Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: A Duggar Bachelor Pad

• Start Topic

On 7/23/2020 at 11:46 PM, truebluesmoky said:

I can never fully snark on Jessa and Ben, because their kids are a delight. They seem so happy and even thankful, kind, protective of one another, well spoken (in Spurgeon’s case), and cooperative. I may roll my eyes at Amazing Grace being their road trip song of choice, but if that’s making them happy and creating a memory that Spurgeon happily recalls in his talking head, more power to them. I do hope they stop having kids soon. Spurgeon seems naturally helpful, good natured, and sensible. A lot of pressure will end up being put on him as the oldest if Jessa and Ben are planning on being Boob and J’chelle 2.0.

I would agree with you if I believed we saw the whole picture. Jessa is very careful to put a picture of a blissfully happy family on SM. She is a lot like JB and Josh and thinks she has the upper hand in manipulating fans and snarkers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Spurgie was in charge of feeding himself and Henry in the mornings while Ben & Jessa laid in bed with Ivy. Or all three kids spending a lot of time in a chair "reading books", most often Henry. 

The Duggar 19 looked happy and clean in the earlier shows as well. Jessa has had years of training and she paid attention. Its probably the one thing she puts real effort into - fooling her followers. She's done it for so long she probably is fooling herself as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I would agree with you if I believed we saw the whole picture. Jessa is very careful to put a picture of a blissfully happy family on SM. She is a lot like JB and Josh and thinks she has the upper hand in manipulating fans and snarkers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Spurgie was in charge of feeding himself and Henry in the mornings while Ben & Jessa laid in bed with Ivy. Or all three kids spending a lot of time in a chair "reading books", most often Henry. 

The Duggar 19 looked happy and clean in the earlier shows as well. Jessa has had years of training and she paid attention. Its probably the one thing she puts real effort into - fooling her followers. She's done it for so long she probably is fooling herself as well.

Doesn't this apply to most people on social media? Always making their lives look polished and perfect. The highlight reel, if you will. 

• Love 19
46 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

Doesn't this apply to most people on social media? Always making their lives look polished and perfect. The highlight reel, if you will. 

Yes, I think for many, if not most.

• Love 4

A friend of mine has been sending me pictures throughout the last few of months of a couple of home improvement projects. She was also posting some of the pics on SM. Sometimes she would send me pictures asking me , "should I do this or this". The last one was for kitchen knobs and handles. I straight up asked her if she would be changing her knobs to a trendy brass tone if it wasn't for SM. She's keeping her old knobs. Even 'regular' folk need a reality check every once in a while.

There's no one reality checking the Duggars. If they did we would have never seen the twins twin beds and Jessa would know bringing snacks and toys on a car trip is not a mom hack. They were on a three hour car ride. We didn't seeing the whining of "are we there yet", or having to get off the highway because someone had to pee. We didn't see Ivy fussing because she was fidgety, but Ben wanting to keep driving anyway, etc. We saw Mom of the Year 2.0, bringing snacks and toys on a car trip.

• Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's no one reality checking the Duggars. If they did we would have never seen the twins twin beds and Jessa would know bringing snacks and toys on a car trip is not a mom hack.

This is why I think that TLC kind of hates them and is subtly trolling them. I would not be surprised to find out TLC "hinted" that it would be a great twin-thing to show them still sharing a bedroom.

Edited by Nysha
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, zenme said:

My 3 year old granddaughter likes those car bingo boards.  Why on earth would she give them a car? What are they supposed to do with that?

throw it out the window to see if it'll fly? 

or throw it into the front seat to see mom and dad jump? 

or just the old standby when kids have one toy between them and don't really know what to do with that -- fight over it

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

This episode really drove home the point for me that, despite how awfully their beliefs stifle females, those beliefs can be used very well to chain males into miserable lots in life as well. 

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Tikichick said:

This episode really drove home the point for me that, despite how awfully their beliefs stifle females, those beliefs can be used very well to chain males into miserable lots in life as well. 

Name one of these men, besides Jim Bob, that is actually truly happy. I suspect Jeremy comes closest, but even then it’s not what most people would recognize as happiness. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Nysha said:

This is why I think that TLC kind of hates them and is subtly trolling them. I would not be surprised to find out TLC "hinted" that it would be a great twin-thing to show them still sharing a bedroom.

well the reality is both JED! and Jeer are registered to vote at that same address. they were willing to go on TV with JED! running for office showing they shared a bedroom with twin beds. but seriously they have shared a bedroom with all Duggar males their entire lives and it wasn't a "twin thing"

• Love 9
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Name one of these men, besides Jim Bob, that is actually truly happy. I suspect Jeremy comes closest, but even then it’s not what most people would recognize as happiness. 

Bottom line for me, it's really all about the cult of Jim Bob.  He has spent his entire marriage, and the lifetimes of his 19 children, setting up a system that serves his wants first, foremost and always.  I'm completely disgusted and repulsed.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Bottom line for me, it's really all about the cult of Jim Bob.  He has spent his entire marriage, and the lifetimes of his 19 children, setting up a system that serves his wants first, foremost and always.  I'm completely disgusted and repulsed.

This is why there’s going to be chaos when Jim Bob and Michelle eventually pass away. Everything is set up for their pleasure and not specifically for everyone’s long-term interests. Good luck getting that money Jessa!

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

And that's exactly why he's glommed onto the Gothard cult so determinedly, too. 

Gothard's entire shtick, from the time he started trying to attract crowds and dollars in the late 60s-early 70s, has been promising men worried they were losing their power over their wives and offspring in these degenerate days that he had constructed a whole system of thought and behavior that would make it possible for them to continue to keep their captives chained up......Old Bill always knew a desperate market when he saw it, and he was filling stadiums with guys eager to hear this message from the time he started.

And he delivered, too. ATI and IBLP have always consisted of a whole bunch of schemes and systems and mechanisms for desperate patriarchs to keep their wives and children in a box and beneath them. Jim Bob and the whole desperate crew of guys (and, to a slightly lesser extent since they are also among the captives in these schemes , equally eager-to-control-kids "Christian wives") have signed up and paid for this.

And those who want it more than they want anything else are still hanging on, even though the House of Gothard has been crumbling badly now for over a decade. And JB is a front-and-center member of that group. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A friend of mine has been sending me pictures throughout the last few of months of a couple of home improvement projects. She was also posting some of the pics on SM. Sometimes she would send me pictures asking me , "should I do this or this". The last one was for kitchen knobs and handles. I straight up asked her if she would be changing her knobs to a trendy brass tone if it wasn't for SM. She's keeping her old knobs. Even 'regular' folk need a reality check every once in a while.

There's no one reality checking the Duggars. If they did we would have never seen the twins twin beds and Jessa would know bringing snacks and toys on a car trip is not a mom hack. They were on a three hour car ride. We didn't seeing the whining of "are we there yet", or having to get off the highway because someone had to pee. We didn't see Ivy fussing because she was fidgety, but Ben wanting to keep driving anyway, etc. We saw Mom of the Year 2.0, bringing snacks and toys on a car trip.

You don’t have to stop for potty breaks if you never potty train your children! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

He's slated to speak at Big Sandy this week. Without Meech. It's all men except for the Bateses.

Big Sandy - in Texas? Speak? I take it Big Sandy is mostly outdoor and all will be masked 6 feet apart...

Meech not going?? why? surely its not because she needs to stay home and watch her kids.

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 6
(edited)
46 minutes ago, sATL said:

Big Sandy - in Texas? Speak? I take it Big Sandy is mostly outdoor and all will be masked 6 feet apart...

Meech not going?? why? surely its not because she needs to stay home and watch her kids.

Meech is going, just not on the speaking list. It's just Boob for some reason. 

They showed a picture of what looked like a small convention center. So, my guess is no social distancing and masks optional (meaning non-existent with these fools).

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, Angeltoes said:

I didn't watch this show when it first began so the old footage was fascinating to me.  I was agog that Michelle had absolutely no shame whatsoever when she said that a baby is only her buddy until it is weaned and then it moves to an older sister.  The selfishness of that is mind boggling.  

Right?! I expected the children to have an awakening when their own babies turned six months old and realize how callous their mother was. I don’t think that happened. 

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Right?! I expected the children to have an awakening when their own babies turned six months old and realize how callous their mother was. I don’t think that happened. 

I think it did happen for Jill and Jessa. Jill really seemed overwhelmed with Izzy although it may have been because they were in C.A.. Jessa I think noticed after Henry was born, although she would never admit it. She does a similar thing. Jessa goes to the TTH and lets her sisters help with her kids.

• Love 10

“Be surprised that Jim Bob is using a 10-year-old headshot. Find out how to hide your assets from the government. Learn how to avoid responsibility all together!”

• LOL 14
  • Love 9

I wonder if he actually discusses Josh during these talks.

One of us needs to go and have a listen. Anyone live nearby and brave enough to venture into what is probably a no-mask zone?

• LOL 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

One of us needs to go and have a listen. Anyone live nearby and brave enough to venture into what is probably a no-mask zone?

most church conventions normally sell internet download/CD/tapes of the speakers...along with their latest book...

Hopefully they have a sub-topic on being a grandparent... they have beat  the "19 children" child rearing to death and have been grands for what about 10 years now?

speaking of which... have they written a book lately?

image.png.956762d92c3078c1cc6c2c41ea53d194.png

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 5
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Here you go

Do not try to grift a subscription out of us, though!

• Useful 5
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Here you go

Do not try to grift a subscription out of us, though!

I can’t believe people actually pay to here these idiots speak. The first two videos are free if anyone fancies being bored to death, I played the video of Michelle speaking but I couldn’t listen to that baby voice for more than a few seconds, like nails on a chalkboard. 

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, FizzyPuff said:

I can’t believe people actually pay to here these idiots speak. The first two videos are free if anyone fancies being bored to death, I played the video of Michelle speaking but I couldn’t listen to that baby voice for more than a few seconds, like nails on a chalkboard. 

You think they’d just remove the one of the girls from 2014 talking about family relationships. Just feel free to wipe that one away. 

I also love how you have to have a paid subscription to hear Jim Bob speak about how to live debt-free. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

Hey TLC, new programming for you- "Desperate Patriarchy"(TM Churchhoney). Starring Jim Blob Duggar, David Waller, Lauren's father, another Duggar wife's father what's his name, the other Duggar in-law what's his name, that guy on the competing network "Nope" or is that "Up", that Duggar who got too up close and personal with his own sisters and someone else, and many many more. It's a winner.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, sATL said:

most church conventions normally sell internet download/CD/tapes of the speakers...along with their latest book...

Hopefully they have a sub-topic on being a grandparent... they have beat  the "19 children" child rearing to death and have been grands for what about 10 years now?

speaking of which... have they written a book lately?

image.png.956762d92c3078c1cc6c2c41ea53d194.png

Pretty sure the last printings of the books they've already written largely ended up in the remainder bin.

When you put that together with the fact that the publisher was probably sure these people wouldn't tell the truth about their lives for any price, I expect nobody offered them another contract. They were only interested in selling themselves and Gothardism as the bestest stuff ever. And that ship has sailed. 😈

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Hey TLC, new programming for you- "Desperate Patriarchy"(TM Churchhoney). Starring Jim Blob Duggar, David Waller, Lauren's father, another Duggar wife's father what's his name, the other Duggar in-law what's his name, that guy on the competing network "Nope" or is that "Up", that Duggar who got too up close and personal with his own sisters and someone else, and many many more. It's a winner.

I smell a series. Starting with "Desperate Patriarchs of Northwest Arkansas." 

And this is the one with the spinoff for Jer. Because 'Desperate Patriarchs of L.A." is already cast. They just need to start shooting before MacArthur goes on the ventilator. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Yea MacArthur will certainly need a ventilator as will our Jing and Pocketsquare boy. Hope the baby stays healthy but they are bone-stupid about this virus and their determination that Jesus will dominate the virus and it's a hoax anyway so what are you looking at you sinners.

• Love 8

I can't believe anyone actual thinks these shows are a ministry. I'm pretty sure the leghumpers have already been saved and the rest of us either hate-watch or live vicariously through the brave souls who do and then report back so we can snark.

• Love 23
On 7/21/2020 at 3:49 PM, Nysha said:

They're grown men sleeping in twin beds in the same room in their own house with 3 bedrooms?!? The Duggars have lived in their own little bubble so long they can't even fake normal for a few hours. 

I wonder if they have roommates that weren't mentioned. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I want to read a real book on Growing Up Duggar. A true autobiography. I can't decide if any of the Duggar children would really be honest though. Maybe Jill. But I think Jessa and Jinger would give the best accounts of what really went on if they decided to be completely honest about everything. Jana strikes me as still being completely brainwashed. 

Jessa is the most talented at putting on a good public show in front of the cameras, by far.

• Love 2

These Duggar boys are the most ignorant humans on the face of the earth..."it's hard to think so you can downsize recipes, you have to plan and shop for meals! "     Woe is me. We don't know what we are doing. Their mother was useless.

• Love 13
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes.

The no swimming thing is mind-boggling to me. I know that some people can't afford to take swimming lessons or have access to water, but these people have been rich for a long time. There was plenty of time to teach their kids after they started on the show.

Also Joy went ice-fishing with Austin when she was about 8 months pregnant with Gideon.  That she can't swim adds a whole layer to that idiocy!

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 16

I watched  this show from the beginning, but stopped watching a while ago.  When I turned it on recently, I was surprised to see Jim Bob front and center again.  When did that happen and why?  I thought no one really wanted to see him after his disgraceful handling of the molestation of his daughters.   How did he weasel his greedy self in again and why did the kids tolerate it?  You know he’s getting the largest share of the money.  What a horrid man. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

The no swimming thing is mind-boggling to me. I know that some people can't afford to take swimming lessons or have access to water, but these people have been rich for a long time. There was plenty of time to teach their kids after they started on the show.

Also Joy went ice-fishing with Austin when she was about 8 months pregnant with Gideon.  That she can't swim adds a whole layer to that idiocy!

It's mind-boggling to me that the middle kids were the ones screwed on swimming lessons. You'd think that at least by the time the Duggars started to have their show, they would help the middles learn to swim along with the youngers. Or, the oldest kids could have taught the middles.

• Love 5

When I turned it on recently, I was surprised to see Jim Bob front and center again.  When did that happen and why? 

There are people who want Jim Bob, Michelle, and even Josh back on the show. There are people who believe they have done nothing wrong, and that they've been unfairly targeted. A lot of those people post on Anna's Instagram and the Duggar Family instagram. These people have pushed to have them back on. Plus Jim Bob still really controls the show. 

With 19 kids, there are likely many things the Duggars were never taught by their parents. You can tell by the intelligence level of some of them 

These Duggar boys are the most ignorant humans on the face of the earth..."it's hard to think so you can downsize recipes, you have to plan and shop for meals! "     Woe is me. We don't know what we are doing. Their mother was useless.

And one of them is running for office. And in 2020, they're still pushing the same old sexist stereotypes. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

There are people who want Jim Bob, Michelle, and even Josh back on the show. There are people who believe they have done nothing wrong, and that they've been unfairly targeted. A lot of those people post on Anna's Instagram and the Duggar Family instagram. These people have pushed to have them back on. Plus Jim Bob still really controls the show. 

With 19 kids, there are likely many things the Duggars were never taught by their parents. You can tell by the intelligence level of some of them 

And one of them is running for office. And in 2020, they're still pushing the same old sexist stereotypes. 

I'm not surprised the leg humpers are pushing for JB & M to come back. But the only thing JB controls as far as the show is concerned,  is who of his minor children he allows to be filmed. TLC controls the show, 100%.

• Love 6