Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Ultimatums And Ugly Truths

• Start Topic

I’m russian, and a lot of russian and Moldovan cuisine and customs are very similar. A russian wedding is like nothing any American has experienced. I had people at my wedding who had never been to a russian wedding, and they couldn’t get over it. It’s a cultural thing. If Libby’s parents would just say hey it’s another culture they might actually enjoy it. 

and after this episode finished, they started showing commercials for next week... someone at tlc must hate us. My retinas are forever scarred. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, FurBabyMama said:

I’m russian, and a lot of russian and Moldovan cuisine and customs are very similar. A russian wedding is like nothing any American has experienced. I had people at my wedding who had never been to a russian wedding, and they couldn’t get over it. It’s a cultural thing. If Libby’s parents would just say hey it’s another culture they might actually enjoy it. 

and after this episode finished, they started showing commercials for next week... someone at tlc must hate us. My retinas are forever scarred. 

They're already convinced that Moldova is a dangerous place to visit. They don't need to be there. If Libby's parents come, that's enough. Her family all went to her first wedding. This wedding is for Andrei's family. 

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, suzywallis said:

What the heck is Larissa going to do?  I can't believe Carmen kicked her out!

Well, Eric-ee will just have to move the dead bodies to the other side of the closest and make room for her bags...

• LOL 23

After hearing all this about Eric and the arrests, I think Larissa is only getting back with him hoping to reduce her sentence and avoid deportation. I wonder if he suspects the same about her too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

This ep was a bit, er, moldy.

Larissa and Eric: Larissa, you need to be independent and not rely on a man to take care of you. And validate you. I don't think Eric-ee liked being told he was cheap-ee. I don't know too many people who will drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on you, Larissa. All you want from Eric is to have him fund more unnecessary plastic surgery. You had a good friend in Carmen, and you just threw it away over getting back with Eric and having a man in your life again. Learn to support yourself and maybe become a bit less dependent on others. All you seem to do is call everyone's girlfriend and whine. What will happen to you when Eric-ee dumps you after paying for your new chest? Some boyfriends do end up suing their ex for giving an expensive 'gift'.

Colt and Debbie and Jess: Three's Company, with Debbie as Mr. Roper. Hope Debbie is downgraded to a basic room now that there is no need for the 'suite'. Jess, you may want to tone down the sex talk a bit. Yes, maybe you enjoy it and for whatever reason, you enjoy it with Colt, but keep it a bit to yourself. And no, not talk about it much in front of his mom. It is rude, thoughtless, and low-class. Debbie does put on a good game. Maybe they went to Brazil in late fall or early winter so it may be chilly there. Debbie's lumberjack shirt makes her really stand out. Debs is not going to give up her Coltee without a good fight and no woman will come between her and her son. Colt, find Debbie a seniors apartment and have your own place, learn to set appropriate boundaries, and stand up to mom and tell her you can make your own life choices, no matter how disastrous they will be for you. If he wants her input, he will ask.

Andreii and Libby: Well, she does look better with less makeup. Andreii's parents are lovely and you wonder how he became who is he with them being his parents. Moldova does not look like a war zone or anything - just a nice Eastern European country. It's pretty tacky to expect a catering company and venue to provide extensive food samples for 'tasting'. That can be expensive. A series of menus and prices could be shown and if you have a request to taste some food, make an appointment for a day or two later. Eastern Europeans do eat a bit differently than Americans - obviously Libs has never attended a Ukrainian wedding in Florida - meats, cabbage rolls, headcheese, polenta, perogies, sausage, etc. And yes, if it is a country wedding, you might find some fried chicken along with probably beef. One of my cousin's father's cows was dinner for the wedding. Also open bars and a lot of alcohol waste. The second venue was more 'American' and glitzy for your folks. As long as they have a good meal, who cares. Andreii does need to learn to shut up and be less he-man. Libby, you also could have spent five minutes on Google looking up the Orthodox baptism ritual. Keep an eye open for Andreii's relatives - they will have his back, and not yours.

Ange and Mykull: what is the point? She is unlikely to ever trust him being near any woman for any reason. Poor man deserves a Green Card for putting up with her screaming and screeching at him. That is emotional abuse. She is becoming exhausting and not really any fun or a bit interesting. Marry him, don't marry him, but seriously, you should have waited a couple of months til your mother died. And the screaming and yelling will still be there.

Kalani and Asuelu and Low: Yeah, Kalani. You are mom to three children, including a manchild husband. Daddy's talk will go between Asuelu's ears and the empty space in his skull. Having one kid with him as a vacation souvenir was one thing. A second is on you, girl. And you still chose to marry him.  Get him a one way ticket back to Samoa, and have him send some child support. Daddy probably could not give him a punch or spanking for his behaviour because it would be filmed and he would be charged. Maybe some family counselling is in order or have an individual one for him to learn how to treat people and act as a functioning adult in a relationship. Not some 24 year old toddler throwing a tantrum at every opportunity.

Tania and Syngin: I forgot all about them. They didn't register for me. Where are you going to get the money for a plane ticket to South Africa, Syngin? Can you and Tania afford it. Heck, she dumped you for a month to have fun. She doesn't seem to like it when the tables are turned on her. Both of you should not have married each other.

Edited by Frozendiva
forgot Tania
  • Love 20

It was really cute to see how excited Michael was over his two suits... though the purple one made me think of Johnnie Cochran's purple suit during the OJ trial (yes, I know, I'm dating myself):

image.thumb.png.c97c22fba7989a60e6f36fd0a96290de.png

• LOL 11
  • Love 6
(edited)

I clicked on the link for the Moldovan foods, and because I have to avoid certain vegetables there are a few things I actually wouldn’t eat.  I do confess to being the odd (wo)man out here,  because I would try the meat jelly.  I mean, it’s basically aspic, no?  I liked aspic as a kid.

Edited by Marmiarmo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

I clicked on the link for the Moldovan foods, and because I have to avoid certain vegetables there are a few things I actually wouldn’t eat.  I do confess to being the odd (wo)man out here,  because I would try the meat jelly.  I mean, it’s basically aspic, no?  I liked aspic as a kid.

I pass on headcheese (its other name). It is a taste I have not acquired. It's jellied pork feet/hocks. You serve it with vinegar. I just can't.

• Love 2
(edited)

Was anyone else surprised that Syngin wanted Tania to travel with him back to South Africa? I thought it was an opportunity for Syngin to make his "break." I really hope both of them realize that their marriage isn't going to work. I think they would both do well on their own or with other people. 

This Entertainment Tonight interview they did suggests how they have underlying tensions: 

Edited by nb360
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Frozendiva said:

I pass on headcheese (its other name). It is a taste I have not acquired. It's jellied pork feet/hocks. You serve it with vinegar. I just can't.

Oh...nope.  Now, I have had beef aspic and chicken aspic, the latter both with and without meat added.  I might even be able to tolerate jellied pork hocks...maybe.  But vinegar?  Nope nope.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Marmiarmo said:

Oh...nope.  Now, I have had beef aspic and chicken aspic, the latter both with and without meat added.  I might even be able to tolerate jellied pork hocks...maybe.  But vinegar?  Nope nope.

My relatives always serve vinegar with it. No thanks. You don't have to. The texture and taste is not for me.

Wow.... that Baptism and then the dinner.  Liz needs to learn Romanian (that's the language my closed caption listed it as) fast so she can keep up. No one's translating everything.

Or... Andrei could have just waited until she knew enough language and customs before going there. But then he couldn't look like a good guy to his family if she did.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, suzywallis said:

I would bet good money that there is more to Larissa and Carmen’s story. A lot more!

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Adeejay said:

If I were Libby, I wouldn't trust that sister in-law.  I don't know if it's jealousy,  but she strikes me as a stealth bitch.  

Apparently both Libby and Andrei have at least one stealth bitch sister-in-law. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I can't get over Andrei translating to suit his agenda. He is something else.  If I were Libby, I wouldn't trust that sister in-law.  I don't know if it's jealousy,  but she strikes me as a stealth bitch.  

Angela bursts a blood vessel every time Michael is in the same zip code as a woman under 50, so, I have a feeling those three attractive young ladies were production plants.

I’ve had enough with Jess talking about sex. Girl, it is with Colt.  The way she is behaving, you would think it was with those two guys from Missouri with the last names Pitt and Hamm.

I cannot for your out what Elizabeth saw in Andre. He is such a jerk. Just a big overgrown thug.  He would have to me once like that and I'd be on the 1st plane back and wouldn't be thinking of marrying him again.

I have a feeling Angelo has high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure often react like that.

I agree about col-tie.  Thought of having sex with that blob nauseates me.

• Love 9

Angela and Michael seem to have had a bit of a production set-up. Somehow, I don't think Michael would have arranged for just the 3 women, or any of them, knowing how Angela has reacted in the past to the mere idea of another woman near Michael. How alarming about her poor mom.

I really feel that Andrei (or his interfering sister-in-law) should have taken some time to explain the meaning of the baptismal service to Libby. Yes, she's a pain, and could have looked up some info for herself, but there is nothing like first-hand instruction, especially since everything was so rushed. The SIL acted as though Libby should know not just about the spiritual implications of the baptism, but what the social expectations were as well. There is not much sense in having an observance in which the participant has no idea what she is supposedly committing to. The stealth SIL seems to be enjoying every bit of the confusion and discomfort that Libby is feeling. I'm not a Libby fan, but really.

Debbie's major malfunction these days seems to rear its head whenever children are mentioned. Seems as though she has spent Colt's adult life convincing herself there will never be any children to take his attention from her. She is pathetically self-involved, and marking her territory in an equally pathetic manner.

Larissa wants more boob jobs? She has a lot of nerve asking Ericee to foot the bill for that. She needs to stop while she has some semblance of her former self left, and not risk her "relationship" with Eric for such nonsense.

It took the most recent preview of B90 Strikes Back to convince me I've had enough. Too much self-congratulatory Ed, defensive and snippy David, and ever nastier Rose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

For all we heard about the "Moldovan wedding" while Boris and Nastasha were in FL... theyre here let it be a friggin Moldovan wedding! Culture, food and all! Father Chuck and the milkmaids won't starve for one day if they choose to be picky eaters. 

Embrace your husband's culture Libby . SHUT IT. This is his shot for the Moldovan wedding . Its all America all the time from here on out when you go home. 

Love his parents.  Libby looks skinny. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, nb360 said:

It was really cute to see how excited Michael was over his two suits... though the purple one made me think of Johnnie Cochran's purple suit during the OJ trial (yes, I know, I'm dating myself):

image.thumb.png.c97c22fba7989a60e6f36fd0a96290de.png

OMG, I forgot about the purple suit!  Which couple said that the condom didn't fit and that was why she got married??

"If it doesn't fit, you must...roll over and say, "Hell no!"  (Yep, dating myself, too.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Was Libby wearing house shoes in the church?

I caught that too.  I'm pretty sure it was just to fit the "all white" thing.  She didn't have much time to shop.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, renatae said:

Angela and Michael seem to have had a bit of a production set-up. Somehow, I don't think Michael would have arranged for just the 3 women, or any of them, knowing how Angela has reacted in the past to the mere idea of another woman near Michael. How alarming about her poor mom.

I really feel that Andrei (or his interfering sister-in-law) should have taken some time to explain the meaning of the baptismal service to Libby. Yes, she's a pain, and could have looked up some info for herself, but there is nothing like first-hand instruction, especially since everything was so rushed. The SIL acted as though Libby should know not just about the spiritual implications of the baptism, but what the social expectations were as well. There is not much sense in having an observance in which the participant has no idea what she is supposedly committing to. The stealth SIL seems to be enjoying every bit of the confusion and discomfort that Libby is feeling. I'm not a Libby fan, but really.

Debbie's major malfunction these days seems to rear its head whenever children are mentioned. Seems as though she has spent Colt's adult life convincing herself there will never be any children to take his attention from her. She is pathetically self-involved, and marking her territory in an equally pathetic manner.

Larissa wants more boob jobs? She has a lot of nerve asking Ericee to foot the bill for that. She needs to stop while she has some semblance of her former self left, and not risk her "relationship" with Eric for such nonsense.

It took the most recent preview of B90 Strikes Back to convince me I've had enough. Too much self-congratulatory Ed, defensive and snippy David, and ever nastier Rose.

I think this is the first post that I have agreed with everything that was said!

In defense of Libby's sister-in-law: I was in a similar position as the daughter-in-law who lived next door to my in-laws. I was there all the time, for dr's appts., for picking up groceries, helping out with just about anything that needed helping out with. My SIL lived 6 hours away and when the time came for the semi-annual "visit" it was as if Princess Kate was coming to town for vacation. The preparations were endless and extensive. Can't say that I didn't resent this, just a bit! (Who am I kidding, I resented it a LOT!) Just saying, I can understand a bit of the attitude.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Libby was wearing Ugg slippers (and they didn't look white to me.)  Surely she could have (1) borrowed shoes from her mother-in-law or sister-in-law, (2) worn her wedding shoes, which are probably white, or (3) bought a pair of cheap shoes locally.  White Keds or cheap knockoff would have sufficed.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bees52 said:

After hearing all this about Eric and the arrests, I think Larissa is only getting back with him hoping to reduce her sentence and avoid deportation. I wonder if he suspects the same about her too.

well, that- and her "new boobies." And for him to open his wallet wide and pour all his money into her lap.

• Love 4

If Big Ange can travel back and forth to Nigeria, family Libby can visit Moldova at the drop of a hat, Coltee, Debbie and Jess holiday in Brazil, then Syngyn deserves a free trip to South Africa to visit his sick brother. TLC is making a fortune from these reality shows. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

For all we heard about the "Moldovan wedding" while Boris and Nastasha were in FL... theyre here let it be a friggin Moldovan wedding! Culture, food and all! Father Chuck and the milkmaids won't starve for one day if they choose to be picky eaters. 

Embrace your husband's culture Libby . SHUT IT. This is his shot for the Moldovan wedding . Its all America all the time from here on out when you go home. 

Love his parents.  Libby looks skinny. 

As Andreii said, if they are not happy with the food then let them go to McDonald's after the wedding. Although it is one thing to not like the sauces or spices used it is quite another to not want to eat cow head...it would give me pause too, hopefully the chicken will be "normal" enough for her family.  The  TLC staged question from Mother Andreii about Libby's family liking Moldova was Libby's chance to tell her that her family are narrow minded ugly Americans that hate anything with history because it is not new and modern, TLC is so predictable.

We are hearing a lot about this wedding but when do we find out the wedding dress is not acceptable?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

While learning another language is difficult, I still don't understand why a person marries someone who has a different language and who's family speaks a different language doesn't learn it.  Libby has had time.  If Libby spoke Andrei's language, she may be better able to communicate, but, that's a guess.  I don't think either of them care to do that, really.  She seems very annoyed with all things and he is impossible to be around. Andrei is verbally abusive.  Toxic relationship.  I wonder if Libby would be that way if with a normal person.  I suspect Andrei would be toxic like he is, regardless.  His family is likely, secretly happy he is living elsewhere. The really sad thing is that that kind of dynamic can lead to someone getting seriously hurt or worse. As well as the young child being at risk is unacceptable.   He seems very close to getting physical and then last night Libby says she cold assault him. Something about hitting him or slapping him.  That's just NOT acceptable at all.  It came from Libby, although, Andrei seems the one more prone to violence. It's not okay and to go on with a marriage, with that kind of discord and toxicity is really disgusting.  They are worried about food at a reception, when they should be concerned with their physical safety, mental health, and welfare of their child.  They have it all mixed up.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Hopefully go back to Brazil where she belongs.  

And she's such a drama queen.  Who even knows if Carmen really kicked her off or it's a ruse for sympathy.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, suzywallis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone told her a food was something she would eat just to see if she would!, while it was actually something like goat or whatever LOL

Damn we should have done that. Now I want curry goat. Lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Why are Colt and Larrissa on Happily Ever After? They are not together any more?

Good question.  Their entire story line is bullshit.

I'm still grumpy that there's no Rebecca and Zied yet we get these assclowns.  

TLC better make up for this with a great Kenny and Armando on The Other Way.  

10 hours ago, nb360 said:

Larissa, like Paul, needs to stand on her own two feet.

Preferably in Brazil.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bees52 said:

As long as he gets his thirsty self on the TV, I'm sure he couldn't care less what her motives are.  

• Love 5

To me the Americans on this show are people with BIG egos and low self esteem.

Angela freaked out when she saw those young, black women and all she could think of was "I'm not enough."  She acts all big and bad, and thinks she's all that until someone threatens her self esteem.  She and Lisa are the same, their only currencies are their whiteness and American-ness.

Libby and her family are like "WE'RE AMERICANS, we're better than everybody.  Andrei has to do what WE want in the US.  But we also want what We want when he go to HIS country."  It's as if they're scared that something bad will happen to them if they eat Moldovan food.  I can understand why Libby felt some type of way about being Baptized, however I could smell the "anti-Catholic" scent from her a mile away.

I can't believe Kalani is realizing that she's married to a child.  Still can't stand her dad though.

Why is Larissa still in this country?  I've heard stories of people who have been separated from their families, but yet this woman is still here; she's like a roach you can't get rid of.  

• Love 13
(edited)
On 7/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, KateHearts said:

OK, Elizabeth... enough already. You are really "worried" about your family not liking Moldovan food at your wedding which is for the benefit of your husband's family? You really want to know if they can have a cheeseburger or fried chicken if they ask for it? If these are what you consider legitimate concerns about your family coming here (honestly, you are just painting them as ignorant rednecks) then please, just leave them home. I can't believe Libby even entertains this shit in her mind.

I cracked up at Elizabeth's repeated comments that her family are some sort of upper crust Americans, and they should be able to have a hamburger or fried chicken at the wedding.  Hamburgers and fried chicken at a wedding?  That's not upper crust, that's trailer trash.

What was up with her comments in the park about her family having these high standards and Moldova was just too old and run-down for them (translation: low class)? Sure, Moldova doesn't have Beverly Hills.  Moldova also doesn't have Detroit.

I was actually on Andre's side this whole episode.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Dobian said:

What was up with her comments in the park about her family having these high standards and Moldova was just too old and run-down for them (translation: low class)? Sure, Moldova doesn't have Beverly Hills.  Moldovia also doesn't have Detroit.

Libby is one of those people who thinks that new is better, 100% of the time and the tackier the better.  

3 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

I think even if someone had explained the Baptism to Libby, she still would have gone to nut city with her ugly American attitude.  And I didn't get her attitude, it sort of reminded me of a Roman Catholic baptism.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Asshole Asuelu--the difference between how he talks to his father-in-law and his wife are completely different.  I am not buying his story about being misunderstood.  Just saying...

Was Libby wearing house shoes in the church?  I HATE it when Andrei changes the translation to suit his purposes. 

They looked like Uggs Slippers.  I have the same, but don’t wear them to Church, lol.

• LOL 5
9 minutes ago, Dobian said:

What was up with her comments in the park about her family having these high standards and Moldova was just too old and run-down for them (translation: low class)? 

Yeah, I was smirking at her comment (made with curled lip and barely contained disdain) that the park is, "well, old... I'm kind of worried about germs but it's nice to see where Andrei grew up."  Her endless comments about "making sure her family is comfortable" don't come across the way she'd like them to. She wants to appear accommodating and flexible; instead, she comes off as rigid and faux-snobbish.

5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think even if someone had explained the Baptism to Libby, she still would have gone to nut city with her ugly American attitude.  And I didn't get her attitude, it sort of reminded me of a Roman Catholic baptism. 

Honestly, I'm surprised she could "convert" that quickly.  In my experience, you need some formal education/classes regarding the religion you are converting to.  She didn't even understand the questions being asked her. Seems a bit fishy to me.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

My parents were from Poland.  The food is similar to Russian, Chek and Ukraine.  My husband is Italian.  Our wedding meal consisted of stuffed Manacotti with sauce, prime rib, kielbassi with sauerkraut, then cannolis.  We had a polka band, wine and rye & scotch.  Everyone was dancing the polka and had a blast.  I got calls the next week saying it was the best wedding they’ve been to.  Even tho my parents paid, they were fair to the in-laws and included Italian food.  I even let my mother in law hold the booty bag when we went on the honeymoon.  I regret that now, haha.  She turned out to be a real troublemaker in the family.

• Love 4
On 7/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Libby, no one is stopping your family from having a meal before the wedding, whether it be at McDonald’s or Panda Express or maybe they can even eat at the friggin’ AirBnB that you are renting for them! I know, crazy, right? I assume the place has an actual working kitchen.

I'm quite sure we will hear endless moaning from the Family Libby about the quality/freshness/edibility of the food available at the local markets.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:46 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Looks like I stopped scrolling just in time 😄 Yeah, I would pass on meat jelly. 

I found it really interesting that stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers are apparently so popular in Moldova.  I love both of those dishes and make them quite frequently.  I'd love to try another country's version of them.  

According to my Moldovan friend, stuffed peppers are very popular in Moldova, she grew up on them. And there's a Moldovan restaurant in the Boston area, my husband had lunch there with her mother once. He loved it. But he's far from a picky eater. It seems to be pretty standard Eastern European/Russian style food--dumplings, cabbage, pickles. 

8 hours ago, magemaud said:

Apparently both Libby and Andrei have at least one stealth bitch sister-in-law. 

Except not so stealth. 

4 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

The milkmaids! DEAD

3 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I caught that too.  I'm pretty sure it was just to fit the "all white" thing.  She didn't have much time to shop.

I think she needed something that would slip off easily for the foot washing part.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

Hmmm.. let me count the ways.  Arrested 3 times, lost custody of her kids, used good money for multiple surgeries for herself.  Uses men.  That’s enough.  Send the scammer back.   Sorry @ Persnickety1 .. that wasn’t your post.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

She was acting like the Eastern Orthodox religion was some sort of fringe cult. It was established in the first century AD and has over 230 million members world wide. Libby, you are not joining the Children of God or the Millerites or Scientology. Get a fucking grip.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

My relatives always serve vinegar with it. No thanks. You don't have to. The texture and taste is not for me.

We ate it with vinegar.  Why did I not write down all the recipes from my Mother?  Too late now.