Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation for Season 3 (Renewal TBD)

• Start Topic

A spot to talk about what you'd like to see for Season Three of The Umbrella Academy, starting with a renewal announcement from Netflix!

PLEASE NOTE: There will be spoilers for Season Two in here. You are entering at your own risk, so prepare to be spoiled!!!

I'm guessing that somehow they're playing the long game and somehow Luther (at the very least) is going to end up back in 1963 to "fix" the future.

They made a big deal twice about Luther showing two of the signs of the Paradox Psychosis.  Talking about how "that boy stinks" when he gets on the bus, and then the flatulent elevator scene.

Both times Luther was heading to see Daddy Hargreaves, and perhaps Future Luther was near both times, attempting to keep the kids away from Dad on the theory that all the information they gave dad at different times was what brought about the Sparrow Academy. 

Eh, that's all I've got.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I was thinking this maybe more a wishlist type of thing but:

I hope that arrow accademy consists of different characters. I do not want to see a "evil" or other version of them. I would also include no alternate version of Lila either. This is because I like the characters the way they are and still feel like I need to know them better before they have an alter version. So my hopeful take is that he took different kids then the 6 that he met in the 60's as he didn't approve of them. But the twist is that he didn't know about Ben so adapted him in both timelines. Then I'd have Ben still be a good guy (same personality) but very much alive. That way he gets in interact with the original group and become a main character ;).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 5
On 8/4/2020 at 2:18 PM, Bad Example said:

I'm guessing that somehow they're playing the long game and somehow Luther (at the very least) is going to end up back in 1963 to "fix" the future.

They made a big deal twice about Luther showing two of the signs of the Paradox Psychosis.  Talking about how "that boy stinks" when he gets on the bus, and then the flatulent elevator scene.

Both times Luther was heading to see Daddy Hargreaves, and perhaps Future Luther was near both times, attempting to keep the kids away from Dad on the theory that all the information they gave dad at different times was what brought about the Sparrow Academy. 

I think this is brilliant, and really hope the writers are this smart.

I'm currently re-watching season 2, and in the same vein, I wondered about the scene in 2.7 where Five kills the Board. Now, I know he's a trained assassin and it's his job and all, but he seemed extra psychotic in that entire scene, including in the part leading up to it when he smashes the vending machine. Originally I thought this was just Five venting his frustrations, but in retrospect, after learning about the Paradox Psychosis, it made me go "hmmm." Additionally he itches himself during the vending machine rampage, and is seen stopping for a drink (extreme thirst was another symptom) in the midst of his ax murdering.

If the writers really did plan all this ahead of time for a future pay off in season three, I will bow down to them. That would be a level of planning on par with 12 Monkeys (which is my gold standard for TV series planning in time travel). 

Other than that, I am interested to see where season three goes... yes, they've messed up the timeline, but considering how badly they've seen things go before, surely they won't try to reset it when they know it could be much, much worse. And really, a lot of things are better than how they left them-- Ben and their father are alive (OK, Dad being there might not be considered a plus...), and quite possibly Pogo, Mom, and Patch as well. So either there's going to be an impending disaster (maybe the Sparrow Academy's version of Vanya is also destined to start an apocalypse?), or the Umbrella gang is just going to have to learn to acclimate themselves to the new bizarre-o timeline. 

I do think it would be interesting in the Sparrow Academy is a mix of alternate-reality Umbrella Academy members and new people. You know some of the actors could have a blast playing different versions of themselves (as Justin Min will get to do), and from a character-development side, the ones who didn't get "picked" by Dad this time might have some interesting reactions.

• Love 5
On 9/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I think this is brilliant, and really hope the writers are this smart.

I'm currently re-watching season 2, and in the same vein, I wondered about the scene in 2.7 where Five kills the Board. Now, I know he's a trained assassin and it's his job and all, but he seemed extra psychotic in that entire scene, including in the part leading up to it when he smashes the vending machine. Originally I thought this was just Five venting his frustrations, but in retrospect, after learning about the Paradox Psychosis, it made me go "hmmm." Additionally he itches himself during the vending machine rampage, and is seen stopping for a drink (extreme thirst was another symptom) in the midst of his ax murdering.

I appreciate your use of the word "brilliant", as your own user name tells me you are a person of exquisite taste in entertainment.  😁

Good call on noticing the symptoms with Five.  I really hope we're on to something!

• Love 2
On 8/4/2020 at 11:18 AM, Bad Example said:

Not really.

When he got on the bus, he had been living on the streets and begging to put together bus fare.
And as I recall, he had been eating a huge meal of tacos just before the elevator scene.

I think the Paradox Psychosis requires the sufferer to be aware that they are in the same place as themselves. So Old Five was not affected by the presence of Young Five until he became aware of his own presence, while Young Five was showing signs even before entering the bar.