also in the newest Planet of the Apes, and it's a really good movie, but she has a fairly small part, as I recall.

Edited by madam magpie

No one has mentioned the pies? Coincidental to this conversation: Waitress was turned into a musical, which has been running on Broadway since last summer.

• Love 2
On 5/28/2016 at 11:34 PM, caitmcg said:

No one has mentioned the pies? Coincidental to this conversation: Waitress was turned into a musical, which has been running on Broadway since last summer.

Posted this in the media thread because I forgot about this one... I've read that Keri Russell will be introducing the Waitress number tonight on the Tonys.

I just saw a season 4 episode of Blue Bloods, from 2013, and Martha was a key player. She spoke with a Croatian accent and looked like a movie star (while playing a working mom)! She was gorgeous beyond gorgeous!

Costa Ronin was on the latest episode of Gotham

Spoiler

in a welcome subversion of the "evil Russian" role.

The funny part was was that he identified himself as Ukrainian, despite the actor being born in Russia proper. I think that has do do more with Gotham trying to keep themselves from pinning down a time when the shows takes place. I guess they felt that mentioning Russia would force them to say whether they're still in the Soviet era or not.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GussieK said:

Another great Keri movie is "The Magic of Ordinary Days."  It's an old Hallmark special.  It's hard to find. 

Thank you very much for this recommendation. I just watched it and it was really poignant. I enjoyed it very much. Keri was great. She displayed a real range of her character. I'm going to have to find out more about Hallmark movies. I've heard of them in the past but always figured they would be too boring. I don't know how I ever got such a dumb idea. But thanks to you I will try to find some more of them. I really liked this one.

• Love 1

I thought that I read around here that Alison Wright was playing on another tv show, but, I can't find it now.  I checked the Martha thread as well.  I did see her on Feud: Bette and Joan.  (FX).  She has a regular role on the show. It's not as dramatic as her role as Martha, but, still was good to see her still employed on an FX series.

http://observer.com/2017/03/alison-wright-feud-interview-hollywood-sexism-ageism/

9 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Thank you very much for this recommendation. I just watched it and it was really poignant. I enjoyed it very much. Keri was great. She displayed a real range of her character. I'm going to have to find out more about Hallmark movies. I've heard of them in the past but always figured they would be too boring. I don't know how I ever got such a dumb idea. But thanks to you I will try to find some more of them. I really liked this one.

So glad you liked this!  There really should be a forum for the old Hallmark specials. Many are wonderful. They are no longer the same.  They used to be major TV network events.