Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yeah, I think basically the "Frozen effect" lasted a couple of episode and the 2.6 is the core Once viewers. It's still a very good number (every other drama that night had low 1s... only Simpson did better in demo (3.3) but I think it had NFL lead in.)

You just know some people will write this off due to the ep barely featuring Regina.

Which is ironic considering, fun fact!, the big Regina backstory episode Stable Boy was S1's worst rated.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3

I wonder how much the Nielsen screw up is affecting current rate gs now. Perhaps the original numbers were inflated a little more even with the fix.

Edited by stacey
Fixing duplicate text
You just know some people will write this off due to the previous ep barely featuring Regina.

Well, I attribute to the not-insignificant drop-off between 4x01 and 4x02 to the fact that 4x01 was all Woegina all the time, so....

I think it's likelier that it's a combo of holiday weekend + the show settling down more to its core audience.

Arrgh. Boy, people are fickle.  Can't believe they stopped tuning in already.  Maybe it was because Episode 2 didn't have any of the "Frozen" characters interacting with each other?  Anna was only in flashback and Elsa was only in present-day?  That's all I've got, since I can't explain this at all...  People couldn't have been so invested in Regina already from Episode 1 that they would tune out after she was a no-show in Episode 2.  I personally thought the flashbacks in Episode 2 were so hokey and idiotic... I know some of my friends who wouldn't touch the show after that cheesiness.  Hopefully, the numbers will stabilize at this week's level rather than drop to the Season 3 average...

Edited by Camera One

It's a shame they weren't able to introduce more of the Snow Queen mystery in episode two, because I think that's the kind of story people will stick around to find out what happens. That said, if I were just watching for the Frozen elements, I probably wouldn't watch live. I'd DVR or Hulu and just watch the bits I cared about.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1

As usual, I would like to throw out the football excuse -- Philly was playing the Giants last night. And I do have to wonder about Nielsen's wonky ratings snafu and how that's affecting the overall picture.

• Love 1

It's a shame they weren't able to introduce more of the Snow Queen mystery in episode two, because I think that's the kind of story people will stick around to find out what happens. That said, if I were just watching for the Frozen elements, I probably wouldn't watch live. I'd DVR or Hulu and just watch the bits I cared about.

It would be hilarious if a pop-up Regina shows up on the screen reprimanding the viewer for not watching her scene with Henry.

I just saw that the Walking Dead got a demo rating of 8.8. That's kind of insane, and while it's on at 9, not 8, there was a marathon before the new episode so I'm betting lots of people tuned in for that. So I think that + sports on FOX was the explanation for the dip, and the DVR gains will be huge.

• Love 1

That's higher than any S3 episode.

The Walking Dead rerun that aired at 8 opposite Once got a 3.0 - it's insane! That's definitely what caused the decrease in live viewers. I expect big DVR gains.

Early Top 25 Markets reports is a 2.9 demo. I think last week the early markets ended up being pretty close to the final numbers, right? If so, this is the first time it's gone up this season.

SpoilerTV showing a 2.7 for the key demo and 7.91 million viewers.

Hopefully the trend of ticking up continues in the finals.

Edited by Emma
  • Love 1

Adam Horowitz @AdamHorowitzLA

To clarify this extra hour of #OnceUponATime is in ADDITION to the 22 eps we already had planned.  So winter finale remains set for 12/14

Adam Horowitz @AdamHorowitzLA

Excited to tell ya ep 408 on 11/16 of #OnceUponATime is being expanded to TWO hours.  Set to air an hour earlier from 7/6c til 9/8c on ABC

So Adam's announced there will now been at least 23 hrs of once this year as ep 4x08 expands to two hours. I'm guessomg they just had too much filmed that they didn't want to cut it. When I look at Once's ratings in comparison to most things on ABC I can see them getting the approval. Why not have another ep of something that should at least rate a 2.0 or better unlike some of the dismal ratings ABC is getting other days *coughTuesdaycough*  And it'll be during November Sweeps as well.

I'm a little surprised it'll be 7-9pm rather than 8-10 but guess they can't bump anybody.

I'm all for an extra hour with the Frozen people. Glad this didn't happen in what I expect to be a more lackluster back half.

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 2

I'm a little surprised it'll be 7-9pm rather than 8-10 but guess they can't bump anybody.

Yeah, I'm nervous for that 7:00 ET/6:00 CT time slot. That's usually the America's Funniest Home Videos slot, isn't it? ABC is going to have to push really hard to promote that new early time slot. It's easier when there's another episode on after the normal time slot because you've already got the people sitting and watching the normal hour they're used to. And what happens to the viewers tuning in at the normal 7:00/8:00 hour and they realize they've missed an entire episode or are confused about what's going on? Are they going to tune out for the second half, too? It'll be interesting to see how those ratings turn out.

Edited by Curio

Did the S3 finale run 7-9 or 8-10?

I'm pretty sure it went 8-10.

Wonder what football game is on that night?

Google tells me it's New England @ Indianapolis... which means it's actually going to be a good game. But the earlier start time for Once that night actually helps it out, since the football game doesn't start until 8:30/7:30.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

On the other hand, 7pm is prime for football overrun from the 4pm games. I'm actually surprised they are doing the 7pm time as well. I know Ressurection is a big hit for them but Revenge is not so much (and it's getting good this season....grr). Plus, it's sweeps month. I think there may not be as much of a buffer to mess with this time around.

There are two 4 p.m. NFL games that day. Detroit vs. Arizona is a good matchup, but shouldn't draw great ratings because, well, it's Detroit and Arizona. The other matchup -- Oakland vs. San Diego -- basically sucks. Regardless, that NFL game is always good for a lot of viewers in the overrun.

HOWEVER, New England vs. Indianapolis (the night game) is a great ratings draw. NBC has an option to "flex"  a better game into the night time slot, but they likely won't do it with the Patriots-Colts matchup already sitting there.

The two-hour block is a counter-programming move for sweeps by ABC. I'm guessing that they will heavily promote Frozen to see if they can grab some younger eyeballs during that 7 p.m. hour, when the late afternoon NFL games get boring and before the late game starts.

• Love 2
I know Ressurection is a big hit for them

Not really. The ratings are tolerable, but not especially good. And the show is barely getting any exposure, even compared to much lower-rated stuff (not sure if it matters, maybe it affects DVR and DVD sales). In fact, I won't be that surprised if it gets canceled after slipping below 1.5 eventually.

The only good thing about 7-9 pm time slots is that Once won't have to compete with Walking Dead, if it's on that weekend.

Maybe they simply didn't have the space on their prime time schedule in the next weeks to bump Resurrection/Revenge there. A weird decision, but let's see if it pays off.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
I'm guessing that they will heavily promote Frozen to see if they can grab some younger eyeballs during that 7 p.m. hour, when the late afternoon NFL games get boring and before the late game starts.

Now I'm picturing little girls crying if Daddy wants to switch over to the game after they've been watching an hour and a half of The Frozen Show. Some dads may relent, since it's not like anything happens in the first quarter.

Hee, it kind of worked for me last weekend (and although I'm far from being a child, I'm still Daddy's Little Girl).

• Love 1

Ah, so we twisted ourselves like pretzels to make sense of the 7pm start - and it turns out it was Adam's mistake, and it actually starts at 8 like usual.

Lol, that's funny. Well, regardless, Sunday is a killer with The Walking Dead and football. Once is actually decent counter-programming since those shows are popular with a male audience.

• Love 1

Yeah, all the Doctor Whale fans.

I thought it was all those Tamara fans.

(To be fair to Sonequa Martin Green, who really couldn't do anything with the poorly written Tamara, I enjoy her Sasha on TWD much more than I enjoyed her OUaT character, which is more than I can say for MRJ's TWD character.)

I hadn't realized that ABC is giving an extra episode order to almost every show, except for the duds, and not only Once. That puts things into perspective. Sounds like a network wide PR move.

The other thing I just noticed is the Live +3 ratings that sites have been posting and the ones Adam have been bragging about are L+3 not C3. L+3 are essentially meaningless to their revenue because those DVR watchers aren't watching the commercials whereas C3 only counts the ad viewers. I should've known since C3 are rarely publicized, mainly because they don't differ significantly from live-same day. But I thought from all the excitement that they were releasing the C3 numbers because it was doing so well. It's all exaggerated hype. I predict they will come crashing down for 4B.

I predict they will come crashing down for 4B.

Agreed. There really is no Disney fairy tale franchise more popular than Frozen right now to pick up the slack with. Since 2B and 3B were the worst arcs of the show, it's a given 4B won't be near as good as 4A.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Agreed. There really is no Disney fairy tale franchise more popular than Frozen right now to pick up the slack with. Since 2B and 3B were worst arcs of the show, it's a given 4B won't be near as good as 4A.

At least it looks like they are trying to minimize the "crash and burn" that'll be coming in 4b though.

Seeing how I don't know how to hide spoilers, I'll be as vague as possible:

their choice for the 4b villain is probably the smartest move they could make for following frozen, given recent events. Does that make sense?

*If this is too spoilery, someone please get rid of it, or please tell me how to hide spoilers!!

I hope that the show can stay a few ticks above it's season 3b ratings though. They were low, but they seemed pretty solid all the way through. Also, spring seemed to slaughter almost all the shows last season.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

I don't think Once's ratings are really been "low". Lower than S1? Sure. But compared to everything else on ABC/television, they were just fine. For example, they were consistently higher than SHIELD's, who had a lot of publicity and a billion dollar franchise behind it.

I was worried about the ratings for 3B simply because I have to think Once is a pretty damn expensive show to make. But at this point, I think S5 is a given, given the strong ratings of 4A and the magical 100-episode count. Unless 3B tanks so bad it goes down to like 0.5 (which I really can't imagine), I won't be worried...or rather, I'll be more worried about how awful 5A will be without Disney looking over A&E's shoulder, but, you know. :)

*edited because 4A is not in fact 3A!

Edited by stealinghome

I'll be more worried about how awful 5A will be without Disney looking over A&E's shoulder, but, you know. :)

The scenes with Frozen have been much higher quality in the story and characters than the rest of the show. You can tell that's where Disney is watching the most. Everything else in 4A hasn't been any better than 3B to me. (Operating Mongoose, The Apprentice stuff, Captain Swan, Mayor White, etc.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think, as a comparison, ABC has pretty much only 4 shows who go above a 2.0 rating: the Shonda lineup (Scandal/GA/HTGAWM) and OUAT. I think Castle sometimes gets a 2.1 or similar. And that's it. ABC is in a pretty bad place, and even a lower OUAT gives them more money than most of their other shows. They produce it, too, which means they get money from international sales as well. Basically, I think Once will go on as long as the actors and A&E want it to go on. Which, depending on their original contracts, could be S6 or S7, IMO. 

As for the quality, I think the non-Frozen stuff is better than 3B simply because there's much less Woegina and Woegina deification. So far.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 4
As for the quality, I think the non-Frozen stuff is better than 3B simply because there's much less Woegina and Woegina deification. So far.

I agree with the Storybrooke stuff, aside from Woegina, being better through 4x04. But the ridiculous kiss curse redux is just...bad. I feel like it's going to become the albatross around the half-season's neck. The only saving grace is that if there are any new viewers, they don't know it a redux of 3B, so...maybe it will be less offputting for them?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Since 2B and 3B were the worst arcs of the show, it's a given 4B won't be near as good as 4A.

Well not only that but with the lower number, high 2s, I'm inclined to think a big chunk are really old Once watchers that are tuning in for Frozen. Which means as soon as Frozen is gone, more than likely they'll tune out. All the reasons they tuned out in the first place are still there and they've gotten the show's number already to not be curious and stick around.

With the 3s I thought there was a chance a big portion were Once virgins, Frozenites. Those would be easier to lure into sticking around. It's always been known that serial dramas are habit forming. Once you break that habit you lose them for good. So Frozen still deserves plenty of credit for doing the near impossible and bringing them back.

I don't think Once's ratings are really been "low".

But the fall has been steep. They went from being a breakout hit that commanded a spinoff to mediocre. The comedies on ABC do pretty well too. Modern Family might be their biggest show outside Shonda's.

You can tell that's where Disney is watching the most.

I think it's the only place they're watching. They probably only get the script pages with Frozen people on them. Because I can't imagine anyone torturing themselves of going through A&E's material when they don't have to. It's pretty ironic that Once is built on twisting, putting their spin on stories but their most successful one is the one that follows Disney's by the book. Edited by Jean
  • Love 2

But the ridiculous kiss curse redux is just...bad. I feel like it's going to become the albatross around the half-season's neck. The only saving grace is that if there are any new viewers, they don't know it a redux of 3B, so...maybe it will be less offputting for them?

I think it's meant to grip new viewers by making them invested in the Hook/Emma romance.  This last week's episode was meant to make them feel badly for Hook, and Adam and Eddy are likely banking on them staying with the show so they can see Hook and Emma's eventual reconciliation after it all blows up.  That is one strategy to enticing them back for 4B if Elsa and Anna are no longer around.