Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E16: Bering Sea Wrecking Ball

• Start Topic

Stuffed pots come at a price as Jake scrambles to repair a slack tank before it kills his crab or capsizes the Saga. Josh and Casey's rudder fails in heavy traffic and Wild Bill's new greenhorn makes an easy target for an out-of-control picking hook.

Josh Harris is a whiny douche.   "Noooobooody told meeeee."   Dude, you are the Captain, and part owner of the boat, not to mention, "born, bred and corn fed" to be a fisherman and you have to be told don't run the boat all out when you are fixing a problem?    He really showed tonight that he is literally a poser who has not one clue to what he doing.    Hopefully this is the last season we see this jackass.

• Love 5

I am so sick of Josh.  He really proved that he is only there for the cameras.  He knows NOTHING.  Then he threw the deckhand under the bus with Casey with his remark.  Such a douche bag.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, iluvobx said:

I am so sick of Josh.  He really proved that he is only there for the cameras.  He knows NOTHING.  Then he threw the deckhand under the bus with Casey with his remark.  Such a douche bag.

I have never piloted anything bigger than a rowboat.  Even with that level of experience, I think I'd know that if there is a problem in the engine room of a motorized vehicle, and there's smoke, and the REAL captain says, "Keep it in neutral," I would NOT take it out of neutral without at least checking first with the person who gave me that order.  

I believe that referring to Josh as a "captain" is partly because Disco wants to use that as part of his story line, and partly because he is a part-owner of the boat.  But anyone with a brain has to wonder:  Has Josh ever (to our knowledge) actually taken the boat out on his own without Casey?  Could it be he is not legally licensed to do so?  He seems to have less status than Keith's brother on the Wizard.  At least "Mouse" can take the boat out and fish without Keith being on board.

Think about it: 

• If there is a medical issue on the boat, Casey handles it.
  • If there is a mechanical issue on the boat, Casey handles it.
  • Casey directs Josh on what he should do/where he should go while Casey is sleeping.  If Josh does his own thing instead, it's usually done with an attitude of "This is what Casey wants, but I'm going to do my own thing (hee hee hee)."  

Josh does less on the boat than the greenhorn.  He sits in his padded chair - NOT watching for rogue waves - and the most strenuous thing he does is adjust his hat and grow his beard.  Oh . . . and gaze adoringly at pictures of "the old man."

Pathetic.

ETA:  Jake's voice is really sounding rough, and he's still smoking like a furnace.  He has small kids . . . wish he would take better care of himself.

It was impressive, though . . . when that pump wasn't functioning in the aft tank, he was right down there in the engine room, helping to diagnose and repair the problem.  I honestly doubt whether Josh Harris even knows where the engine room on the CM is.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I have never piloted anything bigger than a rowboat.  Even with that level of experience, I think I'd know that if there is a problem in the engine room of a motorized vehicle, and there's smoke, and the REAL captain says, "Keep it in neutral," I would NOT take it out of neutral without at least checking first with the person who gave me that order.  

I believe that referring to Josh as a "captain" is partly because Disco wants to use that as part of his story line, and partly because he is a part-owner of the boat.  But anyone with a brain has to wonder:  Has Josh ever (to our knowledge) actually taken the boat out on his own without Casey?  Could it be he is not legally licensed to do so?  He seems to have less status than Keith's brother on the Wizard.  At least "Mouse" can take the boat out and fish without Keith being on board.

Think about it: 

• If there is a medical issue on the boat, Casey handles it.
  • If there is a mechanical issue on the boat, Casey handles it.
  • Casey directs Josh on what he should do/where he should go while Casey is sleeping.  If Josh does his own thing instead, it's usually done with an attitude of "This is what Casey wants, but I'm going to do my own thing (hee hee hee)."  

Josh does less on the boat than the greenhorn.  He sits in his padded chair - NOT watching for rogue waves - and the most strenuous thing he does is adjust his hat and grow his beard.  Oh . . . and gaze adoringly at pictures of "the old man."

Pathetic.

ETA:  Jake's voice is really sounding rough, and he's still smoking like a furnace.  He has small kids . . . wish he would take better care of himself.

It was impressive, though . . . when that pump wasn't functioning in the aft tank, he was right down there in the engine room, helping to diagnose and repair the problem.  I honestly doubt whether Josh Harris even knows where the engine room on the CM is.

I am calling bullshit on him being part owner.  No way would he have the money to buy into it. Disco tried that shit before after Phil died but Cornelia Marie still owned it.  I will admit, I am too lazy to look up the registration to find out but maybe Casey's dad/ Trident put up $$$ for it.  Casey has stated that Josh is never on the CM when the cameras aren't there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iluvobx said:

I am calling bullshit on him being part owner.  No way would he have the money to buy into it. Disco tried that shit before after Phil died but Cornelia Marie still owned it.  I will admit, I am too lazy to look up the registration to find out but maybe Casey's dad/ Trident put up $$$ for it.  Casey has stated that Josh is never on the CM when the cameras aren't there.

Casey and Josh ARE partial owners of the boat, with two other investors.  Casey has said that Josh has the largest single percentage, which could mean something like he owns 26% (still not a majority) and the others each own 24.6%.  I'm pretty sure that if Josh owned 51%, Casey (or some other REAL captain) would still be doing the actual fishing, but we'd never see him on camera.  LOL.

Right after Phil died (leaving each son half of his 25% ownership), the sons got the other owners to agree to continue "fishing" and being on the TV show with them as part of the crew, with Captain Derrick Ray as the licensed captain.  I've read a number of articles about Derrick - and even got to meet him in Ketchikan, Alaska.  He has made no secret of the fact that the Harris boys had NO interest in crabbing.  When they wanted to stay at the dock because they didn't want to waste money on fuel, Derrick said, "We can't catch crabs at the dock."  Josh responded back, "You don't understand.  We're not here (on the CM) to catch crab.  We're here to film a TV show."  

That wraps it up in a tidy little bow, doesn't it?

Since those days, Josh has acquired the largest single amount of ownership. Which could mean he gave his brother, Jake, about $100 to sign over his 12.5% (druggies will do ANYTHING for their next fix), and then came up with enough to buy 1 more % to give him the largest block of ownership.  Josh does better as a TV person and his share of the crab sales than he would do otherwise.  He owns at least one fancy car (inherited from Phil) and a decent house.  

Jake is truly Phil's son.  According to Josh (speaking about Phil):  "He’d get a check for $80,000 but after three weeks it was gone.  Pharmaceutical quality Peruvian flake cocaine and high-grade strains of cannabis were the way Phil rolled."  Yeah . . . truly praiseworthy behavior from "the old man," huh.

When Casey first came onto the CM to - theoretically - act as Josh's partner and mentor, I thought maybe he would be a good influence on Josh and really teach him things that Phil was too drugged out to do.  But after seeing that idiot sit on the port side of the wheelhouse after all these years and NOT see a rogue wave coming at the crew, I figure he's still too busy looking in the mirror to notice or care anything else.  And - again this week - he's stupid enough to put the boat into gear after being given ONE simple instruction:  "Keep it in neutral."  He is 37 years old, and still has demonstrated NO sensible behavior.

My favorite seasons on Deadliest Catch were the ones without the CM - or at least without Josh Harris and weekly shots of the picture of Phil Harris.

• Love 4

Major edit shenanigans.  We had the Summer Bay iced over.  "40 miles South," we had zero ice on the Saga.   Later, "100 miles North (of the Saga)," we go back to an ice-free Summer Bay.  Heckuva warm front, dude.

Jake's engineering skills are tops.  Always have been.  He's got to learn to manage emotion and learn how to lead.

Todd is a HOF Greenhorn.  Something has gotsta change, right?  Getting bopped on the head was not on him.  

Boy, I sure hope Ameriker's F/V's can beat dem Russkies!  Ugh.

• Love 1