Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
greekmom

Love On The Spectrum

A 5 episode documentary series following young adults on the autism spectrum as they explore the unpredictable world of love, dating and relationships.

• Like 1

I loved this so much.  It wasn't scripted and very real.  

My favourite participates had to be Mark, Michael and Andrew who I hope they all find someone to love.  They all (and I do mean ALL) of the participates seemed to be able to have lots to give to a partner.

Jimmy and Sharnae were my favourite couple hands down. Especially how gitty they were on the trip with the hotel room, the issue with the socks and how Sharnae was like ok let's get you some navy socks. The proposal, everything!

The one that got on my nerves a bit was Olivia.  Her attitude on how she's an actress and how she acted on the dates (really burping on all 3 dates!) did grate on my nerves.

They are lucky they have such groups to be able to do some social interaction, speed dating, and the relationship coach Jodi.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

I watched all the eps in a row and my heart burst and now I ded.

Yes!  Through the whole thing my heart just kept melting at how sweet everyone was.

• Like 3

Until Love on the Spectrum, Please Like Me was my favourite show ever on Netflix. Now they are tied for the top. What a grrrrrrrreat show! Love on the Spectrum made me so happy 🥰

A few of the Love on the Spectrum cast members are heaps and piles more watchable (and interesting) than some of the best actors or personalities in the business. I would absolutely watch a show just about Maddi or Michael. Maddi is super cool and quirky and naturally funny. And the way Michael expresses himself is thoughtful and funny and unique. I want to hear what Maddi and Michael think about things. So many of the loudest or most retweeted or amplified voices are not the ones I want to hear; I want to hear more from Michael or Maddi. I hope we get a second season. A couple of them (Kelvin, Andrew) stressed me out a little bit, because they seemed stressed I guess.

The Detectorists is my favourite show on Amazon Prime, not that anybody is asking.

Edited by GoldaVining · Reason: clarity
  • Like 2

Okay, I watched all five in a row and I must preface that I am a special education teacher who is the Autism Consult for her building.  So, yes, I may have seen this through a different lens.

This show brought so much joy!  Maddi, Mark and Michael:  DO NOT CHANGE.  You are awesome.

Olivia:  Stop it.  Stop the burping, stop the farting and no, your sweet date was NOT making fun of your disability.  You guys were dancing and he was attempting to pick up on a social cue.  And PLEASE stop the dialogue of "there are no tests for females."  I have tested many many children and they are for everyone.  

Jimmy and Sharnae:  Sorry, but Sharnae, to me, was not autistic.  Socially odd, sure, but she was too social, too aware of things to be autistic.  It is over diagnosed (trust me, I have two sets of parents right now who think their kids are autistic and I am like, no......they are NOT.)

I knew Kelvin was WAY too rigid to be successful on a date.  He needs more coaching, and that is fine!  Same with Andrew.

Michael.....how much love did I have when he met Dawn Wells?  I knew his formal sit down date was going to go haywire  - you could see it in her eyes that she was overwhelmed.

Mark - not everyone wants a Master Class on dinosaurs.

The parents were so supportive and sweet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Jimmy and Sharnae:  Sorry, but Sharnae, to me, was not autistic.  Socially odd, sure, but she was too social, too aware of things to be autistic.  It is over diagnosed (trust me, I have two sets of parents right now who think their kids are autistic and I am like, no......they are NOT.)

It's so interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who's trained in this area. 

I loved Jimmy and Sharnae as a couple, but you're right. She was incredibly supportive of him, and very alert to his moods and quick to talk him through his meltdowns. I thought she was lovely, but also extremely social, observant and functional. I did wonder about her diagnosis. I'm not in a position to judge either way, but if this is your professional opinion, I can see why you would say this. 

19 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Olivia:  Stop it.  Stop the burping, stop the farting and no, your sweet date was NOT making fun of your disability.  You guys were dancing and he was attempting to pick up on a social cue. 

Olivia was an interesting one. Extremely smart and also at times very humorous. Clearly a partner for her would have to be on a similar intellectual level. But then most dates would probably object to the behaviour you described, as well as the hysterical giggling and jumping. But again, as a non-expert I couldn't tell if these behaviours were voluntary, bad habits or completely out of her control. I can see how they could rub many people the wrong way. 

I'm sad none of them found a match, even though I understand why. I'm hoping at least one or two of them do in the future. Or at least, some really good friends. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

It's so interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who's trained in this area. 

I loved Jimmy and Sharnae as a couple, but you're right. She was incredibly supportive of him, and very alert to his moods and quick to talk him through his meltdowns. I thought she was lovely, but also extremely social, observant and functional. I did wonder about her diagnosis. I'm not in a position to judge either way, but if this is your professional opinion, I can see why you would say this. 

Olivia was an interesting one. Extremely smart and also at times very humorous. Clearly a partner for her would have to be on a similar intellectual level. But then most dates would probably object to the behaviour you described, as well as the hysterical giggling and jumping. But again, as a non-expert I couldn't tell if these behaviours were voluntary, bad habits or completely out of her control. I can see how they could rub many people the wrong way. 

I'm sad none of them found a match, even though I understand why. I'm hoping at least one or two of them do in the future. Or at least, some really good friends. 

Thank you for your thoughts.  I think these fine folks would have more success if they double dated with neurotypical friends.  It would help to be a buffer when times get tight.  I knew the young lady on the formal date was going to cave, and she did.  I see this on the daily at school (when we had school, lol!)

ASD is, to me, very overdiagnosed.  I have two kids on my caseload who got a diagnosis from a center here that is known for slapping everyone with a diagnosis.  It is harmful as one child has severe behavior/emotional issues and to focus on non existant ASD takes the focus off his very real issues.

I think with Olivia, her jumping/dancing is mainly what we call stimming, but she is very aware of it.  She flipped SO quickly to "You are making fun of my disability" when he was just trying to be nice.  She was a bit of an attention queen, good thing she is in a theater group, lol!!

I will take it further with Sharnae/Jimmy:  It felt a little unseemly to me as it felt, to me, that she was taking advantage of him as he is clearly in the middle of the spectrum.  But hey they are adults, right?

Andrew......you sweet man!!   "Am I making you uncomfortable with my directions?"

The young lady who said she loved penguins because they walk like her......LOVE HER!

And people, I LOVE my ASD kiddos.  They, and the EBD kids are MY PEEPS!  (EBD is Emotional Behavior Disorder.)

I have heard everything that kids perseverate on:  tuxedos, shoes, socks, the Titanic, China, Ford Trucks (not Chevy).....heard it all!!!

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Thank you for your thoughts.  I think these fine folks would have more success if they double dated with neurotypical friends.  It would help to be a buffer when times get tight.  I knew the young lady on the formal date was going to cave, and she did.  I see this on the daily at school (when we had school, lol!)

I discussed this episode with my daughter who is a PSW, caring for a young man with autism. Michael reminded us of him SO MUCH. 

We both agreed that going to dinner with a blind date had to be 10/10 on the stress and awkwardness scale for people without autism! It seemed unfair to expect 2 people on the spectrum to manage this alone, plus the added stress of cameras. I think a group activity would be a far better way for them to meet possible partners. I liked your suggestion too. 

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I will take it further with Sharnae/Jimmy:  It felt a little unseemly to me as it felt, to me, that she was taking advantage of him as he is clearly in the middle of the spectrum.  But hey they are adults, right?

Have you heard that comedian Amy Schumer is married to a man on the spectrum? I watched her series and they seemed very happy. I thought of them when I saw how compatible Sharnae and Jimmy seemed. I noticed how despite how much she helps him, other times you see him explaining things to her that she doesn't understand. I feel like if I were Jimmy's mother I'd be happy with their relationship. Then again, we only saw a shallow overview of both of them. 

I enjoyed how respectful the show was of the participants, but did wonder if some of them maybe had other issues, like fits of anger, that weren't shown. I say this based on knowing my daughter's client. He can be so sweet but also volatile. I'm glad the show didn't show this, because it would intrude on their privacy and dignity, but I did wonder if unseen factors like this led to their being alone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I discussed this episode with my daughter who is a PSW, caring for a young man with autism. Michael reminded us of him SO MUCH. 

We both agreed that going to dinner with a blind date had to be 10/10 on the stress and awkwardness scale for people without autism! It seemed unfair to expect 2 people on the spectrum to manage this alone, plus the added stress of cameras. I think a group activity would be a far better way for them to meet possible partners. I liked your suggestion too. 

Have you heard that comedian Amy Schumer is married to a man on the spectrum? I watched her series and they seemed very happy. I thought of them when I saw how compatible Sharnae and Jimmy seemed. I noticed how despite how much she helps him, other times you see him explaining things to her that she doesn't understand. I feel like if I were Jimmy's mother I'd be happy with their relationship. Then again, we only saw a shallow overview of both of them. 

I enjoyed how respectful the show was of the participants, but did wonder if some of them maybe had other issues, like fits of anger, that weren't shown. I say this based on knowing my daughter's client. He can be so sweet but also volatile. I'm glad the show didn't show this, because it would intrude on their privacy and dignity, but I did wonder if unseen factors like this led to their being alone. 

Yes I saw that Amy Schumers hubby is and on the spectrum, and I watched their cooking show and he is uber high functioning.  Jimmy is not.  Jimmy lost it when extra people were in the pub, let alone the navy docks incident.  I am happy for Sharnae and Jimmy, it was just....odd that she would choose a (in my opinion) a vulnerable adult.  

I want Michael to be my neighbor!!!

1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes I saw that Amy Schumers hubby is and on the spectrum, and I watched their cooking show and he is uber high functioning. 

That's for sure. Deciding who is and isn't on the spectrum must be incredibly complex and at times controversial. For example I know a man well who I can totally picture having the issues with strangers that Jimmy had, or a meltdown over the wrong socks, yet he's considered to just be very shy and introverted with bad social anxiety. Otherwise he functions fairly well. I don't want to sidetrack the thread into a discussion of the autism spectrum but I can see it's a complicated, interesting area of medicine. I'll have to do more reading. 

In other news, my daughter, after thinking about it for a couple of days, showed her client (the one who is so much like Michael) the first episode of the series and he LOVED it. They're watching one episode per day. She felt comfortable doing it because of the show's sensitive and non-exploitive treatment of people on the spectrum. I know he'll tell her if he wants to stop watching. 

• Like 2

Found this show early today and watched every episode.

Loved, loved, loved Ruth and Thomas!

I was so happy to see Michael meet Dawn Wells! Andrew is adorable. There was something about Kelvin that I just loved. He really wants to find someone and it will take a bit of work to get him ready. I agree with others that Sharnae was not on the spectrum but her reaction to his proposal was just awesome.

I want more episodes!

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 8:33 AM, configdotsys said:

There was something about Kelvin that I just loved.

For me, it was his declaration that he wants to find someone who smells like orange juice. I hope somewhere out there is a girl named Tropicana, waiting for him.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Like 1