Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 7/21/14

7/21/14 NANCY PELOSI - House Minority Leader (D-CA)
7/22/14 JR - French street artist who specializes in large-scale international projects
7/23/14 MARY MAZZIO with OSCAR VAZQUEZ - Writer & Director film  “Underwater Dreams”
7/24/14 ELON MUSK - CEO, SpaceX and Tesla Motors

• Love 1

I'm surprised that Pelosi will be on the show. (Or maybe it was some conservative rumor I heard a while back, that Democrats were advised to avoid Colbert.)

JR seems like a fascinating person. I can't wait for that interview and to see how he spars with "Stephen."

Thank you for your service, Stephen. Now I cannot unsee that shirtless image of you and Putin.

Nancy Pelosi is so inarticulate on these shows; her nerves seem to get the better of her, and that makes it hard to watch her.

• Love 3

I wish just once someone had the guts to say (when asked 'are you going to raise my taxes?' as Stephen did of Pelosi last night) 'Yes, I will.  You are making a shit load of money.  Yes, you've worked hard but you got where you are by the opportunities that this country has given you and now it's time to pay back.  Because god forbid that we actually ever say out loud, that yes, your taxes need to be raised. 

• Love 4

This is the least I've watched of an episode since the last time a musical guest ate up the last half. I started fast-tforwarding during the author chat and didn't stop till I got to @midnight.

(edited)

Okay, confession time. Who watches TDS and/or TCR with their pants down? ♫ Carlos Danger ♫ ...and who else?

(Because, let's face it: they are that good.)

Edited by Fremde Frau

Stephen has gotten much better at controlling himself whenever he says Filliam H. Muffman.

Oh, I was so happy to see Filliam's return. But wasn't it charming that Oppenheimer's "you've destroyed my world, Kimberly" was the thing that broke him? 

Wouldn't it be better if California just did away with public ballot initiatives, so that you don't have selfish opportunistic fucks like Timothy Draper offer up crap like breaking up California? That asshole was wearing a tie that had maps of a broken California he'd like to see happen.

• Love 2

I love Silicon Vally's "state bird" and that analogy of the tupperware container. (But, seriously, could we seal away the gun nuts in Texas? That could make me a believer in public ballot initiatives.) Draper's from Silicon Valley, isn't he? He seems untroubled by detaching himself from the needs of what would become the poorest state in the country.

That was a nice story about the Lowe's employees, but it's absurd for conservatives to then suggest that, because of anecdotes like these, government programs are unnecessary. I remember how Jim DeMint kept returning to that point during his Daily Show interview.

I wish the GOP and "real American" Tea Partiers would actually listen to stories like Oscar's. But no, it's either "they're lazy moochers stealing from hard-working Americans!" or "they're taking jobs from us would-be hard-working Americans!" Make up your mind, assholes. Better yet, shut up and open your hearts and minds to the actual people you are demonizing. You may realize that stories like Oscar's are what the whole notion of the American Dream is all about.

• Love 3

You know, California has been ungovernable since forever. But I notice nobody ever thought to break it up when the Rs were in charge. It seriously pisses me off how Democratic governance is always seen as illegitimate, to be gotten rid of, to be impeached. Your side lost, Draper. Sit the fuck down and let the grownups fix all the shit you ruined.

• Love 4

I know Colbert is a little.. impertinent with all of his guests but that interview with the douchecanoe Draper was pretty harsh.  Deservedly so but wow, most people would have difficulty getting the words out right to his face.

• Love 1

I'm not an expert on CA geography but as soon as he said if you are in Rhode Island, you can be in another state in 20 minutes, I immediately thought - well, that's true in California also since it borders three other states. Unless he meant you can drive through the entire state in 20 minutes.   But I'm probably thinking more about that statement then he did. 

And, seriously 6 new states?  What's wrong with just dividing it in half?  Not that I think you should divide California up at all. 

Well, if they divided it in half, then the rich techies in Silicon Valley would be saddled with having to pay for the people in Central CA, and that just wouldn't work (for the techies, not the poorer people in Central CA, I mean).

• Love 1
(edited)

I wanted Musk to talk about the  "Hyperloop" transportation system that would supposedly get you from NY to CA in 45 minutes. I need to know if the G-force would kill you en route, or how it works.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/16/tech/innovation/elon-musk-tube-transport/index.html

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/ny-to-la-in-45-minutes-teslas-elon-musk-has-a-plan

Reading that it's "a cross between a Concorde, a rail gun and an air hockey table," does not assuage my worries, nor does it dampen my interest. I think this would have been more interesting than hearing about rich guys naming their Teslas, or having Stephen fantasize about his relationship with Siri. Points for discussing jetpacks, though.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1
(edited)
I wanted Musk to talk about the  "Hyperloop" transportation system that would supposedly get you from NY to CA in 45 minutes. I need to know if the G-force would kill you en route, or how it works.

I thought he said LA to San Francisco in 30 minutes.

I found it interesting that the pie in the sky thing Stephen said he wanted was wireless electricity, which is what Nikola Tesla -- after whom Musk's car company is named -- was working on at his Wardenclyffe lab on Long Island, where Musk just donated $1 million to help fund a museum there. I wonder if Stephen knew that and brought up wireless electricty as a segue or if it was coincidence.

Edited by Gilmel
  • Love 1
I wonder if Stephen knew that and brought up wireless electricty as a segue or if it was coincidence.

I don't think it was a coincidence at all, as evidenced by Musk's smile when he heard what Stephen said.  

• Love 1
(edited)

BTW, 40 years ago in CA was not a paradise.  You couldn't breathe in Los Angeles without your chest hurting because the smog was so bad.  And after Prop 13 passed, so many school programs were cancelled or additional fees charged, including bus service, school sports, and music programs..

I would have lol'd hard if Elon Musk had named his car "Carlos Danger".

I was waiting for him to say the car was named Christine.

Edited by Hanahope

ABay, diet coke out my nose.

I have a friend who once named a car of his Hiroshima. Because it was a bomb, apparently. And no one was ever happy to see it coming.