Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 7/13/2020

TheView
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

...what is Meghan talking about? How did she turn the Tucker Carlson incident into her position on the View?

If Meghan is the only Republican on TV media, what is Tucker Carlson?

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, deirdra said:

That is a good question. Meghan said she is the only Republican on mainstream media. So Fox isn't mainstream?

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Meghan is John McCain’s daughter, so, she’s the only Republican that matters.  Tucker Carlson knows Meghan (I guess), so, that makes him Republican adjacent.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

That is a good question. Meghan said she is the only Republican on mainstream media. So Fox isn't mainstream?

Yet a few weeks ago Meghan was telling us that Fox news has the most viewers in the US.  It may be true of Republicans, but not all Americans.

• Love 7

What was point of  Nutmeg bringing up Bari Weiss?  She just threw it out there without giving any proper context, all to distract from Tucker Carlson.

Just now, sugarbaker design said:

Meghan used to work at Fox News, Fox News and by extension Meghan do not consider themselves to be part of the mainstream media.

Mainstream media is also code word for liberal media.

• Love 16

Well. at least Meghan's friends tried to subtly offer helpful suggestions with the baby books, but of course Meghan's like, "Nah, I don't need 'em; they're boring anyway".  She's such a nice friend, isn't she, and especially because she blabbed on national tv that she threw the books out.

If I was one of Meghan's friends, I might decide to downgrade my baby shower gift, in case she doesn't like it and just chucks it for something else.

The amateurish nature of this show is more appropriate for a cable access channel.  Whoopie seemed taken by surprise that the show was supposed to end when it did.  Yesterday, they did really well at not stepping on each other when going from host to host.  I actually wondered if they had practiced during their off-time.  But today, that was all out the window, and it was back to "normal".

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Why can’t Joy just one time, respond something like this:  Meghan, though you love to say you’ve been “in politics” since the womb, you are NOT in politics. You have been adjacent to politics via your father. My dear, you are not your father, you’ve never held an elected position, and I am not talking about you. 

I would love this!  I pray that she loves being a mom so much that she decides to stay home. None of these women dare put her in her place, must be frustrating.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I just copied and pasted my favorite tweet from Meghan to QE's Bobby Berk, who hates cancel culture:

image.thumb.png.5492d44e1f41a932886e70de3af86a7f.png

Hypocrisy much?

Can someone please respond to Meghan by asking her to explain why her response is not “Cancel Culture”.  

She cannot handle being held accountable for her words. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, lusinia said:

Well. at least Meghan's friends tried to subtly offer helpful suggestions with the baby books, but of course Meghan's like, "Nah, I don't need 'em; they're boring anyway".  She's such a nice friend, isn't she, and especially because she blabbed on national tv that she threw the books out.

If I was one of Meghan's friends, I might decide to downgrade my baby shower gift, in case she doesn't like it and just chucks it for something else.

What?  I didn't see the show yet.   She isn't interested in baby books?   She really is ambivalent about having a child.   I remember DEVOURING baby books when I was pregnant, I wanted to learn EVERYTHING.  

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

What?  I didn't see the show yet.   She isn't interested in baby books?   She really is ambivalent about having a child.   I remember DEVOURING baby books when I was pregnant, I wanted to learn EVERYTHING.  

maybe you didn't already know everything like our girl - politics is not her only specialty.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

She brought up Barrie Weiss, because she is one of her thousands of friends, although she IS a liberal.  I think she did it to break the news, I just got a flash from the NYT's.  I always loathe when those two are on the View, together.  Good Gawd, I hope they don't consider her to be on the panel!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Triviatrish2 said:

She brought up Barrie Weiss, because she is one of her thousands of friends, although she IS a liberal.  I think she did it to break the news, I just got a flash from the NYT's.  I always loathe when those two are on the View, together.  Good Gawd, I hope they don't consider her to be on the panel!

Don't put that out in the air. We don't need that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if Meg would defend Whoopi and decry cancel culture after Whoopi’s Bush brouhaha.

Only if Meghan could make the brouhaha about herself.  Just like how Tucker Carlson's history of racist statements and the firing of his blatantly racist writer became a soliloquy about Meghan the Brave's Uphill Fight to Carry the Conservative Banner on Television.  She's actually become adept at centering herself in all topics.  I'm surprised she hasn't hired a group of schoolchildren to sing folk songs about her Heroic Struggle.  Maybe when her little one is old enough?

1 hour ago, lusinia said:

The amateurish nature of this show is more appropriate for a cable access channel.  Whoopie seemed taken by surprise that the show was supposed to end when it did.  Yesterday, they did really well at not stepping on each other when going from host to host.  I actually wondered if they had practiced during their off-time.  But today, that was all out the window, and it was back to "normal".

How does one moderate a popular talk show for nearly a decade and a half and still get away with acting like it's your first day on the job?  It's bad enough that the women tend to stick to their prescribed roles, but worse that "the most important political show" can't get its shit together and handle things like beginning the show, taking a commercial break, discussing things as planned, or ending the show. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

Plus:

• Whoopi being visibly exasperated anytime someone attempts to speak when she doesn't want them to; no poker face there!
  • Joy interrupting the guest after she has asked the question, so that they cannot answer; or, Joy pausing after she asks a question, then the guest starts to answer, and Joy just throws in another word or two, which interrupts the guest and then everything is awkward af.
  • Whoop saying to MeAgain since she worked at Fox she probably doesn't want to comment and MeAgain vociferously saying, no, I have been waiting for you to call on me, I have a lot to say; and then she blathers on endlessly about cancel culture, which was not the topic at all.
  • MeAgain telling Joy she already had her to turn to speak, now it's MeAgain's turn (so no interrupting of MeAgain); then MeAgain repeatedly interrupting all of the other co-hosts and talking over them so no one can understand a damn thing.

josh macuga professionalism GIF by Collider

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
27 minutes ago, Triviatrish2 said:

although she IS a liberal

According to Wikipedia, in an interview last year she described herself as a "left-leaning centrist", but from a quick glance on Google, it looks like she's considered a conservative by most publications. 

I haven't seen enough of Bari Weiss to have a strong opinion about her, but I would actually take her over Meghan (not with, though.  Meghan's a grown-ass woman and should be able to do her job without having a friend along for company). 

• Love 7

@bannana   You have the patience of a saint to write all of that out because those points are expressly the exact same reasons why I cannot bare to watch the show.  Even reading your perfect descriptions was making me feel very ragey and anxious. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

A couple of articles about the debate on the show today.  MeAgain looks like an idiot when you read the actual words, and the words that Whoopi and Sunny said to counter her.  But she will be proud that she's trending (if she is) because she loved mentioning that she was trending yesterday.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/the-view-ends-in-shouting-match-after-meghan-mccain-comes-out-in-support-of-fox-news-tucker-carlson/

https://decider.com/2020/07/14/the-view-meghan-mccain-cancel-culture-miracle/

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, bannana said:

A couple of articles about the debate on the show today.  MeAgain looks like an idiot when you read the actual words, and the words that Whoopi and Sunny said to counter her.  But she will be proud that she's trending (if she is) because she loved mentioning that she was trending yesterday.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/the-view-ends-in-shouting-match-after-meghan-mccain-comes-out-in-support-of-fox-news-tucker-carlson/

https://decider.com/2020/07/14/the-view-meghan-mccain-cancel-culture-miracle/

This is why Nutmeg is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. She has been trending for her idiocy and the idiot is proud of it, sad!

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
36 minutes ago, lusinia said:

I haven't seen enough of Bari Weiss to have a strong opinion about her, but I would actually take her over Meghan (not with, though.  Meghan's a grown-ass woman and should be able to do her job without having a friend along for company). 

Please, let's stop putting this out in the air.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, lusinia said:

According to Wikipedia, in an interview last year she described herself as a "left-leaning centrist", but from a quick glance on Google, it looks like she's considered a conservative by most publications. 

Bari Weiss, along with her buddy Bill Maher, pose as liberals, but the second they say something illiberal, and Twitter jumps all over them, they yell "Free Speech".  They love their own free speech, they just want to say stupid shit without any consequence.  The Constitution does not guarantee this.  Bari and Meghan, if I remember correctly, went to the same school at one time.  

• Love 8

I hadn't heard about this Tucker Carlson story before today's show, and decided to look up what Blake Neff actually posted, as Sunny recommended we do. What is very interesting is that Fox News came out so strongly against this guy.  There is no spin involved in what they say about him, and what they say about his actions and behaviour.

So the topic today was really about how Tucker was spinning it to say essentially that people make mistakes, and his disdain for those who will be gleeful for this guy losing his job. And that is what MeAgain turned into a conversation about cancel culture.  But the actual topic is that you can get fired for what you say/post/write outside of your job.  Think of all the Karens, etc., who have lost their jobs for getting caught saying stupid racist shit.

MeAgain trying to turn that into a conversation about cancel culture really makes no sense at all.  Employers have the right to fire you.  In this case, TC chose to politicize the firing, which may be why he is going on vacation.

This clip from Fox shows what the company actually said about all of this, as opposed to TC.

I think Whoopi and Sunny were very frustrated to see the topic be hijacked by MeAgain away from the reality of the racism, misogynism and homophobia of this guy, who is TC's writer.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/blake-neff/

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Tucker totally gave a half-ass apology. Blake Neff was his main writer. Of course he has a big part to do with his show! He did not make one bad comment, nor were the comments made many years ago. When the highest rated cable news program's main writer is racist, homophobic, and sexist, there is something very wrong. Does Meghan really want someone like Tucker Carlson to represent her party? Wouldn't she prefer a conservative who doesn't constantly bash black and brown people have a platform on Fox? Meghan gets on my nerves, but I don't think she's a hateful person. She was very affected by what happened to Elijah McClain. She talks a lot about how she supports the gay community. She has a sister who is of color. She is extremely pro military, and there's no way Meghan would let it fly if a lefty said what Tucker Carlson did about Tammy Duckworth. Meghan doesn't have to express that she wants Tucker fired, but I'd expect a little more outrage about this. Different politics are okay. Spreading hatred is not. 

Edited by RealHousewife
Spelling
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, lusinia said:

According to Meghan, Tucker Carlson has an "interesting opinion", Okay, if you think that, that's part of the problem. 

There's a difference between listening to people with differing opinions as long as they're based in the real world, versus having to listen to people who spout wild conspiracy theories and the right wing propaganda du jour.  It's pointless, and a waste of time, and not worthy of respect. 

Exactly!  And yes we need differing opinions but for me that need stops at racist And bigoted Comments.  

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, bannana said:

So the topic today was really about how Tucker was spinning it to say essentially that people make mistakes, and his disdain for those who will be gleeful for this guy losing his job. And that is what MeAgain turned into a conversation about cancel culture.  But the actual topic is that you can get fired for what you say/post/write outside of your job.  Think of all the Karens, etc., who have lost their jobs for getting caught saying stupid racist shit.

If a person behaves in an offensive way (i.e posting racist and misogynistic things on social media) your employer has every right to fire you. The company you work for does not want to be associated with anything racist or misogynistic because it's kinda hard to boycott an individual but it is easy to boycott a company.

If Meghan posted something that was outright racist ABC would cut her loose so fast her head would spin. She would not be the victim of cancel culture. She would be fired with cause.

The fact Tucker Carlson is bemoaning the fact his writer  is being "cancelled" even though he is saying he was unaware and doesn't share those same beliefs tells me he really doesn't care that his writer was posting those things.

• Love 17

Is it my imagination but is there a touch of valley girl in MMs talking today?  And it seems to me that if you’re a writer for someone you generally agree with him and vice versa...otherwise how can you write for his voice?

• Love 8
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:24 AM, Axie said:

Megs, if coming back from a break is so stressful to you, the solution would be to quit.  It’s not like you need the money.

Meghan is never going to quit The View, especially now with the presidential election getting closer. The View gives her the place to stand out because, as she tells us daily, she is the "conservative republican."

What is she is going to do, go back to Fox and blend in with all the rest of them? The View is next best thing to having her own show for Meghan.

• Love 3

Meghan - “The greatest miracle is still me somehow being here,”

Of course Meghan would think she was somehow a part of "the greatest miracle".

Meghan - “The New York Times put out an op-ed about six months ago saying that it was, basically, dangerous to have a conservative woman with this kind of platform on this show.”

I had forgotten about this op-ed from January,  It was right around the time when Abby left the show.  I wish I could read it again to refresh my memory, but can't since the NYT doesn't give people a few free articles a month any more.  But I have no doubt that Meghan is misconstruing what it said.  The article was titled "The View has a Meghan McCain Problem" 

The article was about her, not conservative women in general.  Her reaction to it is just one more example of Meghan conflating dislike and criticism of her with dislike of all conservative women. 

There were conservative women on the show before her, and there will be conservative women on the show after her, whenever that longed-for day comes (and that will be a miracle).    

• Love 13

I was exhausted watching Hot Topics today. How many times can Meghan say 'Cancel Culture' in twenty minutes ? Apparently, a few dozen. I honestly can't figure out what MM was saying, or what her point was - it was just high pitched 'blah, blah, blah...Cancel Culture...blah, blah, blah...Cancel Culture...'

As for her friend Bari Weiss resigning from the NYT because she felt bullied over her opinions:  Maybe the NYT should put in an adult in her position, rather than a 36 year old suffering from delayed adolescence ? There are plenty of adult 36  year olds who would love the job. (Same goes for Meghan). Working in the media - especially today - is not for wimps.

I FF'd through Amy Schumer, and landed at the end when Goldberg realized she had no concept of time. Yes, time sure flies when you're show is running amok.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, lusinia said:

The article was titled "The View has a Meghan McCain Problem" 

The article was about her, not conservative women in general.  Her reaction to it is just one more example of Meghan conflating dislike and criticism of her with dislike of all conservative women. 

There were conservative women on the show before her, and there will be conservative women on the show after her, whenever that longed-for day comes (and that will be a miracle).    

Yes, this. There are plenty of conservative women on cable news shows that don't get written about this way. Two examples are women who used to appear on this show until they made the mistake of trying to have an intelligent conversation with Meghan on her own terms. Now they're on the show much less, (allegedly) at Meghan's request. I wonder why.

Edited by heysmilinstrange
fixing a grammatical error
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, lusinia said:

Because that is what Meghan does with Democrats/Progressives.  She still insists AOC and Congressman Omar are the face of the Democratic Party.  But if someone criticizes a specific conservative Meghan goes ballistic and says how dare you criticize me. And if someone criticizes the Republican party Meghan goes ballistic and says how dare you criticize me.  Her whole identity is tied to her political beliefs. If you were to tell Meghan she needs a hair cut she will say how dare you pick on me for being a conservative.

13 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

As for her friend Bari Weiss resigning from the NYT because she felt bullied over her opinions:  Maybe the NYT should put in an adult in her position, rather than a 36 year old suffering from delayed adolescence ? There are plenty of adult 36  year olds who would love the job. (Same goes for Meghan). Working in the media - especially today - is not for wimps.

I don't know the specifics about any bullying that may have occurred but it seems today anyone who disagrees with what someone says it's being categorized as bullying. Not to go off topic but I made a comment to someone who had commented on a FB friend's post and I told  her she was listening to a certain politician too much and she accused me of name calling.  LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, TimWil said:

This was on another message board:

Meghan is in such deep denial over the sh**tiness of her own party.

And her inability to buy a crib.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

...what is Meghan talking about? How did she turn the Tucker Carlson incident into her position on the View?

Wasn't that incredibly fascinating to watch? She tells Whoopi she's happy to talk about it. (I have assume that whoopi didn't just pull the idea out of nowhere. I think Meghan told a producer she didn't want to talk about that. The look on Whoopi's face gave away. )

Of course Meghan being Meghan, talked and talked but never really actually touched the subject they were speaking on. Except when pushed.

But to your question, yeah I don't know how she turned it into a Meghan the only Conservative in media and how great The View is,  especially her lol.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, lusinia said:

Of course Meghan would think she was somehow a part of "the greatest miracle".

I had forgotten about this op-ed from January,  It was right around the time when Abby left the show.  I wish I could read it again to refresh my memory, but can't since the NYT doesn't give people a few free articles a month any more.  But I have no doubt that Meghan is misconstruing what it said.  The article was titled "The View has a Meghan McCain Problem" 

I just reread that editorial and you’re of course correct.  That’s not what it said.  It was primarily about the toxic atmosphere around her in terms of how she acts and talks to guests and cohosts.  Nothing to do with her conservative stances overall...other than to point out how she has essentially called democrats baby killers, etc.  and it’s not enjoyable or enlightening to listen to her.  

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

I'm beginning to believe that Meghan is using The View to earn her pity party merit badge.

I've never seen such a fortunate woman want to portray herself as this victim all the time. 

11 minutes ago, Goodtimes said:

My Mom and I are convinced Megan mentions this hoping for a free crib (from a high end furniture store, I'm sure). 

Someone should start a gofundme for this heiress! 

• Love 8

When Meghan was saying that all of the women on The View had been cancelled or targeted for cancelling, I couldn't help but think about Meghan's campaign to get Sunny cancelled several months ago.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I don't think having or not having an interest in baby books is a fair gauge of how interested someone is in having a baby.  During my first pregnancy, I read maybe the first couple chapters of What To Expect When You're Expecting and that was it.  Baby books never really interested me.  I just listened to what my doctor said, went to breastfeeding and birthing classes, looked things up online and took advice from friends and family.  Never had any issues beyond the normal ones that all first time parents face (ie, lack of sleep, etc).

That being said, today's show was a mess.  Meghan's rant about cancel culture was completely weird and off topic, the communication issues between the hosts seem to be getting worse (can none of them hear each other?  The longer the quarantine, the worse the talking over one another) and Amy Schumer was the most boring/pointless guest.  

• Love 5