Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Öga for Öga

• Start Topic

With as much attention that the Civil Rights movement is getting, I find it jarring that no one says anything to or treats Lila any different. With Latino parents who lived in Texas during this time period, I can tell you that they were not treated much like differently than black people during this time,  and I assume the same is true for other brown people. The bingo scene had me waiting for someone to tell Lila to leave. 

• Love 15

Ben possessing Klaus was fun. Finding out that his crush had already played in the sex swing with Klaus was not fun for Ben!

The massacre at the lodge was a little much, but well choreographed. Loved the woman tackling Five right before he got to AJ because he destroyed the vending machine. Diego digging a grave for Elliott was dang thoughtful, although it certainly did mess the plan up. I've been suspicious of Carl from the get go, so I was a bit more worried about what was going to happen when he insisted that Vanya drive him to his friends. I was afraid Allison had lost her voice again, glad she was able to rumor the #1 Swede, but I suspect that he will not forget that anytime soon.

• Love 3

I find it jarring that Diego isn’t constantly being attacked for his hair length alone, especially in a conservative place like Dallas. People forget how much of a thing long hair on males was in that era. The Beatles, who hit the U.S. the next year, were considered to have very long hair and their hair was shorter than Diego’s. Ditto for Klaus, who would have fit in perfectly in the mid-sixties, but not in 1961. San Francisco wasn’t hippie heaven at that point either.

• Love 15

Ben not leaving Klaus's body seemed out of character for him, even though it was played for laughs.

I also miss the Klaus/Diego relationship dynamic from last season where they were much closer. Here it seems as if Diego doesn't care about Klaus.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Frisson said:

With as much attention that the Civil Rights movement is getting, I find it jarring that no one says anything to or treats Lila any different. With Latino parents who lived in Texas during this time period, I can tell you that they were not treated much like differently than black people during this time,  and I assume the same is true for other brown people. The bingo scene had me waiting for someone to tell Lila to leave. 

I had the same thoughts. I would have assumed most people would have just assumed Lila was Mexican and treated her accordingly. Which would have been to tell her to leave. Diego can pass for white with a tan but Lila, no. Anyway, I loved the goodbye scene with Ray and Alison. They felt like they had a mature, loving relationship, and Ray comes off as a solid man. I loved that he turned down Alison's offer to Sunshine of the Spotless Mind him.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

Diego and Luther calling a death threat to some poor old lady named Olga is peak Hargreeves second gen.

Aw, Ben is in love and can't do anything about it except through Klaus.  How terrible for him. 

I swear the Handler went to the Effie Trinkett school of fashion. I wonder if the briefcase would have taken them back to 2019 and everything would have been really ok?  Or if she had a nasty surprise for them.  If it was on the up and up then it leads weight to the theory that it is their continued presence in 1963 and something they do explicitly that causes the escalation of the war.

Lila really doesn't fall far from the tree.  I am having a hard time holding onto the positive feelings I had for her in the first couple eps.  I liked her as the snarky fellow mental hospital inmate.  This person who seems to have no problems with treating Diego like shit up to and including drugging him and lugging him around like baggage is getting on my nerves. Did she even finish poor Elliot's burial?

Ray and Allison broke my heart.  That fight (to the Backstreet Boys no less) was pretty intense, tho.

And so far Klaus' cult has been built on lyrics by:  TLC and Gloria Gaynor and named after Destiny's Child. 

• Love 3

How was there a 1982 for Five to travel to if there's a nuclear war in 1963?   Or maybe until it actually happens, it hasn't happened.   If that makes sense.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 6

I though Carl was going to do a lot worse to Vanya and end up vaporized. But using his own kid as threat was also very low. 

I am also surprised Lila is walking around place with no one saying anything to her. Especially in the all white retirement bingo hall or the hotel her mom is staying at. 

I liked the Five vs Vanya showdown and how powerful they both are. Plus it shows how much more control Vanya had over her powers now. 

If I were Alison I'd start wearing a metal choker around my throat. People who know her power are always going to go for her throat first. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Yeah, it is kind of weird how much of the story is focused on some issues of the early 60s, like LGBTQ rights and the civil rights movement, but other things are kind of ignored, or the 60s are kind of treated as one monolithic time period, when really, the early 60s were culturally much closer to what we think of as the 50s, and the 60s as we think of it didnt really start until later. 

I love how Five was immediately horrified that he would only have ninety minutes to gather up his siblings to get back to 2019, he knew right away that getting all his siblings together in such a short amount of time would be damn near impossible! Getting the Hargreeves all together when you want them together is like herding cats. Particularly unruly cats that also have superpowers. 

The quick Vanya and Five stand off got intense real fast, even if I was pretty sure that they at least wouldn't actually come to blows. Vanya had good intentions trying to give Sissy and Harlan the option to leave (although Sissy might have been a bit more hesitant if she knew that time travel was involved in them leaving) but I knew that it would end badly. The state trooper was lucky that he is even still alive. 

Diego and Luther calling some random old lady named Olga to yell at her because they didn't realize it that the writing was Swedish was freaking hilarious, these goobers I swear. "...wrong number. Have a nice day." 

Poor Ben, its hard to be a ghost with a crush. I am really really glad that he got to talk to Diego though, you can tell how much he has missed talking to the rest of his family. 

Allison getting one of the Swedes to kill the other was brutal, Allison plays for keeps when she decides to play. Considering I think that she did something similar in the flashback to their first foiled bank robbery to some robbers, maybe that was one of her trademark moves?

Screw you Lila, you drugged Diego and didn't even finish burying Elliot!  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, 128survivor said:

Who was the girl Allison mentioned from 2019. I don’t remember her from last season 

Claire? That's her daughter. I don't remember her mentioning any other girl but I already don't remember a lot of details despite having just finished the season on Saturday so!

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Claire? That's her daughter. I don't remember her mentioning any other girl but I already don't remember a lot of details despite having just finished the season on Saturday so!

Thank you !

forgot all about her 

With Latino parents who lived in Texas during this time period, I can tell you that they were not treated much like differently than black people during this time,  and I assume the same is true for other brown people.

With a lot of television, it seems like writers get tunnel vision on the specific characters they decide write a storyline for and don't think about how those issues would affect other characters in the cast. The lack of attention to how civil rights issues would affect Diego and Lila bothered me, too. 

Doesn't Vanya need a sound-based trigger for her powers? She rang the tone before exploding the fruit in the dinner, but suddenly seems to have evolved past that. I thought Carl was menacing in his speech to her, but justified. She was actively trying to destroy his marriage and take his son away. But it is in character for Vanya to be self-centered like that. 

I don't see how the show could do it, but I would laugh and laugh if Lila recruited Diego to run security for the Commission with her. It seems like a good fit for him. It's not a stretch to see the Commission's mission of preserving the timeline making them the good guys. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 128survivor said:
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Thank you !

forgot all about her 

So did the writers until now, apparently. As others have commented in earlier episodes, it's hard to believe that Allison has not mentioned her daughter before this, considering how anguished she was in the first season about being kept apart from her.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Paloma said:

So did the writers until now, apparently. As others have commented in earlier episodes, it's hard to believe that Allison has not mentioned her daughter before this, considering how anguished she was in the first season about being kept apart from her.

Yea, that was a mistake. Personally, I actually forgot Allison had a daughter until she mentioned it, but still!

• Love 2

Is it weird that I felt bad for the goldfish?

So it appears that Five used his own power to travel from 1963 to 1982, and back again. He didn't get a briefcase from the Handler until he got back from his mission. So since when has he mastered his time traveling abilities to that extent? And if so, why does he need the briefcase? I get that maybe it's harder for him to bring along his siblings considering what happened the last time he tried that, but still. His ability to travel to a specific date in 1982 and then back again to 1963 means he has really improved his abilities.

The visual of Klaus trying to rip Ben out of his body was hilarious.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is it weird that I felt bad for the goldfish?

Hey, that goldfish did everything in the Commission’s power to try to keep the 2019 Apocalypse on track last season, so F him. Not that I think the Handler would make a better overlord, just a different kind of terrible...

• Love 6

I need to go back and respond as best I can per episode but I wanted to say how much I am appreciating the emotional beats with the core seven. There’s a lot more interaction and heart this time around and it’s much appreciated

• Love 7

The Klaus possession was played for laughs, but I found some (a lot?) of it seriously disturbing! I did like Ben getting to talk to Diego, though. (Although I do question why Klaus wouldn't know the answer to the Teddy Ruxpin question if Ben and Diego (and Allison, and presumably Luther) all knew.)

• Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 7:43 PM, saoirse said:

The massacre at the lodge was a little much, but well choreographed.

Murdering people with an ax is a bit much. I believe we are supposed to sympathize with Five when he kills indiscriminately - and on orders from the Time Commission - but we are not supposed to be sympathetic to the Swedes, who are no different from what Five was (and is, again). 

10 hours ago, sskrill said:

You know, I gave Vanya a lot of leeway given how the father treated her but screw her. 

Yeah .. Vanya has amnesia - but has not bothered to ask anyone any relevant questions to piece things back together on her own. Instead, she is attempting to run away with a woman she has only known for four months.  Despite having no memories or money, Vanya seems to think that she knows what is right for a married woman who has spent eight years raising a special needs kid with her husband.  Carl may be a semi-jerk, but I can see why he would fight to keep his family. 
Vanya, Klaus and Diego seem to only care about things that matter to them. 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:39 PM, moonorchid said:

I wanted to say how much I am appreciating the emotional beats with the core seven.

Unfortunately, the  poignant emotional scenes for the core characters feel manipulative to me. The actors are good and really sell their scenes - - but those scenes don't fit with the overall zany atmosphere of the show. It seems wrong to have realistic scenes of the Civil Rights Movement, bigotry, homophobia, etc - and then jump to a kitschy scene with The Handler and the Time Commission - - or time-travelling, cat-loving Swedish assassins. It feels like emotional whiplash.. (just my opinion..) 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Murdering people with an ax is a bit much. I believe we are supposed to sympathize with Five when he kills indiscriminately - and on orders from the Time Commission - but we are not supposed to be sympathetic to the Swedes, who are no different from what Five was (and is, again). 

That bothers me, too. Five is not one of my favorite characters anyway, although I'm sympathetic to his desperation to fix things. But he was/is a brutal murderer just like the Swedes, and "just following orders" should not be a justification.  

11 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Instead, she is attempting to run away with a woman she has only known for four months.  Despite having no memories or money, Vanya seems to think that she knows what is right for a married woman who has spent eight years raising a special needs kid with her husband.  Carl may be a semi-jerk, but I can see why he would fight to keep his family. 

I don't even think Carl is a jerk, he's just a product of the time/place, and probably would be considered a good catch.  I feel like a lot of men at that time would have handled finding out their wife is cheating w a woman much more poorly.  He just made it clear he wanted V to move on.

And Vanya wasn't even honest about where she expected them to go.  How about Sissy's parents and family?  You take her 60 years through time and think she isn't going to be upset about suddenly losing her family?  Her parents would be dead, her siblings/family likely also would be dead, and Vanya thinks this is ok to sacrifice because she wants what she wants. 

Yeah, screw her.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sskrill said:

And Vanya wasn't even honest about where she expected them to go.  How about Sissy's parents and family?  You take her 60 years through time and think she isn't going to be upset about suddenly losing her family?  Her parents would be dead, her siblings/family likely also would be dead, and Vanya thinks this is ok to sacrifice because she wants what she wants. 

Yeah, screw her.

Yeah, I re-watched that scene and Vanya was way out of pocket.  She didn't tell Sissy where they were going, she talked over her when it was clear Sissy had reservations and wanted to take a moment to think, but Vanya just steamrollered her.  She wanted to disappear Sissy and Harlan without a trace.  Which is pretty fucked up given that Carl really didn't do anything wrong, but be a man his wife didn't want to be married to.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I believe we are supposed to sympathize with Five when he kills indiscriminately - and on orders from the Time Commission - but we are not supposed to be sympathetic to the Swedes, who are no different from what Five was (and is, again). 

I think the difference is that Five is killing (at the moment, anyway) because he's been told that if he does, he can save his siblings and avert the apocalypse. As far as we know, the Swedes are killing just because they've been told to (and more recently, to avenge their brother, which is more understandable, but still not on par with saving lives/ the world). I don't know if Five is meant to be sympathetic, or if he should be forgiven his crimes, but I do think his motivation is more understandable than just "hired assassin."

On 8/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, iMonrey said:

So it appears that Five used his own power to travel from 1963 to 1982, and back again. He didn't get a briefcase from the Handler until he got back from his mission. So since when has he mastered his time traveling abilities to that extent? And if so, why does he need the briefcase? I get that maybe it's harder for him to bring along his siblings considering what happened the last time he tried that, but still. His ability to travel to a specific date in 1982 and then back again to 1963 means he has really improved his abilities.

I assumed the Handler arranged his travel, but... yeah, they could have made that clearer.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, Frisson said:

With as much attention that the Civil Rights movement is getting, I find it jarring that no one says anything to or treats Lila any different.

I swear someone brought this up recently, either on an earlier episode thread or on one of the larger social issues threads in the "Everything TV" section, but I couldn't find it. But going off memory, I think the poster mentioned that visiting minorities from outside the U.S. sometimes got treated differently/ better. So I could see Lila's British accent maybe helping her out some. That and the fact that (at least in the bingo scene) she was accompanied by a rich-looking white lady.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 4:36 PM, Frisson said:

I noticed this as well and meant to mention it during the consulate scene (where she would have been welcome). 

On 8/1/2020 at 10:02 PM, Yokosmom said:

I find it jarring that Diego isn’t constantly being attacked for his hair length alone, especially in a conservative place like Dallas. People forget how much of a thing long hair on males was in that era. The Beatles, who hit the U.S. the next year, were considered to have very long hair and their hair was shorter than Diego’s. Ditto for Klaus, who would have fit in perfectly in the mid-sixties, but not in 1961. San Francisco wasn’t hippie heaven at that point either.

I think we have seen Klaus attacked for his hair and clothes, which is why it's weirder that Diego hasn't even raised an eyebrow. 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Anyway, I loved the goodbye scene with Ray and Alison. They felt like they had a mature, loving relationship, and Ray comes off as a solid man. I loved that he turned down Alison's offer to Sunshine of the Spotless Mind him.

I adored everything about this scene and I loved a really solid example of a healthy, loving and mature relationship. 

On 8/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

I love how Five was immediately horrified that he would only have ninety minutes to gather up his siblings to get back to 2019, he knew right away that getting all his siblings together in such a short amount of time would be damn near impossible! Getting the Hargreeves all together when you want them together is like herding cats. Particularly unruly cats that also have superpowers. 

I could not stop giggling that each of them has just one more thing.

10 hours ago, sskrill said:

I don't even think Carl is a jerk, he's just a product of the time/place, and probably would be considered a good catch.  I feel like a lot of men at that time would have handled finding out their wife is cheating w a woman much more poorly.  He just made it clear he wanted V to move on.

Yeah, screw her.

Nah. Fuck Carl. Just because he is a product of his time doesn't mean he isn't an asshole. From lying to his wife to go to the strip club to treating her like a doormat to using his kid, who he never talks to and openly mocks in front of him, to using his family police connections to make sure Sissy stays put, he can go to hell. Sissy has been saving up to leave him and expressly said she was scared he would use the police to track her down. Just because he doesn't beat her doesn't mean he doesn't treat her like shit. Sissy has made it more than clear that she feels trapped and desperate. The asshole in the diner was a product of his time. So was the officer beating Ray. They are still assholes. Carl is also an asshole. 

I don't think Vanya told Sissy enough, but she did ask Sissy to trust her and she didn't really have time to explain. Had they made it, would Sissy be relieved or irate or heartbroken? I am not actually sure. Her choices were to be completely isolated with a special needs kid whose resources are basically nonexistant, a husband who treats her like property, and a small coffee can of hope that maybe she can run to Oklahoma if her husband doesn't track her down. I mean, she can't even get a fucking credit card or seek a divorce or get a job without Carl's permission (oh, and her salary would also be controlled by him). And it's absolutely clear that Carl has 0 reservations about using her kiddo as a pawn in all of it. 

I think Vanya didn't think it through. This wasn't a well developed plan. Losing her family and being put into an entirely new world would have been really awful for Sissy. However, I don't think it's at all fair to say Vanya isn't trying to do something she believes Sissy would want in the context of what we know.

ETA: I forgot to add my love for Kate Walsh and The Handler. That scene with her in the dress with the epaulets was phenomenal (and she is fire in stilettos draped across the bed). Like, I know she is evil but I can't help also finding her delightful as she taps on the glass of her rival.

Edited by The Companion
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, The Companion said:

Nah. Fuck Carl. Just because he is a product of his time doesn't mean he isn't an asshole. From lying to his wife to go to the strip club to treating her like a doormat to using his kid, who he never talks to and openly mocks in front of him, to using his family police connections to make sure Sissy stays put, he can go to hell. Sissy has been saving up to leave him and expressly said she was scared he would use the police to track her down. Just because he doesn't beat her doesn't mean he doesn't treat her like shit. Sissy has made it more than clear that she feels trapped and desperate. The asshole in the diner was a product of his time. So was the officer beating Ray. They are still assholes. Carl is also an asshole. 

I agree. With the exception of Gay rights I find the product of their time defense seriously overstated. This was nearly 10 years after Brown v the Board of Education. The Women’s Rights Movement is getting started. There are plenty of people at the time who would consider what we’re seeing to be sexism. These assholes are actively fighting to hold in the these beliefs. Clearly the can’t be judged as harshly as they would today but those views were rapidly becoming out of date even at the time. 

Oh, I get why and how Carl would think that he is justified in his actions. Women and children were still close to property of their husbands.

However, if Vanya had been a guy who had beaten him, he would most likely have backed off. So, I do judge him as a bully. He knows and he thinks he can bully Sissy into staying and blackmail Vanya into leaving. I don't think he would have tried that with a guy. 

I judge the attitudes and laws of the times, and that means, to a point, I can judge people who benefit from and take advantage of them. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Oh, I get why and how Carl would think that he is justified in his actions. Women and children were still close to property of their husbands.

However, if Vanya had been a guy who had beaten him, he would most likely have backed off. So, I do judge him as a bully. He knows and he thinks he can bully Sissy into staying and blackmail Vanya into leaving. I don't think he would have tried that with a guy. 

I judge the attitudes and laws of the times, and that means, to a point, I can judge people who benefit from and take advantage of them. 

Yep. Just because the laws are there doesn't mean you have to use them to control and threaten your wife. Doubly so for the abuse of power that involved invoking police power to intimidate. EVEN IF you buy into the paternalistic and gross idea that women are these wilting flowers who can't manage their own funds, that isn't what is happening here. Carl isn't being protective of his wife, who he thinks has been taken advantage of. He isn't worried for his son. He is mad because Vanya is threatening to take his property. 

• Love 2

My feelings about Carl are based on what the show explicitly presented.   Until Carl saw Sissy and Vanya making out, he was presented as really just a rather absentee husband who left the raising of the kid and the making of home to his wife.  Our knowledge of Sissy's unhappiness in her marriage came from what we saw of her interactions with Vanya, not from her interactions with Carl.  We saw Carl's own unhappiness when he was drunk because he knows he wife doesn't love him and suspects why.  He literally says to Vanya "You are lucky, you are a blank slate.  The rest of us are stuck with who we are."  He was more pitiable in that scene than anything else.

It wasn't until Carl saw Sissy and Vanya macking, that he got a little mean. This is explicit verification of what he only suspected or they allowed to leave unspoken.  He deserves to feel some type of way about that. 

And even then we never saw Carl get violent.  All he wanted to do was separate his wife from her lover.  He had no obligation or even need to ask Vanya to leave his house.  If he really was a complete asshole he could have literally thrown her out on the street with just the clothes on her back.  He didn't need to threaten her with Harlan, because Vanya literally had no rights to stay in his house in the first place.  His conversation with Vanya felt like the type of posturing a person does against his romantic rival more than anything.

And I disagree that calling the police was an just an intimidation or bullying tactic.  His wife left him a note obviously telling him she was  leaving him and taking his kid away.  I don't understand why him calling the police to stop them isn't completely understandable under those circumstances?  And iirc, he couldn't run after them himself because hadn't he given Vanya the keys to the car? Under what logical circumstance would he or should he be ok with Sissy just up and leaving?  Especially since it has long been established they know absolutely nothing about where Vanya came from and dude, her name is 'Vanya' (Russian) and, If anything, Sissy should be the one starting to give Vanya a side eye after all that.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

My feelings about Carl are based on what the show explicitly presented.   Until Carl saw Sissy and Vanya making out, he was presented as really just a rather absentee husband who left the raising of the kid and the making of home to his wife.  Our knowledge of Sissy's unhappiness in her marriage came from what we saw of her interactions with Vanya, not from her interactions with Carl.  We saw Carl's own unhappiness when he was drunk because he knows he wife doesn't love him and suspects why.  He literally says to Vanya "You are lucky, you are a blank slate.  The rest of us are stuck with who we are."  He was more pitiable in that scene than anything else.

Carl was pitiable in that scene. He was significantly less so in the one before it ranting about the Russians and taking a swing at Luther. I see him as a bully acting out of fear to try and maintain control. In some ways Sissy is trapped between two people trying to bully her into what they think she should do. Carl trying to save her from the evil Russian lesbian and Vanya trying to save her from the time period. 

Okay, so Five might be feeling the strain of having to avert the apocalypse a little more than he lets on. 

The Handler isn't very good at lying, but I guess she figures that a barely veiled threat works even better than anyone actually believing she's sorry about the board. Lila's just as messed up as the Umbrella Academy, and seems to know it. Still time for her to turn face.

Luther and Diego are just two prize putzes, aren't they? I guess you could pin some of the blame on poor penmanship from the Swedes, but they just telephone and threaten a random lady. Not only that, but Diego then trusts Lila even though he already knows he can't and ends up being drugged.

Luther, you can't say "women! Am I right?" to a guy when it's his (and your) sister that you use as a frame of reference.

I loved how Robert Sheehan played Ben's excitement over having a corporeal form again. Reminds me of Rimmer going absolutely crazy and overindulging disgustingly when he took control of Lister's body in Red Dwarf, only much more wholesome. But poor Ben, falling for a girl who (quite literally) doesn't know he exists, and who actually likes Klaus.

Really sweet moment when Diego realised he was actually talking to Ben. Diego has definitely come to appreciate his family a lot more in season two, he's had nice moments with all of them (except maybe Five).

I kind of felt bad for Carl, to be honest. He's not a great husband, and a thoroughly mediocre man, but for the early 60s he's far from what most would have considered bad - doesn't take his frustrations out on his wife, hasn't tried to disown his son, or have him put in a mental hospital (and even when he threatened that, I think he just figured that Vanya would believe him and leave, not that he'd actually do it). But he feels betrayed by his wife, and by the young woman he allowed to live in their home, it doesn't make him some huge villain, just an arsehole.

Oh hey, Allison remembered she had a daughter. Oh shit, Allison got one of the Swedes to kill the other.

The music choices for this show are sometimes really crazy - Backstreet's Back for a show set in 1963? - but they just work,

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I loved how Robert Sheehan played Ben's excitement over having a corporeal form again.

This video, in which Robert Sheehan and Justin H. Min break down the possession scenes, was really interesting, and Robert talks about trying to capture the Ben character (I lol'ed at his saying how Klaus is much more flail-y than Ben) while also keeping a little bit of Klaus in there.

• Love 2