Type keyword(s) to search

Vacation House Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Funky Farmhouse: I didn't like the wallpaper in the master bedroom, but kind of loved it in the other rooms. Although the wallpaper was loud, with the headboard walls being only half walls, and the other walls and ceiling being white it didn't seem like too much. My bedroom is on the second floor of my story-and-a-half house, so I have my bed against the same type of half wall, and am seriously considering wallpapering it now.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Funky Farmhouse

I don't think Scott found the tractor on the farm; he said he purchased it ($1200, was it?).  I really doubt that they will simply leave the keys in the tractor for vacationer joyrides. And it's no burden for the owners to leave the place with the tractor keys in their pocket. I was okay with the pink. It allows people to spot the home quickly.

I thought, as VHR homes go, this one was pretty tame. I generally don't care for wallpaper anyway, but others do, so I'd live with it and would not be horrified if I encountered those walls in my vacation rental. 

I liked seeing a yard remain a yard and not a chess board or horse shoe pit (that is an activity that becomes boring very quickly) or outdoor gym. Lots of people like to toss balls and frisbees or let their kids and dogs frolic and don't need someone suggesting activities to them.

Edited by mojito
  • Like 3

I'm thinking that if some of these are truly rented out as vacation rentals they are managed by proper management companies who also contract out professional cleaners to come in between rentals.  Most of these homeowners live elsewhere and either want to travel or have full-time jobs (i.e. the doctor couple).  For what they are renting these places for they can certainly have professional cleaning staff come in between rentals, especially since most need a fast turnaround.  So I wouldn't worry about the fake plants getting dusty or the white walls getting handprints.

• Love 2

I watched the first episode today and it was fairly entertaining.  Young tech entrepreneurs bought a bayside bungalow from a 90 year old who had lived there for 45 years. They wanted to remodel and update and rent it for now, with plans to move there later in life.

Of course it was knotty pine everywhere and had significant mold/fungus damage to the supporting beams beneath the floor.  Scott took a very small 5th bedroom for expansion of a primary suite and creation of a room to house all the equipment for the smart home technology, which was everywhere--voice activated doors, appliances, lights, etc.  Debra also found a cool product to clad the existing fireplace stone without grout.

The decor overall was nice and fairly gimmick free other than the smart home technology.  Scott projects that they could rent it for $1000/night in an area where the average rental is $400/night.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

"Smart Home Hideaway" was Season 4, Episode 1, and I love that the house had big bedrooms, with closets, and lots of storage.    It looked like a place you could live in full time, not like a cottage you rent by the week. 

"Lakefront Family Retreat". Season 4, Episode 2,   After last week's smart home reno turning out so well, I hope this one does also.   This house looks like it's falling down.   Three siblings inherited the childhood cottage, and they need to fix it up as a rental, and keep it in the family long term.  

Late mother died suddenly at 61, how sad.   Cottage is in a beautiful setting, right on the lake, but the issues are serious. No insulation, ceiling is bad, flooring is awful.   Roof issues, chimney issues, kitchen is tiny, everything in this house needs work.  Plumbing and electric are bad. Scott's right, everything is being held together with duct tape and bubble gum.   2 bedrooms, 1 bath on the main floor. second floor holds two bedrooms.   There's a cottage/bunkie with a loft and one bedroom, and that has the composting toilet.   

Scott's plan is new windows, update plumbing and electric, new everything on the first floor, with an additional first floor bedroom.  Upstairs gets a bunk room, and better bedrooms.   The separate  cottage (bunkie) with a loft and one bedroom, will be improved to make it livable.    The deck will be improved.   I think the cottage could be a real selling point.   Debra's recoil when she sees the composting toilet is hysterical, and I agree with her.     

Scott insulates, replumbs, and new electrical, fix the roof issues, and get rid of the rot, clean up the deck, and restain it.  The worst is the floor issues, bad floor joists.   The vertical steel siding is interesting, and better than the previous, but I'm wondering how it will hold up? 

I love the giant Moose floatie. 

I love the remodeled house and bunkie. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Tonight's new one is interesting to me.  Blake is an old friend of Scott's and he's now a neighbor.   

"Cottage on a Cliff"  4 bedrooms upstairs, living space down, it's a back split on two levels.   Blake is a single dad, and he'll use the cottage on his weekends with the kids, and rent it out sometimes.    This cottage is newly purchased, and in horrific shape, including tree stumps under the house.     It came fully furnished.   Debra won't be a fan of the furniture, or the massive fireplace.   None of the bedrooms are consistently furnished or decorated.   The bathroom is hideous, and there's only one.  Scott wants to reduce or remove the fireplace, reconfigure the one big bathroom into two bathrooms.   

There's a giant tree growing right through the back balcony deck.  Fantastic views.  There's a lovely dock, and deck next to the dock.   Lots of steps from the house down to the lake shore.   Four bedrooms will be configured better, two bathrooms including an ensuite for the primary.  Laundry room is huge, and ugly, that will be turned into a den with a sleeper sofa for two more guests, so a fifth bedroom. My opinion is this cottage could be a real money maker.  

Demo day is a big improvement already.  Taking down some trees to improve the view is a great idea, especially the one that's through the balcony/deck. They're taking down the entire fireplace, and putting in a new one on the side wall.   They get a big woodburning stove.   The roof and addition issues are so bad, that Scott will demo the addition, and rebuild so the roofline is all one angle, make the addition structurally sound, and fix the floorplan issues.   Now they have a huge room, looking out on the lake, with much higher ceilings for the living/dining/kitchen.  I really like the design so far.     

I love the floating cube with the slide, it looks like fun.   I love the staging on the cottage.   I love the dock and seating areas on the dock and deck.  The cottage exterior is so much better. 

Blake is so thrilled about the cottage.   I love the plaid throughout the house. Everything looks so luxurious.   I really like the plaid floor tile in the primary ensuite.    Scott says it should rent for $600 a night.   

• Like 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's new one is interesting to me.  Blake is an old friend of Scott's and he's now a neighbor.   

"Cottage on a Cliff"  4 bedrooms upstairs, living space down, it's a back split on two levels.   Blake is a single dad, and he'll use the cottage on his weekends with the kids, and rent it out sometimes.    This cottage is newly purchased, and in horrific shape, including tree stumps under the house.     It came fully furnished.   Debra won't be a fan of the furniture, or the massive fireplace.   None of the bedrooms are consistently furnished or decorated.   The bathroom is hideous, and there's only one.  Scott wants to reduce or remove the fireplace, reconfigure the one big bathroom into two bathrooms.   

There's a giant tree growing right through the back balcony deck.  Fantastic views.  There's a lovely dock, and deck next to the dock.   Lots of steps from the house down to the lake shore.   Four bedrooms will be configured better, two bathrooms including an ensuite for the primary.  Laundry room is huge, and ugly, that will be turned into a den with a sleeper sofa for two more guests, so a fifth bedroom. My opinion is this cottage could be a real money maker.  

Demo day is a big improvement already.  Taking down some trees to improve the view is a great idea, especially the one that's through the balcony/deck. They're taking down the entire fireplace, and putting in a new one on the side wall.   They get a big woodburning stove.   The roof and addition issues are so bad, that Scott will demo the addition, and rebuild so the roofline is all one angle, make the addition structurally sound, and fix the floorplan issues.   Now they have a huge room, looking out on the lake, with much higher ceilings for the living/dining/kitchen.  I really like the design so far.     

I love the floating cube with the slide, it looks like fun.   I love the staging on the cottage.   I love the dock and seating areas on the dock and deck.  The cottage exterior is so much better. 

Blake is so thrilled about the cottage.   I love the plaid throughout the house. Everything looks so luxurious.   I really like the plaid floor tile in the primary ensuite.    Scott says it should rent for $600 a night.   

I agree with everything you said. This was maybe the best episode in all the seasons - great final result without anything weird. I just wish they would give purchase price and reno costs like the other shows do. This one had to be a massively expensive renovation since they nearly tore the place apart.

• Like 4

I liked Cottage on a Cliff, but I don't understand the need to have a master suite in a cabin. If only one person per bed were staying in the other bedrooms (not including the sofa bed), that would be 7 people sharing the other bathroom. I think it would be much more practical to have two bathrooms that everyone shares.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/19/2023 at 10:35 PM, jaimesommers said:

Cottage on a Cliff: I actually liked all of the renovations (usually there is at least one thing I wish had been done differently), but was there no washer/dryer in the new plan?

I don't remember them mentioning laundry, but it could be that since they added a real toilet in the bunkie, and split the house bathroom into two baths, that if there was a septic tank, it couldn't handle additional water capacity from a laundry.  

Or the laundry was just a closet type, and they didn't show it because there were so many spectacular rooms and views in the completed house. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

It would really help to understand the purchase and reno costs for these properties. The whole "this could rent for $600/night and make you $X/year is not really saying anything if you have to offset crazy reno costs. At least give us something along the lines of "if you rent this out for half a year, your renovation will pay for itself in X years" 

• Like 8

(My guess is a lot of materials are discounted, or donated in return for advertising, and Scott and Debra's services are free.   I bet a lot of the money was put up by the homeowners.   I don't know the tax laws in Canada, but one U.S. based reno show 'rented' the home from the owners for a month, and anything they did to the house during the rental period wasn't considered income, so the homeowners didn't have to pay taxes on the donated or free items, and any donated labor.   I'm sure there is some equivalent method for helping the homeowners without sinking them financially)

New episode, "Beachfront Bungalow" aka Breezy Beach House.  A sister-in-law duo buys an investment property, underestimating how much work it needs to be a profitable vacation rental.  Amanda and Emily, and their husbands bought the property.  House is on the lake front, and in a great winter rental area too.  The goal is to rent home now to pay off the investment, and sometimes use the home for both families later.  The house needs to accommodate both familes, each have two kids, so big enough for 8.    The beach and outdoor are spectacular.  

The carpet is hideous, and needs to go. There's only one full bath, and a half bath. This house is falling apart.    When Scott and the crew remove the wood paneling, there's more paneling under it. Garage will become a four-season room.    Unfortunately, the house has joist problems, and a sagging floor, and that will have to be fixed. 

Even down to the studs, the house looks so much better.  I like how Scott shows the great insulation in the former garage, now a family, four-season room.  I wish they would stop doing wallpaper, I wonder how it holds up to renters?   I like the feature room in the dining room.   I see a banquette working for the vacation rental. 

I like the patio pavers, and the privacy screens Debra bought. Poor Debra's Loon floatie is deflating.  I like the remodeled cabin.   I like that Scott featured the ceramic Loon statue, the only reminder of the previous cabin.   The kitchen is now spacious, and beautiful.   I like Scott's idea of upper cabinets with glass front, to make it easy for renters to find things.  I like that Scott's now doing a closet of some kind in the bedrooms.  I love the tub/shower tile in the full bath.   The hot tub is so nice, and the shallow entry beach is going to be so nice for renters. 

• Like 3

On the Breezy Beach House, since they got rid of the storage garage (which, I agree does look better as a den/tv room) where do they store things?  I didn't see a storage shed or basement or anything.  Some of that stuff is going to have to come in for the winter.  I also wonder what the other side of the house looks like - the side that you drive up to.  There doesn't seem to be a door on that side so you have to walk around to the lake side to get in?

That said, it did look really nice.  Even with those oddities, I'd stay there. :) 

• Like 2

My guess is that the staging furniture is only there for the show to film, and it goes away after that's finished.   I bet if the home owners buy anything for outdoors, it's the type of furniture that will stay out in the weather.     

There have been a few homes in the first or second season that someone found the ad for, and the staging theme stuff is gone.  

• Like 1

You still need somewhere to store the floaties and other "toys" for the lake.  Even all-weather outdoor furniture often has cushions or other parts that need to be stored.  The kerosene or gas tanks or charcoal for a grill, too, and maintenance equipment for the hot tub.  And shovels and yard maintenance tools.   

• Like 1
(edited)

(I've had a suspicion for a long time that a lot of the vacation rentals aren't rented at all, but just filmed for the show, and used by the family, or sold at a huge profit over the reno costs.    I wonder if there are storage buildings that get ordered, and not installed until after filming.  With supply chain issues, and ordering delays, that everything isn't finished before the episode is finished filming.

I find it interesting that the episode title isn't what Scott calls the project in the episode)    

Tonight's new episode, "Lakeside Luxury". (Limitless Lakeside Retreat is what Scott calls the cottage).  Season 4, episode 8 (maybe episode 8, HGTV is losing track again).  It sounds interesting, and husband and wife,  Emma and Clayton, want to reno their property to make it accessible for people with disabilities.    They're going to eliminate as many steps as possible, and make the house accessible, for Emma too.  The house was the parents house, passed down to Emma, and her brother, to keep in the family.   Emma has MS, and needs an accessible cottage.  What a great resource for renters with a disabled family member.  The cottage is kind of cute.  All of the bedrooms are currently the same size, without a main bedroom with an ensuite.   The back of the garage will work for interior space to expand the floorplan.   There are two lofts.   Emma says her MS gets worse with heat, so no air conditioning at the cottage is very bad. The main bath, and half bath are way too small for accessibility, and the galley kitchen is hideous.    

Scott will add wider doorways, ramps, rework the floorplan to make the cottage better for guests, and for Emma.   The new bath will have a curbless shower.  I can't wait to see the transformation. Debra says this is a very personal project, since her dad is in a wheelchair.  All of the doorways will have low profile sills, and doorways will be 36" wide.   (I think all doorways should be 36" wide.)

I like the way Scott explains how to do the accessible zero entry shower.  And how he explains the space needs for hallways, and living spaces. 

The finished house is spectacular.   Even the kitchen is accessible, with appliances where they can be used.  Even the sliders to the deck are wide enough to get through easily. Even the laundry (a combined washer dryer unit) is accessible. The new bath that's accessible is spectacular.  The ramp leading down to the lake, with grip paint, is so useful. 

Scott is hosting House Hunters Beach Bargains, for the next hour.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
(edited)

New, Season 4 Episode 8, "Lakeview Lodge" (Scott calls it "Coastal Cabin").  Kelly and Paul are the homeowners. Two bedrooms have the worst wallpaper of this season, at least to me.  Then, other areas have flooring samples on the wall.  One bedroom has bizarre flooring on the wall.     The screened porch is lovely, the beach area is beautiful.   There is zero insulation in the walls. 

(The episode guide on HGTV has 12 numbers for episodes, but only lists 8, skips four episodes, and I think they've all aired.)

Only one bath, three bedrooms, with bunk beds in one.  Putting a patio and firepit on the lake side.    The kitchen will be enlarged.  All three bedrooms will have closets, a nice change from previous episodes.   

Cottage is a short-term rental investment, the first short term rental for the couple. 

The cabin exterior looks fantastic in blue.   The interior is beautiful.  I love the new kitchen, and the cabinet color.  SInce it's a short term rental, the open shelving in the kitchen with everything in the open is perfect.   I love the living room gas fireplace, and tile.   The transformation of the screened in porch is amazing. I love the hammock on the screened porch. 

(Again this week the House Hunters episodes following in the next hour will be hosted by Scott)  However, they call them HH but the first is in Tulum, Mexico, and the second is in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, so HHI, or anothe variation.   The indoor waterfall in the condo the Tulum house hunter looked at was amazing). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
On 6/24/2023 at 10:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like Scott's idea of upper cabinets with glass front, to make it easy for renters to find things. 

I hate the open shelving.  If you rent six months of the year and it sits empty in between, you will need to wash every single item on every shelf when you reopen for the season.

And all of the fun items need a place for storage in the off season as well.  And you can't just leave those floaties out in the open during the summer months either.  The fly away at the first puff of wind.  Been there!

• Like 4
(edited)

My guess is over half of these homes are never rented out.    Also, there may be storage sheds built later, or that we don't see.     I think a lot of people just want a remodel, and are willing to pay for it.     I've seen some ads for a few of the homes, and the outside and theme stuff is gone.     I can imagine an expensive floatie would disappear pretty quickly if left out.    

The open shelves only make sense for the real rentals, so short term renters can find everything they need quickly.      I dislike open shelves a lot, but with only a certain number of dishes, and glasses out, it would be easier to manage.   Also, they can get open shelves cheaper than upper cabinets. 

"Waterfront Escape"  Season 4, episode? .  (Scott M calls it Paradise Point)   Scott and Connie built the cabin/cottage years ago with mostly sweat equity.   House is dated, and not everything is finished.   Cute house, great living room with soaring ceilings, lovely huge windows.  decent bedrooms, closet.   Only completed about 90% of the work.  Why do they have two water heaters?   One off the kitchen, and one in the bath/laundry room.  Poor Scott M. is having hysterics over the excuses for not putting up doors, finishing rooms.  I love the couple.  The sunroom is cute, but used as storage now.  Exterior really needs to be painted. 

I love the finished cottage.   It's now adorable, safe, and profitable for renting. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
(edited)

"French Coastal Cottage" new, waterfront home owned by a mother-daughter duo, Susan, and Jacqueline (daughter).  Scott calls it "Classy Country Cottage". I love the sunroom, and the screened in porch could be closed in to make it a four season room.     House is right on the lake, near ski areas, so rentable year round. Susan's adult children are taking over the responsibility for the property.   

Susan warns house is in rough shape.   Why do people use vacation homes as  storage for unwanted items?   Sunroom needs a lot of work.  Great view from house.  Dining/living/kitchen is small.   space is small even in the bedrooms.   It's currently only a two bed, one bath.  bathroom is tiny. downstairs has potential, but needs a lot of work.  Stairs to basement are so narrow, and header is way too short, and furniture doesn't even fit down the stairs.  

Scott will convert the current screen room into a bedroom and entry area.  Expand the kitchen to the current big bedroom upstairs, to enlarge the living area.  The lower level will have a flex space and a kids' bunkroom.   I like the pre-finished tongue-and-groove on a few walls and ceilings.  

Scott makes a good point about using an insulated underlayment in the basement on the slab floor before putting down flooring.   I love the custom furniture shop Debra visits. Repurposing the wagon wheels and axle into a wood holder for the firepit. I don't like the kitchen backsplash, I think the tile is too small, and it's too busy.    I love the finished cottage.   (I noticed there's a big detached garage for storage for 'toys' and supplies.   The new kitchen is huge, and has a lot of storage space. The new main floor bedroom is spectacular, and so is the bathroom.   The four bunks in the downstairs bunk room, with a new second bathroom on the lower level is so lovely.   I think the 3 bed, 2 bath cottage will rent very well. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Thank heaven for my DVR, I can record the program, watch the beginning, FF as soon as Debra shows up, and see the reveal.

Were there really two full bathrooms in that place. I have watched the reveal of the downstairs bath twice and saw no shower.

Did this reno take a full year?  The opening scenes were in the snow, then there were leaves and no snow but the end was back in the snow.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2023 at 3:22 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

I'm fairly new to this show, so just wondering...was Debra ever Scott's girlfriend? I know he's married, but if I didn't know any better, I'd say they've definitely hooked up.

There has been speculation on that in the past.  They are just too cutesy together but his wife and kids have been on the show so who knows.

Personally I cannot stand her.  She needs to go.

• Like 6

New, 30 July, "Sunset Paradise", Scott calls it "Sunset Grove"

Owned by Natalie and Kevin, have family already on the lake, and bought the lakeside cabin.  Cabin in on a rock ledge, tucked away in the trees.  They want to rent it out, to pay the mortgage off, and use it themselves.   Idea is to rent out on weekends.   Screened porch needs a lot of work. Interior is full of parquet floors. Because of house shape, the rooms are odd sizes with angled walls.  Floor in dining is much lower, and sloped.  One bedroom has a great view, and bigger size, so three bedrooms, and a makeshift sleeping area for another guest. Bath is tiny. 

Deck looks lovely, with a wonderful view of the sunsets. Scott will fix the sunporch for a real entry, fix the living room stoe, move and extend the kitchen.  add another bath, a bunk room, upgrade the original bath, add another bedroom, put in a dock, and improve the fire pit area.  Price for rentals will go from $300 a night, to $500. 

The front of cabin is an addition, the entry/sun porch is an addition. Both additions are poorly constructed.   The sign with the cabin name by the entrance to the driveway is a great idea.  The bedrooms and bathrooms are beautiful.   The outdoor features are spectacular.  The sunporch is beautiful, and the entrance is off the main space, and has panels to control the heat from the sun. 

• Like 3
On 6/17/2023 at 11:10 PM, Cancun said:

I agree with everything you said. This was maybe the best episode in all the seasons - great final result without anything weird. I just wish they would give purchase price and reno costs like the other shows do. This one had to be a massively expensive renovation since they nearly tore the place apart.

I just saw this one - Cottage on a Cliff - renovating the cottage Scott's friend bought.  But wow, this was not a renovation but a gut rehab and almost total rebuild with entirely new construction. 

• Like 2

New, "Lakefront Legacy", Ryan and Ashlyn inherited the 100-year old family home.  Season 4, Episode 4 (the number of the episode and the order they air in is bizarre this season).   Scott calls the house "Heritage Hideaway", and that's the name on the cottage sign.  

Scott wants to vault the ceilings, to make the rooms look bigger.   The current ceilings are very low.  Debra wants to use a lakefront picture wallpaper on one wall, which mirrors the lake view.   They're going to redo the deck, add a sunroom and enlarge the house.  Basement will be finished, adding another bath and 2 bedrooms.  House needs major work, and when they start drilling helical supports, the soil is way too soft.  

I love the finished cottage, and the huge deck, but why do they paint everything black?   

There are 14 episodes listed for this season, so a few more are coming. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I wonder how many projects are being filmed at the same time.  We are seeing lots of lengthy work as evidenced by transition from summer to winter during the project. I'm guessing Scott drops in to film a few bits of each one and leaves the bulk of the work to his crew.

On 8/5/2023 at 7:26 PM, Orcinus orca said:

I wonder how many projects are being filmed at the same time.  We are seeing lots of lengthy work as evidenced by transition from summer to winter during the project. I'm guessing Scott drops in to film a few bits of each one and leaves the bulk of the work to his crew.

I spoke to someone who lives in a town where they did a house on the Ty Pennington show where they redid houses for people who had disaster to their homes, or for someone with a disability---I don't remember the name of the show--it was quite a few years ago.  She said the workers were there everyday until the project was done, and Ty would come to town every so often to film.  He did enough work to get it on film, and then he was gone again.  The crew did 99% of the work.  I'm guessing that happens on most reconstruction shows.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Since my suspicion is that the vacation homes are probably on the same huge lake, or neighboring lakes, and in a close proximity,  I bet they film a bunch at one time.      

Tonight's new episode, "Magnificent Mid-Mod", Scott calls it "Mid-Century Get Away".  Andy and Jeff bought the house to help finance their retirement using it as a vacation rental.  House is in a town with lots of attractions, and close to the lake.  I'm looking forward to this one, mid-century should be an interesting change from the cottage themes.  House was built in 1961, and nothing has changed in the house.   The red rugs are so familiar.  Their dog Archie is adorable.   The men are renting a condo for now, want to remodel to mid-century with vintage, and rent it out.   

The living room red shaggy rug is awful, the curved sofa could be reupholstered.  Double fireplaces are original.   It's like looking at a time capsule.  Kitchen is original, too few cabinets and counter space.  Appliances are almond, and very old. Powder room has a green sink and toilet, and they will keep it green. Bedrooms have old probably asbestos floor tile..  The main bath is with blue sink, tub and toilet, with a brown spotted floor and counter top. Nice covered back patio.   Yard needs a fence, and some privacy.  All three bedrooms are similar, tiled floor, wood closet doors.  

Scott will put in hardwoods, change the fireplaces to gas, in the main bath, they'll add a shower. Fix the patio and back yard for privacy and entertaining.  Scott says the current rental value is $200 a night, and could be rented after redo for $500 a night.  

The men want a redo with vintage features.  I'm just glad the hideous bright red carpet is gone.  The old kitchen cabinets were built in place, and couldn't be saved. 

Debra is using a lot of Jadeite kitchen items, and decorations.  She's using Jadeite Green, Gold/Yellow, and Brown . Living room will be converted to a dining room, and the current family room will be the living room. Scott saved the sofa to reupholster it.   

Debra wants to put a porcelain terrazo floors in the bathrooms.  They want to fence the yard, add a pizza oven, and big patio.   Scott is putting in more ceiling beans to open up the kitchen and dining area.    One closet is turned into the walk in shower in the main bath.   The area has vineyards, biking trails along with the cultural attractions, and the lake. 

The vinegar tasting sounds awful, but the welcome basket for guests of various vinegars sounds like a great idea. Interior doors will be painted yellow.  Andy and Jeff are building the wood and metal fence.  I love the fence, the horizontal boards look spectacular. 

I love the finished house, and all of the vintage features.  I love the reupholstered couch. Debra really did a great job on the furnishings and decor selection. I like the powder room wallpaper matching the terrazo floor.  I even like the wallpaper in the main bedroom, it matches the theme. No a fan of the bright gold ceiling in the bedroom.  The main bathroom is spectacular.  The back yard with the covered dining, BBQ station, privacy fence, new patio, and pizza oven is fantastic.   If it's really a vacation rental I know it will rent very well (I suspect a lot of the 'vacation rentals' really aren't rented out). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I did not like the "after" reno at all.  That living room (in my opinion) looked like a jumbled mess with stuff from yard sale with all the colors and patterns. The wall paper in the "green" bathroom did not match the green fixtures at all.  I really thought this was the worse "after" that I have seen.  Calling it "mid century modern" does not mean you can just toss any color and pattern together. MCM is a very specific thing.  I would certainly not rent this house if I saw the pictures on line.  Also, the neighbor's house was quite close.  Putting that smokey pizza oven so near their home was probably not a great idea.  Maybe it is because I really, really, don't like the "designer" and her "cute" antics, but aside from the bright red carpet, I liked the "before" much more than the "after".

• Like 5

I'm not sure you could call that house MCM, it's more just a old house from the 60's.  There really wasn't anything in it that was distinctive at all.  My parents built their house in 1959 and this looked a lot like it. Nobody ever suggested listing it as "MCM" when it went up for sale a few years ago.

The end result was just awful despite the one guy using the word "amazing" about 500 times.  All of the patterns and colors just made my eyes cross.

Thank heavens for the DVR. I watch the first ten minutes and the last 9 or so.  That way I don't have to set eyes on the ditzy blond.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I'm not sure you could call that house MCM, it's more just a old house from the 60's.  There really wasn't anything in it that was distinctive at all.  My parents built their house in 1959 and this looked a lot like it. Nobody ever suggested listing it as "MCM" when it went up for sale a few years ago.

The end result was just awful despite the one guy using the word "amazing" about 500 times.  All of the patterns and colors just made my eyes cross.

Thank heavens for the DVR. I watch the first ten minutes and the last 9 or so.  That way I don't have to set eyes on the ditzy blond.

I totally agree.  The house I grew up in was built in 1958, and it was not anything like MCM.  It was much like this house.  Listing it as Mid Century Modern is false advertising, in my opinion.  I just can't get over how awful the decorating was.   I feel very sorry for the owners.

• Like 2

While I do agree the staging of the living areas was "too much" and too cluttered, that's easy to change.  I did like keeping that sectional.  I also liked how they changed that one room into a dining room and how it flowed well into the kitchen, and the addition of that wooden screen half wall and bar.  That half wall screen seemed very MCM to me.  I also liked the bright fun accent walls in the bedrooms.  I even liked the green and blue bathroom fixtures.  I do agree that the "terrazzo" wallpaper was not good, though and did NOT match/help those green fixtures.  I also thought they might add cabinet vanity enclosure around the green sink rather than leaving the spindly bare metal supports.  So I'd say it's a mixed bag.  As a vacation rental, though, I think it'd be fun.  I once stayed in a place with a massive zoo theme complete with giant stuffed animals and plaster "jungle" elements in each room.  So much fun for a vacation, but not something I'd want to live in permanently. 

• Like 1

That house was way more of a "theme" than trying to be authentic.  It's like when teens now dress up in 80's costumes and it's absolutely nothing anyone actually wore at the time.  This house was a costume. 

I agree that the living room was horribly overcrowded and cluttered but I did like the sectional.  I skip over when Scott and Debra go on activities so I fast forwarded through the vinegar tasting because I could care less.  But.....gross!  The pizza oven also seems like a questionable choice unless you were to provide each guest with a pizza making kit.

I thought it was nice that they kept the blue and green fixtures in the bathroom but the faucets they changed out to were all matte black and kind of clunky.  I didn't really care for how they looked against the pastels but at the same time, I'm not sure what would be more suitable?

Switching gears: it seems like it's always presented that a bunkie is a place for the kids to stay.  Would anyone really let a group of kids stay in a separate building away from the house?  It seems it would be much more suitable for overflow adult guests to have a private space.  But this never seems to be the option given for it's focused purpose.      

New, 19 August, "Lakeview Luxury Inn", Scott calls it "Inn on the Market".

Kat and Kevin just bought a restaurant, and want a vacation home on the top floor.  Their four kids are almost grown, so they have time for the restaurant and rental unit.  They're right on the lake with year round recreation.    They want to do a full service restaurant on the main floor, with the rental until on the second floor.  Second floor has a small ramp from parking to front door, but it will have to be replaced. 

"Upper Story Lake House"  is the sign on the building, it's the upper story, with a separate entrance.  Apparently previous owner used the upstairs for storage, and sleeping, and needed the stairs. 

The upstairs unit is hideous. It's currents only storage for the downstairs restaurant.   The apartment will have 4 bedrooms, 2  baths , one big bedroom will be split into two two-person bedrooms.  The current bath is big but ugly.  Scott will close off the staircase into the restaurant, and convert that space into the second bathroom.   There's another door to a small deck over the restaurant.   Scott will redo the ramp from parking to the apartment.   He'll add a mud room, and improve the current bath, and add another bathroom. 

At the location with year-round amenities, it should rent year round at $500 to $600 a day.  

The after is spectacular.   The copper stand alone tub in the one bath is impressive.   The entry/mud room will be storage for all of the outdoor gear, and big.   The new bath is where the copper tub is, with heated floors for both bathrooms.   I'm not a fan of the brick veneer fireplace surround, and the back splash in the kitchen, and entire walls.  Scott added a sauna.   The kitchen has a huge double copper sink.   I agree with Debra and Scott, apartment will do very well being marketed at adult parties, combined with the bar and restaurant downstairs.    The entry has heated floors, and a full laundry, plus space for coats, boots, and outdoor gear.    I really like the finished rental.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I liked it, too. But I was distracted by the thought of all that copper. Cleaning and polishing copper pots is a p.i,t,a, no matter the shortcut (er, hack). It’s the reason I passed on a free set of copper cookware (the good stuff)—too much upkeep). 

• Like 3

I wonder if the copper has a coating on it, to prevent tarnish?   I loved seeing the copper sink and tub, but I wouldn't like them if they tarnish.    I looked online, and the green patina comes from exposure of raw copper to salt water.   The indoor tubs and sinks don't tarnish, and I suspect the hardware in the kitchen is treated too. 

The ground floor is a restaurant and bar.  The rental was aimed at adult groups, bachelorette parties, reunions, etc.   Scott finished the rental before the restaurant bar was even close to finishing. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 1

I'm afrad that venue would have limited appeal to most people.  Maybe a group of adult friends but I can't imagine a family with kids "vacationing" over a restaurant.  Imagine the noise, the smells, the cars pulling in and out of the parking lot.  And I think they said something about it being a store as well so depending on the hours, there would not be much quiet time.

Not for me, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I had some issues with that restaurant/space upstairs. 

The copper tub looked like it was copper in color, but actually plastic. It looked to lightweight when they carried it it. I also don't like the aesthethic, but that's personal. 

My biggest gripe was the sauna. That was not really thought out by someone who actually uses saunas. So people are expected to walk through the parking lot to the sauna, but what happens to their stuff? Shoes and at least robes need to go somewhere. The space needed a little front room to keep those personal items protected from the environments. And it needed a shower right by the sauna as well. I don't think walking back through a parking lot to take the shower is very practical. Poorly thought out, and somewhat of a first for this team for me. Usually they're pretty good at thinking practically. 

• Like 3