Type keyword(s) to search

Vacation House Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really enjoyed Scott's designs, and how he told the homeowners how to keep the home in the family.    I guess the inheritance tax situation is different in Canada?     I really liked the husband, and wife shopping together for the home, it looked like so many shopping trips in my family.   

I liked the white board stair outside railing.    Since it was a set of straight stairs, it won't interfere with moving items up and down the stairs.  

I loved what Scott did, and I'm guessing that house will be rented out constantly.   I liked how Scott told the homeowners that little touches can lead to renters taking care of the property.       I hope they do the flood abatement to keep the house from getting ruined.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

On HGTV.  Scott McGillivray (previously of Income Property) returns with Vacation  House Rules.   Premiered tonight (July 11, 2020).

Article on first episode - Scott McGillivray's "Vacation House Rules" Is Our New Favorite Show

The article said the lake house was in California, but I could swear that the homeowners sounded Canadian. Did he say at the beginning where he was?  I just assumed it was another Canadian show HGTV was using to fill time slots. 

I missed the very beginning, too, so am unsure where they were.  I assumed the article was correct. but they might not be.

I did like the total rearrranging he did - the 4 beds in the bigger room upstairs made the most sense.  Plus the only bathrooms were downstairs and that's better for the "older" folks to sleep on that level, too.  😄  ("older" being the parents and grandparents, or any adults renting with kids).  Let the kids go up and down the stairs for the bathroom.  

I thought the whole "beach" idea at a lake was a bit stupid. None of the "design" was worth using a professional designer. I'd worry about how often that place is going to flood with climate change. 

• Love 3

I felt the designs were cookie cutter basic naval themes, you know, because it's on the water! 

Some of the issues (like the power line) were bizarre to me. Don't they fully inspect the place before they work on it? 

I was also a little taken aback by the different numbers he gave the family. 50% occupancy relates to $75k. He gave them the $150k number when they painted the house (with the smallest brushes he could find). They said they'll use the cabin also, so why give them a 100% occupancy number (which is unrealistic anyway). 

• Love 2

I thought the $150k and $75k was very confusing.    I'm not sure that was a practical number for $150k, because that wasn't a four season cabin without central heat. so they probably will only be able to rent it out half of the year, at most.     Also, if you rent out for the colder six months, you won't get $75k for that half of the year, in the off season.  

• Love 1

It also limits you to use it in the off season. 

His "rules" were also so incredibly profound. Who would've thought that those 5 things are the keys to financial success? 

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I think he's fun and one of the better HGTV personalities, but this show is just kinda odd. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hurrrz said:

Some of the issues (like the power line) were bizarre to me. Don't they fully inspect the place before they work on it? 

I wondered why he didn't have the power lines identified and marked before doing any digging. We always have the people out to do that before doing any work in our yard that involves a shovel.

• Love 2

This show seems poorly timed, to me.  Counting on rental income to pay the bills seems pretty iffy now and probably for the next year or so.  I’m sure this show was probably filmed last summer, but airing it right now just seems weird.  Maybe if they had re-edited it to just be Scott helping families spruce up the family cottage, it would work better for me.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

This show seems poorly timed, to me.  Counting on rental income to pay the bills seems pretty iffy now and probably for the next year or so.  I’m sure this show was probably filmed last summer, but airing it right now just seems weird.  Maybe if they had re-edited it to just be Scott helping families spruce up the family cottage, it would work better for me.

I don’t know. I think that there’s a chance you’re going to have more people interested in renting a vacation place now. I know I am. A house on a lake where  we can cook our own food and relax on a semi-private beach seems more welcoming now than any tourist attraction. 

• Love 14

I live in lower Alabama, about 90 miles to the beach in Florida, and vacation rentals are booming.     The Gulf Alabama beaches are at full occupancy the last I heard.    During the shut down in March, property managers weren't renting vacation rentals, but the phones were ringing off the hook anyway.     I don't understand it, but some still aren't taking any of this seriously.    There are also people renting vacation rentals for isolation for the family, since schools are closed.         

I was amazed, but the vacation rental market is still at full capacity here.    

This might be the perfect time for a vacation house remodel.    Then when the season starts, you have a nice, remodeled, attractive rental property.    I'll keep watching, and picking up tips.  

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, irisheyes said:

I don’t know. I think that there’s a chance you’re going to have more people interested in renting a vacation place now. I know I am. A house on a lake where  we can cook our own food and relax on a semi-private beach seems more welcoming now than any tourist attraction. 

I agree. People are looking for vacations where they can be more isolated and especially that they can drive to rather than fly. I live in Minnesota and resorts in the lakes areas (e.g. Brainerd/Nisswa) and the north shore of Lake Superior are booming. 

I am glad to see Scott back on HGTV. He seems like a very skilled and sensible general contractor, and an all-around nice guy.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 5
(edited)

I've really enjoyed Scott's shows over the years.  I really enjoyed tonight's remodel changing the home to four bedrooms, adding the giant deck with bar, hot tub, fire pit, and all of the lights.       I hope the owners can pay for the remodel quickly with rentals, and I bet have done very well renting the place.     It's a good thing that the remodel happened, with the issues that Scott and his crew found.   I had to laugh when the huge barn door was too close to the wall, and too long to fit.   I don't know if it was a put on or not, it was fun to watch.   

The house inside last night was so much better after the 4 million types of wall paper were removed.    And the flooring was a million times better.     I know Scott said that the theme houses rent better, and for more, but the beer garden outside could have been a big vacation draw without the Bavarian theme.    Just call the outside a party deck or something.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

The first episode was in West Lake, which is in Ontario. I had to Google right away as soon as I heard the homeowners' accents. I really liked it and watched both shows back to back. I loved watching "Income Property." Did HGTV air it through its final ep in 2016? It feels like it's been a good 7 - 8 years since I've seen it.

None of the new design really spoke German Beergarden to me, but I am not from Bavaria, so what do I know. 

Again he's kinda misrepresenting numbers. While $450/night with 50% occupancy can yield a lot of money, it's not like you can cash all of that in. You'll have to pay the listing service you're using, you'll likely have a cleaning person come in after each rental (unless you want to do it yourself), then reserve some money for repairs/maintenance/consumables. Don't get me wrong, you can still make a good chunk, but it's not like you can take 100% of the rental income. 

• Love 2

We're up to the third episode, Executive Escape is the title.   This time on the explanation of costs and profits, he said what the potential executive (where everything is furnished, including bedding, dishes, and everything else the renters need) cost was $500 a night to renters, what the costs to maintain and pay for the insurance, taxes, and any mortgage are, minus expenses of cleaning, etc. between renters.   He also pointed out that for executive rentals, you need to have good quality dishes, glasses, and furnish a decent pantry for tea, coffee, condiments, and other necessities for a high priced rental market. 

This was the most complete explanation, so I'm guessing the first one at the lake was the pilot episode, and maybe the beer garden was another early one, with the profit limited to the gross receipts, and the realistic estimate of how many weeks they could rent for.    He also estimated the most profit would be renting for 12 weeks a year, leaving the rest of the weeks for the owner and her family.   I liked the chain saw bear he had made for the cabin.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

We're up to the third episode, Executive Escape is the title.   This time on the explanation of costs and profits, he said what the potential executive (where everything is furnished, including bedding, dishes, and everything else the renters need) cost was $500 a night to renters, what the costs to maintain and pay for the insurance, taxes, and any mortgage are, minus expenses of cleaning, etc. between renters.   He also pointed out that for executive rentals, you need to have good quality dishes, glasses, and furnish a decent pantry for tea, coffee, condiments, and other necessities for a high priced rental market. 

This was the most complete explanation, so I'm guessing the first one at the lake was the pilot episode, and maybe the beer garden was another early one, with the profit limited to the gross receipts, and the realistic estimate of how many weeks they could rent for.    He also estimated the most profit would be renting for 12 weeks a year, leaving the rest of the weeks for the owner and her family.   I liked the chain saw bear he had made for the cabin.  

It is really nice but I do not like the laundry stackable in the bathroom, why not put it in the hallway? 

(edited)

The other side of the bathroom was that big closet that was mostly useless stuff that the homeowner hadn't cleared out (I bet it was all her mother's stuff she just accumulated and left).      The laundry had to either go in the bathroom, or in the closet, and be accessed through the bedroom, not the hallway.   It was very confusing.  It's too bad they couldn't add another bath with a shower, but there simply wasn't room.  

WHere I live a lot of downstairs half baths are also a full size laundry, and some are even full baths.     Or there is a door between the hall and laundry, and another door leading to the second bathroom.       

I recorded this episode, and had to watch it two or three times to see exactly what the bathroom/closet situation was.   It was the only practical way to put in laundry without moving a lot around, and still enlarge the bathroom. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The other side of the bathroom was that big closet that was mostly useless stuff that the homeowner hadn't cleared out (I bet it was all her mother's stuff she just accumulated and left).      The laundry had to either go in the bathroom, or in the closet, and it would have been in the bedroom, not the hallway.     It's too bad they couldn't add another bath with a shower, but there simply wasn't room.  

WHere I live a lot of downstairs half baths are also a full size laundry, and some are even full baths.     Or there is a door between the hall and laundry, and another door leading to the second bathroom.       

I recorded this episode, and had to watch it two or three times to see exactly what the bathroom/closet situation was.   It was the only practical way to put in laundry without moving a lot around, and still enlarge the bathroom. 

They could build a small laundry room outside the house, it would have worked better, oh well! It is still nice though 

On 7/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really enjoyed Scott's designs, and how he told the homeowners how to keep the home in the family.    I guess the inheritance tax situation is different in Canada?     I really liked the husband, and wife shopping together for the home, it looked like so many shopping trips in my family.   

I liked the white board stair outside railing.    Since it was a set of straight stairs, it won't interfere with moving items up and down the stairs.  

I loved what Scott did, and I'm guessing that house will be rented out constantly.   I liked how Scott told the homeowners that little touches can lead to renters taking care of the property.       I hope they do the flood abatement to keep the house from getting ruined.  

Do you except Scott to tell them to sell it? 😂 I do agree with you with Scott’s designs, it is good to see him back 

• Love 1
(edited)

Having a summer cottage is a very Canadian thing. Unfortunately, homes in Toronto (pretty sure all the places featured are in Ontario) have become so expensive it simply is not an option for most people anymore.  So, there is no shortage of people willing to rent a place for a week or two.  I can see all of these places doing well, and if there is a ski area nearby they could get rentals in the winter too.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the house last night, and I think making it pet friendly was a great idea.   I can't believe the awful condition the house was in before Scott came to help.   

I can't believe less than 25% of rentals are pet friendly. 

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can believe the lack of pet friendly rentals.    One bad renter with an out of control animal, and you have major renovation to do, and that's probably the end of renting to pet owners.  

So write it into the small print that you'll charge them for any damages. 

8 hours ago, buttersister said:

Last night's ep was the first I've seen. Can I have that lakefront cabin? And the bunker? And the doggie palace? It was all very welcoming and well thought through. Nice work, Scott.

This made me chuckle. 🙂 It's actually called a "bunkie". It seems to be a Canadian term. I had never heard it until I watched Sarah Richardson's youtube show where she redecorated her family's cabin on a Georgian Bay island and they have a bunkie.

I thought the design was great and the pet-friendly idea is great for a cabin rental because it is just the kind of vacation where people would want to be able to take their dog. However, I thought the dog house was kind of a waste actually. Sorry, but I don't really think any dog is going to want to hang out there. First it was too big, a dog feels more secure in a space that is just large enough for them to fit in. It wasn't located where any people would be hanging out and, of course, dogs want to be where their people are. OTOH, little kids would probably enjoy playing in it. The outdoor washing station is a great idea not only for dogs but for anyone with muddy feet.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 5
On 8/2/2020 at 11:25 PM, absolutelyido said:

However, I thought the dog house was kind of a waste actually. Sorry, but I don't really think any dog is going to want to hang out there. 

I think it was more of a USP for Instagram posts and advertising. 

• Love 2

And all the time and potential costs with tracking it down and getting the payment.  There's also potential time where you can't rent out the place, depending on the damage, while you're fixing and/or cleaning it up (e.g. pee puddles through out the house or torn up furniture). 

• Love 3

Right. It's part of the wrong calculations that Scott presents in this. You need to factor in damages, you need to factor in consumables, you need to factor in cleaning after every tenant, you need to factor in advertisements/listing fees. His numbers don't do that, and it's unfortunate, I think. 

• Love 5
On 8/4/2020 at 7:53 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The hard part about charging for damages is proving which renter did it, and then collecting.     

I've rented from places where we had to sign a checklist that we had inspected the condition of the rental and turn it in with the keys

• Love 1

I love the transformation from that awful, dark hovel, to a really nice, year round vacation property.   It's going to be rented all year, and I bet they make even more during ski season, than for the summer season.    Just being over the hill from the ski area is going to be fantastic.   too bad it took so long to get the deck approved.  The 'before' on this was hideous.   When the homeowners tell Scott not to step on the deck, then that's scary.    The outside looks wonderful, compared to the before.     I feel sorry for the potential renter that started crying, and left after looking at the rental before.   

Such a great idea to have the alarm with a flashing light.   That rental looks spectacular after Scott finished it.    I love the way Scott updated the stair railings, and sides.   The kitchen is wonderful.    I hate the painted brick fireplace.  

I love the new deck, and the frameless, unobstructed view of the lake with the new deck enclosure.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the transformation from that awful, dark hovel, to a really nice, year round vacation property.   It's going to be rented all year, and I bet they make even more during ski season, than for the summer season.    Just being over the hill from the ski area is going to be fantastic.   too bad it took so long to get the deck approved.  The 'before' on this was hideous.   When the homeowners tell Scott not to step on the deck, then that's scary.    The outside looks wonderful, compared to the before.     I feel sorry for the potential renter that started crying, and left after looking at the rental before.   

Such a great idea to have the alarm with a flashing light.   That rental looks spectacular after Scott finished it.    I love the way Scott updated the stair railings, and sides.   The kitchen is wonderful.    I hate the painted brick fireplace.  

I love the new deck, and the frameless, unobstructed view of the lake with the new deck enclosure.   

It really did turn out nice didn’t it? It looked especially beautiful with the snow & white table on the new deck. The canoes was a cute idea but hopefully the renters don’t try to remove them. LOL!!! The views are incredible. Hopefully, they are able to rent it at that price that Scott suggested. It always sounds great in theory but one never knows. Did they mention where this was located? 

I am not sure that white furniture is the best choice in a vacation rental, especially one on a Lake. I would think that it will get dirty pretty fast especially if there are kids involved.

• Love 3

But she said you can easily wash and bleach it! /s 

I agree, it's a big improvement over the cabin before, but I am not huge on the designs. "We can do this cabin year round! I have a radical idea! Let's theme it after the seasons!" 

• Love 2

The new design was more modern beachy then lake/mountain house. It does have a killer view but it was too modern for me. I wouldn’t turn down a free week but I’m more a beach person. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:25 PM, absolutelyido said:

This made me chuckle. 🙂 It's actually called a "bunkie". It seems to be a Canadian term. I had never heard it until I watched Sarah Richardson's youtube show where she redecorated her family's cabin on a Georgian Bay island and they have a Bunkie.

I saw that same show (only it was on HGTV or TLC back in the day).  I had never heard of a Bunkie either, but in my hypothetical fantasy where I win the lottery and build my dream house I would definitely put in a Bunkie for family and friends to stay!  

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 1

Just watched the 1st episode last night. It's OK, but sort of boring. The original cabin and the later addition looked like a total DIY. Not judging, but Scott is right that customers have high expectations of rentals now.

I remember searching for a cabin in the Poconos, and some of them seemed to be out of a horror movie, or a bad "flipping" show. I said to my hubby, "and do they actually get people to rent these?"

I would not give full-size toiletries to renters. (Scott said it is nice touch and put them in a basket.) We rented a place in MD and I was perfectly happy with some travel-size toiletries. 

I think a lot of the vacation rentals on this show are for a week or two at a time.    I'm guessing that the welcome basket is going to change from toiletries, to coffees, and hot chocolates, and other foods.   

I bet the slip cover will be changed to something darker, or the slip cover is some kind of fabric that will repel dirt and stains.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
5 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I would not give full-size toiletries to renters. (Scott said it is nice touch and put them in a basket.) We rented a place in MD and I was perfectly happy with some travel-size toiletries. 

Personally I would not want to share toiletries with a previous renter.  The little ones are fine with me and if I am staying somewhere for an extended length of time I bring my own favorites.

• Love 2

They're showing a new episode tonight at 7 p.m. Central, and then the Executive Retreat from last week at 8 p.m.      I think a little welcome basket of coffees, and tea would  be nice, but also a little guide to where to call for ski reservations, day trips, restaurants, etc. 

I wonder if they really tried to rent last week's executive retreat out before?   With a dangerous deck, I hope that was just for the show.   

They don't mention internet access either.   For an executive rental, like last week (and tonight's rerun), you really need good communications available to the renters.   

I like the carriage house remodel on tonight's episode.   It certainly was a sad looking carriage house before.   The designer made a great comment about open shelves in the kitchen, so short term renters don't have to hunt for plates, and glasses.     

I usually don't like painting brick or stone, but that greenish fireplace looked so much better painted to match the walls. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think a little welcome basket of coffees, and tea would  be nice, but also a little guide to where to call for ski reservations, day trips, restaurants, etc.   

Info on an unfamiliar area is always appreciated when I travel. I have resorted to reading the yellow pages (when they existed) to try and find things.  A list of local attractions, restaurants, churches, ATMs, shops, etc would be a bit seller for me.

• Love 1

I loved the location of the family cottage and thought it turned out OK.  The carriage house was pretty cool as well.  Not sure they could get quite that much money in rental but I guess it depends on the location.