Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 7/27/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, suomi said:

I was born in Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital in El Lay in 1950. Not a podunk establishment then and it's still there today. The first morning after my arrival my mom's doctor came to her room, pulled a chair next to the bed, took out a pack of ciggies, shook out one for him and one for her, lit them both and commenced the postpartum visit.

In one of my favourite pics of my mother, I am blowing on a pinwheel while she is putting a barrette in my hair with a ciggie hanging out of the corner of her mouth while pregnant with my sister in 1957.  One of her classmates was a Thalidomide victim; samples of the drug were handed out to pregnant mothers experiencing nausea.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

And no discussion of the recent tweets on moving the election...really wanted to hear MM on that one.  Oh well. They will miss a lot of happenings in August.  

That was the very first thing they discussed, right after giving their condolences about Herman Cain.  All of them said it was ridiculous and not something a president had the power to do, so discussion lasted about two minutes.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

Are we sure this wasn't the pre-taped show?  The announcer didn't say the show was live, just new.  According to the guest lineup on page 1 of this week's thread, Kerry Washington and the lawyer from the ACLU were scheduled to be on today.  It looks like they switched Miss Piggy to today, bumped Judy Gold off, and had Joy mention her book instead. 

Yes, the show we saw today was taped yesterday but was preempted by the funeral.  At the very beginning there was a banner that said it was prerecorded.  I’m assuming they taped a second show yesterday (or maybe Wed) that was intended to be shown today. That one will probably be shown over the break as Fri shows generally don’t delve much into hot topics and can be shown anytime. 

26 minutes ago, suomi said:

I was born in Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital in El Lay in 1950. Not a podunk establishment then and it's still there today. The first morning after my arrival my mom's doctor came to her room, pulled a chair next to the bed, took out a pack of ciggies, shook out one for him and one for her, lit them both and commenced the postpartum visit.

Shoot, my son was born in 1991 and the new mom in the bed next to me was smoking like a locomotive. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, OnTime said:

Why did Meghan have a stockpile of masks pre-COVID? 

I really doubt she had her cabinets full of them.

I think she mentioned somewhere that she got them while in Asia... I think Japan.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Science most definitely changes and evolves and, unfortunately, too many people prefer to remain set in their ways when faced with new facts. Sad, and dangerous. 

Wow, and didn't offer you one, too? So rude.

• LOL 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

In one of my favourite pics of my mother, I am blowing on a pinwheel while she is putting a barrette in my hair with a ciggie hanging out of the corner of her mouth while pregnant with my sister in 1957.  One of her classmates was a Thalidomide victim; samples of the drug were handed out to pregnant mothers experiencing nausea.

I hear that. My old photos show nearly everyone in the frame holding a cigarette. My parents divorced early so I have few good photos of them together. My favorite shows them on the day they married in Vegas, both in snappy suits holding a cig. The vintage commercials on youtube are an eye-opener. One from 1949 informs that More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette and a doctor in a lab coat suggests that you should See How Camels Agree With Your Throat. I think the influence of commercials like those and the prevalence of smoking in movies and TV over many generations cannot be overstated. Role models and heroes were puffing away everywhere. We floved candy cigarettes and would imitate our parents by holding them carefully as they "burned down." Today's cinnamon nicotine lozenges have the same taste and texture when they melt in your mouth. Freaky. 

Thalidomide, also prescribed to prevent miscarriage, was an enormous worldwide tragedy. It also caused high rates of vaginal and cervical cancers in the daughters and even the granddaughters of the women who took it. 

I've always said a better technology would quickly appear if it was discovered that men needed to have their scrotums subjected to the 42 pounds of pressure a mammogram machine applies. (22 pounds of pressure is required to rupture a tumor in a breast and allow malignant cells to spread). 

MM should use her "power" for good and jump into causes like women's healthcare. It's a shame that she wastes her national platform on partisan stances that she mistakenly believes are impressive. She shits on her opportunity to build an authentic reputation while being paid to do it. Doesn't get much better than that. 

15 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

I know, right? I had to make do with secondhand smoke.

Edited by suomi
typo
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

If everyone on this forum would just send me a quarter, I'll forward the money to Meghan to reimburse her for the masks she gave away.  Thank you for your cooperation.

We can chip in a little extra for the crib too. 

• LOL 8
(edited)

I don't get why they didn't do the Ladies Get Lit this summer.  Are things a little different this year?  Obviously but if they can still do View Your Deal segments, they could have taken five minutes to suggest some books.  If anything, people have more time to read right now so some recommendations would have been appreciated.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Here goes Meg again with her misguided rant about Fauci and the efficacy of masks. Someone needs to sit her down and explain to her why masks were initially discouraged. 

Seriously! There are things that can be difficult to follow, especially if you have a full-time job that's not political and other things going on in your life. The mask issue is not one of them. Almost everyone I know understood that at first there were concerns about the people who need the masks most not being able to obtain them. Once that was no longer a concern, the advice changed. How do people who have nonpolitical/news jobs, who have children, tons of responsibilities, may not even follow news super closely, all get this, but Meghan whose job revolves around discussion of these topics somehow doesn't? There was no trial to watch every day. There weren't books she had to read. There weren't multiple networks she had to watch to get the real facts. Maybe she knows but wants to pretend otherwise due to Dr. Fauci not being part of her tribe? Either way, it's annoying, and I too wish one of the ladies would address this already. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, bannana said:

MeAgain tweeted that today was the last ep of the season.

I just might cry, because that tweet also said "see you in September".  She also called the show "one of the last truly uncensored spaces in all of television".  <eyeroll>

(And in a tweet right before that, she had a new criticism of Dr.Fauci, (and misspelled his name) concerning his testimony before a House committee earlier today.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Here goes Meg again with her misguided rant about Fauci and the efficacy of masks. Someone needs to sit her down and explain to her why masks were initially discouraged. 

Seriously! There are things that can be difficult to follow, especially if you have a full-time job that's not political and other things going on in your life. The mask issue is not one of them. Almost everyone I know understood that at first there were concerns about the people who need the masks most not being able to obtain them. Once that was no longer a concern, the advice changed.

I am so tired of the Princess of Arizona lying about this issue.  At the start of the quarantine, there was an extreme shortage of PPEs for hospital staff and first responders.  There were people buying up PPEs (and toilet paper) and were hoarding them.  That is when medical experts pleaded with the public to stop this so our medical staff and first responders could be protected.  We were advised to stay in quarantine and wear a reusable cloth  masks when we had to go out in public.  People then began sewing their own masks for themselves, their neighbors and their communities.  The medical experts never said that masks were not effective.  It was the fact that hospital workers and first responders were at high risk and if they got sick, there would be no one left to care for the people who became ill after the initial outbreak of the virus.  

I know you all know this but Meghan and some members of her tribe do not seem to get it, or worse, they don't care and are spreading lies to gain votes for their team.  Either way Meghan needs to be fired from The View for spreading such dangerous misinformation.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:
5 hours ago, lusinia said:

no maternity leave send-off for Meghan.

So she doesn't get a baby shower? Even a virtual one?  Jesus the people at the View will never hear the end of that.

I really think Meghan didn't want a baby shower or maternity send off.

She only occasionally  mentioned being pregnant, was always seen from the shoulders up, never said her due date, or baby gender (if known). I'll bet we will find out about the birth long after this baby was born.

She was very quiet about being pregnant.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, suomi said:

She was beyond beyond. That's how far beyond she was. Also shrill, strident, judgmental, rigid, snotty and infuriating. Other than that she was OK. 

You forgot God-fearing.  Just sayin.'

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Shoot, my son was born in 1991 and the new mom in the bed next to me was smoking like a locomotive. 

In a hospital?  Really?  I recall that by ‘91 the smoking ban in working offices and aircraft was in full swing where I was living. 
Do you mind saying what state?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, hisbunkie said:

In a hospital?  Really?  I recall that by ‘91 the smoking ban in working offices and aircraft was in full swing where I was living. 
Do you mind saying what state?

Indiana. 

7 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Does she think they are unavailable now?  I have several.  In all kinds of colors.  They have become an accessory for me now. I match them to my outfits.

Me too. I think of them as the new hat. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Just watching this mornings show now.  Boy in the first segment, Meghan was frosty!  She did NOT want to be there.

Nor did we want her to be there.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Suomi was probably down in the assembly-line nursery, not in a bedside bassinet next to her mother.  

1 hour ago, MMEButterfly said:

Me too. I think of them as the new hat. 

And you don't need to bother with lipstick.  Or any makeup if you wear sunglasses too.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Good grief - MM is really a glass half full kinda person - "I for one am feeling completely helpless in the future....."

And yet undermines those like Dr Fauci that wants us all to wear masks NOW.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Meghan is tweeting they will be back in Sep.....so there will probably be a baby shower and for mean Meghan with a frown.

That’s a shame.  I just read somewhere that the deadline to buy, or give someone, a crib is August 31st.  These are hard times we’re living in.

• LOL 10
46 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Suomi was probably down in the assembly-line nursery, not in a bedside bassinet next to her mother.  

I can't remember for sure, it was 70 years ago. Some details are fuzzy.

Edited by suomi
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

As my Mom used to say, "She has more nerve than a canal horse."

I'd never heard that saying and assumed that plodding along a canal wouldn't take nerve, but the canal paths I've seen didn't have horses walking close to the edge of the canal. Apparently many of the pathways that the horses followed were dangerously close to the water's edge. Donkeys and mules had difficulty and often balked on the narrow paths, but horses dutifully and steadily plodded their way along, hence "the nerve of a canal horse".

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, TheView said:

Miss Piggy filling in for Meghan would be PERFECT 

It would be great.  It is easy to do a Miss Piggy voice, so if one puppetmaster is rude and snotty and won't stop talking, they can be fired & replaced.  Anyone can read Republican talking points off blue cards if The View wants to present both sides.  Unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It would be great.  It is easy to do a Miss Piggy voice, so if one puppetmaster is rude and snotty and won't stop talking, they can be fired & replaced.  Anyone can read Republican talking points off blue cards if The View wants to present both sides.  Unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.

But how would they get her to the table? 

With MeAgain's relatively thin face, pretending to be in NYC, refusal to give even a ballpark due date, or for anyone to see her body, it occurred to me that she may not be pregnant. Maybe baby Domenech will be arriving by surrogate or adoption. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
Just now, TheView said:

But how would they get her to the table? 

Yes, that is the only hard part.  Maybe they could have some sort of "modesty panel" in front of the lower part of Ms. Piggy's chair, but still be able to show her from the hips up heaving herself onto the chair each morning. Her feet could fly up into view with the exertion.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
Just now, deirdra said:

Yes, that is the only hard part.  Maybe they could have some sort of "modesty panel" in front of the lower part of Ms. Piggy's chair, but still be able to show her from the hips up heaving herself onto the chair each morning. Her feet could fly up into view with the exertion.

Or they could have her waiting at the table for them 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, deirdra said:

With MeAgain's relatively thin face, pretending to be in NYC, refusal to give even a ballpark due date, or for anyone to see her body, it occurred to me that she may not be pregnant. Maybe baby Domenech will be arriving by surrogate or adoption. 

I've wondered the same thing for a while now.  In addition to the things you've noted, the first thing that struck me as odd was the fact that she announced her pregnancy the weekend before she began doing the show from home.  So if she wanted to keep something like this a secret, the stay at home order presented the perfect opportunity. 

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I'd never heard that saying and assumed that plodding along a canal wouldn't take nerve, but the canal paths I've seen didn't have horses walking close to the edge of the canal. Apparently many of the pathways that the horses followed were dangerously close to the water's edge. Donkeys and mules had difficulty and often balked on the narrow paths, but horses dutifully and steadily plodded their way along, hence "the nerve of a canal horse".

I'm amazed at your conclusion.  Mine was that horses were used to build the Panama Canal (many died).

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Meghan is tweeting they will be back in Sep.....so there will probably be a baby shower and for mean Meghan with a frown.

Do we think she was frosty because she expected her $1500 crib (that Abby got TWO of) and the rest of her loot before the August break? Maybe she's planning to set up the nursery during her month off and expected her stuff during the last show in July. She's due in September but gifting her in September seems sorta late in the game. Labor Day is September 7 so the earliest they'll come back is September 8. What if she delivers early? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

When Whoopi was talking about the people needing low cost housing, Missy said something like "I get the point" ... did anyone else catch that?  As my Mom used to say, "She has more nerve than a canal horse."

Meghan knows some people need low income housing. She just doesn't know those people and doesn't want them living anywhere close to her.

7 hours ago, deirdra said:

That would be one hell of a lie to tell. She has said she is pregnant. If she isn't she should have just said she was expecting.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Do we think she was frosty because she expected her $1500 crib (that Abby got TWO of) and the rest of her loot before the August break?

Would Whoopi gift Meg with an expensive crib if it was not on camera?  Normal people give a coworker a baby gift and we know Whoopi can be very generous when she wants to be, but if it wasn't part of the show (or sponsored by the mfr?) will she do something extravagant?

(Did Whoopi give Abby the cribs or did "the show?")

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, TheView said:

Miss Piggy filling in for Meghan would be PERFECT 

and we wouldn't even notice the difference until she opened her mouth.  same makeup artist apparently with the long blond hair and super pink cheeks!

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 7/30/2020 at 11:33 PM, lusinia said:

During Jon Stewart's famous takedown of that show during an appearance in 2004, when he was interviewed by Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala, he told them that they were "disingenuous" to claim that what they were doing was "holding politicians' feet to the fire", and Jon told them that they were doing "theater", not debates. 

I remember that well. Tucker the Jerk kept nudging Jon to "say something funny," "say something funny," and Jon said "I'm not your monkey." As I remember Crossfire was cancelled shortly after.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:09 AM, suomi said:

My sister just retired from Santa Monica Hospital (now part of the UCLA chain), and in the early days she said they'd have patients smoking in their rooms....with oxygen tanks right there. She also said it was a real pain having to play musical beds with all the patients who didn't want to be in a room with a smoker. Today that sounds insane.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:25 AM, deirdra said:

One of her classmates was a Thalidomide victim; samples of the drug were handed out to pregnant mothers experiencing nausea.

When I was in the hospital (St. John's in Santa Monica) getting my tonsils out and minor ear surgery in the early 60s, my roommate was a Thalidomide victim. She only had stumps for both arms and legs, but I was so impressed by how well she could color by holding the crayon between her shoulder and cheek (we shared coloring books).

23 hours ago, suomi said:

I hear that. My old photos show nearly everyone in the frame holding a cigarette. My parents divorced early so I have few good photos of them together. My favorite shows them on the day they married in Vegas, both in snappy suits holding a cig. The vintage commercials on youtube are an eye-opener. One from 1949 informs that More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Cigarette and a doctor in a lab coat suggests that you should See How Camels Agree With Your Throat. I think the influence of commercials like those and the prevalence of smoking in movies and TV over many generations cannot be overstated. Role models and heroes were puffing away everywhere.

Smoking was always pretty popular, but the tobacco companies lobbied the government to include cigarettes in the rations that G.I.s had in WWII. That hooked an entire generation.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, carrps said:

I remember that well. Tucker the Jerk kept nudging Jon to "say something funny," "say something funny," and Jon said "I'm not your monkey." As I remember Crossfire was cancelled shortly after.

It's amazing how many people enjoy this rude, racist man. I think Meghan also likes for The View to be theatrical.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

Gmta at first...  But i don't think that anymore.  You used to not be able to tell by looking at her, but this last couple of days....i don't know if it was the type of blouse/collar that made the emphasis, but i noticed her breast(es) have suddenly gotten huge.  They're sitting just under her chin.  Definitely preggy.  I'm sorry for the personal comment.  Said with all due respect of course.  Yeah i can add i have the exact same problem, but no pregnancy to blame it on lol.  Just liked the eating for 2 part so much i never quit.  LOL

• LOL 4
22 hours ago, carrps said:

My sister just retired from Santa Monica Hospital (now part of the UCLA chain), and in the early days she said they'd have patients smoking in their rooms....with oxygen tanks right there. She also said it was a real pain having to play musical beds with all the patients who didn't want to be in a room with a smoker. Today that sounds insane.

When I was in the hospital (St. John's in Santa Monica) getting my tonsils out and minor ear surgery in the early 60s, my roommate was a Thalidomide victim. She only had stumps for both arms and legs, but I was so impressed by how well she could color by holding the crayon between her shoulder and cheek (we shared coloring books).

Smoking was always pretty popular, but the tobacco companies lobbied the government to include cigarettes in the rations that G.I.s had in WWII. That hooked an entire generation.

Yeah my Pediatrician used to spark up during his office visits.  Crazy.  

• LOL 1
On 7/31/2020 at 10:24 AM, hisbunkie said:

I get crazy angry when I hear people talk about not trusting scientists and science because opinions change and evolve. 

Every bank teller burning one and sharing their ashtray with you, pedestal ashtrays at intervals in the wait line. Every desk in the utilities office with a live ashtray. Ashtrays and matches next to the condiments on every restaurant table. Grocery store cashiers sharing their ashtrays with you. IIRC teachers smoked in classrooms and kept their matches and lighters in their pockets - Safety First! Both parents smoking in the car on short jaunts and cross-country trips, and hosting house parties where smoke filled the rooms.

Scientists, bless their hearts, we need 'em, but why was my boomer generation not entirely wiped out by the second-hand smoke most of us ingested every day and night of our childhoods? It's a mystery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So that was the last episode of the season ? I was waiting for an ALL NEW "VIEW YOUR DEAL' to kick off my summer weekend ! Where was it ?

Good riddance to a God-awful season (IMO). Why they tried so hard to morph this show into QVC or HSN this past season, is beyond me. Then when COVID hit, they tried to guilt-trip their viewers (who were now unemployed or under employed) to buy garbage from desperate small business owners who started their dreary plea for help with 'The pandemic has hit us really hard...'  Maybe they should have applied for the small business programs given out by the feds and their local state government ? Maybe THE VIEW could have helped each small business owner that way with a financial adviser, rather than have them beg for sales ? Just came off so rather cheesy to me.

Then there was the usual mumble-grumble with each other (Thanks MeAgain) that often took away from the conversation itself. It only got worse when Abby left, and the four were left to their own devices. I missed them doing a live show on Fridays with Joy as the moderator and Anna filling in - I guess MeAgain took care of that for everyone. And since March, the 'View from Home' has been a train wreck.

And as much as I like Sunny over the past few years (she's grown on me) is it necessary for her to talk about every black  or Latino notable (doctor, politician, actor, actress, journalist, lawyer, author)  with the preface "I know him / her very well...." ?  For the sake of brevity, Sunny, we will go out on a limb and make the presumption you know the person being discussed in 'Hot Topics' very well. If you don't -  surprise us ! Preface with, "You're not going to believe this, but I don't know this Latina politician very well'. 

If there was one stand-out for me, a must-see TV moment which will live on forever - it was the day Michigan Governor Whitmer was on, and her video / audio froze just when Meghan was being her petulant self. Whitmer was frozen in time, just giving her the 'death stare' like a Disney Ice Princess - and a few seconds went by (am eternity on live TV) before they realized she wasn't staring her down, she was actually frozen in time. Whitmer deserves an Emmy. Or her Internet provider does...

See you all in September for Season 24. What I will do without the ability to buy Oprah's favorite sunglasses, sarongs, beach bags, self-cleaning beach towels and sunscreen for the rest of the summer - I just don't know. Wish me luck !

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 5

In ~1977 I had a professor who smoked while lecturing and flames started coming out of the metal wastebasket. He grabbed a large book, laid it on top of the wastebasket, cutting off the oxygen & putting out the fire.  He kept on lecturing as if nothing had happened, without missing a beat.   Later I thought he may have staged it to look cool (did he intentionally bring the correct-sized book?), but it could just have been that there was no ashtray on the lectern.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, suomi said:

Scientists, bless their hearts, we need 'em, but why was my boomer generation not entirely wiped out by the second-hand smoke most of us ingested every day and night of our childhoods? It's a mystery.

I always think how much smarter, healthier, how much better environment would be now if the tobacco industry would have been stopped. 
Our family dentist smoked, back then they did not use gloves for routine care.  It was disgusting.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, ForumLou said:

Gmta at first...  But i don't think that anymore.  You used to not be able to tell by looking at her, but this last couple of days....i don't know if it was the type of blouse/collar that made the emphasis, but i noticed her breast(es) have suddenly gotten huge.  They're sitting just under her chin.  Definitely preggy.  I'm sorry for the personal comment.  Said with all due respect of course.  Yeah i can add i have the exact same problem, but no pregnancy to blame it on lol.  Just liked the eating for 2 part so much i never quit.  LOL

It's so hard being a busty conservative woman! Gotta order not only the crib but custom made nursing bras! 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It's so hard being a busty conservative woman! Gotta order not only the crib but custom made nursing bras

Red, white and blue with stars and stripes. After all, by the time s/he is born they will have been in politics for 9 months. 

• LOL 10