Type keyword(s) to search

Vacation House Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Now, this house looked like an ordinary house thus the normal backyard. You can put in all the little corn hole golf games you want & it’s still a regular backyard. The inside was beautiful but no way in hell am I renting it to regular folk. LOL!!!! It was too nice to rent out. IMO!!!

• Love 2

Yeah, this one screamed, thanks for the remodel of my house.

The backyard? LOL! Looked like bad grass littered with homemade games. You do you, Scott. And maybe, just maybe, Show could spend more time on the remodel and less on the Scott and Debra olympics. Ugh.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I think they should have added a shower to the half-bath. Yeah, the reno was nice, but it wasn’t much of a vacation place, IMO. The owners got there future retirement home upgraded though!

I bet that's exactly what will happen with this house.    They might rent it for a month or two in the summer for a while, to pay off the reno. and the mortgage, and othe costs, but it's really their retirement home.      They might not have added a shower or other plumbing if it's on septic instead of sewer, or it would cost too much to put the additional sewer and water hookups.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

And maybe, just maybe, Show could spend more time on the remodel and less on the Scott and Debra olympics. Ugh.

Scott and Debra got more tiresome as the season went on. They aren't "cute" or even funny  with all their "quips" and silliness.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bunnyette said:

This Facebook post caused much consternation- poor judgement why pose in your bathing suits?

I don't see why they shouldn't?  I know some randos on Facebook think they're fucking but I don't think that should limit an otherwise perfectly fine thing to do.  They were swimming.  They were filmed swimming.  They wore swimsuits and were surrounded by crew. I don't see anything controversial in that. 

On 8/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, satrunrose said:

I also got the feeling that the family was more inclined to use it themselves rather than rent, but I wonder what they're going to do about Scott taking out all the bedroom closets? It's fine to live out of a chest of drawers or suitcase if you"re only there for a few nights/a week, but if you're moving the family there for the summer I would think that's pretty inconvenient. 

I didn't think of the closets but a few weeks ago they removed a garage and put in another bedroom to increase the rental potential.  That'd be fine if it were going to exclusively be a vacation house but they mentioned wanting to retire there eventually.  I'd think they'd want a garage if they do. 

5 hours ago, izabella said:

Country Club Cottage. I liked the finished reno, but it wasn't on the water and not much of a view of anything so it had a built-in disadvantage if it's going to be a rental.

It depends on where it's located. It's not on the water but if it's in a vacation town or close to activities people want to engage in, they might be able to rent it out--assuming they charge less than on-the-water houses.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that the lower price Scott quoted for possible rental prices was rather low, even after the remodel, so I think that was because it wasn't near the lake shore. 

Yeah, I thought he was going to make the huge $500 a night rate but he didn’t even come close. The new nightly rate wasn’t much more then the old one. I also thought it was because their was no view. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet that's exactly what will happen with this house.    They might rent it for a month or two in the summer for a while, to pay off the reno. and the mortgage, and othe costs, but it's really their retirement home.      They might not have added a shower or other plumbing if it's on septic instead of sewer, or it would cost too much to put the additional sewer and water hookups.  

I thought septic was for the toilets. I know nothing about septic systems. BT, I was watching Beach Hunters tonight, and the listing graphic in the corner of the screen said “2.25 baths.” What the heck is a .25 bath?  Quarter of a bathroom? 🤨

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

2.25 baths.” What the heck is a .25 bath?  Quarter of a bathroom? 🤨

It's a bad idea!

And finally, what of the humble quarter bathroom? A room with just one of the four elements—typically a toilet. Quarter bathrooms are rare for good reason. Who doesn’t want to wash their hands after attending to their business? Another type of quarter bathroom is just a shower, often located out by a pool to rinse off.

• LOL 3

All I kept thinking about was how easy it would be for anyone to wander into that backyard when no one was home and help themselves to their choice of the outdoor games/elements. But maybe that says more about me! It just seemed so open to the street. A fence would have been a nice addition.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought septic was for the toilets.

Septics are for all water waste coming from the house.  It has to be large enough to accommodate all bathrooms plus any other discharge such as a dishwasher and washing machine.  In my area, the size of the septic, when building a house, is also mandated by the number of bedrooms with the assumption that an increase in the number of inhabitants means more water use. 

Dollars to donuts, all of these places he's been renovating are on septics.  None of them, other than the carriage house, have been located in areas with sewers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, FoundTime said:

All I kept thinking about was how easy it would be for anyone to wander into that backyard when no one was home and help themselves to their choice of the outdoor games/elements. But maybe that says more about me! It just seemed so open to the street. A fence would have been a nice addition.

I’ve always thought that. I wonder about how much of that fancy outdoor furniture and decor will be lost, stolen, or damaged.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, FoundTime said:

My guess is that after the reveal, and the filming, that all of the outdoor stuff goes back to the supplier, or staging company.  I bet the interior staging is all removed too, unless the homeowner buys some of the furniture, and decor from the company.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that after the reveal, and the filming, that all of the outdoor stuff goes back to the supplier, or staging company.  

While Debra was shopping for outdoor furniture she made it a point that a patio umbrella would be needed for shade. During the reveal there was no patio umbrella on the deck.

Someone also commented during the planning stage that the deck would be at ground level. However, the deck was three steps up from the ground--I counted. Isn't it usually code that a railing is needed for a raised deck? Mike Holmes would not have approved.

YMMV, but I thought the homeowners' original fire pit with the metal surround that had carvings in it was nicer than what they ended up with in the reveal. Apparently it didn't fit in with the "golf" theme. I hope Debra didn't throw it away, like she did with a previous homeowner's toilet seat.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, buttersister said:

Quarter bathrooms are rare for good reason. 

I had a "quarter bathroom" in my dorm room 45 yrs ago & never knew it.  It was just a sink.  The building was built in ~1920 when the campus had only male students.  You often see them in rooming houses in old movies from that era when people took "sponge baths". Handy for shaving & brushing teeth, etc.  

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought septic was for the toilets. I know nothing about septic systems. BT, I was watching Beach Hunters tonight, and the listing graphic in the corner of the screen said “2.25 baths.” What the heck is a .25 bath?  Quarter of a bathroom? 🤨

My guess is it’s a full bath plus a 3/4 bath (shower, no tub) plus a powder room. 1 + 0.75 + 0.5 = 2.25

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So, they're back for season 3.   Rustic Retreat, which redefines cabin in the boonies.    This show finally addresses the septic issue, and say they'll have to add septic capacity, and it will cost at least $20k.   But, the upgrades Scott is talking about will increase their price from $200, to $400 a night for rentals. 

They have a cabin addition, and they'll connect it to the main house with a closed breeze way, make the little cabin into two bedrooms, increasing capacity.   The breezeway will give both cabins access to the main house kitchen, and the bathrooms in the main house.  

Deborah the designer is back, and there are vintage farm tools, and wagon wheels just laying around outside.   The cabin has a big porthole from the dining room into the main bedroom, and it's going bye-bye.   Scott is threatening to take it and install it at Deborah's house.   

Scott wants to add a firepit, outdoor wood burning pizza oven.  So, they will also stock the freezer or fridge (not sure which way they store it) fresh pizza dough, and I guess some pizza add ons.    They're going to have a solid deck with a glassed (probably vinyl windows) between the two cabins, and it looks wide enough to use for seating.    

I love seeing a loon or duck or whatever it is swim by.   

The only bathroom is now big enough to use, and spectacular.   The main house awful loft is now two bedrooms, with doors.   The smaller cabin has a sitting room, a storage area, and two bedrooms. 

I'm not thrilled with the pizza oven, it doesn't look very stable on the base, and in a dry season it will be a fire hazard.   

The second episode is new, but it's two projects, called Scott Knows Best, and this week he's updating the Hawk's Nest (this is a rerun portion from the first two seasons), and his Beach House, on his own property.    Scott purchased a lovely lakeside compound, with several cottages, that all look pretty big to me, and he's going to work on the various buildings at the compound.   Scott's wife, and his two adorable daughters will appear too.   His compound is on Kawartha Lake, 

I suspect each episode of the Scott Knows Best will have his beach compound remodel, and combined with an older episode portion of a previous season home.  

The compound has a huge main house, two additional smaller cottages, the boathouse will be an entertaining space, and they will either build a new playhouse for the girls, or revamp an existing one.   He's going to redo the main house first, and use that as a main base for redoing the other two cottages, boathouse, and any other building.   The main house will sleep at least 10.  The reno budget for the three homes, and boat house, and everything else is $600k.   They'll rent all three homes.   

I have noticed that in the few homes on the first two seasons that were actually rented out, the theme stuff is gone.   The rental ad pictures eliminated all of the theme, and trendy stuff. The carriage house that had an equestrian theme, had none of the staging left.    The art/quilt one from last season had nothing on their advertising about art you can buy or anything else theme related.      

I'm wondering if the compound Scott is redoing is really going to be a family vacation place except for the initial filming?    Actually, I ran across an ad that I think was for the beach compound, and it's almost $900 a night, even if it's Canadian funds, that's still pricey. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I would much rather have had him turn the Rustic Retreat into a 3 bedroom 2 bath instead of a 4 and 1.  Seems like it would have been doable.  I know it’s all about “heads in beds” but when I go away I don’t want to be sharing a bathroom with a bunch of other people, even if we’re all family!

• Love 3

I know it would have cost a lot to redo? upgrade? the septic for a 2nd bathroom, but part of me wondered if it would have been easier/cheaper to add a powder room to the main house, maybe where the downstairs bedroom was?  Granted, people in the extra cabin attached via breezeway would still not have a bathroom, and it's one less bedroom so who knows.  Also, if it's summer and you're in the lake you don't need to go into the house to relieve yourself. :P 

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Also, if it's summer and you're in the lake you don't need to go into the house to relieve yourself. :P 

You know, you'd think so but damn lake water can be cold even in mid-summer. And the cold sort of.... freezes things up lol. 

• LOL 2
On 4/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, they're back for season 3.   Rustic Retreat, which redefines cabin in the boonies.    This show finally addresses the septic issue, and say they'll have to add septic capacity, and it will cost at least $20k.   But, the upgrades Scott is talking about will increase their price from $200, to $400 a night for rentals. 

They have a cabin addition, and they'll connect it to the main house with a closed breeze way, make the little cabin into two bedrooms, increasing capacity.   The breezeway will give both cabins access to the main house kitchen, and the bathrooms in the main house.  

Deborah the designer is back, and there are vintage farm tools, and wagon wheels just laying around outside.   The cabin has a big porthole from the dining room into the main bedroom, and it's going bye-bye.   Scott is threatening to take it and install it at Deborah's house.   

Scott wants to add a firepit, outdoor wood burning pizza oven.  So, they will also stock the freezer or fridge (not sure which way they store it) fresh pizza dough, and I guess some pizza add ons.    They're going to have a solid deck with a glassed (probably vinyl windows) between the two cabins, and it looks wide enough to use for seating.    

I love seeing a loon or duck or whatever it is swim by.   

The only bathroom is now big enough to use, and spectacular.   The main house awful loft is now two bedrooms, with doors.   The smaller cabin has a sitting room, a storage area, and two bedrooms. 

I'm not thrilled with the pizza oven, it doesn't look very stable on the base, and in a dry season it will be a fire hazard.   

The second episode is new, but it's two projects, called Scott Knows Best, and this week he's updating the Hawk's Nest (this is a rerun portion from the first two seasons), and his Beach House, on his own property.    Scott purchased a lovely lakeside compound, with several cottages, that all look pretty big to me, and he's going to work on the various buildings at the compound.   Scott's wife, and his two adorable daughters will appear too.   His compound is on Kawartha Lake, 

I suspect each episode of the Scott Knows Best will have his beach compound remodel, and combined with an older episode portion of a previous season home.  

The compound has a huge main house, two additional smaller cottages, the boathouse will be an entertaining space, and they will either build a new playhouse for the girls, or revamp an existing one.   He's going to redo the main house first, and use that as a main base for redoing the other two cottages, boathouse, and any other building.   The main house will sleep at least 10.  The reno budget for the three homes, and boat house, and everything else is $600k.   They'll rent all three homes.   

I have noticed that in the few homes on the first two seasons that were actually rented out, the theme stuff is gone.   The rental ad pictures eliminated all of the theme, and trendy stuff. The carriage house that had an equestrian theme, had none of the staging left.    The art/quilt one from last season had nothing on their advertising about art you can buy or anything else theme related.      

I'm wondering if the compound Scott is redoing is really going to be a family vacation place except for the initial filming?    Actually, I ran across an ad that I think was for the beach compound, and it's almost $900 a night, even if it's Canadian funds, that's still pricey. 

I know cinder blocks/pavers are heavy but shouldn’t you put some sort glue, cement, sealer in between them for stability? One bad storm comes through and could knock that pizza oven down. Nice idea but it didn’t look stable to me. 

• Love 4

I wonder if the pizza oven is another theme item, and it disappears after the show is filmed?   

Tonight's new one is hysterical.   "Retro Retreat" Multiple rooms have windows looking onto the porch, or into another room.   In one case, the sunroom window which is easy to open, is overlooking the toilet.    The cottage is so 70's, so they're going to redo it vintage 70's.  

I think the Scott Knows Best compound redo of three houses is a four episode series, at least when it was first aired. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I'm sick of Scott and his work wife Deborah flirting with each other and cracking up over each other’s lame-ass jokes.

Me, too. Maybe his wife doesn’t mind, but I cringe and feel rage for her when they’re so blatant. It’s just so disrespectful to his wife and kids and makes me think less of him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I fast forwarded to the reveal and it was beautiful. I liked how he moved the fireplace to the opposite wall to give more room for the kitchen. While I normally wouldn’t be crazy for black cabinets it works for a mountain/lake venue in my opinion. Their big big windows that they already had but were replaced looked amazing with their view. 

• Love 3

I'm sad they aren't leaning into the "theme" more. I'd love to stay at a fun place on holiday. I don't want my week to be spent in a house that looks like mine or my next door neighbours. Some great linoleum, colour in bathrooms etc etc would be wonderful. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I'm sad they aren't leaning into the "theme" more. I'd love to stay at a fun place on holiday. I don't want my week to be spent in a house that looks like mine or my next door neighbours. Some great linoleum, colour in bathrooms etc etc would be wonderful. 

You must have missed the half-bath!

My guess is the Beach House compound with the three homes Scott's redoing are simply for rent.     There is nothing about constantly counting how many people can occupy a house that says family will ever stay there.    I think Scott will do very well on renting that compund out.   I think it's funny that the amounts for renting any of the customer properties keep changing, I guess because of U.S. v. Canadian funds. but it is strange they didn't alter that screen. 

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Debra means to go away.  Now.

It's the two together that's too much. Each on their own is okay, though Debra doesn't seem to have much design talent, or at least she's not allowed to show it here.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 4/23/2022 at 12:37 AM, LittleIggy said:

I'm sick of Scott and his work wife Deborah flirting with each other and cracking up over each other’s lame-ass jokes.

I notice on the family compound Reno, Deborah & Mrs Scott rarely appeared together…

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I bet it's to maximize the filming time with Deborah, and Scott, making it easier to produce the show film footage they need,  and that's why they're doing the storyline about the other house they remodeled on previous seasons cut into the Beach house compound.  Also, I bet in person work means everyone has to get tested during the day too.   

• Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 11:37 PM, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, the jokes are silly. But if that's flirting, I really need to re-evaluate my relationship with a lot of people, including brothers and nephews and others with whom I am casual.

• Love 8

The tiny cabin they're redoing tonight is hideous.  Even with remodeling, it still only 2 bed 1 bath, it's simply too small except for a shared family vacation cabin.    I would be shocked if they actually rent it out.    If they had more money and time, they should have moved the back of the house at least 10 feet back, and that would give them 2 decent bedrooms, and a bigger bath, or even add another bedroom. 

They didn't have heat before, now they have baseboard heat in the bedrooms, and bathroom.  The second bedroom only has a little twin bed.  I hate the sheet metal roofing material in the shower.    The glassed-in sun porch/dining room is nice.  I don't see how they'll make rental income with a three person capacity.    I'm guessing this is a family cabin, but not a rental.   

Scott says to leave the cart with the S'mores station out during rental season, has he ever heard of ants, or raccoons, or bears?      Scott claims they can rent for $715 a night!   I don't see why anyone would pay that much for that cabin.  

I've noticed that a lot of flip houses and remodels, have a trend of painting the exterior dark gray or black.   I hate that the houses are so dark, and I bet the paint will fade out very quickly, and unevenly.  

I suspect that only the ones that are rented are the ones people on here find the ad for, I think the great majority are just redone and filmed for the show.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Scott says to leave the cart with the S'mores station out during rental season, has he ever heard of ants, or raccoons, or bears?      Scott claims they can rent for $715 a night!   I don't see why anyone would pay that much for that cabin.  

Location, location, location. Stupidity, stupidity, stupidity. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The tiny cabin redo still looked tiny because they had a lot of stuff jammed in. Granted, it was staged that way and some things could be removed but it is a tiny space. Most cabins are generally huge with large family’s or multi family’s renting for the weekend/weekend. This house would could that market or rental pool in half. I guess a group of four would be fine but beyond that it might get cramped. I didn’t mind the black color of the house but he did do that just last week. If it’s done again them I’m out. LOL!!! The closed in porch and deck looked nice. Also, the  hot tub, fire pit and dinning were nice additions for the outside.

Unfortunately, the show doesn’t give any location(s) for the renovations that are done (which is so dumb) so I have no idea if the $700 a night was viable or not. I also wish they’d give the renovation cost. It’s great to tell the viewer the potential rental income but how much of a loan are these people just to get the house to look like this. On a shallow note….Scott and Debra looked hot in their bathing wear. 

• Love 1

There were 3 bedrooms…the red and black, the black and white, and the one with the twin bed.  I thought it looked beautiful, and the outside amenities were really nice.  It’s definitely a one family place, but that’s fine, lots of people just go away with their kids.

• Love 7
On 5/1/2022 at 12:14 AM, MartyQui said:

There were 3 bedrooms…the red and black, the black and white, and the one with the twin bed.  I thought it looked beautiful, and the outside amenities were really nice.  It’s definitely a one family place, but that’s fine, lots of people just go away with their kids.

I agree with that. Not everybody likes multi families vacation and are fine with their own 2.5 kids. If you think it’s too small you can always look elsewhere that will fulfill your needs. 

• Love 6