Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: It's Not The First Time

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Great idea .. I go for that.  I think all of us could do a better job, lol.  But then, there would be no drama and nothing to snark about.

No power in the universe can stop us from snarking...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, slaterain said:

Best Description of those hovering 'friends'!!!

Here is my theory... Henry is in love with Trishelle but has been completely friendzoned. Like many have said, she keeps him around as her backup +1 in all the string-along glory. The brunette friend who wanted to claw out Christina's eyes - I think she has a thing for Henry but he is still too infatuated by Trishelle to notice/care. Trishelle is who really wanted to be on the show and made sure Henry came along to the casting. Only he got picked! So of course Trishelle still wants to be on tv so she encourages him to do it. Brunette is still pissy - hence the rant on anyone who would do this show. And now Trishelle is using every opportunity to be on the show as the best friend - in all her drunken trashy glory.  

I own a small computer shop and a woman and a man came into the shop for repair. I talked to both of them but at some point she found it necessary to declare he's 'just a friend'. I don't want to have friends (regardless of sex) who say my relationship to them is just a friend. Saying we're not a couple this is my friend would be much better.

This should be an interesting couple to watch. Covid will be the main protagonist in this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Party of One...so far I kind of like Christina.  I think she was trying to be positive about Henry, and like Olivia, her nerves were apparent.  I tend to have patience in relationships, but he would irk me.  I don't think it's just being an introvert as introverts tend to be able to make conversation.  There is just something off about him, and his friends are horrible.  His friend Christine was so proud of herself for being judgmental about Christina being a part of MAFS.

I think someone told Amelia that she looked cute when she gaped her mouth as that was a very purposeful face to make and she made it several times during the event. Part of her quirkiness.

• Love 5

Finally!

Christina picked a bridesmaid dress that can be reworn again without looking like it was for a wedding....just need to make sure the other bridesmaids aren't at the same function or saw this episode of MAFS on teevee.

• Love 4

On 7/30/2020 at 1:28 AM, Blissfool said:

I loved watching Miles' parents discussing Miles' mama's boy status.

I loved how the dad was trying to shut the mom down because he knew how very unappealing it would probably be to a new bride (or to most women, I'm guessing) to find out that their new man might be joined at the hip with his mommy...

On 7/30/2020 at 1:48 AM, bichonblitz said:

There must be more to Henry than meets the eye. There has to be when he has those cray cray drunken bitches for friends. 

Here's the part that I can't figure out.  Keeping a guy around to increase the girl's desirability, only works if the girl, when she is with the guy, will be perceived by other men as someone having a good time.  But the girl can't laugh at Henry's jokes if he doesn't even talk.  So it would seem to be that the girl would just look like a dud that's sitting with a decent-looking unhappy guy.  And that wouldn't accomplish the goal of getting other guys' attention.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, Empress1 said:

I think it's rude when the bride imposes her personal style on the bridesmaids and makes them wear something clearly not their type.

Case in point: Amelia’s bridesmaids and their garish circus attire and fringed lampshade “veils.” Ridiculous.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 9:17 PM, JapMo said:

Of course, you can see they are trying to create drama with Bennett on whether he will move if Amelia has to do her residency in a different town.  I'm not falling for it.....she would quit doctoring if it meant losing him.

I think not. After all that school? Why should she “quit doctoring” for a pedicab driver with one pair of socks who lives in the middle of nowhere in a tiny house shack with no bathroom? Because she’s a woman & to keep her man? C’mon now. He’ll go with her wherever - he has no real job or home to leave behind and I don’t sense either are native New Orleanians heart-tied to that specific city/region.

Edited by ChiMama
  • Love 17
On 7/31/2020 at 12:23 AM, Kiss my mutt said:

Karen is very composed and poised which makes her seem older than she is, since most 30 year old on reality tv are pretty immature for their ages. 

She is, but it isn't her poise.  She just looks older to me.  

3 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Case in point: Amelia’s bridesmaids and their garish circus attire and fringed lampshade “veils.” Ridiculous.

I think Amelia's bridesmaids helped chose their outfits.  They were digging the attention whoring.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ChiMama said:

I think not. After all that school? Why should she “quit doctoring” for a pedicab driver with one pair of socks who lives in the middle of nowhere in a tiny house shack with no bathroom? Because she’s a woman & to keep her man? C’mon now. He’ll go with her wherever - he has no real job or home to leave behind and I don’t sense either are native New Orleanians heart-tied to that specific city/region.

I would have a serious come to Jesus talk  with anyone in my life who was talking about giving up a promising medical career for a man she met a month before who, for all intents and purposes, works a series of odd jobs that he could do anywhere.

• Love 11

They could do a long distance marriage, plenty of people have to separate temporarily for jobs.

Amelia finds out her location on Match Day 3/20/20.

She enters her program July 1, 2020 but moves earlier to get set up.

Have put the results of her Match Day in the Specs and Spoiler thread.

Covid is a game changer for Bennett.

No performances for his theater, no band gigs.

His pedicab business low to nil since no one traveling.

He can write. Anywhere.

The heart to heart he had with his MIL about the future changed once Corona virus tilted the world for all of us.

• Love 8

Christina is going to eat Henry alive. She appears to be self centered and demanding. Being an only child is not an excuse to be self involved. Brett is going to be this season's Zach.

As of right now I have high hopes for Karen/Miles, Amani/Woody and Amelia/Bennett. 

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

They could do a long distance marriage, plenty of people have to separate temporarily for jobs.

Oh, I didn’t mean they should break up; just that her not moving for a residency shouldn’t be on the table - especially since, as you say, the jobs Bennett works don’t really exist anymore in the age of COVID, unfortunately. He’s not really anchored. I guess we’ll see where they end up.

• Love 5

Let's be honest....we all make instant judgments about people every day, and most of the time we are pretty much on target, but there's times we are totally off base about our impression of someone.  I thought the following MAFS couples seemed to have a good connection and a good chance of staying together, and look what happened:

• Davina & Shawn (they really seemed to be into each other right away)
  • Jessica & Ryan (physically they were a very attractive couple)
  • Vanessa & Tres (I thought he was adorable and Vanessa was really lucky)
  • Sonia & Nick (both nerdy, very socially awkward...they remind me of this year's Amelia & Bennett)
  • Jaclyn & Ryan (they looked sooo cute together)

Look who I missed?

• Jaime & Doug (thought for sure they'd break up)
  • Lillian & Tom (though now divorced, I NEVER saw them together)
  • Ashley & Anthony (I didn't see any physical spark between them)
  • Danielle & Bobby (he was in love at first sight, but I didn't see the reciprocation from Danielle for a long time)
  • Stephanie & AJ (didn't see it then....don't see it now.  He's a major handfull)
  • Kristine & Keith (It just seemed like she could do so much better...now I think they are adorable)

If I was standing behind the preacher at the altar and watched some of this current crop come walking towards each other, my instant judgment would have been the following:

Karen/Miles - No, sorry....she's way out of his league physically

Amani/Woody - His smile could light up a room....she seems sweet

Olivia/Brett - They look OK together

Amelia/Bennett - Yikes....he needs to run for the hills

Christina/Henry - He's attractive...she's not bad.  Maybe.

4 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

And then there's Elizabeth and Jamie- constant fighting and insulting, yet they stay together.

Season 9 was the only season I never really watched.  I don't know anything about them or Deonna & Greg except what I see on Couples Cam, and from just that I'm totally turned off by Deonna and the whole baby crap.  The doll she made Greg carry around and the lessons on anatomy from last week...puhleeze.  It makes Greg look like a 4 year old.  Maybe that's what she's aiming for.  Make him look more and more childish till he's got the maturity level of a baby.   Then she doesn't have to go through labor.

• LOL 2

The most physically beautiful couple...Iris and Keith.

Iris endlessly went on and on about her virginny, flinching and shying away from any sex talk or touching.

Getting angry about Keith's friends going into the fridge and drinking her lemonade...she took offense at their opening the fridge and helping themselves to the drink she cannot share plus disrespectfully straying from her "designated party food."

Crazy. Rigid.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Season 9 was the only season I never really watched.  I don't know anything about them or Deonna & Greg except what I see on Couples Cam, and from just that I'm totally turned off by Deonna and the whole baby crap.  The doll she made Greg carry around and the lessons on anatomy from last week...puhleeze.  It makes Greg look like a 4 year old.  Maybe that's what she's aiming for.  Make him look more and more childish till he's got the maturity level of a baby.   Then she doesn't have to go through labor.

I’m surprised at Deonna and Gregg too.  Both have great jobs and that’s Greggs home they moved into. 

Personally  I think each couple had to come up with a theme to be part of this show for big paychecks and this was what she came up with.   Greggs not real into fun so he probably had nothing to offer. 

Gregg is just a nice calm fellow going along with his wife. I’m sure if he could do it over he would. It makes him look foolish and that’s not who he is!

• Love 4

Christina and Henry...oy vey!

Help me out here...what subset of men never sends or bring flowers?

Who are Christina's "type?"

-Married men who do not want a florist charge on their credit cards.

As a flight attendant she is around flirty married men, who don't hide their wifeys or kids from her.

She can be the gf until she gets too attached and hurt. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

-Cheapos...brings her something practical like....Costco sized box of condoms...wait...that's a gift for himself

-Anti-Romantic-Poo poos any PDA like flowers

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Personally  I think each couple had to come up with a theme to be part of this show for big paychecks and this was what she came up with.   Greggs not real into fun so he probably had nothing to offer. 

From what I've consistently read about reality show paychecks, the "contestants" don't really get that much money, and MAFS in particular is very cheap.  Probably the only couple that gets decent cash is Jaime & Doug.  But as far as the Couples Cam, it's practically zero dollars for the show.  Yes, they supply the cameras, but they don't have to have a production team or a camera crew on site, which means no money going out for hotels and food.  They edit everything, so that's where most man hours are.  The Cam couples probably get enough that they can get a better place to live or put a down payment on a house.  

12 hours ago, ChiMama said:

If she’s like most who took out huge loans for med school, she can’t afford to quit doctoring. She will have a hard enough time paying them back in family practice.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, JapMo said:

You're lucky you didn't see their season. She was an absolute bitch to him the entire time. One of those dish it out but can't take it types. She hadn't dated in 10 years because she was so devastated that her high school relationship ended badly. So she spent the next ten years "doing me." It didn't do her any favors and to me, her maturity level suffered greatly. She dictated what words he could use and seemed to criticize nearly everything Greg did. I remember a scene when he was massaging her shoulders and she had this face on like she was tolerating him but wished he'd go away. He should have. 

The current season is only the third one I've watched, and Deonna is my least favorite person of the women I've seen (and there have been a few doozies). The first thing she did after the wedding was take a scalpel, cut off his balls and place them in her purse where they remain today. That he allowed that to happen made me sad. 

I will say that Deonna and Greg were a lightning rod in this forum. Some absolutely loved them and others hated them. It was interesting to read all these posts that went all over the place on the love/hate scale. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, JapMo said:

From what I've consistently read about reality show paychecks, the "contestants" don't really get that much money, and MAFS in particular is very cheap.  Probably the only couple that gets decent cash is Jaime & Doug.  But as far as the Couples Cam, it's practically zero dollars for the show.  Yes, they supply the cameras, but they don't have to have a production team or a camera crew on site, which means no money going out for hotels and food.  They edit everything, so that's where most man hours are.  The Cam couples probably get enough that they can get a better place to live or put a down payment on a house.  

Their money comes from Commercials and those sponsors pay big money!  Have you ever looked at YouTube ads and how much they are paying for 5 second ads!  Amazing!

Jaime and Doug just bought their second home in Florida. A vacation home!  Rumor has it!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

You're lucky you didn't see their season. She was an absolute bitch to him the entire time. One of those dish it out but can't take it types. She hadn't dated in 10 years because she was so devastated that her high school relationship ended badly. So she spent the next ten years "doing me." It didn't do her any favors and to me, her maturity level suffered greatly. She dictated what words he could use and seemed to criticize nearly everything Greg did. I remember a scene when he was massaging her shoulders and she had this face on like she was tolerating him but wished he'd go away. He should have. 

The current season is only the third one I've watched, and Deonna is my least favorite person of the women I've seen (and there have been a few doozies). The first thing she did after the wedding was take a scalpel, cut off his balls and place them in her purse where they remain today. That he allowed that to happen made me sad. 

I will say that Deonna and Greg were a lightning rod in this forum. Some absolutely loved them and others hated them. It was interesting to read all these posts that went all over the place on the love/hate scale. 

Yup - I'm closer to the other end of the spectrum. I like Deonna and I like Greg too. I think she is smart and early on, she decided how much of herself she was willing to share on this show and how much she wanted to keep private. She and Greg seemed to be on the same, very reasonable, page about this and they stuck to it. She was guarded, sure, but I don't blame her for that. I didn't think she was a bitch and I didn't think that she was rude to Greg. I certainly don't perceive her as having his balls in her purse - assuming that means she calls the shots. I would hang out with her in a heartbeat. I think they are well matched and they seem happy together. I think they're going to be excellent parents.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, JapMo said:

I've always heard TV is unionized and has minimum payments for just about every type of activity that are very generous to folks not in the business.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I've always heard TV is unionized and has minimum payments for just about every type of activity that are very generous to folks not in the business.

Are you thinking of the Screen Actor's Guild (SAG)? SAG members have to (I think) have a minimum number of hours to join and maintain membership. They negotiate minimum payments, including residuals. This is why you see actors in even small parts still getting payments on reruns of episodes that aired years ago.

I think that reality show stars can't join SAG, though I'm not entirely sure why. From what I've read on these boards, the payments to the couples on this show are a pretty closely guarded secret but in general, the couples themselves report that they don't really make money on the show after you account for the time they take off from work, the expenses they have (clothes for the honeymoon and anything not covered by the show).

In other words, no one is getting rich off appearing on this show but they might make a little extra pocket money in the course of a season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2020 at 1:29 PM, gonecrackers said:

My MAFS conspiracy theory this season: Amelia & Bennett were already a couple & are doing the show for a free wedding, honeymoon, temporary living arrangements until her residency starts, whatever paycheck they offer, & exposure for actor Bennett (& his mom by default 🙄). Oh, also, the show is in on it because it's an easy "success story" = win-win for all involved.  😉

I had the exact same thought, so if you and I both thought it, it MUST be true!  I think they made up the "met at a party and maybe one other time" story up as a cover so they can at least be somewhat "honest" about having met before.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, cinsays said:

What?  if they are your friends, you want them to be comfortable at your wedding, so, no, I disagree.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, Elizzikra said:

I actually thought it was lovely of Olivia to have her wedding party in clothing that felt comfortable and attractive to them instead of forcing them to wear dresses if they didn't want to. I think it's rude when the bride imposes her personal style on the bridesmaids and makes them wear something clearly not their type.

If at the bare minimum a bride's personal style means that her bridesmaids wear a dress, I don't think that's too much to ask.  After all, it's the bride's wedding and her bridesmaids should be catering to HER this time.  At their wedding if it makes them happy for her to wear a tux even if she's not 100% comfortable in it, she should put aside her own comfort for their special day.

That said, if the bride is OK with her bridesmaids wearing a tux, that's fine too.

40 years ago I made the mistake of giving into the dress my bridesmaids agreed upon and I still have to look at those photos 40 years later and wish I had asked them to pick something else.  Meanwhile it was ONE day out of their lives and they have long forgotten what they wore or how uncomfortable they might have been in it (until I post it on Facebook, of course).  Of course, if they REALLY hated it and it would be a horrible thing for them to wear what I chose I'd pick something else.  I think some compromise needs to happen on both sides.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:50 PM, JapMo said:

Jaime and Doug.  The woman practically said it to Doug's face on the altar that she thought he was an ugly troll.  I believe her exact words were "there's nothing there to work with".  The ship got righted because Doug had the patience of a saint and Jaime, who had a terrible upbringing replete with drug addicted mother and unknown father, wanted a family so bad.   After 10+ years and 2 kids, Doug has really changed a lot and even though he still gives in to Jaime too much, he isn't the lapdog seeking crumbs of attention from Jaime anymore.  And she has calmed down once she got those kids and I think realizes Doug is the best man for her since no one else would put up with her sh*t as much as he does.

I actually think Doug got lucky with Jamie.  He would likely never have found a woman that attractive who found her niche on a TV show as a regular cast member and brings in the bucks while he continues to "find" himself or whatever it is he does besides take care of the kids.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I actually think Doug got lucky with Jamie.  He would likely never have found a woman that attractive who found her niche on a TV show as a regular cast member and brings in the bucks while he continues to "find" himself or whatever it is he does besides take care of the kids.

I definitely agree that he was attracted to her looks big time.  But I don't think Doug would be that upset if they weren't on TV anymore.  He seems to go along with it for Jaime, and yeah, their TV income has afforded them a much better lifestyle.  I remember Doug was trying to find himself 3-4 years ago, but I think he's got a job now, in software sales, I think.  At least that's what I remember...but it was a year or two ago.  They showed him taking a meeting from home.  It probably doesn't pay anywhere near what being on MAFS does, but like I said, I don't think he would be heartbroken if the show ended and they started living a normal life.  

Jaime had a LOT of baggage she brought to that marriage.  Her upbringing was chaotic, while Doug's was very stable.  Doug and his family have provided a calming influence on her, and finally experiencing motherhood has fulfilled her biggest dream.  She got pretty lucky with Doug.  

• Love 6
On 7/30/2020 at 1:53 PM, LaLaLaLa said:

Beyond the "reserved gentleman" facade, there is something deeper going on with Henry. He claims he hasn't been in a relationship in 4-5 years (and, based on his so-called reserved nature, that also means he hasn't had sex in that same timeframe), which for a guy his age raises lots of questions. I've known a few guys like this. I certainly don't know Henry but I've seen this scenario play out more than a couple times.

Henry is so mortifyingly shy and awkward that he probably has trouble getting past a few dates with any one woman.  It could mean he has too much social anxiety for most women to want to pursue a relationship with him.  If he's the way he has been with Christina so far with other women on dates, he hasn't been able to interest too many women, I'm sure.  He'd make anyone uncomfortable.  Plus I think some of his social awkwardness is an indication of problems within relationships too.  I agree with you that there is more dysfunction there, we just don't know what it is.  I too have seen this scenario before!

On 7/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, Silver Bells said:

Karen looks like a fuss pot.  Like she wants the perfect man. Nothing wrong with Miles.  She made a big deal out of the text like it was something bad.

I think part of the problem with her is fear of the unknown.  It's not a good idea to take something about a person out of context from other things about them and use that as a basis for giving them the "yay" or "nay".  It is an easy thing to do when you're taking a big risk on marrying a stranger, though.  You're already worrying that you're making a big mistake so of course you're going to find a reason to justify it.  Finding "evidence" only makes the fear worse.  It's hard to tell whether now that she's actually met him she's come to realize that those fears were unfounded.  I still worry that she is going to let that negative first impression of him blind her to anything she might have liked about him.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 9:36 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m probably the only one and I’m okay with that but I find Amelia and Bennett annoying and not as interesting as they’d like to think they are. 

I'd find them more interesting if I didn't feel like they were trying so hard to be interesting!

On 7/30/2020 at 9:49 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Henry is as boring as they get , but Christina is a pill . I agree with the poster that said they feel bad for both of them . Henry is a snooze fest and Christina seems like the type that doesn’t listen Or care about anything you say , she just talks right over you . There’s not gonna be anything between those two , except pillows to separate them . 

Christina doesn't seem like the kind of person with the patience to deal with someone with that much social anxiety.  It's going to grate on her.  She's not going to have the "aww poor thing, come to mama, I'll kiss it and make it better" attitude.  Just the opposite, in fact!

On 7/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, ShowFan said:

As someone said in one of the forums, Brett looks like he smells farts for a living 

My father would have said he looks like he has a "turd for a necktie".

On 7/31/2020 at 6:22 AM, Ms.C. said:

I was thinking Henry’s (girl) friends did this as a joke.   They were cruel.  

I think they got together and said, "Wouldn't it be a HOOT if we could get Henry on a reality show and get him matched up at the same time?"  Plus they wanted the TV exposure for themselves, too.  Maybe they knew he wasn't up to being on "The Bachelor" so they thought of this show.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:29 AM, Ms.C. said:

She said she wanted the nice guy who finishes last.   Just a nice guy.   I think that would have been Henry.  I don’t think she would judge him.  She would support and understand him IMO.  What a miss. 

I could see Olivia and Henry together, but I can't see Christina with Brett.  I think they would be just as bad a match as Christina with Henry in a different way.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:26 AM, absolutelyido said:

Henry said he is a medical recruiter. It would seem to me that job would require him talking to a lot of job candidates that he doesn't know. Yet Henry was barely able to look Christina in the eye or make any small talk. Although he is an introvert, I would think Henry would have learned to do those things through his job. Obviously, this is a much different situation, but still.

I think Henry's social anxiety is probably more acute with women than it is with the rest of the world.  He may be one of those people that is able to snap out of it for his career, but not with women.  Think of Raj on "Big Bang Theory".  He was able to talk to anyone with no problems except women for a long time!

On 7/31/2020 at 11:42 AM, Jack Sampson said:

Again, introverts shouldn't be allowed on the show.

It's not Henry's introversion that's the problem.  Zillions of introverts have ZERO problems forming relationships and not be awkward and pathetic with the opposite sex like Henry is.  His problem is social anxiety, and there's a big difference between that and introversion.  Introversion by itself is not dysfunctional and pathological, but Henry's behavior is. 

• Love 9
On 8/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, ChiMama said:
On 7/30/2020 at 2:10 PM, Empress1 said:

I think it's rude when the bride imposes her personal style on the bridesmaids and makes them wear something clearly not their type.

Actually, Amelia's bridesmaids seemed to be enjoying their ridiculous get ups because they were getting them attention.  I'm wondering if all that fringe has something to do with Mardi Gras costumes because I've noticed that a lot of them have fringe.  They reminded me of something but I can't put my finger on it.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, JapMo said:

I hate that too but I think that entire ridiculous baby shtick was producer instigated because the two of them have zero interesting going on in their lives together to make for good TV.  The two of them seem to be putting on an act for the cameras.  I just hate that it makes Deonna look bad, because I'm sure she's not that bad!  I think the producers picked up on some of the more annoying bits about her and made her exaggerate them for the show.  Greg is not a good actor so it's perfect for him just to be on the eye-rolling end of it.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Elizzikra said:

If she’s like most who took out huge loans for med school, she can’t afford to quit doctoring. She will have a hard enough time paying them back in family practice.

True, but from what I have been able to find out, both Amelia and Bennett come from families with money.  So I'm sure that whatever they do they'll have family support.  That said, I very much doubt that Amelia would give up her medical ambitions for Bennett, nor would he expect her to.  I don't think Bennett is THAT "quirky". 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JapMo said:

I definitely agree that he was attracted to her looks big time.  But I don't think Doug would be that upset if they weren't on TV anymore.  He seems to go along with it for Jaime, and yeah, their TV income has afforded them a much better lifestyle.  I remember Doug was trying to find himself 3-4 years ago, but I think he's got a job now, in software sales, I think.  At least that's what I remember...but it was a year or two ago.  They showed him taking a meeting from home.  It probably doesn't pay anywhere near what being on MAFS does, but like I said, I don't think he would be heartbroken if the show ended and they started living a normal life.  

Jaime had a LOT of baggage she brought to that marriage.  Her upbringing was chaotic, while Doug's was very stable.  Doug and his family have provided a calming influence on her, and finally experiencing motherhood has fulfilled her biggest dream.  She got pretty lucky with Doug.  

I heard that Doug doesn't have that job anymore but I got that info. from another thread on the board so I don't know if it's true.  Sure, he probably would like not having to do the show but he can't really complain about how she's parlayed the show and marriage into a lucrative career and taken the pressure off of him to be the major breadwinner, which looked like it was not easy for him to accomplish.  I don't know if I agree with you about how "lucky" Jamie got with Doug.  Other than stability I wonder just how much she compromised or settled to be with him and how much of that had to do with ensuring her continued TV exposure and the $$$ rolling in.  I suppose it was lucky for her to actually get on the show and be married so she could continue with her TV ambitions though that marriage.  She was just lucky that Doug wasn't a Luke or a Matt from previous seasons or she never would have been able to make it work!

• Love 4
On 7/31/2020 at 12:01 PM, Elizzikra said:

It's med school - she's a people doctor not a pet doctor. Someone above said she is going to do her residency in family practice. Residency match day is the third Friday in March. I don't know when this was filmed but it looked from the previews like she would find out where she matched after the wedding but during filming, so Bennett might have to move if he stays with her.

Manufactured by the producers as a problem for this couple. They are ideally matched from their family history and their stated interest and desires. They are both unconventional and appear to have tried to accept Unconventional people. They met twice and she definitely remembered him. I don't believe her moving for residency would be a big problem for BENNETT, in fact it'll be a plus, because everything he does right now when we're watching them get married is not a Covid job that he could continue to do. He doesn't have a great place to live although he's happy with his current living situation. They are very lucky that they will get some time to be together before she would have to leave for residency which was one month ago July 1). Since Covid came pretty soon after the wedding they would already have had their six weeks of marriage and decided to stay together or to break up long before she relocated. If you're staying together, I think you're staying together.  He's going to need a stay at home job anyway. Luckily I'm sure he's very well educated and can pivot said he wished him. And I suppose play writing is a stay at home job so he may well be fully employed.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:08 PM, Empress1 said:

Someone asks him about whether he’d be willing to move for her residency and they don’t show his answer. It’s a very fair question.

See above.  Of course it's a fair question, but they're not gonna answer it because this couple is not going to have a lot of conflict I believe so they need this as an issue.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, humbleopinion said:

Christina and Henry...oy vey!

Help me out here...what subset of men never sends or bring flowers?

Who are Christina's "type?"

Probably narcissist who think you should love them right away because they're so fabulous.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Elizzikra said:

Fortunately, her mother is a physician and she probably didn't need to take out extreme amounts of loans. The reason that it's fortunate, is that she can afford to go into family practice because that's what she wants to do.  Family practice is one of the lowest paying physician positions but if you don't have a lot of loans and you love it it's wonderful to be able to choose it.  She probably could afford to quit being a doctor but I don't think that that would happen I think she enjoys her work and is probably good at it despite people not wanting her to be their doctor because they're watching the show.  

Edited by Kira53
I never remember to proofread.
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 3:25 PM, humbleopinion said:

The most physically beautiful couple...Iris and Keith.

Iris endlessly went on and on about her virginny, flinching and shying away from any sex talk or touching.

Getting angry about Keith's friends going into the fridge and drinking her lemonade...she took offense at their opening the fridge and helping themselves to the drink she cannot share plus disrespectfully straying from her "designated party food."

Crazy. Rigid.

Iris and Keith broke my heart a little but I totally understand Keith’s decision. It was horribly unfair to pair him with a virgin and she lacked maturity.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, JapMo said:

6 hours ago, JapMo said:

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I heard that Doug doesn't have that job anymore but I got that info. from another thread on the board so I don't know if it's true.  Sure, he probably would like not having to do the show but he can't really complain about how she's parlayed the show and marriage into a lucrative career and taken the pressure off of him to be the major breadwinner, which looked like it was not easy for him to accomplish.  I don't know if I agree with you about how "lucky" Jamie got with Doug.  Other than stability I wonder just how much she compromised or settled to be with him and how much of that had to do with ensuring her continued TV exposure and the $$$ rolling in.  I suppose it was lucky for her to actually get on the show and be married so she could continue with her TV ambitions though that marriage.  She was just lucky that Doug wasn't a Luke or a Matt from previous seasons or she never would have been able to make it work!

I think people sometimes automatically  associate a laid back, somewhat passive guy with a nice guy. Doug does seem to be genuinely nice but he hid a large amount of credit card debt from Jamie and caused them to lose a bid on the first house of they bid on. He is the youngest in his family and is a bit coddled. I do not think he has much in the way of ambition. So as much as I like to rag on Jamie, he did get really lucky with her.

41 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

Manufactured by the producers as a problem for this couple. They are ideally matched from their family history and their stated interest and desires. They are both unconventional and appear to have tried to accept Unconventional people. They met twice and she definitely remembered him. I don't believe her moving for residency would be a big problem for BENNETT, in fact it'll be a plus, because everything he does right now when we're watching them get married is not a Covid job that he could continue to do. He doesn't have a great place to live although he's happy with his current living situation. They are very lucky that they will get some time to be together before she would have to leave for residency which was one month ago July 1). Since Covid came pretty soon after the wedding they would already have had their six weeks of marriage and decided to stay together or to break up long before she relocated. If you're staying together, I think you're staying together.  He's going to need a stay at home job anyway. Luckily I'm sure he's very well educated and can pivot said he wished him. And I suppose riding place is a stay at home job so he may well be fully employed.

See above.  Of course it's a fair question, but they're not gonna answer it because this couple is not going to have a lot of conflict I believe so they need this as an issue.

Probably narcissist who think you should love them right away because they're so fabulous.

Fortunately, her mother is a physician and she probably didn't need to take out extreme amounts of loans. The reason that it's fortunate, is that she can afford to go into family practice because that's what she wants to do.  Family practice is one of the lowest paying physician positions but if you don't have a lot of loans and you love it it's wonderful to be able to choose it.  She probably could afford to quit being a doctor but I don't think that that would happen I think she enjoys her work and is probably good at it despite people not wanting her to be their doctor because they're watching the show.  

I wonder what would be he reaction if Bennet was the doctor and Amelia was the pedicab driver? There probably be a lot of outcry about how lucky she was and how she was not “pretty” enough to land someone like him. 
There would be no thought of whether or not she would leave her pedicab job to follow him to residency. 

• Love 8
On 7/30/2020 at 4:33 PM, OnTime said:

Why are Amani and Woody starting to remind me of Chicago Sheila and Nate??

Is Woody younger than Amani?

YES! I thought I was the only one who was getting gross vibes from Woody. He's trying to hard and fawning too much. Something isn't genuine with him and I don't like it. 

17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If at the bare minimum a bride's personal style means that her bridesmaids wear a dress, I don't think that's too much to ask.  After all, it's the bride's wedding and her bridesmaids should be catering to HER this time.  At their wedding if it makes them happy for her to wear a tux even if she's not 100% comfortable in it, she should put aside her own comfort for their special day.

I'm a defective person. I don't wear dresses. I don't own one. I would forego an invitation to something that required a dress. It's just so incredibly uncomfortable that I can't even begin to explain it. So I don't buy into the "cater to" the bride's wishes. I'd decline the invite to be a bridesmaid. Not in a pissed way. I just can't do the dress thing. If Olivia was upset, she could have chosen other bridesmaids, or had only one. It made me happy that she had no problem with her friends dressing in a way that was comfortable for them. 

• Love 3

I am way late to the party for this episode due to being out of town last week, but I gotta say thanks to everyone for the laughs - some of the comments this week are hilarious.

To all the peeps who think Olivia would have been better with Henry, I say just no. I don't think Henry should have been chosen for this show. He is an uptight (judging by crazy dad's comments about his fastidiousness) introvert that his own (bitchy) friends say is boring. A woman whose favorite music artist is Lil Wayne is also going to friend zone him as well. He seems really strange to me. Poor Olivia (my name for her at this point) deserves someone better than EITHER of these two.

And it is obvious that this stupid show matched Henry and Cristina for the drama just as much as Brett and Olivia. There is no way these two are ever going to work. It is painful to watch. Henry is awkwardness personified and Cristina is just awful.

Love the weirdos (Bennett and Amelia), but my favorites right now are Woody and Amani. He is extra but it is waaaay more interesting than watching Henry stare at the floor. And Amani is low key funny as well. This season is already better than last season. Although I turned it off before "This season on Married at First Sight" so I wasn't instantly deflated by the drama to come.......

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

To all the peeps who think Olivia would have been better with Henry, I say just no. I don't think Henry should have been chosen for this show. He is an uptight (judging by crazy dad's comments about his fastidiousness) introvert that his own (bitchy) friends say is boring. A woman whose favorite music artist is Lil Wayne is also going to friend zone him as well. He seems really strange to me. Poor Olivia (my name for her at this point) deserves someone better than EITHER of these two.

At first I was in the Olivia should've been with Henry camp, but now I'm with you on this - Henry should've never been picked, & it's not just because of the coven following him around which I'm starting to find a bit creepy. Henry isn't a 'typical' introvert though; he's very odd. He's only very odd because he's a mystery to the audience & we don't understand what his deal is, but right now it looks like more than just social anxiety/awkwardness. It could be editing, because, they love to do things like this, but they're almost portraying him as... 'special'. He could be & still hold down a job, get married, be functional, etc. But he has no business being on this show, because if he has other issues you don't just put that on an unsuspecting stranger to marry; it's not fair to either one of them.  I have special needs kids & TBH I find them making him into sort of a side show downright offensive. I'm trying not to feel like that right now, though, because it's early yet, & I have yet to see how he does on his own with Christina & otherwise, so I'm holding on...

And here I go again with my mantra of the season ... poor Olivia😟

• Love 6
On 7/31/2020 at 11:46 AM, Jack Sampson said:

According to Google, she's been married since 2017.  I doubt she was trying to get on the show.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:47 AM, Empress1 said:

I noticed a sizeable rock on Trishelle’s finger; a quick Google search tells me she’s married. I more got the vibe that the brunette had “he’s supposed to be paying attention to ME” intentions. Trishelle didn’t seem to care that much about Henry; she just seemed drunk. The brunette was the one who was talking shit about everything & saying she didn’t respect Christina or the marriage.

Totally missed the wedding ring! Well then I still think it was her that pushed him to do the show so that she can be on tv again! 

2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

At first I was in the Olivia should've been with Henry camp, but now I'm with you on this - Henry should've never been picked, & it's not just because of the coven following him around which I'm starting to find a bit creepy. Henry isn't a 'typical' introvert though; he's very odd. He's only very odd because he's a mystery to the audience & we don't understand what his deal is, but right now it looks like more than just social anxiety/awkwardness. It could be editing, because, they love to do things like this, but they're almost portraying him as... 'special'. He could be & still hold down a job, get married, be functional, etc. But he has no business being on this show, because if he has other issues you don't just put that on an unsuspecting stranger to marry; it's not fair to either one of them.  I have special needs kids & TBH I find them making him into sort of a side show downright offensive. I'm trying not to feel like that right now, though, because it's early yet, & I have yet to see how he does on his own with Christina & otherwise, so I'm holding on...

And here I go again with my mantra of the season ... poor Olivia😟

@gonecrackers I too have a special needs kiddo, and I am not going to lie, but I thought it too. I really don't like labeling people, and it's really not fair to him to put that on him when we've seen what amounts to a few minutes of screen time, but he has some strange tics (scratching his head at the wedding) and odd mannerisms even besides the inability to make eye contact. I don't know what is going on with him, and maybe just being uncomfortable brings this out in him, but I don't think he should have been chosen for this at all.

At the very least, he was paired with a woman who is not going to be sensitive to these issues since as "the princess" she is used to people catering to her (other than not sending her flowers apparently), not the other way around. And someone who by her own admittance idolizes tv marriages (good lord) and could not be bothered to learn his name nor prioritize her stranger groom over her own earring crisis, she is going to be a disaster for him.

• Love 7

Wait, we've diagnosed Henry as "special needs" because he appears "awkward" and scratched his head?

Socially awkward doesn't mean he's on the spectrum of anything but nerves because he's marrying a stranger.  

I do not feel like a socially awkward person is being used by Lifetime for a show he signed up for.  Nor do I think he's anything but nervous.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Boo Boo said:

Wait, we've diagnosed Henry as "special needs" because he appears "awkward" and scratched his head?

Socially awkward doesn't mean he's on the spectrum of anything but nerves because he's marrying a stranger.  

I do not feel like a socially awkward person is being used by Lifetime for a show he signed up for.  Nor do I think he's anything but nervous.

I put a lot of qualifiers on why I was loathe to say that. But I do admit it crossed my mind while I was watching because some of those characteristics are things that someone on the spectrum would do. I am not saying he is anything other than awkward at this point. His wife is no prize either.......

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I put a lot of qualifiers on why I was loathe to say that. But I do admit it crossed my mind while I was watching because some of those characteristics are things that someone on the spectrum would do. I am not saying he is anything other than awkward at this point. His wife is no prize either.......

Yeah, I just notice that every time someone on a reality show is awkward, there are a lot of people that start diagnosing them with "on the spectrum" stuff.  I just thought the guy looks like someone who was likely a dorky kid, grew up attractive enough but still is in his dorky mindset and is now on a reality show and is nervous on camera!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Geez I never diagnosed Henry with anything. I said I think the show is portraying him as ..., & I don't like it.  I also said it's too early in the season to know for sure about anything yet, in so many words. Thought this was a board we can share our thoughts on but I"m not going to bother if this is what's going to happen, because it takes all the enjoyment out of discussing the show. 🙄

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Geez I never diagnosed Henry with anything. I said I think the show is portraying him as ..., & I don't like it.  I also said it's too early in the season to know for sure about anything yet, in so many words. Thought this was a board we can share our thoughts on but I"m not going to bother if this is what's going to happen, because it takes all the enjoyment out of discussing the show. 🙄

You posited "but they're almost portraying him as... 'special'."   And then your followup comments were basically he could still be, hold down a job, get married, be functional but they shouldn't have him on the show.  You are basically speculating he is special needs.    .

It's just very hard to understand how you made the leap to they are editing out to make him appear "special."  And when I saw the 'special' it just read very insulting to special needs children.  Making that leap to me makes it sound like because you find him odd, either he is special needs or they are portraying them to be. I'm really uncomfortable with equating odd with special needs.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

You posited "but they're almost portraying him as... 'special'."   And then your followup comments were basically he could still be, hold down a job, get married, be functional but they shouldn't have him on the show.  You are basically speculating he is special needs.    When you share your thoughts, you should expect people to share theirs in response.

It's just very hard to understand how you made the leap to they are editing out to make him appear "special."  And when I saw the 'special' it just read very insulting to special needs children.

I have several special needs children, so to say I'm insulting them is insulting to me.

I was speculating on how the show is portraying him - that's it.

I won't make this mistake again this season. I'm out.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I have several special needs children, so to say I'm insulting them is insulting to me.

I was speculating on how the show is portraying him - that's it.

I won't make this mistake again this season. I'm out.

Don't leave b/c of my discomfort with the speculation.  

I have a nephew with autism and a cousin with Downs.  I find it upsetting when their conditions are associated with being weird, so that's where my sensitivity is.  

This board is us talking about an episode and sharing our thoughts.  If I speculate on something, I fully expect discourse about it.   Those were my thoughts in response is all!  I'll drop it.

Edited by Boo Boo