Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: A Duggar Bachelor Pad

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Way to kill my buzz!

angry jesus christ GIF

There's not a lot of new programming. NBC is trying to stretch out AGT as long as possible for instance. They did a "Best Of" compilation last night. I fully expect the "Vegas" cuts will last at least two weeks.

With travel restrictions, TLC is going to have a hell of a time with their cash cow 90 Day Fiance. I fully expect that they will try and churn out more Duggar content for the fall. COVID may give the Duggars yet another life if (Nielsen) people keep tuning in. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

There's not a lot of new programming. NBC is trying to stretch out AGT as long as possible for instance. They did a "Best Of" compilation last night. I fully expect the "Vegas" cuts will last at least two weeks.

With travel restrictions, TLC is going to have a hell of a time with their cash cow 90 Day Fiance. I fully expect that they will try and churn out more Duggar content for the fall. COVID may give the Duggars yet another life if (Nielsen) people keep tuning in. 

Maybe they could just show the whole Duggar saga again from the beginning. Stick a blue dot over Joshley's face and change up his voice so his words can't be understood and call that living up to the letter of what they said they'd do. 

Would be surprised if it hasn't crossed somebody's mind. ... Hey, maybe we can get a whole new generation hooked on this cheap, boring show! It worked before!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I caved and decided to watch this shitshow because of the bachelor pad. I'm a few minutes in and Ben intensely staring at Jessa while she yammers reminds me of how the Duggar women usually stare at their overlord husbands, and it's seriously creeping me out. 

And hold the fucking phone, jessa's discovered that snacks work on a road trip with kids. And she says it in the most condescending way possible for all you little people out there who wouldn't think about taking snacks with you. I wish I had some alcohol to see me through the rest of this episode. 

Well, as I just said on another thread, Jessa is one of the most humorless people on the planet. And she is quite in love with her intelligence, which is average at best, but among the top in a group of intellectual duds.

• Love 19
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Well, as I just said on another thread, Jessa is one of the most humorless people on the planet. And she is quite in love with her intelligence, which is average at best, but among the top in a group of intellectual duds.

I don't think I could handle being trapped in a room with Jessa.

On a side note, I'm now obsessed with the facial expressions they make while staring intently at each other. Michelle's are hilariously vacant. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, latetotheparty said:

Just the episode title fave mea gagging eye roll. These people are NOT NORMAL.

I think the twin beds in one bedroom for the adult "both twins" is proof of that.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7

We're finally to the bachelor pad, and I am feeling so much secondhand embarrassment for these 2 idiots. I did notice Sinner Twin almost seemed to be suppressing a smirk or something while his more pompous twin--DID YOU KNOW THEY WERE BOTH TWINS?--said all the older kids had a choice about moving out. He knows his brother is full of shit. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 17
40 minutes ago, Zella said:

And hold the fucking phone, jessa's discovered that snacks work on a road trip with kids. And she says it in the most condescending way possible for all you little people out there who wouldn't think about taking snacks with you. I wish I had some alcohol to see me through the rest of this episode. 

Don't forget wrapping up little toys.  She doesn't even bother going to get new ones.  She wrapped their already existing toys in multiple layers to make them take more time to get to them and frustrated poor Henry.

• Love 5

I survived! That pointless corn maze challenge was like a symbol of the meaninglessness of the entire episode. I noticed the previews for the next episode also involved a challenge/race. Is this how the producers try to add any sense of pacing or suspense to these episodes, to trick viewers into thinking something happened? I felt like the pacing was the TV equivalent of a bowel blockage. 

7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Don't forget wrapping up little toys.  She doesn't even bother going to get new ones.  She wrapped their already existing toys in multiple layers to make them take more time to get to them and frustrated poor Henry.

Yes that was cheap and mean and dumb. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 7

We've seen Spurge and Henry staring intently at Jessa's phone before. I'm guessing she intentionally didn't film the boys using her and Ben's phones to entertain themselves on this trip. You know, because playing with a toy car while strapped in a car seat is so much fun.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't think I could handle being trapped in a room with Jessa.

On a side note, I'm now obsessed with the facial expressions they make while staring intently at each other. Michelle's are hilariously vacant. 

I expect it should come with a screen warning: Watching more than 5 minutes of this program puts you at risk of mass brain-cell death. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if TLC starts showing "Counting On Counts Back" (or some other gimmicky title), which would be solely old episodes with current day talking heads interspersed. They can easily skip Josh heavy episodes or edit around him.

I'm more surprised it's taken them this long to even attempt it.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

She's such a nasty bitch.

7 hours ago, Zella said:

I survived! That pointless corn maze challenge was like a symbol of the meaninglessness of the entire episode. I noticed the previews for the next episode also involved a challenge/race. Is this how the producers try to add any sense of pacing or suspense to these episodes, to trick viewers into thinking something happened? I felt like the pacing was the TV equivalent of a bowel blockage. 

I think there's more wit in your four lines of commentary than was on display in the entire episode. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

She wrapped their already existing toys in multiple layers to make them take more time to get to them and frustrated poor Henry.

I'm not going to knock the original concept of this though.  My mother did this with my siblings when they were Spurge and Hen's age.  She wrapped some of their lesser-played with toys in newspapers and told them they were pretending it was Christmas.  My brother and sister just loved it.  I doubt she did excessive wrapping however.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if TLC starts showing "Counting On Counts Back" (or some other gimmicky title), which would be solely old episodes with current day talking heads interspersed. They can easily skip Josh heavy episodes or edit around him.

Oh imagine the fit Derick would have if they aired the Dullards' wedding again. Just CGI out Josh. 

I'm here for it!

• LOL 9
Just now, PikaScrewChu said:

Oh imagine the fit Derick would have if they aired the Dullards' wedding again. Just CGI out Josh. 

I'm here for it!

Oh my. Derick's fingers would be on the keyboard a mile a minute. It might even compel him to do an interview, with a live person who could force real answers. 2020 has been a shit show, come TLC - lets go.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I think that is what I saw on this past Tuesday... I am not even sure how it got to the flashback show - as I thought the previous scene was soething current.. DVR must have did something... or a storm came through.. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my. Derick's fingers would be on the keyboard a mile a minute. It might even compel him to do an interview, with a live person who could force real answers. 2020 has been a shit show, come TLC - lets go.

Let's gooooooooooo!

US Weekly pays for almost anything!

I wouldn't be surprised to see retrospectives though on each of the couples (minus the Smuggars). TLC has done it for filler content on other shows. If they did one for the Dillards without Derick's permission, oh boy! I'm here for it!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Let's gooooooooooo!

US Weekly pays for almost anything!

I wouldn't be surprised to see retrospectives though on each of the couples (minus the Smuggars). TLC has done it for filler content on other shows. If they did one for the Dillards without Derick's permission, oh boy! I'm here for it!

Even if they did a wedding retrospective and included the Dillard wedding. Or births and included Izzy.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Even if they did a wedding retrospective and included the Dillard wedding. Or births and included Izzy.

You realize we're giving TLC ideas here right? They should be paying us to make this show more interesting. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
(edited)
26 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

You realize we're giving TLC ideas here right? They should be paying us to make this show more interesting. 

I've said it since Joshgate played out: TLC's bean counters must be gnashing their teeth over all that 19K&C footage in their vaults, that was rendered unusable by Josh's scandals. It's just free money if they can rerun those old shows ad nauseum, and rake in some revenue from commercials. But the Sexpest turned that pile of gold into dirt. 

It wouldn't surprise me if somebody has run the numbers, and in this time when the pandemic has slammed the industry so hard, decided that it's worth it to spend some time and money pulling out scenes to repackage into "new" "retrospective" episodes. We've seen it on other shows on other networks ("Restored" on DIY comes to mind). 

ETA: Don't forget that as others have pointed out here, TLC owns all that footage; nobody on reality TV gets residual payments when their episodes are re-run. TLC owns that footage 101%, so its only costs of reusing it will be the editing and production involved in repackaging it. JB gets nary a dime nor a chance to consent or object. Heh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Zella said:

We're finally to the bachelor pad, and I am feeling so much secondhand embarrassment for these 2 idiots. I did notice Sinner Twin almost seemed to be suppressing a smirk or something while his more pompous twin--DID YOU KNOW THEY WERE BOTH TWINS?--said all the older kids had a choice about moving out. He knows his brother is full of shit. 

I loved Sinner Twin's barely-suppressed smirk at his chucklefuck twin. 

2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I see what you did there. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I've said it since Joshgate played out: TLC's bean counters must be gnashing their teeth over all that 19K&C footage in their vaults, that was rendered unusable by Josh's scandals. It's just free money if they can rerun those old shows ad nauseum, and rake in some revenue from commercials. But the Sexpest turned that pile of gold into dirt. 

It wouldn't surprise me if somebody has run the numbers, and in this time when the pandemic has slammed the industry so hard, decided that it's worth it to spend some time and money pulling out scenes to repackage into "new" "retrospective" episodes. We've seen it on other shows on other networks ("Restored" on DIY comes to mind). 

ETA: Don't forget that as others have pointed out here, TLC owns all that footage; nobody on reality TV gets residual payments when their episodes are re-run. TLC owns that footage 101%, so its only costs of reusing it will be the editing and production involved in repackaging it. JB gets nary a dime nor a chance to consent or object. Heh.

I mean, they could just recast Josh. There's definitely an eldest child. Mmmmhmmm... Totally not Josh. It's Jesse!

Splice in some talking heads, do some creative editing. Not like the Godly people who watch this show will notice. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Zella: Hi

Jessa: Hi

Z:

J:

Z: So how are you managing in this hot weather?

J: I have 3 blessings. I discovered this mom hack. Have kids eat watermelon in their kiddie pool.

Z: Oh, do you ...

J: I delivered my kids at home, on a couch. How may kids do you have?

Z: None, just me and my ...

J: None? Why? I know this mom hack to get pregnant.

Z: Bye

OMG I'm dying laughing! 😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

She's such a nasty bitch.

I think there's more wit in your four lines of commentary than was on display in the entire episode. 

Thank you! 🙂

I seriously wonder about the producers. They have to know how bland and boring this is and how weird the family is. I've only ever seen two episodes, but I have a hard time believing the show isn't poking fun at the family and them being too oblivious for the most part to pick up on it. Does some snarky cynic sit around editing footage, thinking "Include as many lines about the Big House as possible hehe"? Or does some disaffected English major who is the producer think "Samuel Beckett gave us Waiting for Godot. Duggars, you don't know who that is, but I give you Existential Corn Maze"? 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And let’s be honest. Just sharing a room doesn’t really stop any normal red-blooded 21-year old boy with raging hormones. 

They can pleasure themselves anywhere else in the house. Hopefully not with each other or in the kitchen. 

• LOL 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

For a little background, I had never watched a Duggars show until maybe 8-9 months ago, when I stumbled upon an episode while bored.  Then I came to this forum to read everyone's thoughts about these folks (which I do whenever I find a new show).  I found all of your posts so witty and intellectually stimulating that I dove in head-first and read just about everything in this forum.  I have spent more time reading here than all of my Duggar watching combined.  So this is my first season of real-time watching.

All that to say, sheepishly, that I have enjoyed the current season so far (and not just for snark value).   For example, I liked seeing the different teams run through the corn maze.  And I like John-David's dry, deadpan delivery of every line.  I hope it's just for the show, and that he's not that flat in real life.

Granted, I have been alone for 4 straight months now, for the most part.  But I think because I haven't spent a lot of time with the Duggars, maybe my tolerance hasn't been worn to the bone yet.  *I do find Jinger's LA story-line as dull as dishwater, though.

Phew!  I had to confess that.  But you lovely people are my forum friends, and I know you won't judge me too harshly!!!!

God forgive me, but I did smirk a little at some of Austin's intentionally bitchy comments about the corn maze. 🤣 And I found Sinner Twin mildly amusing. The fact he was paired with the black hole of charisma that is Jed! probably helped make him look like a raconteur by comparison but still. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

God forgive me, but I did smirk a little at some of Austin's intentionally bitchy comments about the corn maze. 🤣 And I found Sinner Twin mildly amusing. The fact he was paired with the black hole of charisma that is Jed! probably helped make him look like a raconteur by comparison but still. 

Austin is so deliciously bitchy sometimes. I remember his comment a while back about doubting any of the Ds would know who some celebrity was or something along those lines. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Splice in some talking heads, do some creative editing. Not like the Godly people who watch this show will notice. 

6 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I can see TLC doing this, except the interesting and creative parts. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The same with this show. TLC can't figure out creative ways to make them interesting when they're shooting the show. I have no faith in their ability to splice together anything better than the current season.

OTOH, if they gave us the raw footage for the first year I bet we could splice it together to make it interesting, especially if we add our own commentary to it as it airs.

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I forgot about Austin!  He was my favorite in this episode.  And Joy seemed like a delight.  I think I like her.

I know it's right or fair, but I have some kind of aversion to Josie.  There's something about her that unsettles me.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would like to like Austin and Joy - I agree that they look like they like and love each other, but, they would judge me, being Jewish and having a gay son.  So that negates any of my liking them.

Those two spent part of their honeymoon trying to convert Israeli Jews. There is nothing they can do that will make me tolerate them, let alone like them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
21 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

. Stick a blue dot over Joshley's face and change up his voice so his words can't be understood

Put up a picture of Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch over him and give him the Charlie Brown teacher voice. 

• LOL 16

I can never fully snark on Jessa and Ben, because their kids are a delight. They seem so happy and even thankful, kind, protective of one another, well spoken (in Spurgeon’s case), and cooperative. I may roll my eyes at Amazing Grace being their road trip song of choice, but if that’s making them happy and creating a memory that Spurgeon happily recalls in his talking head, more power to them. I do hope they stop having kids soon. Spurgeon seems naturally helpful, good natured, and sensible. A lot of pressure will end up being put on him as the oldest if Jessa and Ben are planning on being Boob and J’chelle 2.0.

• Love 18
(edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 4:36 AM, Jenniferbug said:

Counting Backwards?  🤣🤣  That works on multiple levels!

Edited by tvisme
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3