Type keyword(s) to search

Vacation House Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I suspect that a few of the properties were actually only improved for the show, and never rented.   

I think some are just on the show, but never rented out, or they rent them enough to get a rental history, and sell to other investors. . 

The lakeside cottage from the first season that had a horrible layout, and no maintenance, with Scott putting the giant hammock by the dock (I'm sure that's still the son's place to go with his buddies, and a lot of them use the hammock for a launching pad), no one ever saw a rental ad for it.   I suspect that was the  pilot episode, and was never a rental.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, netlyon2 said:

Scott’s reply just made me laugh, so I thought I’d share his post here. 😆 (Yes, that ceiling is very taste-specific, buddy!)

https://www.facebook.com/100044468948037/posts/366934698132159/

Yes. The ceiling was and still ugly. You won’t change my mind Scott. LOL!!! I’m currently watching the Winter Globe episode. It was a beautiful renovation but I don’t like the upper cabinets. I have old oak cabinets and the new ones don’t look any better. LOL!!!! Also, the black/gray bathroom turned out nice. Normally, I think I would hate it but it had a window which offset the dark color. The snow outside was beautiful but I still prefer summer here in Philadelphia and the Jersey shore. I hate the cold. Yes. I know I sound cranky. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1

I hated the kitchen in the Winter Globe one. It looked like they ran out of cabinets and had to find other ones. Plus the white made it too washed out. I also didn't like that not only was each bathroom the same colour but they continued that exact same colour and trim in the mud room area. That den was calling out for some plaid wallpaper. 

7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yes. The ceiling was and still ugly. You won’t change my mind Scott. LOL!!! 

When Debra first suggested just scraping off the loose paint and leaving it ugly, Scott raised his eyebrows. He should have gone with his gut feelings and painted it white, making the ceiling feel 2' higher and not worrying guests that there was water leakage or mold.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I hated the kitchen in the Winter Globe one. It looked like they ran out of cabinets and had to find other ones. Plus the white made it too washed out. I also didn't like that not only was each bathroom the same colour but they continued that exact same colour and trim in the mud room area. That den was calling out for some plaid wallpaper. 

Yeah, I forgot the mud room was painted the same. Now, that I think of it I would have painted the bathrooms a lighter color and still painted the mud room black/gray. It was a good idea to make it a full mud room and that color suited it just fine since it’s just going bring in snow, mud and whatever comes after that. LOL!!!!

16 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It was a good idea to make it a full mud room and that color suited it just fine since it’s just going bring in snow, mud and whatever comes after that. LOL!!!!

But don't people claim a darker colour makes the mud/snow etc even more visible?

• Love 1

"Luxury Latin Lodge".    I wonder how that cabin was even standing?     That place violated every water, electric, building construction, and every other code on the books.     Obviously, it was mostly done by amateurs over the years, and they're lucky it never burned down, or fell down.     I don't see the point of the Spanish tiles, and other decorating features in the middle of the woods, but as long as guests like it, I guess it's OK.   

I don't like the wallpaper on the vertical stair risers.   It just doesn't seem durable.   I don't like the step down into the various rooms either.   I don't understand the amount of outdoor furniture either.     It's not going to be used too much of the year, and then where are they going to store it?   Brass/gold fauctes etc., are too trendy for a vacation rental.    When it's very dated in a year or two, are they going to have to replace everything?     The finished vacation place was nice, but too trendy for my taste, and the floor tile patterns were just too much.  

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Luxury Latin Lodge".    I wonder how that cabin was even standing?     That place violated every water, electric, building construction, and every other code on the books.     Obviously, it was mostly done by amateurs over the years, and they're lucky it never burned down, or fell down.     I don't see the point of the Spanish tiles, and other decorating features in the middle of the woods, but as long as guests like it, I guess it's OK.   

I don't like the wallpaper on the vertical stair risers.   It just doesn't seem durable.   I don't like the step down into the various rooms either.   I don't understand the amount of outdoor furniture either.     It's not going to be used too much of the year, and then where are they going to store it?   Brass/gold fauctes etc., are too trendy for a vacation rental.    When it's very dated in a year or two, are they going to have to replace everything?     The finished vacation place was nice, but too trendy for my taste, and the floor tile patterns were just too much.  

But did you like it? 😏 I generally liked what Debra did, but I agree with you about all the outdoor stuff. I can see those things getting lost, stolen or damaged. Scott’s machine that did the headboard was cool! So was the headboard.

• Love 2

The finished cabin was nice.   However, I thought there were too many very detailed floor tiles.    I think for a long term rental, the hardware in the kitchens and baths should have been a brushed nickel finish.      

The original cabin was in such bad shape, that I would have bulldozed it, or ripped everything down to the studs.   I really wonder who did all of the bizarre plumbing work?    I wonder how many other issues with the plumbing weren't found?   

• Love 1

The house looked nice. Actually, any (real) renovation work would have better (and, safer) then what was there before. To me it looked okayyyyyy. There wasn’t anything that stood out because it looked like a regular home in Small town U.S.A. or Canada. LOL!!!! The deck was nice but that furniture looked like it would blow over if the wind blew. Scott lifted up the planter box and it was so flimsy looking. It was very Target-y. I love Target but the deck furniture wasn’t anything special. I did like the privacy wall. Also, you could see every neighbor in the backyard. I’m going on vacation not to see people so I’d doubt I would rent there. Usually, Scott and Debra go OTT in the backyard but here it was so minimal. It almost looked like a regular home renovation and not for rent. 

• Love 2

I liked all the tiles and patterns.  It was fun, and I liked how the house turned out.  The one thing I would have changed is that upstairs bathroom. It was supposed to serve three bedrooms but it was teeny tiny.  They should have taken the space from the tiny bedroom and used it for a bigger bathroom and some storage for linens, and a stacked washer-dryer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Most of the ads for vacation properties they've updated, and are actually rented out, the extra furniture, and outdoor furniture is often gone.    The Marigold place had the nice outdoor table in the main rental house, and indoors.   However, the extra decorating staging is gone after filming.  

• Love 1

"Beach Bungalow" Really liked the new design, light and fresh, and the living area was so much better laid out.

I laughed that about all the discussion about which direction to lay the scale tiles in the bathroom (including a dad joke from Scott), they were actually put upside down!

The toilet seat, just no. Not even for fun (and those things are expensive too). It makes the bathroom look so tacky. The metal firepit on the other hand was gorgeous!

• Love 2

"Canoe Cabin Retreat" is the usual bizarre floor plan, Debra's theme is Paddler's Paradise. .     The homeowners certainly found a way to get a bunch of people in one medium sized bedroom, with two big beds, and a twin.  I don't like that they paint very nice wood cabinets.       I like that they moved the laundry.   

I don't like the dining room canoe turned light fixture with Edison bulbs.   I don't like Edison bulbs.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Canoe House: Nice improvements with the open space, bedrooms & deck. They did a good job painting the cabinets but I want them either all white or all blue. I still don’t like two tome cabinets. I have never gotten onboard with that trend.  I did have to fast forward to the end due to the annoying son. Yes. I’m heartless. I got the impression that the husband and wife didn’t want to rent out the finished product. I don’t blame them. It was too nice for riff raff like me. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1

I was annoyed at the kid too.    I bet at least half of these vacation homes for rebuilt for 'rental', are not rented out at all.    

I think they can't get enough real rental houses to redo, so they take other homeowners who have the money to pay for the remodel, and want to put the amount of time on camera the show needs. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Canoe House: add me to the list of viewers who found the kid annoying.

Overall, it was a nice home in a beautiful setting.

The first floor layout was odd, as the full bathroom (the only shower on that level) was on the opposite side of the house from the bedrooms. So if I’m staying in one of the two main level bedrooms, I have to traipse though the living and dining areas for my shower. I replayed and froze the screen on the floor plan to be sure. The ensuite for the primary appeared to only have a sink and toilet. And in the middle of the night, it’s a long way to the toilet for the guest room occupants. I wonder if there would have been a way to flip the bathroom location to the bedroom side.

I agree, the owners didn’t seem into renting. When Scott suggested the idea of the equipment stand with add on rental items like a paddle board locked to it, the woman was unenthusiastic in her reply. But maybe she just didn’t understand Scott’s up-sell idea.

Oh, and I, too, did not like the dining light fixture. Nice concept, poorly executed. It looked like it was slapped together.

Edited by Cancun
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t care to see someone’s kid trying to be oh so precocious on an HGTV show. 

I don't think he was trying to be "oh so precocious". He was just being a fairly typical 11-year-old. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I don't think he was trying to be "oh so precocious". He was just being a fairly typical 11-year-old. 

And I'm sure there was prompting by the producers for him to be vocal.  I didn't think he was butting in, just giving his opinion when asked.  How good is the show if the people just stand there quietly.

• Love 2

This Facebook post caused much consternation- poor judgement why pose in your bathing suits?

https://www.facebook.com/100044468948037/posts/378304233661872/

On 8/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, Cetacean said:

And I'm sure there was prompting by the producers for him to be vocal.  I didn't think he was butting in, just giving his opinion when asked.  How good is the show if the people just stand there quietly.

Lol, he’s the first homeowner give real feedback, usually they stand there in silence just nodding

8DCCAE47-4D2A-40C2-AE09-C9E60FED99D6.jpeg

Edited by Bunnyette
  • LOL 2

I also got the feeling that the family was more inclined to use it themselves rather than rent, but I wonder what they're going to do about Scott taking out all the bedroom closets? It's fine to live out of a chest of drawers or suitcase if you"re only there for a few nights/a week, but if you're moving the family there for the summer I would think that's pretty inconvenient. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

It's fine to live out of a chest of drawers or suitcase if you"re only there for a few nights/a week....

Honestly, I would want a closet even for a few days.  Are you supposed to leave the suitcase open on a chair or something?  Even if using the drawers you have to stash the suitcase somewhere.  Some of the rooms are small enough that it would take up space.  Even a small closet would be preferable to me.

• Love 3

Tonight's new episode "Beach Paradise", is a cabin at a spectacular lake with a great view.  So the theme is California beach cottage.   What's wrong with lakeside cottage in Canada?    

I thought the dolphin toilet seat was kind of cute.   Lighter LVP, white cabinets, quartz sparkly white counter tops, and funky pearlized penny round back splash kitchen tile, sounds OK.   I didn't like the counter tops.     Surfboard themed coffee table, I'm not a fan of that.  

I love the deck near the beach.   I like the distance sign poles, but the lettering of the beach names, and distances should have been darker. 

How can Debra say there are no cottages in sight, when there's a big house right next door, and uphill?    I don't see the point of the privacy screens, except around the outdoor shower area.   Just like last week, no closets in the bedroom, just a dresser in one bedroom.  They should have done a double size vanity, with one sink, and additional storage and counter space.    There's no where to put your suitcases, except on the beds, no counter space in the bathroom, no where to hang or store clothes except the one small dresser.  I liked the fire pit. 

Finished product is very nice, but I still don't see the point of California Beach theme.    I bet the beach stuff will disappear before the place is rented, or used by the family. 

I noticed the beach sign was in a bucket, for easy removal.   I wonder if this place is actually rented out, or if like about half of the 'rental' it never is.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Even on vacation I like to hang a few things up on hangers, not hooks, so the wrinkles fall out. Dressers can be musty in places closed up part of the year. If that is the case I'll hang up the bigger stuff and lie my suitcase on the floor of the closet and keep my smaller stuff in there.

• Love 1

That was 💩ty of Debra to throw away the toilet lid. I distinctly heard the husband ask Scott if it had been saved for them. I thought it was a whimsical touch. I liked the iridescent penny tile backsplash.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4

I thought the theme name of California was funny considering Scott and/or the show never mentions the locations of any of the renovations in Canada. Overall, the house turned out beautiful. The bathroom was a major upgrade but I’m totally forgetting if it was still just that bathroom or if there is another one?! I guess I’ll have un-delete the show to check. The outside fire pit was interesting and huge. A bit much for me but it wasn’t horrible. The cabana turned out great but I’m sure that rug will be filthy after one week. Maybe, a painted rug would be a more functional idea. The surfboard coffee table was beautiful. Once again, I can’t stand all the stupid jokes. Everything doesn’t have to be a pun, Scott. I agree about the signs. Nice idea but the writing needed to be done by a professional or somewhat bigger. Debra’s paint choices were nice but I wanted them to paint the whole ceiling white and not just the beams. 

I bet they couldn't add another bathroom, because I'm guessing the house was on septic tank, and not sewer.   

Even if they had the money to do a bigger septic, I bet getting permits would either be a long process, or not even possible to get permission.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

I didn't like that huge rusted firepit globe but maybe they were trying to bring memories of the rusted metal shower stall. I'm so glad they didn't pain the entire ceiling white, that wood was lovely and it needed the contrast. Also nice to see no shaker cabinets. I wouldn't pay $500CA a night though. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet they couldn't add another bathroom, because I'm guessing the house was on septic tank, and not sewer.   

I'm betting that's the case for all of the places they do that only have one bath. I do wish they would at least acknowledge it;  a teaching moment for those not familiar with outback areas.  People that move to my neck of the woods are often astonished when they learn there are no sewers and the cost of the size of the septic they will need for their McMansions on the lake shore.

Am I the only one that finds whatsherface SO annoying?

And what was the deal with calling the toilet seat disgusting?  It wasn't cracked or filthy or moldy, just a themed one.  It wasn't my taste but I wouldn't get so overwrought about it.  Just replace it without the drama of throwing it out.

The cabana was nice but, as a person who lives on a beach, all I can see is the hordes of spiders and bugs that will move onto the furniture and need to be removed on a regular basis.

Edited by Cetacean
additional thoughts
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

And what was the deal with calling the toilet seat disgusting?  It wasn't cracked or filthy or moldy, just a themed one.  It wasn't my taste but I wouldn't get so overwrought about it.  Just replace it without the drama of throwing it out.

The homeowner made of point of saying HE bought the toilet seat and it really annoyed me that Debra was so critical of it. She can be a real bitch and some of the choices she makes ARE disgusting. The toilet seat actually fit in with their "beach" theme so why not use it as a nod to the homeowner? It could always be changed out later, but that should be the homeowner's decision, not some Debra Downer Designer's decision. 

Personally, I think she's a terrible designer.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

The homeowner made of point of saying HE bought the toilet seat and it really annoyed me that Debra was so critical of it. She can be a real bitch and some of the choices she makes ARE disgusting. The toilet seat actually fit in with their "beach" theme so why not use it as a nod to the homeowner? It could always be changed out later, but that should be the homeowner's decision, not some Debra Downer Designer's decision. 

I didn’t hear that! As I noted earlier, at the reveal the husband asked Scott if it had been saved for them. Scott didn’t answer or, if he did, that part was cut.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the owner bought the toilet seat while on vacation and it brought back memories that Debra trashed.  My SIL collects things with a lighthouse theme, so their powder room has a soap dish, pictures, carvings, towels (no toilet seat so far), etc. picked up on vacations over the past 25 years and she remembers where each one came from, how old the kids were, etc.  Not my cup of tea, but I understand the sentiment.  That toilet seat was in the master bath where few people would ever see it.  I can't stand Debra or her "designs"!

They could learn a few things from the Maine Cabin Masters, whose first questions are usually - what do you love and want to keep? I've collected a few gargoyles over the years, starting with a Notre Dame cathedral replica bought on a trip to France in 1972.  I won't be letting Debra anywhere near them!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I find her incredibly annoying. Especially when she's all flirty with Scott and laughing hysterically at his cornball jokes.  Mrs Scott must want to throttle her. Or him. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I find her incredibly annoying. Especially when she's all flirty with Scott and laughing hysterically at his cornball jokes.  Mrs Scott must want to throttle her. Or him. 

SHE flirty with HIM? And I have to admit I laugh, sometimes hysterically, at those cornball jokes too. If Mrs Scott has a problem she should take it up with her husband, not an innocent woman. 

On 8/29/2021 at 5:50 PM, CruiseDiva said:

Really? Compared to most of the others on HGTV she actually has a molecule of talent. At least every single house doesn't look the exact same. 

• Love 3

I think Debra design and paint choices are pretty good. She doesn’t do anything too crazy. The theme idea names drive me batty along with the stupid jokes but overall the finished products turn out pretty nice. I believe her as a designer any day over Christina. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I think Debra design and paint choices are pretty good. She doesn’t do anything too crazy. The theme idea names drive me batty along with the stupid jokes but overall the finished products turn out pretty nice. I believe her as a designer any day over Christina. 

Yeah, I like her choices too. I especially like the photo murals she has put in some houses and the “waterfall stairs” she did in one house.

• Love 2

What I don't like are the themes.   The last one shouldn't have been California Beach, but lakeside cottage in Canada.  

I suspect that the themes are for the show.   I've seen the listings on here of what places like the carriage house look like in the real ads, and all of the staging is gone, and the places look lovely, but not themed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Country Club Cottage. I liked the finished reno, but it wasn't on the water and not much of a view of anything so it had a built-in disadvantage if it's going to be a rental. 

I thought the dining table and chairs were too big for that sunroom space.  If people were actually sitting in those chairs, no one would be able to get up from the table without forcing everyone else to get up.  But I guess they don't really keep that stuff and can just put in something that fits better.

I also thought that "professional, chef-style" kitchen was really big and very high end for a vacation rental.  And sorry, Scott, but the yard is still forgettable. 

• Love 1