Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The End of Something

• Start Topic

I am just glad Sissy and Harlan didn’t die or turn into bad guys.   Of Course Vanya couldn’t stay and Sissy couldn’t follow But their ending was sweet.  

Edited:  I have a theory though.   The siblings did manage to stop the apocalypse but since the world blames them for the Assassination of JFK it did change the course of (their) history.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

That was a fun season; I think it ended a bit stronger than the last season, and was more consistent throughout, although episodes 7 and 8 started to go a bit off the rails for a second.

My guess is this Sparrow Academy came about because of how Diego messed with Reginald's timeline by turning Grace against him. In any event, glad to see that Ben will continue to be a part of the show. I feel like he still didn't get utilized as much as he could have been (and Klaus was really selfish in keeping Ben from being able to interact with his siblings for so long).

I wasn't sold on the Swedes at first, but man, I really came to like them. Those actors should be commended for being able to do so much with so little (virtually no dialogue, etc.). 

This show continues to be much more solid than the source material (sorry; wasn't a fan of the comic). Looking forward to S3, whenever that eventually comes about.

• Love 17

I really enjoyed this season. Fewer lulls than the first season, (though not quite as quirky). Was happy that while one sibling or another would storm off in a huff, for the most part, they worked together. 
It was an interesting twist to discover that Lila was a “sibling” and Five’s killings from the first season were to get rid of the parents. Wonder what became of the other kids? At first I thought that it was odd that she had multiple superpowers, but then the penny dropped that she was able to mirror the superpower of whomever she was fighting. 

I’m not sure what they will do with season 3. Try to rescue the sparrows from the clutches of dear old dad? They could all just walk away after all. I suppose that he can’t really be blamed for lacking humanity in his dealings with them since he is an alien lizard.

• Love 8

Loved this season!

I admit, I was thinking most of the way through that Diego caused the apocalypse this time, by saving JFK who then went to war with the USSR. So I was thrown for a loop by the footage showing Vanya’s FBI building explosion. Poor Vanya, always the cause! I’m glad Ben got that time to talk her down and share his observations before leaving.

The music was fantastic (lots of great covers!) but I’m ambivalent about them using music not of the era. I guess since both UA and the Commission aren’t native to 1963, music from any period is okay. It was just kind of weird seeing a ‘60s scene and hearing, e.g., KISS.

Already looking forward to s3. How many changes have they made to the timeline by introducing themselves to Reginald? What will be the relationship between UA and SA? How will the Commission view SA vs. UA? I imagine Pogo is alive. Is Grace? I’m also not sure what time travel theory they’re using. Since the Commission seems to take it all seriously, I’m guessing not the forking universes one. In that case, where’s Old Man Five?

• Love 5

My guess is that Harlan discovering his adoptive children and their failures caused him to make different choices leading to the Sparrow Academy. Harlan may also be a factor since he was levitating a toy bird. 

7 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

It was an interesting twist to discover that Lila was a “sibling” and Five’s killings from the first season were to get rid of the parents. Wonder what became of the other kids? 

I think that Lila’s parents was the only one of Five’s kills that the Handler arranged like that. Five mentioned how unusual it was that the Handler was on site. 

I was really gonna try doling this out semi-slowly but I couldn't do it and watched half Friday and half Saturday lol.

I loved it. Like I'm just a complete Pollyanna about this show. Even things I didn't necessary enjoy, I'm just like whatever you know what I love everyone and everything!

Vanya putting her head on Diego's shoulder and him then putting his head on her head broke me. I love them both so much and I loved their dynamic in season 1 even though we pretty much never saw them together.

My jaw dropped when they all got shot. I believed it for a minute, man! I had accidentally saw a headline about Sparrow Academy so I thought maybe if there was a next season they'd just have a new cast. Thank goodness Five time traveled that away!

I hope Lila (sp?) is back next season. I really liked her and I loved her and Diego together. I'd love to watch her become part of Team Zero.

• Love 14

I was able to get this all watched before getting spoiled on any big developments, and boy am I glad! That last scene with the Sparrow Academy, and....BEN! "Why's there a portrait of Ben over the fireplace?" Oh, good golly, I'm excited to see how this rolls out!

I will miss The Handler (I'm assuming she's dead-dead-deaddead-for-realz this time), but since I had no clue Kate Walsh was going to be back this season, I take it all as a gift! I loved all her outfits, which seemed to just get more and more outlandish as she seemed to become more and more out of her mind. I felt for Lila when she discovered her true backstory. I hope she shows up a lot in the next season (has it been renewed yet? If not, I hope the news comes soon), because I loved her with Diego. It cracked me up when he was like, 'she's not REALLY my biological sister, right?' and they cut to Luther and Allison looking really awkward. Lila was just the right amount of everything that Diego needs to balance himself.

Not surprised that Sissy and Harlan stayed behind. Harlan being able to float that toy was interesting, so I wonder if we see more of them in the future? He's too old to be one of the 'siblings' but maybe Sir Reggie tracks him down and he's an instructor at the Sparrow Academy?

Allison's letter to Ray was beautiful. I shall miss that man, he was a good one, and quite easy on the eyes. Dave getting on his bus to report for duty - yeah, Klaus, he has to go so he can meet you, even if you lose him.

And where is old-number Five indeed? When he jumped/was pushed through the portal, the scene was from the first season, when Diego and all emerged to see the portal opening. So at that point, the original timeline still existed? It does seem like meeting Sir Reggie is what changed the path, but was there something else after that point that made Sir Reggie determine that change? Or am I just reading too much into it? (I'm leaning to the latter, no need to tell me I'm overthinking, as I know I'm likely doing just that!).

Man, how long to wait for more? It's too long!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

My jaw dropped when they all got shot. I believed it for a minute, man!

I really enjoyed the season but it was maybe the best example of Plot Armor I've ever seen when it came to machine guns.  200 people shooting machine guns at the good guys?  Not a scratch.  The 3 brothers can't hit people fleeing down a narrow hallway?  Check.  Every square inch of a building's walls riddled with bullet holes but no one inside is hit?  Yep.  Storm Troopers in Star Wars hit more often  But suddenly when the Plot Armor goes away machine guns act completely different & mow the whole cast down in seconds!

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • LOL 8
  • Love 11

I found this season pretty meh, but it got better towards the end. 

I love The Handler. I really hope we see Kate Walsh again.

I'm intrigued by the Sparrow Academy and Ben.

Now that the 2019 apocalypse hasn't happened, I wonder if we could see Cha-Cha again? I hope so.

• Love 2

I enjoyed most of the season, but thought the first half was much stronger than the last few episodes.  Happy that Ben will definitely be back for season three.  Maybe The Handler eating AJ will have something to do with her not really being dead.

Marin Ireland killed it as Sissy. 

• Love 4

I am guessing that everyone kind of effected the future without meaning to.    We know that Diego messed with the woman who would become the model for “mom” without her who knows what differences dad would have become.   We know Alison got involved in the civil rights movement maybe her sudden disappears lit a fuse inside it and Ray became bigger then he was meant to.  We known Klaus created A cult and who knows how wide spread it became and what might happen when he returns.     It’s possible Sissy was supposed to lead a simple and sad life until Harlan ran off and died in the lake or Carl left her.  But maybe moving to California made her life bigger and fuller and she was able to help and save Harlan who grew into a man who later saves other children and maybe even adopts some of the “siblings” and we see him again as a grown up in season 3.     Maybe Spartow Academy is what comes of what dad would have done if he had a peak of the future and judge the Umbrella Academy as dangerous as they were all blamed as being involved with the death of JFK and enemies and knew they would one day be back.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, non sequitur said:

Marin Ireland killed it as Sissy. 

Huh. I really thought Sissy was being played by Azura Skye the entire time. I also thought Young Dave was being played by Michael Provost from Insatiable but I was wrong also. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Huh. I really thought Sissy was being played by Azura Skye the entire time.

I thought it was Zoe Perry. Sissy’s accent and mannerisms were so similar to Mary on Young Sheldon I couldn’t believe it wasn’t Zoe. 

19 hours ago, ahisma said:

I’m also not sure what time travel theory they’re using. Since the Commission seems to take it all seriously, I’m guessing not the forking universes one. In that case, where’s Old Man Five?

It seems to be a theory that there is one singular timeline, and any deviations from it need to be corrected by the Commission. 

Now, how it is determined which is the "true" timeline and which is a deviance seems to be a matter of interpretation. That the Handler was willing to bend the rules for Five and his siblings suggests that the Commission (or particular members) aren't afraid to impose their own deviations when/where they want to. 

I also thought it was strange that Herb seemed to not know that JFK was supposed to be killed in Dallas originally. At least that is the impression I got based on his reaction to Diego; I may have to watch that scene in the operator's room again.

• Love 6

Alternate timeline, I love it. What they did in the past did change their future. Reggie probably took a slightly different approach, I'm he was still an asshole. But it looks like he made Ben number 1 instead of Luther. Which is probably the better choice. 

I'm interested in what he did with Vanya this time since he saw have a little control over her powers. Since we didn't see the others yet, I'm thinking some of them are different kids. Maybe Lila got picked up this time. He saw that some of them were less powerful than others. Five and Vanya being the only ones that impressed him. 

I'm glad it was finally confirmed that Reggie is an alien. Although I was most surprised to find out that Grace was a real person and that Reggie did seem to care about her. 

Kate Walsh obviously had a blast playing the Handler and wearing the most outlandish outfits. 

However now I'm wondering how Team Zero found each other and all learned to use their to their fullest potential without Five's intervention? They looked like a real superhero team in the first episode. Klaus was bringing soldiers back from the dead with ghost Ben being able to use his powers. 

• Love 5

I knew there was going to be a cliffhanger but I still sighed over it, happy as I am to see a version of Ben.  I've gotten to the point where I want all shows, especially genre shows, to end at an acceptable place just in case.

Also, I'd like for the characters to have a little down time that isn't laced with tragedy.

I do think this was a better overall season than the first one.  I like the characters enough that I'll probably watch the third season if there is one.

• Love 6

IMO they're using Back to the Future rules for time travel so far.  What your past selves do in the past can (obviously, 'cause shown) affect the present but you (& only you) remember the old timeline.  However, The Commission knows what the Original Timeline (What Happened Happened rules) is "supposed" to be & works to correct it, or at least that was their mission, before they became corrupted, & now we're almost in Avengers:Endgame territory where multiple timelines exist.

It's always easier if shows establish "the rules" of time travel up front & stick by them, but this show seems to be playing fast & loose with their "rules".  I'm enjoying it thusfar, but if Number Five now has a new power where he can just go back & undo stuff, future seasons may become problematic (they'll probably need to contrive a reason to sideline/depower him).  Which, again, so far so good, but it's always tough when you overpower your protagonists even if it's cool when it initially happens.

EDIT (couldn't figure out how to insert a quote into my original post but didn't want to double-post 🙂 ):

I knew there was going to be a cliffhanger but I still sighed over it, happy as I am to see a version of Ben.  I've gotten to the point where I want all shows, especially genre shows, to end at an acceptable place just in case.

I HATE cliffhangers where plot points hinge on them, but I'm fine with shows using semi-cliffhangers to set up the next season.  Like "we resolved this season's main plot but OMG here's something new we have to deal with!!".  I'm kinda in favor of that.

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Dani said:

I thought it was Zoe Perry. Sissy’s accent and mannerisms were so similar to Mary on Young Sheldon I couldn’t believe it wasn’t Zoe. 

Same! I actually spent most of Sissy's scenes trying to figure out if she was Zoe Perry or not. I could have just looked it up but I wanted to wait until I was finished to avoid accidentally seeing any spoilers. That actress is a dead ringer for Zoe. I see the Azure Sky thing that someone else brought up too though.

13 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Alternate timeline, I love it. What they did in the past did change their future. Reggie probably took a slightly different approach, I'm he was still an asshole. But it looks like he made Ben number 1 instead of Luther. Which is probably the better choice. 

I'm interested in what he did with Vanya this time since he saw have a little control over her powers. Since we didn't see the others yet, I'm thinking some of them are different kids. 

Oh wow, I didn't even consider that the Sparrow Academy was still the characters we know. I just assumed that outside of Ben, they were all different people. It might be interesting if some or all of them are the same. I don't know how that would work. I don't understand time travel ever lol.

• Love 1

Dad was not particularly impressed with his supposed children during “A Light Supper” so getting  a view of the kids he picked he might have chosen others.  Since he never actually met Ben it is possible he still would have adopted him and made him “Number One” instead of Luther who never had any business being any kind of leader to begin with.  It would be interesting to see how Vanya might have been raised left to her own devices.  I think she is the only one we actually saw being born in Russia and with a talent for music....and destruction. What kind of havoc she could reek?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Dad was not particularly impressed with his supposed children during “A light supper” so getting  a view of the kids he picked he might have chosen others.  Since he never actually met Ben it is possible he still would have adopted him and made him “Number One” instead of Luther” who never had any business being any kind of leader to begin with.  It would be interesting to see how Vanya might have been raised left to her own devices I think she is the only one we actually saw being born in Russia and with a talent for music....and destruction. What kind of havoc she could reek?  

That's what I thought it was as well. On one hand, this is yet another example of Sir Reginald being an asshole. On the other hand, they did break into his business, stalk him, accuse him of murder and cause his girlfriend to break up with him, and that's without even getting into the dinner disaster.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 1

I think (and hope) that they are different characters. For one thing the gag with what happened when you meet yourself got old really fast. So if they are different people that won't be an issue. I'm glad they found a way to bring Ben back as alive. I was so sad when he sacrificed himself and that he only got really interact with Kraus. I do however, kind of wish that this had a non-cliffhanger ending. Mainly because I still feel like we haven't got to see their lives as "normal" yet.

Anyhow, I should have seen that Lila was mirroring their powers earlier. I guess because she spent most of the time with Diago it is just assumed that she has good fighting skills. But I remember when she was fighting five, it almost seemed like she teleported which now makes sense.  So Harlem still has powers. I guess that make sense when Vanya saved him she changed him forever.

I also am hoping that's it for the handler. I feel like she is also getting kind of old and the show needs a new villain. Which probably will be there next season.

Overall, I did enjoy the show. I do feel like the first half of the season was better then the second half.

• Love 8
On 8/1/2020 at 10:36 PM, Yokosmom said:

It was an interesting twist to discover that Lila was a “sibling” and Five’s killings from the first season were to get rid of the parents. 

Diego's reaction to her being a sibling was pretty hilarious - but we aren't biologically related right?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I liked this season, but I kind of don't like that the UA going back in time changed/altered their future. (I say it all the time, but I hate time travel for this reason.) I was hoping that there was another way to keep Ben and bring him back in the flesh. Essentially, this new character is not our Ben. 😞

• Love 2

I'm not sure how the new academy could have different people. Unless Reginald created them, it was established that he tried to get all the children, and would have had more than seven if could have.

I find the very last minutes lazy and predictible. In the ending last season they were all returned to their child age and that got erased in favor of a main plot do-over: scattered family, mysterious apocalypse, crazy assassins, non-sensical time travel. This time we find ourselves with the weak following plot: everything is well that ends w... gotcha! see next next year. It's cheap and unoriginal.

We got a fluid season otherwise, fun with nicer family moments (Ben still amiss). I hope it continues without having to break them up for the sake of drama next season, that would be insulting. A better (almost invisible) Luther, a weaker Diego (with his skills from season 1, escaping the asylum should have been a cinch), more things for Ben, new things for Vanya but more of the same for Klaus unfortunatly.

I especially liked them all joining Vanya as a family to help Harlan. So hopefully, united family front for and through a third and last season!

• Love 6

I can see some being the same and some being different. I can see Reggie skipping getting Luther and Diego. If he was able to get different kids. But like others have said there was like 40+ kids born that day and he was only able to purchase 7. Unless he turned to murdering their parents like the Handler. 

I thought not every kid born that day was "special," and Reggie only got the ones that were. I thought he got all the ones that were that he could find.

To be honest, of all of them, Ben's power does not fit on this show to me. (Well, now with the revelation of what Reggie is, it does.) I like Ben a lot but felt the others had more interesting powers.

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I thought not every kid born that day was "special," and Reggie only got the ones that were. I thought he got all the ones that were that he could find.

Only the instant pregnancy were special ones. But Reggie only got 7 of them when there were many more.

I just notice , they are in 2019 but the new Academy members are still  children and not adults.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

If they are in 2019 then why does Ben's picture still look the age he was when he died? Or is he dead in this version of the timeline too?

I just realized I didn't even post in this last episode thread. One of the things I liked best this season was Lila's story, it was really well done. The clues were all there and they still managed to pull off the twist. Well with me anyway. I also enjoyed the actress very much. I don't really think we need the Handler back although I also enjoy her. I'd like to see what the Commission is like without her.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, JonasArm said:

I just notice , they are in 2019 but the new Academy members are still  children and not adults.

I also thought they looked like kids/teens. Ben definitely had a teen vibe imo. That makes no sense though. But, really, what does on this show lol.

2 hours ago, festivus said:

If they are in 2019 then why does Ben's picture still look the age he was when he died? Or is he dead in this version of the timeline too?

They could just have a picture of young Ben for some reason. The Ben we actually saw was the older Ben, albeit possibly made to look teen like.

I just realized I didn't even post in this last episode thread. One of the things I liked best this season was Lila's story, it was really well done. The clues were all there and they still managed to pull off the twist. Well with me anyway. I also enjoyed the actress very much. I don't really think we need the Handler back although I also enjoy her. I'd like to see what the Commission is like without her.

I agree with all of this. I loved Lila, loved that they foreshadowed her story and yet still made it feel like a surprise when it was revealed, and the actress was really great. I hope she's back next season. And yea, I agree about the Handler and being interested in seeing what the commission would be like without her.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, festivus said:

Ben has aged (matured?) as a ghost.  In the flashback to his funeral his ghost was played by a child actor like the other siblings were. 

ETA: I was caught off guard in this episode by Diego redirecting that cloud of bullets.  Up to this point I thought his power was about superior aim and agility.

Edited by MisterGlass
Addition
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, MisterGlass said:

Ben has aged (matured?) as a ghost.  In the flashback to his funeral his ghost was played by a child actor like the other siblings were. 

ETA: I was caught off guard in this episode by Diego redirecting that cloud of bullets.  Up to this point I thought his power was about superior aim and agility.

That's right, thanks. I know they're all supposed to be 30 but Ben just looks at least 10 years younger than that to me.

I thought the same about Diego. It was super cool though.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I also thought they looked like kids/teens. Ben definitely had a teen vibe imo. That makes no sense though. But, really, what does on this show lol.

They could just have a picture of young Ben for some reason. The Ben we actually saw was the older Ben, albeit possibly made to look teen like.

44 minutes ago, festivus said:

That's right, thanks. I know they're all supposed to be 30 but Ben just looks at least 10 years younger than that to me.

I'm wondering if we find out they didn't quite make it to 2019 or something? But I'm okay with them being slightly younger, if it's a good story. Also, nuBen is sporting a scar, yes?

2 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I was thinking about this too, because in I think the first episode, he was being shot at and he was doing all this twisting like the Matrix (well, kind of?), so I'm thinking his power is knives and some sort of ability to dodge/move danger that he sees is coming? Which helps explain why he doesn't get shot running headlong at stuff (but can get hit from behind/surprised)?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I was thinking about this too, because in I think the first episode, he was being shot at and he was doing all this twisting like the Matrix (well, kind of?), so I'm thinking his power is knives and some sort of ability to dodge/move danger that he sees is coming? Which helps explain why he doesn't get shot running headlong at stuff (but can get hit from behind/surprised)?

I’ve rewatched that scene in the first episode many times and it looks like he redirects the bullets fired at him back to the shooters. In the first season Cha Cha reads Vanya’s book and says that Diego can curve anything he throws, usually knives. All their powers seems to be growing so Diego can probably change the trajectory of all moving objects not just ones he throws. 

I wonder if Hargreaves had some control over when the girls got insta pregnant/birth and delayed it so he’d get some different kids.  But Ben was the same.  

assuming boy Harlan still lives, he’d be 66-68?  Wonder if we get to see him?

I guess we assume Lila ported to a briefcase to leave 1963. 

• Love 3

God, that opening was so heartbreaking, the kids all grief stricken over losing Ben, while Reginald has the absolute nerve to blame them for what happened, and then they all start angrily lashing out at each other, because Reggies idea of teamwork is constantly making kids compete with each other and blame each other for stuff. Reginald is so awful, its shocking that the Hargreeves arent even worse than they are!

So on the plus side, the siblings actually managed to stop a crisis instead of starting one, they made it back to 2019, and they are closer than ever! On the less happy side, Reginald quite possibly decided that, after seeing the hot mess express that is the Umbrella Academy (thanks dad!) he decided to try again with all new kids, including a brand new Ben, going through a goth phase apparently. The timeline is possibly also so screwed that it basically got drunk and wandered into one of those trash cans that Klaus used to sleep in. Geeze, if the Hargreeves ever somehow met the Legends from Legends of Tomorrow, the timeline would just crawl away waving a white flag, clutching a bottle of vodka and a Sisquo album.  

I have lots to say about this episode and the season in general, but right now I am just letting it all wash over me. I just adore this show. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

But suddenly when the Plot Armor goes away machine guns act completely different & mow the whole cast down in seconds!

I assume Diego was using his power while they were running just as he used it to stop the bullets. I wish the show had established that Diego can do that earlier. His power has always been the least clear to me.

Overall, I liked this season a lot. It had all the quirkiness that I liked from last season but more coherent character building. It was also surprisingly sweet. Pretty much everyone who survived found some amount of love and acceptance... even the Commission people.

• Love 5

What did Sissy do with Carl's body, & how did she explain his disappearance to his state trooper brother? Since Harlan was twirling a wooden bird at the end, he's obviously got something to do with the Sparrow Academy, but didn't Sissy say they were going to California? Then why did we see a sign to New Mexico? I'm assuming it meant something otherwise why show us?

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, GaT said:

What did Sissy do with Carl's body, & how did she explain his disappearance to his state trooper brother?

image.thumb.png.6846dd96aa0612e594e4770a3d6b016d.png  Or they just had him removed with all the dead Commission agents. She probably didn’t explain anything and just ran. She’d never be able to explain the house and barn being shot up. 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

Since Harlan was twirling a wooden bird at the end, he's obviously got something to do with the Sparrow Academy, but didn't Sissy say they were going to California? Then why did we see a sign to New Mexico? I'm assuming it meant something otherwise why show us?

New Mexico is the first state you go through when driving from Texas to California. 

11 minutes ago, Dani said:

New Mexico is the first state you go through when driving from Texas to California. 

But why show it to us ike it meant something? They could have just shown her driving, or they could have shown her getting to California, but showing her getting to New Mexico was confusing.

I forgot to mention this before, when Diego asked if Lila was their biological sister & everyone just looked at him, I LMAO.

7 hours ago, GaT said:

What did Sissy do with Carl's body, & how did she explain his disappearance to his state trooper brother? Since Harlan was twirling a wooden bird at the end, he's obviously got something to do with the Sparrow Academy, but didn't Sissy say they were going to California? Then why did we see a sign to New Mexico? I'm assuming it meant something otherwise why show us?

I took it as she was driving to California.  New Mexico is the next state over going that direction. I just took it as they were getting away. Or we'll find out next season.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, festivus said:

I know they're all supposed to be 30 but Ben just looks at least 10 years younger than that to me.

I agree. Funnily enough, Justin Min is actually 30.

I was confused by them showing Sissy/Harlan entering New Mexico. Sure, they drive through to get to California, but why not just show them entering California?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GaT said:

But why show it to us ike it meant something? They could have just shown her driving, or they could have shown her getting to California, but showing her getting to New Mexico was confusing.

43 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was confused by them showing Sissy/Harlan entering New Mexico. Sure, they drive through to get to California, but why not just show them entering California?

Probably to show them leaving Texas behind and beginning a new life. 

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

Probably to show them leaving Texas behind and beginning a new life. 

But they could have showed them driving into California or even leaving Texas. It just makes no sense to me to show New Mexico. It's needlessly confusing. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

But they could have showed them driving into California or even leaving Texas. It just makes no sense to me to show New Mexico. It's needlessly confusing. 

Roswell is in New Mexico, so I think that may be why.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I wonder how Ben died originally?  Reg is such an asshole, but I guess if you buy kids to create you own fighting superhero team then you probably aren't worried about being a good parent.  I did like that even then Diego was standing closest to Grace. And Klaus was so upset about Ben dying because he is the only on for whom Ben has been alive this whole time.

I am thinking the Handler or even Reg must've had something to do with having the siblings so immediately and closely associated with the Kennedy Assassination.  All five of them have barely spent any time together and yet the level of intel being reported about them in what, a day?  was thorough.  You don't get that immediate and thorough info even today with the internet. 

I did like how the siblings finally rallied together for Vanya, they were jumping on my nerves for a minute there.  I also liked how the whole stand-off at the farm went (well, I mean, except the part with how everybody somehow managed to evade the bullets of what looked liked about 1000 guns all being aimed at them).  I especially liked the end part because my suspicion that Reg's advice he gave to Five in 'A Light Supper' was used and in such an effective moment.  I also liked the revelation about Lila.  I still think she was a shit to Diego -- I hope no one shows me 'love' the way she did with Diego --  but I like how all the pieces have come together. So I am guessing they are going to Cousin Oliver her and she'll be an honorary sibling?  I'm ok with that.

Also, yay for the Swede!  Never thought I'd say that.   But I really hope the Handler is dead.  She was just too OTT evil for my taste. 

That ending was great.  Also their last word: "Shit"

Overall:

I liked this season much better than the last. This one felt more cohesive and the characters and actors gelled better, imo.  Both seasons had the 'stopping the apocalypse' as a theme, but S1 it was only Five who any sense of what that meant and the urgency.  The rest all seemed to just be dragged along in his wake and were too fractured.  I didn't feel that these people were siblings at all in S1, just a collection of strangers. 

But this season fixed all that for me.  This time they all knew what was at stake and they were all stranded in a time not of their own.  Outside of Allison, and Vanya to a lesser extent, none of them managed to connect with anyone really.   So when they reconnect with each other you finally felt like they were a family.  And even when they were at opposition sometimes, they felt like they were on a similar path.  I just thought it made for a better emotional connect with the characters and the material for me.

Also I just loved the music, the set design (I am in love with Allison's dining room chairs), the clothes, the humor (all of it, but that shot of Five's face during the assassination and the news saying he was a little boy being held hostage was a topper foe the season!), the individual storylines (esp. Allison, Klaus' and Vanya's) and the new supporting characters (Ray, Sissy and Lila, heck even Herb!). ... just everything worked for me so much better this season.

Looking forward to S3, I am thinking they aren't gonna do another apocalypse themed thing.  It'll either be another 'setting the timeline right' thing or it'll be battling Academies:  The Sparrows versus the Umbrellas.  With Reginald being set up as the season's main adversary/big bad.   I am betting the rest of the 'Sparrows' are all different people, except Ben, and it'll be Ben who'll give them, especially Klaus, some angst.  Also, the first thing Allison thought of was Claire, and I wonder if they've changed the timeline so much that their 'past' isn't the same, does Claire even still exist?  And if their past isn't the same, who does the world know them to be now? 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8

Ben - you're emo different timeline version you, but I'll take it! I absolutely loved this season. I give it 4.5 out of 5. Points lost because Luther and Klause's powers were severely underutilized in way that made no sense.

It's funny that so many seem to have hated Luther in Season 1 but enjoyed him in Season 2. I liked him in both seasons. However, The show is doing something to Luther that I've seen others shows doing repeatedly and I hate it each time: Have one character that they Humble, or constantly make The designated punching bag, and then wash, rinse, repeat throughout multiple episodes. That is NOT fun to watch. Supernatural did it with Castiel - de-winged him. I really hope next season Luther becomes more like what the MCU did with Captain Marvel. They took a character that was thought to be sort of boring (even Chris Evans joked he was useless compared to the other Avengers lol) and show how valuable he can be. Winter Soldier completely changed some minds about Old Cap. I don't want Number One to be "disposable".

You could say Vanya was the punching bag for season one, but she had her music, and it was an arch in her story, it led to something.

But overall, I can't wait to re-watch both seasons.

• Love 3

You know, I was looking at the thread for season one, and one of my hypothetical future season plots back then was that the siblings would meet another group of super powered kids who grew up to become a superhero team, but that they are a very functioning team using their powers to their full potential, but they use their powers for evil, as a sort of evil counterpart to the Umbrella Academy. Well low and behold! 

Its hard for me to say whether season one or two was my favorite, although I am leaning towards season two right now, possibly because its still fresh in my mind! I feel like season two was a lot tighter of a story, we had a lot more interaction between the siblings (which is always the best part of the show) I liked the 60s setting, most of the siblings were better fleshed out, and I liked exploring more of the universe, especially now that we have met another of the 1989 babies and we get more of Reggies true identity, even if we still have no idea exactly who/what he is, where he comes from, or what he wants. I have a ton more questions, especially now that the siblings have apparently created some kind of alternate timeline, but in a good way, not an annoyed way. In general, the siblings were a lot more on the same page than they were last season, at least by their standards, which was really nice to see. There was still plenty of bickering and fighting and dysfunction, as always, but their fondness for each other was a lot more apparent after everything they have been through, and they actually had some really nice moments together. 

They also got rid of the super cringy incest thing between Luther and Allison, and thank God for that! Its not great when you have to say things like "well its technically not incest..." when it comes to relationships. The awkward mouth to mouth and check kiss seemed to put the final nail in that coffin. 

I liked most everyone's subplots, and I think that Allison got the best plot (or it could just because Ray is an absolute treasure) while Luther got the best character growth, finally realizing what a piece of crap abuser his father was, and trying harder to be a better person and brother, beyond just feeling like its his duty as number one, and he found some more purpose in his life beyond Reggie. I think that Klaus got stuck with the weakest arc, it wasn't horrible or anything (and starting a cult is pretty much what I imagine Klaus doing in the 60s) but of all the subplots, it felt the most disjointed from the rest of the story, and whenever the cult was around you could tell it was "wacky" time, when the rest of the show did a better job at balancing the madcap situations with a lot of emotion and drama. I am also sad that we never got Ben getting to interact much with the rest of his siblings before he went into the light, which I was really hoping would happen at the end of last season, and I would have gladly traded some cult hijinks of Ben getting to be part of the group more. Really, I wish they had explained why Klaus kept Ben being around a secret from his family. I kind of get it when they were all estranged, but why keep it going now? Klaus's best stuff was with Dave, which felt a lot more emotional and a lot more real, even if he did accidentally end up making things even worse. 

I ended up liking the Lila stuff a lot more than I expected to (even if I dont know for sure if I ship her with Diego quite yet) especially in retrospect, knowing that she is another one of the mysterious 89 babies that the Handler stole for her powers. I always wondered what happened to the rest of them, are they just living normal lives or did a bunch of them get nabbed up by any passing rich weirdo or super villain who wanted to grow their own weapon? The Handlers comment to Harlan that she knew how to deal with his "type" makes me wonder if the Commission has any more of the 89 babies around? I still want to know where the hell the actually came from, we still have no idea! For all they know, they could be actual blood relations, they dont know. I could be open to Lila coming back, her power would certainly be helpful. I also wonder if Harlan will come into play again, now that we know he still has powers? 

I wonder what happened in the first timeline when the whole team came together, how did that all come about, especially without Five? I would like to know how they all managed to reach their full potential, and maybe see them do it again. I loved everyone going to the farm with Vanya and the whole big fight there though, hopefully its a sign of things to come with all the siblings actually working together. And they did actually manage to stop the problem instead of starting it, or at least fix their own mess that they accidentally created so...progress! 

Really, even my issues with the season are pretty minor, I just really love this show and I loved this season and I am just really excited for next season! Can I grab a briefcase and jump ahead to watch it now?!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree. Funnily enough, Justin Min is actually 30.

What a babyface. My oldest son is 32 but easily looks 10 years younger so I guess I need to get over it! I think the rest do look 30 though or close to it. Wouldn't Klaus be the oldest now? I think he got dropped the earliest? Speaking of Klaus, I do agree that he had the weakest story with the cult and his whole look was very much not early 60s. However, I just love thinking that it was him that unintentionally influenced the "dirty hippie" look that came later. He also had one of the best stories in the first season so I'm okay with it. He's still my fave though. I love Robert Sheehan.

• Love 5