Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Beverly Hills Duggars

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jana and Jinger hit up Beverly Hills for some shopping but quickly get some sticker shock when Jinger falls in love with a pricey jacket; in Arkansas, the girls enjoy a mom's day in.

Airs July 14, 2020

I guess this is when Jinger buys the $300 jacket. Did TLC comp it? Probably.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Oh, it was most definitely a bragging moment. The jacket was nothing spectacular, and Jinger showing off like she's some sophisticated Beverly Hills maven was ridiculous considering her hair looks like a $12 Frost'N'Glo dye job. Get over yourself, Jinger. 

She probably returned it after Jana fled LA.

• LOL 16
2 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

https://people.com/style/watch-jana-and-jinger-duggar-go-shopping-on-rodeo-drive/

They say it was the boutique in Pretty Woman. Isn't it a sin to be in a store associated with a hooker movie?

I posted this in the JinJer thread last night, not knowing that it would be featured in tonight's episode. 

Love Boob saying he doesn't deess to impress juxtaposed with Jessa spraying him with clouds of hairspray. 😂

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

While on their Rodeo Drive shopping tour, I found Jana to be down to earth and “kept it real.” I thought she was a good sport in trying clothes on and looking at different styles.

I actually thought the boho style dress looked good on Jinger, but she purchased the jacket Jeremy would like instead.

• Love 5
(edited)

Obviously it was all a set up, comped by TLC etc. bc that boutique got its name shown lots of times on the show and it was set up so that a camera crew came in and no other customers were there -- yet it's sad that they grew up soooo repressed and backwater that they think spending $300 on Rodeo Drive is sooooo much. Like they didn't even realize that when you walked around the whole store exclaiming every single thing was cute, then there's two of you trying on 30 items each with a sales person totally waiting on you hand and foot and finding you items based on what you say you like, yeah on Rodeo Drive you are EXPECTED to spend more than $300; more like $3000 or at least $1000. The way to avoid this -- walk in, look around and say you're just browsing, DON'T exclaim how cute everything is so that they don't start pushing you to try stuff, when they aren't looking quietly look at the price tags, and then casually say thanks and leave -- so that they assume that they are way out of your price range or totally not your style. Once you engage the sales person in a boutique like that, prepare to spend.

And Jana looked SHOCKED when the lady handed her a tank top even though it came with a sweater to cover up. It's like the look you get when you go to the dr for the first time as a grown up/semi grown up and they hand you a gown and you're thinking holy $hit I have to get naked!?

But with all that said, I will say it looks like Jinger's smile reaches her eyes. She DOES seem happy overall with her life. Even in the way she talked about the clothes she had enthusiasm about what she liked or not, while Jana was her usual -- polite, reserved, sure we'll go shopping bc it's a sister activity, but my day to day life is so blah that I can't even get enthused by being in LA for a few days; she genuinely seems sad/depressed to me now, and I felt bad for her. Jinger has made out well in life. Religious fundie husband but doesn't seem batshit crazy, seems to at least help with or be involved with the kid, and has provided her with a life that made her dream of living in a city come true. She got to leave rural America for 2.5 years in Laredo and even if it doesn't last forever I think she'll always look back to the 1+ year that she's already gotten in LA in a really nice house.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 3
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, BigBingerBro said:

Now that's a contradiction in terms right there!

The bar is low but he doesn't strike me as being gross like Josh Duggar or a high school boy like Ben or standoffish and rude like Nathan Bates - good luck to whoever is courting that. Sure the religious beliefs are crazy, but I think it helps that he has experienced some regular life -- college, pro sports, living abroad, having friends that aren't just siblings, having friends of different ethnicity, living in various cities in the US, growing up like 1-2 siblings not 20 etc.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anna has popped up in various episodes since Joshgate. Hell, they showed her sleeping in the girls' dorm way back when. Her appearance here is nothing new. 

I was surprised to see Joy. I thought. I read that she and Austin quit the show. Guess not.

And Miss Teresa Fedosky! Shocked that TLC would allow that charlatan back on air.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

She probably returned it after Jana fled LA.

Actually she didn't. She wore that jacket and the skirt last spring/winter. I remember both articles of clothing being wore in her Instagram.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Anna has popped up in various episodes since Joshgate. Hell, they showed her sleeping in the girls' dorm way back when. Her appearance here is nothing new. 

I was surprised to see Joy. I thought tread that she and Austin quit the show. Guess not.

And Miss Teresa Fedosky! Shocked that TLC would allow that charlatan back on air.

Nope Joy never quite the show. 

And Teresa got a new midwife license in 2019. (Source: FJ/Reddit.)  

"Teresa Fedosky is a newly minted certified professional midwife in the state of Arkansas (also known as a licensed lay midwife) as of 2019."

There is a whole Reddit thread on her. 

Stay clear of those Duggar girls, if you want to keep your license, Teresa! 

• Useful 3
(edited)

Jinger got a $300 jacket and Jana got nothing?  C'mon TLC.  You're better than that!

Of course TLC paid for it or the store comped it for the publicity!

Either way Jana should have gotten something!!!!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought the Beverly Hills shopping trip was fun. Jinger didn’t seem to be bragging to me. Just a little adventure. Jana seemed wound up so tight. She could use some fun. I actually felt for her. WHY is her hair so dark? WHY are her clothes so loose? Man, I wish she could find life away from JB and M.  Jana appeared visibly sad, imo.

I hate the dark hair on Jana.  It ages her and makes her look more unattractive than she really is.  JMHO

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Jinger got a $300 jacket and Jana got nothing?  C'mon TLC.  You're better than that!

Of course TLC paid for it or the store comped it for the publicity!

Either way Jana should have gotten something!!!!

I can totally see TLC giving them $100 each and Jana giving Jinger her share. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, zenme said:

I can totally see TLC giving them $100 each and Jana giving Jinger her share. 

that's 200 bucks and the jacket was 300 bucks.

Jana grew up her whole life buying cheap clothing or from thrift stores. Probably she didn't feel comfortable spending that much money.  Their beliefs about money and lifestyle connect and are part of their religious beliefs. Or Jana just thinks spending that much money on clothing is wasteful. Or dumb.

Jinger also got the leopard print skirt, because I remember her wearing it at some point (in Instagram posts). It's possible Jana got something that we didn't see. 

• Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Jana grew up her whole life buying cheap clothing or from thrift stores. Probably she didn't feel comfortable spending that much money.  Their beliefs about money and lifestyle connect and are part of their religious beliefs. Or Jana just thinks spending that much money on clothing is wasteful. Or dumb.

Jinger also got the leopard print skirt, because I remember her wearing it at some point (in Instagram posts). It's possible Jana got something that we didn't see. 

They sure don’t seem to have problems with wasting money on Starbucks or iphones.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yeah. I know it was $300. That wasn’t my real point. My point was as Sew Sumi gathered. “Like the jewelry box.” She may have given whatever her nominal amount was to Jinger, either because she didn’t care to purchase anything, or because she just wanted to give to her sister that did. I’ve never seen her be catty or cruel, so I’m assuming she’s nice like that.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 7

I doubt if TLC paid for the blazer they would have kept mentioning it in the talking heads, looking for a response. I didn't care for the dress Jinger had on, but if you watch the exchange between her and the employee of the shop when they first got there, it seems the dress is a well known name brand and/or Jinger bought the dress there at a previous time.

I'm confused. I watched the last few minutes of the last show. When they were driving to LA from Laredo, they stopped in Vegas. Jinger's hair was already blonde. I thought she dyed it after moving to LA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm confused. I watched the last few minutes of the last show. When they were driving to LA from Laredo, they stopped in Vegas. Jinger's hair was already blonde. I thought she dyed it after moving to LA.

She dyed it the first time just before they left Laredo -- "for the summer." That seems to have been in May or June of last year, but they didn't leave for LA permanently (they'd visited before) until July. People wrote about it here. https://people.com/style/jinger-duggar-goes-blonde-for-summer-photos/     The first two pictures of her as a blonde are in the article. 

And I remember the first pictures of her being blonde. It was supposed to be some big surprise reveal. They were still in Laredo (although on the verge of leaving) when the bayalage controversy started -- 

'Just ahead of summertime, the 25-year-old Counting On star debuted a brighter and lighter hairdo on Thursday, when she revealed that she had gone blonde.

'In a series of two snaps posted to Instagram, Jinger showed off her new ‘do, which was styled in long waves.

'“Decided to go with the blonde balayage this Summer ☺️” she captioned the smiling photos, which were captured in Laredo, Texas.'

image.thumb.png.592c6ad0a094e751dc72649a37dd1c3b.png

(I thought she was trying to compete with Gabby (because....Jer....))

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

So did Jinger, and yet she was not as uncomfortable about it. I think it's because she is married to Jeremy. 

I did like the black cardigan/tank top combo on Jana though. 

• Love 1

Jana appeared uncomfortable and I don't think it was just because they were in a clothing boutique. She just seems sad. It seems like she used to be more animated and upbeat.  I wonder if she's just been pushed down for so long that she feels and acts like a senior.   

• Love 7

I think Jana's birth order of being 1st born daughter colors her personality.  She was tasked with basically being the task master at a young age..so she never got to be a kid, or have fun.

If you look at Jill, Jessa, and Jinger...they all seem to have happiness in their eyes that we never see with Jana.  

I did like the reactions of everyone when they were told of the jacket costing $300.  Jessa had the most logical response saying if you keep and wear for a long period of time than it's a worthwhile investment.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I don’t think Jana has ever liked the spotlight or attention. She also said she doesn’t spend that much in clothes, so I don’t imagine she’d be comfortable trying on clothing at an upscale boutique, especially if she knew she wasn’t going to buy. 
I like Jana. I’ve always thought she was sweet. 

• Love 11

I've not seen the episode, but I always thought Jana was an introvert (said as a fellow introvert), and it's possible she just had reached her point of maximum social interaction for the day. I also never got the impression Jinger and Jana were close, so it might have just felt like another damn chore rather than a fun outing, especially while being filmed. 

• Love 17
(edited)

I recall episodes with Jana when she was running around, joking, delegating, decorating, etc. She seemed to be enjoying her activities. One time she was actually a volunteer first responder, right,   plus she was  helping with events, traveling, etc.  I would imagine that she did miss her Grandmother.  But, she wasn't living with them at the time of her death, was she? 

I had to change the channel when they men did the facial solutions.  Not very interesting to me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I recall episodes with Jana when she was running around, joking, delegating, decorating, etc. She seemed to be enjoying her activities. One time she was actually a volunteer first responder, right,   plus she was  helping with events, traveling, etc.  I would imagine that she did miss her Grandmother.  But, she wasn't living with them at the time of her death, was she? 

I had to change the channel when they men did the facial solutions.  Not very interesting to me. 

I think Jana just likes to be in her zone and needs to have some control over the space around her.  She gets to be in charge of the home projects and gardening. She shuts down when she's challenged or uncomfortable.  She isn't rude but doesn't try to pretend to be upbeat. Jana probably knew the Rodeo Drive shopping trip was designed by the producers to make her look like a duck out of water. Jana also got to play the part of the frugal daughter. It makes one part of the viewing public happy that Jana is sticking true to JB and Michelle's teachings while another part of the audience is happy Jinger gets to spread her wings.   

Jana wrote that she took Grandma Mary to church the morning of her death.  I thought that Mary was living in the pool house that Derick and Jill stayed so she wasn't too far away and still part of their lives nearly every day. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

I think Jana just likes to be in her zone and needs to have some control over the space around her.  She gets to be in charge of the home projects and gardening. She shuts down when she's challenged or uncomfortable.  She isn't rude but doesn't try to pretend to be upbeat. Jana probably knew the Rodeo Drive shopping trip was designed by the producers to make her look like a duck out of water. Jana also got to play the part of the frugal daughter. It makes one part of the viewing public happy that Jana is sticking true to JB and Michelle's teachings while another part of the audience is happy Jinger gets to spread her wings.   

Jana wrote that she took Grandma Mary to church the morning of her death.  I thought that Mary was living in the pool house that Derick and Jill stayed so she wasn't too far away and still part of their lives nearly every day. 

To Jana, getting married must feel like giving up a job of 30 years. It’s like, what do you do when you hit retirement?  Become a Walmart greeter, a crossing guard? Sit at home and wait to die? Her parents did a great job of brainwashing any other thoughts out of her head, and there are no thoughts and feelings of her own to fall back on, as well as life experience.  All that is left is sucking the personality out of a cup of coffee and Joanna Gaines. It’s sad.

• Love 3

I’m watching now, and I laughed when Jinger said, “I try to dress classy.” I kind of interpreted that as, “I try to dress how I think Jeremy will like.” Why would she say “I try?” Nothing wrong with her trying on different identities, like a college freshman, because she wasn’t allowed to do it before. I just hope she is being the person she wants, and not just desperately following jeremy, and doing what she thinks he wants. 

• Love 14

Good points about why Jana may have looked so subdued. I'm still wondering what's so different in that episode. Grandmother's death was recent then, though, right?  

If Jana doesn't get out of there, she could end up being her parents' caregiver if their health declines.  It's very honorable, but, she's already served her time.  I'd really like for the woman to enjoy her life. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

To Jana, getting married must feel like giving up a job of 30 years. It’s like, what do you do when you hit retirement?  Become a Walmart greeter, a crossing guard? Sit at home and wait to die? Her parents did a great job of brainwashing any other thoughts out of her head, and there are no thoughts and feelings of her own to fall back on, as well as life experience.  All that is left is sucking the personality out of a cup of coffee and Joanna Gaines. It’s sad.

Exactly, her job is to be a JB and Michelle's proxy.  If Jana did get married, it would be like having to start all over again with a potentially shadier boss.   What got me last week was when JB and Michelle were giving commentary during the art class debacle and made it sound like Josie and Jana were having a typical sibling squabble.  No, Jana is 20 years older than Josie and pretty much ran the household while they were off at marriage retreats and church talks.  I know Jana can be sanctimonious and bitter but there is a lot about her situation to be bitter about.  She just needs to send her sighs and judgy smirks in her parents' direction because they failed her.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points about why Jana may have looked so subdued. I'm still wondering what's so different in that episode. Grandmother's death was recent then, though, right?  

If Jana doesn't get out of there, she could end up being her parents' caregiver if their health declines.  It's very honorable, but, she's already served her time.  I'd really like for the woman to enjoy her life. 

Mary passed in early June. The Duggars visited LA in October and Jana stayed on after the rest of them left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I’m watching now, and I laughed when Jinger said, “I try to dress classy.” I kind of interpreted that as, “I try to dress how I think Jeremy will like.” Why would she say “I try?” Nothing wrong with her trying on different identities, like a college freshman, because she wasn’t allowed to do it before. I just hope she is being the person she wants, and not just desperately following jeremy, and doing what she thinks he wants. 

I think that describes all of the married female Duggars, they just take on whatever personality and interests their headship wants them to have. Remember Jinger’s post that she likes books because Jeremy likes books? Except Jessa - honestly, she’s my favorite, (I use that term loosely) just because it’s nice to see one female Duggar in charge of her family. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2