Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Ultimatums And Ugly Truths

• Start Topic

I'd like to add here, if Libby's family doesn't like "old things", "Old places", etc., then they'd better not go to Rome, or Italy in general.  Also, stay away from all of Europe.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
(edited)

Dear Angela, you are a white woman who lives in America.  Those black people you didn't want Michael to talk to probably could give him a more realistic view of America than your tacky ass.   I cant' stand her.  Can we deport Angela?

Great review.  She thinks the same way I do about "slavemaster" Angela.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Those black people you didn't want Michael to talk to probably could give him a more realistic view of America than your tacky ass. 

maybe that's precisely why she DIDN'T want him speaking to people with firsthand knowledge 

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, IvySpice said:

100% this. Even at a Moldovan wedding IN AMERICA, I would expect Moldovan food. In Moldova, shut up and smile and push the food around your plate. We are not talking about a cuisine of fried grasshoppers, warthog anus, and fermented shark. The national dish of Moldova is basically cheese grits, plus lots of pork. White-bread Americans can't make that work? That said, Andrei is an ass for expecting somebody else to pay for an event and have no say in how it is planned. The purchaser of a meal gets to take into account their own tastes, however ignorant or ethnocentric those tastes may be.

Exactly.  If I was invited to a Moldovan wedding I would want and expect......wait for it.....Moldavan food!  I do not want to attend a Greek wedding and be served chicken nuggets, lol.  We all know they are prepping us for a Coven vs. Andddrei showdown.

Edited to add:  I just listened/watched the Youtube video above.  I agree with everything she said about Michael and Angela.  It IS an abusive relationship.  Only able to go to her, yelling at him at the drop of a hat, isolating him from people.  I agree - I don't like Angela either.  I never have.  Fast forwarded through Larissa/Colt/Deb.  Don't care.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 7
On 7/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, Frozendiva said:

I pass on headcheese (its other name). It is a taste I have not acquired. It's jellied pork feet/hocks. You serve it with vinegar. I just can't.

I realize this is OT but I have to share this...

About a week before my grandma died we were in our little mountain grocery store looking for ham hocks for our soup beans. She's down in the meat section alone when suddenly I hear her cracking up. When I find her, she's holding a package of meat delicately labeled "hog balls." She bought them. 

Do we REALLY believe that Father Libby is paying for this second wedding? 

• LOL 2
23 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Exactly.  If I was invited to a Moldovan wedding I would want and expect......wait for it.....Moldavan food!  I do not want to attend a Greek wedding and be served chicken nuggets, lol.  We all know they are prepping us for a Coven vs. Andddrei showdown.

Edited to add:  I just listened/watched the Youtube video above.  I agree with everything she said about Michael and Angela.  It IS an abusive relationship.  Only able to go to her, yelling at him at the drop of a hat, isolating him from people.  I agree - I don't like Angela either.  I never have.  Fast forwarded through Larissa/Colt/Deb.  Don't care.

Sometimes I feel like Angela gets a bit of a pass because her antics are just so over the top. But if the roles were switched and Michael a woman I think it would be a different story. I think the majority of her freakouts are because inside she KNOWS she's too old for what he wants (his own children) and she's afraid of losing him, but that doesn't justify her actions. 

I don't think I've ever eaten anything in eastern Europe that totally disgusted me. It's mostly just a lot of different ways of cooking meat. I've been to many weddings and functions where I didn't really care for the food. I just politely tried it and then swung through a restaurant on the way home. Chisinau has a bevy of food vendors around the old town (which is where the venue seems to be). They could run out there and buy a sausage or French fries at any time if they started "starving." Those guys stay open until 3 or 4 in the morning. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Dear Angela, you are a white woman who lives in America.  Those black people you didn't want Michael to talk to probably could give him a more realistic view of America than your tacky ass.   I cant' stand her.  Can we deport Angela?

The key to that conversation is that Angela kept saying "what can they say about what goes on inside MY house". Angela probably seriously intends to keep Michael inside her house except for when he accompanies her out. She doesn't care about those people's experiences in the US because she doesn't think they'll apply to Michael since he'll never go anywhere, work, have friends, etc. That's scary. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Sometimes I feel like Angela gets a bit of a pass because her antics are just so over the top. But if the roles were switched and Michael a woman I think it would be a different story. I think the majority of her freakouts are because inside she KNOWS she's too old for what he wants (his own children) and she's afraid of losing him, but that doesn't justify her actions. 

Yep, and because she is female, takes care of her mom and grandkids (still don't get why Skyla does not take care of her own kids - are all six of them the other daughter's?) Yeah, she was respectful towards his mom but most abusers are charming to the parents.  This way, when/if the victim goes to the parents, the parents might be shocked, and even suggest that the victim is causing it.

Let's do a gender swap:  Making someone quit their job so they are always available to you?  Calling her friends "goofballs" and not wanting her to be with her friends?  Going from zero to sixty with anger towards her?  Yelling "SHUT UP!" frequently?  Yelling over an incoming text/phone call?  (It might be another man, dammit!)  Throwing a cake in her face?  It would not air, nor should her antics be seen as funny.

• Love 11

Had I missed anything previously or was I the only one that got whiplash from seeing Ericee's living circumstances. I mean first of all, I don't believe he is straight but beyond that, he lives in a minimally furnished cheap looking house with a strange seeming roommate and drives an very old car, Suzuki hasn't even sold cars in the US in almost a decade.

I'm all about being frugal but he has always presented himself as very vain and image conscious, so he likely either doesn't have the means or the willingness to support Larissa in the lifestyle she seems to demand. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

still don't get why Skyla does not take care of her own kids - are all six of them the other daughter's?

Only one is Jailbird Scottie's kid, the other FIVE are Skyla's apparently by at least two fathers. But it seems the whole passel of youngun's spends a lot of time at MeeMaw's house. Since we saw Angela working nights at a hospice patient's house during the Quarantined show, and not at a nursing facility, I think Skyla watches Grandmaw in Angela's house overnight and brings her kids along. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, John M said:

I'm all about being frugal but he has always presented himself as very vain and image conscious, so he likely either doesn't have the means or the willingness to support Larissa in the lifestyle she seems to demand. 

Larissa claims Eric-ee is very "sheep-y" but she was thrilled when he picked up the check for their lunch. Then she suggested if he has any extra money coming in, he should buy her new boobs. (didn't she get breast implants once already? Is she like Darcey and keeps going bigger?) 

edited on add: Eric’s car may be old, but I’ll bet it has AC! 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I realize this is OT but I have to share this...

About a week before my grandma died we were in our little mountain grocery store looking for ham hocks for our soup beans. She's down in the meat section alone when suddenly I hear her cracking up. When I find her, she's holding a package of meat delicately labeled "hog balls." She bought them. 

Do we REALLY believe that Father Libby is paying for this second wedding? 

My Ukrainian background means Ukrainian weddings and if they are the country type, there is plenty of food and no one goes hungry. These days, you'd have a couple of options for meat and plenty of vegetarian options like veggies and salads. They may not be used to the cornmeal, or headcheese, or perogies, or nalysnyky (a crepe of sorts), but unless they are serving wild game (I can't eat much of it because it upsets my stomach), I can usually find something to eat. One meal won't kill them.

• Love 2

Referring back to the comments about if Angela was male and Michael female, would that change people's perceptions of abuse?  I have viewed her as abusive since their first season.  However, to add to the conversation, don't forget that she frequently tells Michael "don't make me get mad" (so some variation).  That to me is most alarming as abusers frequently (if not always) come from a position of "you made me do this-you deserved it."

I know many people believe that Angela has a good heart-I tend to disagree with that.  Does she love her family?  Probably.  But, a good heart indicates that one treats everyone well, not just their family.

And, for the comparisons with Lisa?  I dislike them both pretty equally.

• Love 9

Angela got a pass once Lisa’s season aired and everyone seemed to get temporary amnesia about just how horrible of a person she is. This trash beast assaulted Avery’s (Syria) mother, screamed in Rebecca’s face like a banshee, and was forced to leave the set of the reunion because the cast refused to film with her. Not to mention her obvious disregard for other people’s lives when she decided to drive drunk and at a high rate of speed. This bitch is horrid, but once she got the sympathy edit and they started trotting out her bevy of Cletus & Brandine Spuckler youngins and her ill mother, everybody seemed to go, “Aww, she’s not so bad. At least she tries. Aww, they really like each other. Aww, at least she loves her grandkids.” Ok. Just remember that she took her daughter to the Maury Povich show to question the paternity of one of those grandkids too. The sympathy edit is apparently working, but not for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
18 hours ago, mamadrama said:

The key to that conversation is that Angela kept saying "what can they say about what goes on inside MY house". Angela probably seriously intends to keep Michael inside her house except for when he accompanies her out. She doesn't care about those people's experiences in the US because she doesn't think they'll apply to Michael since he'll never go anywhere, work, have friends, etc. That's scary. 

I think I totally misheard Michael's explanation for wanting Angela to talk to (listen to, really) these ex-pats.  I understood the deal to be that he is hoping that Angela will agree to live in Nigeria until his visa is arranged and not leave after the wedding and wait for him over here.  I thought he wanted to introduce her to women who had lived in the US and were happy living in Nigeria, not that he for some reason wanted them to tell Angela about living in the US.

Plus Angela is so full of shit about her mama encouraging her to leave the US to go marry Michael.  Mama never says I want you to leave me right now; she says that if Angela has decided to do this, go ahead and do this.  I think that's why Angela's goodbyes with her mama were so drawn-out and repetitive.  She was hoping Mama would say something definite about wanting Angela to go, and she didn't.  Angela is as selfish a shit as is Libby.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Angela got a pass once Lisa’s season aired and everyone seemed to get temporary amnesia about just how horrible of a person she is. This trash beast assaulted Avery’s (Syria) mother, screamed in Rebecca’s face like a banshee, and was forced to leave the set of the reunion because the cast refused to film with her. Not to mention her obvious disregard for other people’s lives when she decided to drive drunk and at a high rate of speed. This bitch is horrid, but once she got the sympathy edit and they started trotting out her bevy of Cletus & Brandine Spuckler youngins and her ill mother, everybody seemed to go, “Aww, she’s not so bad. At least she tries. Aww, they really like each other. Aww, at least she loves her grandkids.” Ok. Just remember that she took her daughter to the Maury Povich show to question the paternity of one of those grandkids too. The sympathy edit is apparently working, but not for me.

For me, all those things are true: she and Michael DO seem to have real feelings for each other, she DOES take care of her grandkids, and she does seem to try to get along with his family...

And she's also an abusive asshole who Michael should run from.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mothra said:

I think I totally misheard Michael's explanation for wanting Angela to talk to (listen to, really) these ex-pats.  I understood the deal to be that he is hoping that Angela will agree to live in Nigeria until his visa is arranged and not leave after the wedding and wait for him over here.  I thought he wanted to introduce her to women who had lived in the US and were happy living in Nigeria, not that he for some reason wanted them to tell Angela about living in the US.

I think you're correct and Michael did say something about hoping Angela would stay in Nigeria until the spousal visa was approved. Angela put a stop to that notion right away by claiming she was responsible for many family members in the US. Michael probably wanted the ex-pats to share their negative experiences about Nigerian spouses living in America in order to convince Angela she should stay there at least for a while but she wasn't having any discussion of the matter! Michael has probably also have figured out that it's going to be a long time before he gets the visa approved, if ever, and Angela's plan is unrealistic. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2020 at 8:18 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

My heart kind of broke for Asuelu during the scene in an earlier episode. Kalani, Asuelu, Low, Lisa, and Kolini were in the kitchen, discussing the trip to Samoa during the measles outbreak. Someone asked Asuelu what he thought, and he replied (paraphrasing) it didn't really matter, because everyone would support Kalani and he had no family or friends to support him - and that's how it always was.

Yes, this is why, in a post for a different episode, I said that I thought Asuelu is depressed. Imagine being in an unusual country, not being able to speak the language, not able to be independent, and then have everyone around you disliking you. I know Asuelu needs to learn about equitable make/female relationships... but he's not going to get it from Kalani or her family.

• Love 2

I was thinking about the irony of a Baptist not being baptized, but then I remembered that Baptists, like a some other Protestant denominations, baptize adults, not babies.  So if she's from a religious family (doubtful), she may not have been of an age to be baptized, so she did need a baptism to join Andre's--and other--Christian churches.  One baptism is supposed to be all you need.

• Useful 1

And another thing.  I can't believe I'm defending Debbie, but when they finally got to their (first) hotel room, and Debbie headed straight to bed, Jess came after her saying "You're not tired.  You sleep in Las Vegas.  Why would you be tired" and really haranguing Debbie to get up and I presume go hang around the pool so she and Coltee can do sex.  Colt had to literally drag Jess away from trying to make Debbie get up and out.  And Debbie during the ride to the hotel kept saying how tired she was, how she needed to lie down, that she wasn't feeling well.

I really don't like any of these three, used to be Debbie the most.  But now it's Jess because I cannot believe Coltee is good at doing sex, which makes Jess a big fat scheming liar.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, Mothra said:

And another thing.  I can't believe I'm defending Debbie, but when they finally got to their (first) hotel room, and Debbie headed straight to bed, Jess came after her saying "You're not tired.  You sleep in Las Vegas.  Why would you be tired" and really haranguing Debbie to get up and I presume go hang around the pool so she and Coltee can do sex.  Colt had to literally drag Jess away from trying to make Debbie get up and out.  And Debbie during the ride to the hotel kept saying how tired she was, how she needed to lie down, that she wasn't feeling well.

I really don't like any of these three, used to be Debbie the most.  But now it's Jess because I cannot believe Coltee is good at doing sex, which makes Jess a big fat scheming liar.

Yeah Jess said she is retired and sleeps all day in Vegas as if she knows.

• Love 2
On 7/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, Neurochick said:

I wish we could deport Angela, but she came from here, sorry to say.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, Mothra said:

Jess was wrong. But colt is going to have to divorce his "wife," debbie,  before he can get serious with anyone else.  She should be living on her own and having her own tricking account and her own car. It's ridiculous. She is not that old  and not infirm.  My mother lived alone till she was 90. She had health issues but she lived independently. We moved close to her so that she would have backup. Colt will never find a wife who will put up with her.

Colt needs full coverage in a bathing suit!! His body is disgusting......does he as also wear a 34 B?? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 7/24/2020 at 4:07 PM, mamadrama said:

For me, all those things are true: she and Michael DO seem to have real feelings for each other, she DOES take care of her grandkids, and she does seem to try to get along with his family...

And she's also an abusive asshole who Michael should run from.

OMC she took her daughter to the maury show?? ewww just ewww.  She is gutter trash. But I do think she takes care of her mother in a grand kids. IDK why Michael is willing to sacrifice his life to be with her.

5 hours ago, antfitz said:

Jess was wrong. But colt is going to have to divorce his "wife," debbie,  before he can get serious with anyone else.  She should be living on her own and having her own tricking account and her own car. It's ridiculous. She is not that old  and not infirm.  My mother lived alone till she was 90. She had health issues but she lived independently. We moved close to her so that she would have backup. Colt will never find a wife who will put up with her.

Colt needs full coverage in a bathing suit!! His body is disgusting......does he as also wear a 34 B?? 

Totally agree about Debbie.  But listen to Colt make excuses for her to Jess.  He needs to decide whether he's going to become a married man or continue to care for his mother.  He is apparently unable to set limits on Debbie's interference in his private (sex, love) life, and can't commit to his girlfriend over mom. 

I wonder if Colt is totally unaware of how grotesque he looks in that bathing suit.  He does not have man-boobs; he has breasts and womanly thighs.  Brazil is second only to the US for rate of plastic surgery, and I recall Larissa talking about Coltee coming with her to Brazil for surgery for them both.  If he has a medical condition, shame on us, but also shame on TLC for not at least hinting at that.

That said, there are plenty of men's bathing suits that would fit better.  The suit he has is several sizes too small. 

• Love 4
On 7/23/2020 at 11:43 PM, Frozendiva said:

My Ukrainian background means Ukrainian weddings and if they are the country type, there is plenty of food and no one goes hungry. These days, you'd have a couple of options for meat and plenty of vegetarian options like veggies and salads. They may not be used to the cornmeal, or headcheese, or perogies, or nalysnyky (a crepe of sorts), but unless they are serving wild game (I can't eat much of it because it upsets my stomach), I can usually find something to eat. One meal won't kill them.

Does anyone really go to wedding suppers to fulfill their minimum daily requirements?  Does anyone really expect a wedding meal to count as one of the daily three, and then get pissed off because they don't like spinach and now what will they do to get a green vegetable?  Wedding feasts are celebratory meals, where traditional and culturally significant foods are served--why the hell would anyone complain about not being able to fill their bellies from what may be symbolic foods?  I think they're all nuts.

If you're willing to raise such a stink because the wedding food isn't familiar to you and you might not like it--even if you're footing the bill--either act like an adult or just stay the fuck home.  Your choice.  Just stop whining about it.

Edited to add:  "Charlie, we're having some people over on Friday for drinks and dinner.  We'd love it if you could join us."  "What are you having?" "Roast duck."  "Ewww, no.  I've never had roast duck, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it."

Edited by Mothra
Obsessed by churlishness which threatens to ruin what should be a happy occasion.
  • Love 6

@Mothra, a lot of people like to eat and drink their way to cover most of the cost of the wedding gift they give.

it is hard to cater events for a number of people. Too many diets, too many intolerances, some people have allergies (and that should be noted on the RSVP).

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

@Mothra, a lot of people like to eat and drink their way to cover most of the cost of the wedding gift they give.

it is hard to cater events for a number of people. Too many diets, too many intolerances, some people have allergies (and that should be noted on the RSVP).

Frozen, you know I love you, but I have to disagree.  I am shocked to learn that people view attending a wedding as a transaction.  "Let's see--we spent $100 on our gift.  We need to eat one more hors d'oeuvre and three more beers to get our money's worth."  I'm old, and maybe things have changed, but I think you give a wedding present out of affection, with nothing to do with how to recoup your cost.  If you have trouble putting food on your own table, maybe you shouldn't be buying presents for anybody but going to the grocery store instead of going to weddings.

I think the hostess must take into account her guests' food preferences and allergies, etc., when the dinner party is a small one.  I throw big dinner parties, and I make sure there are choices for friends I know keep kosher or have gluten intolerance, but I do not shape my menus around anyone's food preferences, except my own, of course.  If someone simply doesn't like something I serve, well, this isn't the Clean Plate Club.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Frozen, you know I love you, but I have to disagree.  I am shocked to learn that people view attending a wedding as a transaction.  "Let's see--we spent $100 on our gift.  We need to eat one more hors d'oeuvre and three more beers to get our money's worth."  I'm old, and maybe things have changed, but I think you give a wedding present out of affection, with nothing to do with how to recoup your cost. 

I'm more likely to spend $100 on a gift if I'm attending the wedding, but $200 if I get to stay home and not have to dress up and put on a bra.  LOL.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Frozen, you know I love you, but I have to disagree.  I am shocked to learn that people view attending a wedding as a transaction.  "Let's see--we spent $100 on our gift.  We need to eat one more hors d'oeuvre and three more beers to get our money's worth."  I'm old, and maybe things have changed, but I think you give a wedding present out of affection, with nothing to do with how to recoup your cost.  If you have trouble putting food on your own table, maybe you shouldn't be buying presents for anybody but going to the grocery store instead of going to weddings.

I think the hostess must take into account her guests' food preferences and allergies, etc., when the dinner party is a small one.  I throw big dinner parties, and I make sure there are choices for friends I know keep kosher or have gluten intolerance, but I do not shape my menus around anyone's food preferences, except my own, of course.  If someone simply doesn't like something I serve, well, this isn't the Clean Plate Club.

I am cynical. It is a small percentage of people who do this. It is eye opening to see how much alcohol is poured down the sink the next day. Utter waste of hundreds of dollars or more. I also have heard of people who keep spreadsheets of gifts, their value, and who gave them.For future use. It is petty and nasty, but common. For some folks, it is not just a celebration and any gift is welcome. More like entitlement and greed.

• Love 1

I've not heard of wedding guests trying to get their money's worth by eating the value of the gift. Sadly, many bridal couples do believe that guests are obligated to "cover their plate" by giving a gift that equates to the cost per person of the reception.  

• Love 4
On 7/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, artisto said:

There was a Hungarian restaurant in Toledo OH we used to go to when I lived there.

They had the best stuffed cabbage and nokedli (I believe they are called)

If i ate meat I would definitely of eaten the stuffed cabbage and the meat balls and mashed potatoes. that Madonna cake and cherry crepes looked yummy.

• Love 1