Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: I've Never Met My Fiancé

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, dirtypop90 said:

People or just an expectation of women? On here and social media there were many comments about the looks of the Kate, Mindy, and Amber and them not being “hot enough,” “not their type” and questions why they were paired. Not a lot of comments such as those women are “nice” so those men should wake up and be grateful for what they had, like I’m hearing with Karen and Miles, as if men just need to be nice and women need to meet a much higher list of demands to be considered a catch worth holding on to.

Well I can't account for every idiot on social media but I feel like a lot of conversation I remember from here was about the guys thinking the girls weren't hot enough for them or their type.  Because they were douchebags.  And in general I think women tend to be wiser than men in getting to know someone and finding them more/less attractive once they do.  For example, I did not find Greg (of Greg and Deonna) attractive at all at the beginning of their season.  Now I think he looks great!

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I would say everyone on this show is pretty average.  They look like normal people which I enjoy seeing on tv these days 

The American version is the antitheses to the Australian iteration of MAFS... the telenovella antics, bitchiness of the total cast towards each other, over acting vying for camera time,  Frederick's of Hollywood wardrobe, ballooned lipped women, big boobed, tiny bodied women, overly groomed men, fame whores the lot of them. FF the commercials for the AU show...

We have scruffy Bennett, Hirsute Amelia, normal boobed Olivia, regal Amani, elegant Karen, humble Miles, aw shucks Henry.

Woody is a tad over the top, Brett is self destructive obnoxious and Christina is high maintenance but nowhere near the fakery of the AU cast.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, princelina said:

Well I can't account for every idiot on social media but I feel like a lot of conversation I remember from here was about the guys thinking the girls weren't hot enough for them or their type.  Because they were douchebags.  And in general I think women tend to be wiser than men in getting to know someone and finding them more/less attractive once they do.  For example, I did not find Greg (of Greg and Deonna) attractive at all at the beginning of their season.  Now I think he looks great!

I think both Bennett and Miles are adorable (or adorkable) but I don't know them yet.  Check with me again at the end of the season, LOL.  It can go either way.  I never found Greg attractive and still don't, but it has nothing to do with how decent he is as a person, he's just not my type.  I think Karen is very attractive too but I can't understand why she would say that Miles isn't her type just based on a few "emotional" videos.  Wow, that's picky!  If they matched me with him I'd be more inclined to give him a chance even if I saw the videos and wasn't crazy about them.  I hope she doesn't turn out to be one of those super picky women that doesn't give a decent, good looking guy a chance because she thinks she's worth more than someone a million women would stand in line to have the opportunity to marry!

• Love 2
On 7/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, Neurochick said:

I didn't know that shaving under your arms could prevent disease.  Is it like that with all body hair?  

What I don't like about Amelia is, it's okay if you don't want to have a "traditional" wedding.  But then you can take it too far too.  Nothing wrong with the colors her bridesmaids were wearing, but what was with their hats?  That was extra.  It's like being quirky for quirky's sake.  Like, she just wants people to look at her.

I also found it odd that Amelia's bridesmaids staged that walk/unicycle down the aisle complete with veils, and beforehand were draped all over her in some kind of weird harem fantasy.  They were over the top in fauning/performing their closeness to her and telling her how Bennett's simple pebble necklace was just what her crazy outfit needed.  It all seemed delusional and fake.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, princelina said:

Maybe "the audience" does so because that is actually how people behave.  IMO Luke, Zach and Matt were paired with women who were their equals looks-wise; I'm sure those men didn't think so.

I must say.  I'm not a "curly girl" - I'm a stringy haired, flat headed  nothing girl.  For those people who put all that time into controlling their curly hair - good for you.  When rain storms or giant humidity come along, I'm sure you feel bad about your big old curly hair. Those of us who have spent all morning trying to make our stringy, straight old hair hold a curl for five minutes spend the rest of the day wishing for something other than stringy old straight old hair - I pray for someone to reserve a gigantic opinion about how easy it is to make straight hair look appealing to anyone 🙂 

And also hoping for no rain/humidity to make our hair go even flatter and straighter after said time spent curling it.  😂

• Love 2

ALL ABOUT BRETT:

-I was soooooo expecting Brett to continue his God's gift to women routine at the wedding and therefore validate my low opinion of him, but he really surprised me.   While he did write out his "marriage vows" to Olivia, he didn't read directly from them.  He actually seemed to have put some thought into what he was going to say.  

-There may have been one point at the reception where I have to agree with other posters....he didn't look like he was in to her.  But for most of the time he was on camera he seemed interested.  

- Bravo that he liked and appreciated the wedding gift Olivia gave him.  

- If ever there's someone who loves and craves attention, it's Brett's brother Stephen.   What.  A.  Douche.     

• Love 6
(edited)

Karen/Miles and Amani/Woody are giving me hope so far. Was Woody trying to suggest that Amani is too beautiful to be black? I loved her response "I'm black mixed with more black." I'm using that line in the future. 

I don't see things working out for Brett and Olivia.  Them both having cats doesn't make them a good match (looking at you Dr Pepper). I have a feeling that he's going to make Zach look like a great husband. 

Bennett and Amelia have met before.  Bennett did not seem happy to see her at all. To quote Pastor Cal,  a good match on paper doesn't necessarily mean a good match in real life ( looking at you Drs. Viviana and Pepper). I'm waiting to hear how the both know each other and why Bennett was not impressed. 

Edited by spunky
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, spunky said:

I don't see things working out for Brett and Olivia.  Them both having cats doesn't make them a good match (looking at you Dr Pepper). I have a feeling that he's going to make Zach look like a great husband. 

If not loving cats or even not having a cat is one of your biggest deal breakers, you get what you deserve if that has to be ruled out before finding you a match.  It kind of shrinks the pool down a LOT.  I love cats but sheesh!  If they had to say, "oh, he can be a douche, but he has a CAT so maybe they'll work things out", how ridiculous is THAT?  These "experts" should know better than that.  Not having a cat is minor if the guy is not a douche!

And this is actually a better reason than some of the doozies the "experts" have come up with for matching people.  Like when Dr. Pepper said they matched Jessica and Ryan in season 2 because they "looked sexy together".  And remember how THAT worked out.  🙄

I watch the show "Alone" and on some seasons they change things up a little - On this show I wish they would  have the "experts" enlist the help of everyone's best friend when making a match.  Of course that presumes that they have a best friend who knows them well and is able to provide some good insight.  But of course, that isn't possible because we all know they don't want us to know how the sausage is really made on this show and how many of these matches are bogus.

• Love 4

I really thought Woody and Amani were adorable.  I especially liked the fact that Woody, as soon as he found out Amani was an intern recruiter at her work, pitched hiring some of the disadvantaged kids he helps out.  Shows he doesn't just talk the talk....he truly cares about the kids.  These two will clash due to the fact he's very outgoing and she seems pretty laid back.  And they will drive each other nuts for a while until they figure out how to work it out. 

Brett's bullying, attention seeking brothers should have been forbidden from picking up a pen or microphone to convey what kind of person their brother is.  Instead of saying one simple nice thing about him in a tribute or toast, those adolescent frat boys turned it into a comedy roast.  Hey a-holes....did you notice who wasn't really laughing?  Your brother.  Because you embarrassed and humiliated him in front of his new wife and family.   I don't give a crap that that's how they normally treat each other.  There's no more sarcastic, put-down artists than myself and my siblings, but there's a time and place for everything.  Brett needed their support, especially when his own parents refused to attend the ceremony.  I don't agree with other posters that because they didn't say one nice thing, that there was nothing good to say and Brett is a total write off.  I hated Brett after last week but watching him this week, I think he genuinely does want to be married and got into it for the right reasons.  Olivia is very sweet, and while not ravishingly beautiful, she is pretty.  She's also down-to-earth and didn't come into this with stars in her eyes.  I think they have a chance.

Amelia.....you KNOW you aren't everyone's cup of tea.  And because you are meeting your new husband and his family for the first time, why not consider dialing it back a little until you see the lay of the land?  Amelia needed an older sister type to come in, take one look at her and her bridal party, and put the hammer down on the dimestore cheap eye makeup, the ridiculous bird nesting in her hair, and the cringe worthy bridesmaid attire and unicycle.   It must have been a loooooonnnnnngggg day for the entire group once Amelia and Bennett recognized each other.  Filming surely shut down immediately and the producers were probably simultaneously grilling both A&B about how they knew each other AND in contact with Reverand Cal, Dr Pepper, and whomever else to get guidance on how to proceed.  My opinion, and feel free to offer your own, is that IF A&B actually dated/met somewhere alone/were introduced by friend(s)...even just once....they would have been scratched from the show.  That's the whole premise of MAFS...that couples meet for the first time at the altar.  No...I think it's more like Bennett and his friends were out at a bar/eatery and one of his friends saw Amelia and brought her back to their table to BRIEFLY introduce her.  Or one of his friends went out with her and introduced her to Bennett, and in all instances it was briefly.  Not a lot of interaction between A&B.  However, judging from the wide ranging looks of shock, goofiness, whatever on the faces of his friends when they saw her, I think it might be a situation where Bennett knows more of her because of things one of his friends said.  Like maybe his friend dated her, introduced her to all his nerdy friends including Bennett, dated her a few times and relayed to his friends how cray cray she is.  And that's why Bennett sounded less than thrilled when he announced he met her before.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I actualy really like Amelia. She is who she is and is true to herself.  And she seems very down to earth for a doctor.  I've worked with a lot of doctors and I think if anyone had said "God" in their presence, they would all have turned en masse and said, Yes?"  She appears very accessible for her position.  Plus, she showed up at the auditions, so to speak, being her quirky self, and the experts (I use the term lightly) contacted her and said, We have a match ( for your quirky, unusual self!) So now I think, "Go, Amelia! Be who you are! The "experts" have found someone for you so bring it!"  (I just can't bring myself to write experts without some qualifying modifier because I don't think they are very good at their job.  But that's not the participants' fault; the onus here is on the experts.)  

Also, I'm kind of amazed at her athletic ability. I would think crouching on a tightrope, raising yourself up and walking on it would take a tremendous amount of skill. 

She'll also--eventually-- be bringing a lot of financial stability into the marriage. Not to speak badly of Bennett's choices-that's who he is--but the old adage of "money can't buy happiness but it sure takes the edge off misery" seems to apply here.

I'm just hoping these two crazy kids can make it.

(And no, I'm not Amelia's mom, or cousin or college roommate, etc .)   🙂

Edited by rebel2u
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

I actualy really like Amelia. She is who she is and is true to herself.  And she seems very down to earth for a doctor.  I've worked with a lot of doctors and I think if anyone had said "God" in their presence, they would all have turned en masse and said, Yes?" 

She's not even a resident yet.  Give her a few years and she'll get there.

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, spunky said:

Karen/Miles and Amani/Woody are giving me hope so far. Was Woody trying to suggest that Amani is too beautiful to be black? I loved her response "I'm black mixed with more black." I'm using that line in the future. 

Bennett and Amelia have met before.  Bennett did not seem happy to see her at all. To quote Pastor Cal,  a good match on paper doesn't necessarily mean a good match in real life ( looking at you Drs. Viviana and Pepper). I'm waiting to hear how the both know each other and why Bennett was not impressed. 

I was surprised at how disappointed Bennett looked. It was like he must of immediately disliked her when he first met her.  

28 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

I actualy really like Amelia. She is who she is and is true to herself.  And she seems very down to earth for a doctor.  I've worked with a lot of doctors and I think if anyone had said "God" in their presence, they would all have turned en masse and said, Yes?"  She appears very accessible for her position.  Plus, she showed up at the auditions, so to speak, being her quirky self, and the experts (I use the term lightly) contacted her and said, We have a match ( for your quirky, unusual self!) So now I think, "Go, Amelia! Be who you are! The "experts" have found someone for you so bring it!"  (I just can't bring myself to write experts without some qualifying modifier because I don't think they are very good at their job.  But that's not the participants' fault; the onus here is on the experts.  

Also, I'm kind of amazed at her athletic ability. I would think crouching on a tightrope, raising yourself up and walking on it would take a tremendous amount of skill. 

She'll also--eventually-- be bringing a lot of financial stability into the marriage. Not to speak badly of Bennett's choices-that's who he is--but the old adage of "money can't buy happiness but it sure takes the edge off misery" seems to apply here.

If Bennett holds on, he can fulfill his dream of one day owning his own toilet.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

I actualy really like Amelia. She is who she is and is true to herself.  And she seems very down to earth for a doctor.  I've worked with a lot of doctors and I think if anyone had said "God" in their presence, they would all have turned en masse and said, Yes?"  She appears very accessible for her position.  Plus, she showed up at the auditions, so to speak, being her quirky self, and the experts (I use the term lightly) contacted her and said, We have a match ( for your quirky, unusual self!) So now I think, "Go, Amelia! Be who you are! The "experts" have found someone for you so bring it!"  (I just can't bring myself to write experts without some qualifying modifier because I don't think they are very good at their job.  But that's not the participants' fault; the onus here is on the experts.)  

She's obviously very smart and very talented (I admired her musical talent!).

I think it's the question of whether she's really herself or if this is that person laying on the "I'm so quirky isn't that interesting?" persona.  Like her friends!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, humbleopinion said:

The American version is the antitheses to the Australian iteration of MAFS... the telenovella antics, bitchiness of the total cast towards each other, over acting vying for camera time,  Frederick's of Hollywood wardrobe, ballooned lipped women, big boobed, tiny bodied women, overly groomed men, fame whores the lot of them. FF the commercials for the AU show...

We have scruffy Bennett, Hirsute Amelia, normal boobed Olivia, regal Amani, elegant Karen, humble Miles, aw shucks Henry.

Woody is a tad over the top, Brett is self destructive obnoxious and Christina is high maintenance but nowhere near the fakery of the AU cast.

AU cast is not my cup of tea.  Everything you said is exactly how I feel. Trashy balloon lipped women, big boobs tiny body women on and on and on and on. Seems to me the worst of any housewife type reality show.  To me the people, especially most of the women, are just so unattractive because they've been so manipulated through surgery and other enhancements. I don't like how they look not how they look how they act, very trashy in my opinion.I tried to watch the show but I really just can't. On top of it all I do have problems with their accents but I would go close caption if I thought I would like the show. I just can't watch through my fingers.

Edited by Kira53
I don't remember to proofread.
  • Love 5

And she seems very down to earth for a doctor.  I've worked with a lot of doctors and I think if anyone had said "God" in their presence, they would all have turned en masse and said, Yes?" 

I know a lot of doctors too and they are like any other subset of people - some are really nice, kind people and others are assholes. 

I think it's the question of whether she's really herself or if this is that person laying on the "I'm so quirky isn't that interesting?" persona.  Like her friends!

That's my issue with Amelia - she strikes me as pretty artificial. I think she works at being this quirky personality instead of just being genuine (which might still be pretty quirky but perhaps not as much)?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

That's my issue with Amelia - she strikes me as pretty artificial. I think she works at being this quirky personality instead of just being genuine (which might still be pretty quirky but perhaps not as much)?

Tryhard quirkiness, like Jennifer Lawrence.  It's very obviously an act.  You can be around people like that for years and never really know them and that doesn't work at all for the accelerated intimacy of the show.

15 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

AU cast is not my cup of tea.  Everything you said is exactly how I feel. Trashy balloon lipped women, big boobs tiny body women on and on and on and on. Seems to me the worst of any housewife type reality show.  To me the people, especially most of the women, are just so unattractive because they've been so manipulated through surgery and other enhancements. I don't like how they look not how they look how they act, very trashy in my opinion.I tried to watch the show but I really just can't. On top of it all I do have problems with their accents but I would go close caption if I thought I would like the show. I just can't watch through my fingers.

And they hook up with each other both during the "marriages" and after the show.  Classless and a complete lack of shame.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I was surprised at how disappointed Bennett looked. It was like he must of immediately disliked her when he first met her.  

He probably wanted to run but didn't want to seem rude.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If not loving cats or even not having a cat is one of your biggest deal breakers, you get what you deserve if that has to be ruled out before finding you a match.  It kind of shrinks the pool down a LOT.  I love cats but sheesh!  If they had to say, "oh, he can be a douche, but he has a CAT so maybe they'll work things out", how ridiculous is THAT?  These "experts" should know better than that.  Not having a cat is minor if the guy is not a douche!

And this is actually a better reason than some of the doozies the "experts" have come up with for matching people.  Like when Dr. Pepper said they matched Jessica and Ryan in season 2 because they "looked sexy together".  And remember how THAT worked out.  🙄

I watch the show "Alone" and on some seasons they change things up a little - On this show I wish they would  have the "experts" enlist the help of everyone's best friend when making a match.  Of course that presumes that they have a best friend who knows them well and is able to provide some good insight.  But of course, that isn't possible because we all know they don't want us to know how the sausage is really made on this show and how many of these matches are bogus.

I can't with Dr. Pepper and her reasoning sometimes.  Loving cats and looking sexy together are not good reasons to match people. I haven't heard of "Alone", I'll have to check it out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, spunky said:

I can't with Dr. Pepper and her reasoning sometimes.  Loving cats and looking sexy together are not good reasons to match people. I haven't heard of "Alone", I'll have to check it out.

I know she no longer has any fucks left to give but she could at least pretend to try to find reasonable sounding criteria to match people up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I know she no longer has any fucks left to give but she could at least pretend to try to find reasonable sounding criteria to match people up.

Agreed. Pretend or leave and let someone else get the job.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Tryhard quirkiness, like Jennifer Lawrence.  It's very obviously an act.  You can be around people like that for years and never really know them and that doesn't work at all for the accelerated intimacy of the show.

And they hook up with each other both during the "marriages" and after the show.  Classless and a complete lack of shame.

Perfect explanaition -- the Jennfier Lawrence syndrome!

Also, I learned that with MAF in Australia, their marriages aren't legal.  So each contestant really has nothing to lose since it's just a pretend ceremony and basically a dating show and it's going to attract the attention whores.

I mean, I think anyone who signs up for a reality show is essentially an attention whore; they're looking for fame.  But at least with the US version, there' an actual legal marriage on the books.  If the reality show relationship doesn't work, they've got to go through a divorce.   Any other mate is going to know that they've been married before.  It takes on more weight in the US version.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, qtpye said:

I hope there’s a juicy story there and that it’s not just another silly cliffhanger moment that amounts to nothing.  

16 hours ago, qtpye said:

😆

• Love 3

Anyone else trying to savor this season because we do not know how MAFS moves forward for any future seasons during Covid times?

The sad face emoji just isn't sad enough for the loss of US MAFS...Covid brain has made me soft headed and sappy.

Slap me and snap me out of it....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, Empress1 said:

There was a ton of this re: Mindy and Zach. “She didn’t shower once, she must have BO! Why is she in sweats?” Meanwhile Zach told her he wasn’t attracted to her literally when she was in her wedding gown. 

Miles is chubby?! He does not look chubby to me. At all. He said he plays football and I can see that, but he doesn’t read as chubby to me.

He played in college. His face is fat and body looks chubby/husky but not muscular.  Reminds me of what happens to former football players (my guess is he was a linemen) who don’t keep up their workout routine but don’t change eating habits. Eventually they just turn flabby. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, JapMo said:

- Bravo that he liked and appreciated the wedding gift Olivia gave him.  

So Olivia gave a gift and so did Bennett.  But they didn't show us any other gifts, which used to be a major part of the show.  So are we to believe that they no longer require the gift exchange and that Olivia and Bennett chose to do it but no one else did, or that they still require it but cut out all other references to any other gifts?

• Useful 1
On 7/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, gonecrackers said:

Anyone curious as to what JamieO won't be wearing this season for Unfiltered? Hope she's a bit more subdued this time, since those of us who had been watching Couples Cam have seen more than enough...😬

I like Jamie a lot.  Her wedding was so funny and she was so funny that I’ll be a fan forever.  She rose to the occasion. A good sport and good with the hard questions 

• Love 1
On 7/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, absolutelyido said:

Geez, Brett's family and friends couldn't even come up with anything nice to say about him in the "family and friends want you to know" part of the ceremony. If I were Olivia, I'd have major reservations just based on that.

Not a good match, I agree. But I am sorry that Brett had to hold his own in that balls-breaking hateful family.  As I recall, he lost weight and maybe is the sensitive one who may have some untapped potential.  I hope so.   Something about him I feel sorry for.   

• Love 2