Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: The Best Mistake Of My Life

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

I actually enjoyed the scene of Libby’s father and brother in the car as they left the airport asking questions.  I can’t believe Libby hasn’t inquired more into why A left his homeland. 

I would stake my life on the fact that she knows all about why Andrrrrei left his homeland. 

And I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I highly suspect that her family knows much more than they're letting on.

"There are only departures here, no arrivals!"

I thought he said there are more departures than arrivals.  Which also didn't make sense.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I would stake my life on the fact that she knows all about why Andrrrrei left his homeland. 

And I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I highly suspect that her family knows much more than they're letting on.

I thought he said there are more departures than arrivals.  Which also didn't make sense.

The lame joke could have meant to suggest that many people were emigrating.

• Love 4
On 7/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, zenme said:

t's all relative.  I'd have a hard time adjusting to life at Angela's crib.  Someone needs to tell her she's not exactly Martha Stewart.  If I were her I'd make hamburgers, hot dogs,  and pasta salad and tell her we were having a good old American cookout.  I agree with her that she shouldn't have to cook a Nigerian meal.  Michael got in trouble for that, and rightfully so,  but she forgets that Michael is not an American man.  I think they need to visit a counselor and discuss the differences in cultures, and how they're gonna address those in their households.  As a matter of fact, all these couples need to have that discussion.

First off, I doubt hamburgers, hot dogs and pasta are readily available in Nigeria. And it's really just all about being accommodating and flexible. Neither of which describes Angela. She is gonna dig in  any chance she gets- making Michael cook (note your comment that he is "not an American man"), screaming at the sight of an outdoor Nigerian market (as if she hasn't been there several times already and likely exposed to it). So to expect her to entertain the idea of maybe learning about a Nigerian dish (for Mama's sake, one time) is out of the question. For that matter, expecting her to cook at all is out of the question. As she said, "I ain't got time to do no cookin'."

As for seeing a counselor, I am laughing at that. No one is proactive at all in these shows; it's not about "how can we make things work," but rather "I'm a-gonna drag this person to my country and make them adapt, dammit!"

I had to laugh at the shirts Angie and Michael were wearing. Hers said "FLAWLESS" and his said "DRY". If someone can explain this, please do.

I was getting a glimmer of hope with Chuck- just a teensy twinge- when he praised Andréi's parents for the lovely spread and their hospitality. But alas, once he and his bonehead son opened their mouths at dinner that hope flickered out.  "Here is this lovingly prepared wine we have made for 3 generations in our family, for you- our honored guest! And we would like for you to help us make wine !"  Charlie: "Do I gotta stomp on the grapes?"  They were all incredibly sweet and wonderful hosts.  Libby showed her bitch side when, even after Andréi reminded her that his staying home was their agreement, she said "I can change my mind."  Uggh.

Continuing in the wardrobe choices this week: Asuelu sported a lovely pink zip sweatshirt that looked like it was stolen from Kalani's closet, Oliver looked like he might be progressing from PJ pants to leggings, and Kalani continues to barely contain her boobs from jumping at the camera.  Next week, we see that their children continue to wail inconsolably on long car trips and said trips continue to make Asuelu swear.

Debbie really said, "I'm going to do everything in my power to keep Colt from marrying Jessica." Yikes. Do we think it's maybe that she needs to hang onto him to pay half the mortgage? And when, oh when is she going to see a dermatologist to cut that scary thing off her face?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 7/27/2020 at 8:17 AM, ErikaOnline said:

Libby’s dad and brother seem intimidating.

I think they *wish* they were intimidating; to me, they just come off as ignorant, arrogant, pushy assholes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 7/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, jacksgirl said:

Larissa knows the word pejorative? I call Shenanigans!

I thought it was weird too, so I Google translated. Turns out it’s a cognate, and in Portuguese it’s pejorativa/o. 

Now I have to decide if I think Larissa’s even smart enough to know that word in her first language. Hmmm...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was researching Christian healthshare programs as an alternative to traditional medical insurance, and found a provision in one that for a woman's hysterectomy to be considered for sharing (reimbursed) she had to get a second opinion from a physician authorized by the healthshare ministry.  Not a single other procedure required that.

So just for reference those Christian healthshare programs are about the closest thing you can get to a legal scam, people pay into them for years, thousands and thousands of dollars and there is absolutely no guarantee of any coverage, some of them seem down right sadistic. Oh, cancer? I feel for you but we talked to your pastor and he says you haven't been to church as often as you should and you didn't buy a cookie at the bake sale, maybe if you had been more godly we could help out financially, but we will sure pray for you! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 7/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

And I believe there's no major reason for leaving.  But it makes for some drama.

When he said more departures than arrivals he meant:  No one wants to be in Moldova.  Another dig at Andrei's homeland.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, KateHearts said:

First off, I doubt hamburgers, hot dogs and pasta are readily available in Nigeria. And it's really just all about being accommodating and flexible. Neither of which describes Angela. She is gonna dig in  any chance she gets- making Michael cook (note your comment that he is "not an American man"), screaming at the sight of an outdoor Nigerian market (as if she hasn't been there several times already and likely exposed to it). So to expect her to entertain the idea of maybe learning about a Nigerian dish (for Mama's sake, one time) is out of the question. For that matter, expecting her to cook at all is out of the questio said, "I ain't got time to do no cookin'."

There's quite a few hamburger places, hot dog stands and pasta places in Lagos.    It's actually a very big city.  There's even a pizza hut!!  I'm assuming that MIchael lives in a suburb but it wouldn't be too hard for them to find Amercian-style food.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 2

My review of S5 E7:

Elizabeth and Andrrrrrrei: Elizabeth’s dad and brother were completely ignorant when they got in Moldova. Chuck wearing that USA hat really annoyed me. When they got to the dinner, my mouth was watering over that food. It was soooo good, I wanted a taste of it! But when the family sat down and started interrogating Andrei it was just all drama again. Honestly, the Family Potthast has never liked Andrei, so they’re just trying to find reasons to dislike him even more. And I TRULY dislike Andrei, when he said to Libby, “Hormones or she’s just being dumb,” it really turned me off. I don’t feel sorry for Libby because she allows him to treat her like trash.

Coltee, Jessee and Debbieee: Sure, Debbie is a manipulator and will not allow Colt to love anyone else but her, but my goodness, what Jess said at the dinner was truly disrespectful. I would not want my significant other to speak to my own mother like Jess did to Debbie. But still, Debbie is a Debbie Downer. 

Fast forward to the beach scene, was it even necessary for TLC to show us Colt in a speedo? My eyes! 🤮🤮🤮 Also, Jess is sickening, too. (To quote: “Colt make me want to have sex all the time!” *maniacal laugh*). I don’t know why Jess would be attracted to - or even want to have sex with - the creepiest, most disgusting male on TLC.

Larissa-ee: I don’t think it was necessary for Larissa to break into Eric’s phone like that, but based on what she found, I would’ve been suspicious and done the same thing, too. I mean, why did she even move back with Eric? Is she that desperate to be with a man? I think she needs to go back to Brazil and raise her kids, and once her kids are all grown up, then she can pursue the dream of coming here to America.

Angela & Mykul: Man, Angela was just over the top with the vomiting, puking, and repeatedly saying out loud, “I’M AMERICAN!” in Nigeria. I think it could’ve been nice for Angela to cook a traditional American meal for Michael’s family, or for Michael to teach Angela to cook a Nigerian meal, or for them to cook together. But she didn’t do that at all. Instead, she just laughed at Michael cooking right in front of his family. And then she made his family eat pizza. No wonder his family is concerned about Michael going to America. She is such an abusive woman, and she just wants a younger man that she can easily control. 

Kalani and Asuelu The Man-Child: Asuelu’s apology was that of a seven-year old. And I wanted to slap his family in the face when they asked him for a huge amount of money. Honestly, they think Asuelu is rich like that just because he’s on TV. He can’t afford to give his family THAT much money, he works as a yogurt vendor at a grocery store. And plus, even though their tradition is to take care of the family, his family is basically Kalani and her two kids.

Paul and Karine: Honestly, compared to the other houses Paul showed Karine, I think that new house was beautiful. So the only thing left for Paul to do is to get a job. And since he’s a felon, can he get one?

• Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 9:20 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I actually enjoyed the scene of Libby’s father and brother in the car as they left the airport asking questions.  I can’t believe Libby hasn’t inquired more into why A left his homeland. 

I can't understand why Libby was interested in looking for love in far-off places with a foreign national. 

She's easy on the eyes, doesn't seem to have any significant clinical mental health issues (LOLOLOL), has a lovely figure and comes from an intact family who are well off financially.  She also has some ability to earn a living working for her father.

Why would she have to go across the world to find some guy who's on some "power trip," definitely has a questionable past, refuses to work, doesn't seem to have any exemplary personality traits, no higher education or professional standing (not that I'm denigrated truck drivers whom I believe do a fabulous job especially in these times), and is borderline(or directly) abusive to her. 

My remarks are accentuated by my wandering thoughts of what would happen if the marriage failed and Andreeee would see some financial leverage in seeking spousal support from her (read that, her father) so he could be in his beautiful child's life at a price.

Am I missing something?  I'm confused.

• Love 1

Paul was talking to his mother, and saying no one will hire him because of his criminal history (I don't know if it was this episode or the previous one).   

He has a history of stalking, arson, and other charges that would make him a liability to any employer.  Look at how his own mother won't let him in her house, and that tells you a lot.    Someday, Paul will go after a woman with protective friends or relatives, and he will be gone.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

He has a history of stalking, arson, and other charges that would make him a liability to any employer. 

OMG!  I forgot about his criminal history.  I can tell you unequivocally and categorically (having had a LONG career in the criminal justice system) that ARSON is a major red flag to employers. 

I will also say that in these times, the first thing employers usually do is a criminal background check of prospective employees.  Paul's employment prospects are very slim to none. 

HMMMM, I see Karine hightailing it back to Brazil with their baby pronto. 

Maybe Paul could get employment in Brazil; however, criminal background checks are available internationally with proper access.

• Love 1

He said he tried for 18 months to get a job in Brazil, but he never learned any Portuguese.     I'm guessing that Paul won't be going back to Brazil, if Karine's father has anything to do with it (he's retired law enforcement).     Paul's criminal record is rather extensive, and the Brazilian authorities know about it, (they called arson 'terroristic acts' or something like that), and he barely got a visa to stay the last time, and he was already married to Karine.  

I'm wondering when Karine actually knew the extent of Paul's crimes?    I saw a lot come out on The Other Way season, when she was already pregnant with Pierre.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

He said he tried for 18 months to get a job in Brazil, but he never learned any Portuguese.     I'm guessing that Paul won't be going back to Brazil, if Karine's father has anything to do with it (he's retired law enforcement).     Paul's criminal record is rather extensive, and the Brazilian authorities know about it, (they called arson 'terroristic acts' or something like that), and he barely got a visa to stay the last time, and he was already married to Karine.  

Yes, I would agree with the arson="terroristic acts" category that the Brazilians placed his charges at in their system. 

I really don't know what to say because she chose to become involved with him and have a child with him with all this knowledge under her belt and with the permission of her family. 

My heart goes out to the innocent baby boy who will grow up and certainly inquire about his American father's background.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

(they called arson 'terroristic acts' or something like that)

This is one of my favorite things about Pole. He got that letter, squinted his beady little eyes at it, and was aghast! "Terroristic acts! What do they know? That's ridiculous! TERRORISM?!?!? All I did was stalk a woman and burn down my own property, how is THAT like 9/11?" 

Fucking moron. #freeKarineee

• Love 3

Angela lighting up a cigarette while on a video call with her doctor discussing whether she has cancer is the best thing ever. 

Larissa needs to get deported so she can go back to Brazil and parent her own kids.

There's a whole back story to Paul that we are not getting. There's more to the arson thing than we know, and he must have put his mother through some serious shit for even her to call him a deadbeat and LOCK him out of her house. 

• Love 3