Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E20: Kerry Washington, Jim Carey, Thomas Chatterton Williams, Bari Weiss

• Start Topic

Bari Weiss and SIR Thomas Chatterton Williams were SPOT-ON. 

I rolled my eyes when Bill started in on the last New Rule, but really he is not wrong about the obesity problem in this country, and I have to agree with him that it's a shame that many doctors don't mention losing weight when it comes to treating and/or preventing illnesses. It's like they know it's a losing battle so they don't even waste their breath. 

And yes, dammit, I did gain the Quarantine 15!

• Love 8

Funny how Bill had nothing to say about all the Millennials and Gen Zers who sallied forth into the wide-open world down south and out west - you'd think he'd be bragging about how they went out and bravely got the virus just as he said they should. 🙄

• Love 11

Jim Carey makes me nervous. You never know where he’s going to go when he’s being interviewed & he stepped all over his promo for the book. He is totally obsessed with Trump (as I guess a lot of us are) but it’s really effected his sense of humor. I didn’t find him even mildly amusing last night.  And yeah, Bill, Americans are fat - how is that harming you?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Jim Carey makes me nervous. You never know where he’s going to go when he’s being interviewed & he stepped all over his promo for the book. He is totally obsessed with Trump (as I guess a lot of us are) but it’s really effected his sense of humor. I didn’t find him even mildly amusing last night.  And yeah, Bill, Americans are fat - how is that harming you?

He makes me nervous too. Stay with us Jim, please.

• Love 1

So after being off for a month - in which the shit hit the fan in so many ways, from bounties on U.S. soldiers heads by Russia, jackbooted thugs harassing protesters in Portland, the coronavirus needlessly spiraling out of control, and the GDP cratering - what is it that Bill talks about upon returning?

Cancel culture and fat shaming!

HBO, if you’re reading this, please buy out the remaining years of this weasel’s contract, ASAP!

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
9 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

So after being off for a month - in which the shit hit the fan in so many ways, from bounties on U.S. soldiers heads by Russia, jackbooted thugs harassing protesters in Portland, the coronavirus needlessly spiraling out of control, and the GDP cratering - what is it that Bill talks about upon returning?

HBO, if you’re reading this, please buy out the remaining years of this weasel’s contract, ASAP!

Sorry I missed it...NOT! I predicted he would have Bari Weiss on after she quit working at the NY Times....she claimed she was being bullied. According to a former editor there Weiss could dish it out but couldn't take it. Bill needs to take his show over to Fox News or OAN.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 7

Jim Carey is exhausting. It reminds me of Robin Williams' super manic energy during most interviews, which I suspect is some kind of cover up to the real personality underneath. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Sorry I missed it...NOT! I predicted he would have Bari Weiss on after she quit working at the NY Times....she claimed she was being bullied. According to a former editor there Weiss could dish it out but couldn't take it. Bill needs to take his over to Fox News or OAN.

As the segment began, I thought the topic on cancel culture was a worthy topic for discussion based on everything that's happening right now in the world.  I  just wished that Bari Weiss wasn't part of the panel providing her thoughts.  She's awful IMO and hypocrite too since she has a history of trying to cancel/silence out dissenting voices and opinions that differ from hers often labelling them as anti-Semitic. I had to roll my eyes when Bari brought up the dangers of repeating uniformed opinions that mislabel people since she's been guilty of doing exactly that herself on other talk shows. 10 years ago Bill Maher would have called her out on her BS and hypocrisy.  Today not soo much. 

Edited by Thomas Crown
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I rolled my eyes when Bill started in on the last New Rule, but really he is not wrong about the obesity problem in this country, and I have to agree with him that it's a shame that many doctors don't mention losing weight when it comes to treating and/or preventing illnesses. It's like they know it's a losing battle so they don't even waste their breath. 

I agree with you.  I don't think Bill is wrong in what he is saying and there is a health crisis in the U.S. when it comes to obesity.  He's right that the being healthier gives you more chances of recovering from Covid-19.  It's common sense.  I just wish he would have brought something new to the topic since he's addressed this issue more than once.  Honestly I don't mind if he wants to revisit an issue if it matters to him, just don't repeat the same talking points that you said that last time you discussed the issue. I used to look forward to New Rules as something thought provoking and worthy of further debate/discussion.  Now not so much. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Thomas Crown said:

I agree with you.  I don't think Bill is wrong in what he is saying and there is a health crisis in the U.S. when it comes to obesity.  He's right that the being healthier gives you more chances of recovering from Covid-19.  It's common sense.  I just wish he would have brought something new to the topic since he's addressed this issue more than once.  Honestly I don't mind if he wants to revisit an issue if it matters to him, just don't repeat the same talking points that you said that last time you discussed the issue. I used to look forward to New Rules as something thought provoking and worthy of further debate/discussion.  Now not so much. 

Plus, there is more nuance to the discussion than he ever addresses. There are overweight people who are healthier than people whose weight is acceptable to him. It’s the underlying conditions, like diabetes and heart disease that make them at higher risk.

I’m considered obese,  but I don’t have any problems with blood pressure, cholesterol, organ problems, or other diseases. I eat healthy and exercise, but he doesn’t address that people like me exist. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don't deny that there is a problem with obesity in this country, and it does contribute to all sorts of health issues.  I don't think anyone would disagree.  What drives me crazy is that Bill totally glosses over just how difficult it is to lose weight and keep it off. He thinks that cutting out sodas and desserts will solve the problem.  Obviously he has never had to struggle with his weight, but he could acknowledge that it is not an easy thing to do.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Instead of the Quarantine 15, I'm not sure why people aren't referring to the work-from-home weight gain as ...... the Covid 19.   :)

I'll see myself out.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

As the segment began, I thought the topic on cancel culture was a worthy topic for discussion based on everything that's happening right now in the world.  I  just wished that Bari Weiss wasn't part of the panel providing her thoughts.  She's awful IMO and hypocrite too since she has a history of trying to cancel/silence out dissenting voices and opinions that differ from hers often labelling them as anti-Semitic. I had to roll my eyes when Bari brought up the dangers of repeating uniformed opinions that mislabel people since she's been guilty of doing exactly that herself on other talk shows. 10 years ago Bill Maher would have called her out on her BS and hypocrisy.  Today not soo much. 

Yes! I have read numerous articles on her and her history on trying to cancel or silence dissenting voices that aren't like hers...particuarly any kind of criticism of Israel. To speak out about Israel's problems amounts to you being an anti-semite, even if you were born and raised a Jew. She's become the darling of men like Maher who are critical of the #metoomovement since she has spoken out against it. And you're right about Bill...the Bill of ten years ago is long gone. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Jim Carey is exhausting. It reminds me of Robin Williams' super manic energy during most interviews, which I suspect is some kind of cover up to the real personality underneath. 

Yes. Crippling depression. I feel for him. 

• Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 1:49 AM, Gothish520 said:

Bari Weiss and SIR Thomas Chatterton Williams were SPOT-ON. 

And yet a lot of fat people have openly stated that they avoid doctors because no matter what health problem they may have, the doctor will tell them to lose weight.

I mean, Bill's under the impression that people don't lose weight because society is too accepting and supportive of overweight people, even while he's constantly fat-shaming on his TV show, so he's not the best person to give an objective view of life as an overweight person. If he thinks fat-shaming because you care is a duty, he's done his.

Bari Weiss ... of course.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I mean, Bill's under the impression that people don't lose weight because society is too accepting and supportive of overweight people, even while he's constantly fat-shaming on his TV show, so he's not the best person to give an objective view of life as an overweight person. If he thinks fat-shaming because you care is a duty, he's done his.

True that! 

21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I don't deny that there is a problem with obesity in this country, and it does contribute to all sorts of health issues.  I don't think anyone would disagree.  What drives me crazy is that Bill totally glosses over just how difficult it is to lose weight and keep it off. He thinks that cutting out sodas and desserts will solve the problem.  Obviously he has never had to struggle with his weight, but he could acknowledge that it is not an easy thing to do.

That's what James Corden said in his rebuttal to Bill when he last tried to fat shame as a technique for weight loss. One hopes Corden will deliver another smackdown to Bill.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2020 at 10:35 AM, Victor the Crab said:

Exactly what I was thinking!! Bill has been off for a month and all the garbage that we are going through and he spends 30 minutes on this crap. I don't get it with his fetish for Bari Weiss. I can't stand her. She comes across as a smug, entitled, spoiled rich kid throwing a tantrum. Hopefully in three years she will be off the scene and forgotten. Any conservatives watching must have had a big laugh. We need to be laser focused on getting Trump out of the White House. Wasting time and energy on this cancel culture conservative dog whistle is a huge mistake. 

Is Bill undergoing a Dennis Miller-like transformation? How sad.

• Love 11
On 8/1/2020 at 5:56 PM, 3 is enough said:

I've suffered with my weight most of my life.  I've lost and gained more times than I can count.  I think we should be discussing obesity in this country.  I don't think anyone should be shamed because of how they look.  Nor should the health consequences of obesity be ignored.  My feeling about Bill is that he is uncomfortable around fat people.  He doesn't care about their health.  I wonder how he would feel if he needed to stop smoking weed because of his health.  

• Love 3
On 7/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, Gothish520 said:

he is not wrong about the obesity problem in this country, and I have to agree with him that it's a shame that many doctors don't mention losing weight when it comes to treating and/or preventing illnesses. It's like they know it's a losing battle so they don't even waste their breath. 

How do you and Bill know what my doctor says? Maybe this is a great time to segue into a rant about healthcare and how many obese people actually don't have it. But why do what's right or makes sense when you can make jokes about how fat everyone else is. Just shut the fuck up Bill yeesh.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, monakane said:

I've suffered with my weight most of my life.  I've lost and gained more times than I can count.  I think we should be discussing obesity in this country.  I don't think anyone should be shamed because of how they look.  Nor should the health consequences of obesity be ignored.  My feeling about Bill is that he is uncomfortable around fat people.  He doesn't care about their health.  I wonder how he would feel if he needed to stop smoking weed because of his health.  

Exactly. To quote one of Bill Maher's bits ... "I don't know it to be a fact, I just know it's true that Bill Maher has an unhealthy obsession on the topic of obesity".   I think Bill lacks empathy when talking about the subject of obesity and he prefers to address it with a sledgehammer when there's no need to.   That being said, despite Bill's clumsiness when talking about the subject, I still think his central point is correct and that we should be talking more about the subject. It is a real crisis (among others that we are facing). Too bad this administration is not leading the way on the topic.   

• Love 5
On 8/1/2020 at 5:56 PM, 3 is enough said:

It would be nice if he would also recognize that some blame, maybe a lot, should fall on the food industry that pumps our food full of hormones, chemicals, and sugar.  And employers who keep wages low so people have to work multiple jobs and/or long hours and have less time to cook and can’t afford more expensive healthy food.  

plus some people gain weight where others don’t.  Two siblings , eat the same food, exercise the same.  One stays slim the other is chubby.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

Exactly what I was thinking!! Bill has been off for a month and all the garbage that we are going through and he spends 30 minutes on this crap. I don't get it with his fetish for Bari Weiss. I can't stand her. She comes across as a smug, entitled, spoiled rich kid throwing a tantrum. Hopefully in three years she will be off the scene and forgotten. Any conservatives watching must have had a big laugh. We need to be laser focused on getting Trump out of the White House. Wasting time and energy on this cancel culture conservative dog whistle is a huge mistake. 

Is Bill undergoing a Dennis Miller-like transformation? How sad.

I think you're on to something! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell has happened to this guy in the last year...all the right wing shit stirrers he's had on and bonded with, his topics for discussion during the pandemic that mimic Republican talking points...it's just bizzare. I heard he even parrotted Trump's lie about the Obama administration leaving the "cupboard bare" in terms of PPE and ventilators...which is an outright lie. He doesn't bring up the fact that Trump disbanded ther Pandemic Task Force that the Obama Administration had put in place and threw out the Pandemic Playbook that gave instructions on how to deal with any kind of emergency during an epidemic or worse, a pandemic...all before he had been in office for a year. And you are so spot on about Bari Weiss...entitled, spoiled rich girl who rode the coattails of another smug Conservative, Bret Stephens...who also is a regular now on Maher. I think you're right that Bill is trying to rebrand himself as a Libertarian Righty and carve a new niche of viewers from the right. He probably thinks he can do a better job than Dennis Miller since he's had more success as a comedian than Miller has. He'll get regular gigs and commentary on Fox and OAN. He's losing a lot of his fan base that has been watching him for years...I haven't watched his show in over a year and the rest of my family stopped watching him eight months ago. Seems we made a good decision given what I read on here.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Adgirl said:

How do you and Bill know what my doctor says? Maybe this is a great time to segue into a rant about healthcare and how many obese people actually don't have it. But why do what's right or makes sense when you can make jokes about how fat everyone else is. Just shut the fuck up Bill yeesh.

I said many doctors, not all. My husband's doctor mentions losing weight in passing, no sense of urgency or importance. Mine was very pleased when I lost weight but didn't mention that I really should beforehand. It just seems like it was something that doctors used to really push for back in the day (lose weight, eat right, exercise), and some of them don't seem to do so anymore. They'd rather throw a pill at whatever health problem we're having.

2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

It would be nice if he would also recognize that some blame, maybe a lot, should fall on the food industry that pumps our food full of hormones, chemicals, and sugar.  And employers who keep wages low so people have to work multiple jobs and/or long hours and have less time to cook and can’t afford more expensive healthy food.  

plus some people gain weight where others don’t.  Two siblings , eat the same food, exercise the same.  One stays slim the other is chubby.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. Let's be honest here: for the most part, we are are a nation of overweight/obese people because we eat garbage and too much of it, and we don't exercise. 

Bill's a tool for many reasons, and his approach is heavy-handed and smug, and if he mentions it again next week I'll be bitching as usual - still doesn't make him wrong on the subject.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I think you're on to something! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell has happened to this guy in the last year...all the right wing shit stirrers he's had on and bonded with, his topics for discussion during the pandemic that mimic Republican talking points...it's just bizzare. I heard he even parrotted Trump's lie about the Obama administration leaving the "cupboard bare" in terms of PPE and ventilators...which is an outright lie. He doesn't bring up the fact that Trump disbanded ther Pandemic Task Force that the Obama Administration had put in place and threw out the Pandemic Playbook that gave instructions on how to deal with any kind of emergency during an epidemic or worse, a pandemic...all before he had been in office for a year. And you are so spot on about Bari Weiss...entitled, spoiled rich girl who rode the coattails of another smug Conservative, Bret Stephens...who also is a regular now on Maher. I think you're right that Bill is trying to rebrand himself as a Libertarian Righty and carve a new niche of viewers from the right. He probably thinks he can do a better job than Dennis Miller since he's had more success as a comedian than Miller has. He'll get regular gigs and commentary on Fox and OAN. He's losing a lot of his fan base that has been watching him for years...I haven't watched his show in over a year and the rest of my family stopped watching him eight months ago. Seems we made a good decision given what I read on here.

He said this??

3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I said many doctors, not all. My husband's doctor mentions losing weight in passing, no sense of urgency or importance. Mine was very pleased when I lost weight but didn't mention that I really should beforehand. It just seems like it was something that doctors used to really push for back in the day (lose weight, eat right, exercise), and some of them don't seem to do so anymore. They'd rather throw a pill at whatever health problem we're having.

Sounds like a lot of excuses. Let's be honest here: for the most part, we are are a nation of overweight/obese people because we eat garbage and too much of it, and we don't exercise. 

Bill's a tool for many reasons, and his approach is heavy-handed and smug, and if he mentions it again next week I'll be bitching as usual - still doesn't make him wrong on the subject.

Bill's type of narcissistic personality would be patting himself on the back and saying "you're welcome" for agreeing with him on that. People like him don't help and would actually make people do the opposite just to spite him.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Bill's type of narcissistic personality would be patting himself on the back and saying "you're welcome" for agreeing with him on that. People like him don't help and would actually make people do the opposite just to spite him.

Ha, this is true!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Let's be honest here: for the most part, we are are a nation of overweight/obese people because we eat garbage and too much of it, and we don't exercise. 

I can understand why Bill is concerned about this issue, although I'm inclined to agree with others that it's probably more about him being uncomfortable around overweight people as opposed to him being genuinely concerned about their health. I think weight and health issues are worthy of discussion (especially now) but I do agree that he seems to lack empathy in terms of his overall approach. 

That being said, I agree with some of his basic points this episode like how it doesn't cost people anything to choose drinking water over drinking something like soda. Steaming a few vegetables isn't particularly taxing even after a long ass day at work. 

This doesn't address all of the many issues with the food industry itself (or the lack of access to healthy food for some people) but at least there is more awareness and knowledge out there for the people who are concerned about what they are putting into their bodies. (In my experience, the more you read, the more label conscious you become and that's an important step regarding developing healthier eating habits.) 

Regarding Bill's point about how Michelle Obama was raked over the coals for daring to try to get kids to eat healthier food--it seems like being told to eat healthier food is something that a lot of people from both sides of the political spectrum aren't particularly interested in hearing. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

But it's not like people in the 1950s were frantically exercising and focusing on eating healthy. A ton of people didn't suddenly become more lazy and more addicted to junk food. Societal factors have to be playing a big part, and that's a thing that you'd think that somebody as obsessed with this as a health crisis would be concerned about. Instead he just keeps framing it as a personal moral failing of individual people all at once. The message that thin=healthy (even when it's not true) is everywhere, whether or not any particular doctor is saying it, after all.

• Love 5

I thought this was one of  the better shows I’ve seen in a while.

Kerri. She didn’t really answer any of his questions, she stayed focused on promoting her agenda, which is OK by me. I did think though that she was trying awfully hard to look white.

Thomas and Bari.  I thought that they both presented an intelligent, thoughtful conversation about the race issues in our country today.

Jim. I have no words.

Fat Shaming. I don’t consider taking up the cause of obesity in this country as shaming. I agree with Bill when he said, god forbid you talk about how harmful and destructive obesity is and how it is the cause of so many illnesses. It is not shaming; it is taking up a cause that should be taken up. I have battled weight my whole life. I don’t want the entire country to make me feel it’s ok to be obese. It is a cause that Bill is bringing attention to, and I agree with him. The topic should not be swept under the rug. Let’s call it like it is...a destructive condition that needs to be eliminated. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Tara said:

Fat Shaming. I don’t consider taking up the cause of obesity in this country as shaming. I agree with Bill when he said, god forbid you talk about how harmful and destructive obesity is and how it is the cause of so many illnesses. It is not shaming; it is taking up a cause that should be taken up. I have battled weight my whole life. I don’t want the entire country to make me feel it’s ok to be obese. It is a cause that Bill is bringing attention to, and I agree with him. The topic should not be swept under the rug. Let’s call it like it is...a destructive condition that needs to be eliminated. 

Bill's not drawing this attention because he's concerned. He just doesn't like looking at fat people because he's that shallow. He thinks that ridiculing them to their faces will motivate them to lose weight, when in reality it's counter productive. I know if an asshole like Bill tried to do that to me, they'd be swallowing their own teeth!

• Love 3

My problem with his harping on obesity's link to COVID-19 outcomes is that there's not much that an obese listener can do immediately, especially with food deserts and supply-line shortages. Rather than a call to arms to combat the virus, it comes off more like a "sucks to be you, you fat slug."

• Love 4